Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 13
Send Topic Print
Cashless Welfare Card System Is Flawed (Read 4997 times)
whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Cashless Welfare Card System Is Flawed
Oct 10th, 2021 at 5:31pm

New employment hubs plan for cashless welfare card, but recipients say the system's flawed   Sad
ABC News
Oct 5 2021

Cashless welfare card users say there have been issues paying for everyday items.

The federal government is inviting organisations in cashless welfare card zones to set up employment hubs, but there are ongoing concerns about the system's design.

Key points:
The Minister for Families and Social Services says employment hubs will support the welfare recipients
Experts have welcomed the idea, but say there are ongoing flaws in the system
Local medicine students have been placed on the card, and say it's a challenge to get off it
A $30 million pool of grant funding has been announced to set up the hubs, which would offer assistance with job seeking, training and financial management for those on the card.

Last week the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder in the West Australian Goldfields said it would be the first to set up a hub.

The cashless welfare card is in operation in Ceduna, East Kimberley, Kalgoorlie, Bundaberg and Hervey Bay.

Trials first began more than five years ago.

Federal Social Services Minister Anne Ruston said it would encourage those on the card to find work.

"The cashless debit card has provided practical support for people to stabilise their lives, but now that they are we want to make sure that we're supporting them into work," she said.

She said engagement with the hubs would be optional.

"It's not a compulsory mechanism, but we would be very keen to encourage people who are on unemployment benefits to avail themselves of this opportunity to make themselves job-ready," Ms Ruston said.

Anne Ruston says the employment hubs will connect unemployed people with businesses struggling to find workers.
Minderoo gives tick of approval
Mining billionaire Andrew Forrest put forward the concept of the card to the federal government in 2014 as one of the recommendations of his Creating Parity report.

Louise Olney leads the Building Community initiative at Dr Forrest's philanthropic organisation, the Minderoo Foundation.

"We're really pleased to see the grants open for communities to make their applications and think this is a great step in supporting these communities and their participation in the cashless debit card," Ms Olney said.

She said the organisation was hearing positive reports about the card's impact.

"We hear from women and the role that they play in supporting their families and the impacts for children — in particular, those kids who are able to go to school having had breakfast and families that have enough for the essentials of life," Ms Olney said.

She said the grants could provide crucial wrap around services for those receiving their benefits through the card.

"These grants are aimed at greater economic participation and I think that it's important to appreciate that it is not the silver bullet, but it's a really important part in supporting families and children," Ms Olney said.

Two young woman stand in front of a building on a campus.
Sara El-Gamil (left) and Devma Desilva are living in Kalgoorlie and studying with the Rural Clinical School of WA.
Medical students placed on the card
But not everyone agrees that the program is going smoothly.

All welfare recipients in locations where the card is operational are placed onto the system.

CDC review inconclusive
Ceduna local holding new cashless welfare card
A review of the government's Cashless Debit Card program finds evidence of a decrease in alcohol use and gambling in trial areas, but participants of the program report feeling "embarrassment and shame".

That includes medical students like Sara El-Gamil on year-long placements in rural or regional communities.

"I used to work maybe 10 to 20 hours a week to support myself prior to moving to Kalgoorlie," she said.

"But now while we're here, we're on prac full-time hours and we don't get paid for any of it.

"The only way I've been able to support myself is through the Centerlink allowance."

She said being put on the card felt disempowering and she imagined that feeling would be even worse for more disadvantaged people.

"To be told that, you're studying and you're working full-time hours, and then there's this government support, but then at the same time, you're not a valued member of society," Ms El-Gamil said.

She said there had been occasions when the system had blocked payments for everyday spending.

"You get anxiety sometimes, using the card in random places, because you're like, 'Is it going to work? Is it going to decline? Are they going to accept the card?'" Ms El-Gamil said.   Sad

Eighty per cent of the 25-year-old's Youth Allowance income goes directly onto the card.

The card is in operation in the Goldfields, East Kimberley, Ceduna and Bundaberg areas and was proposed for Tennant Creek. (Wikipedia)
She said that meant she had to take on credit card debt to ensure payments go through.

IP Logged

whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Re: Cashless Welfare Card System Is Flawed
Reply #1 - Oct 10th, 2021 at 5:37pm

Federal government to roll out $30 million job-ready package for cashless debit card sites
ABC News
Tue 4 May 2021

The federal government will roll out a job-ready package across the four cashless debit card sites to help welfare recipients come off welfare.

Key points:
A Job Ready Package will roll out at all four CDC trial sites
Western Australia senator Matt O'Sullivan will lead the project
Monash University researcher Luke Greenacre says the CDC trials have so far shown minor positive impacts
Senator for Western Australia Matt O'Sullivan has been appointed to lead the $30 million project which he said would cater to the four sites: Ceduna, South Australia,  East Kimberly region, Goldfields, WA and Bundaberg- Hervey Bay in Queensland.

Under the cashless debit card (CDC) program, 80 per cent of an individual's welfare payments are quarantined on a card that cannot be used to purchase alcohol or gambling products.

"We want to see individuals that are there on the cashless debit card actually get off welfare and into a job, and we recognise that there are many barriers that individuals might have to getting off welfare," Senator O'Sullivan said.

Senator for Western Australia Matt O'Sullivan will be visiting each CDC trial site.
"We're going to make sure that we're actually helping people to address whatever barriers they have to employment and getting trained with the skills that are necessary for jobs that actually exist within these communities."

The senator said he would consult each trial site to ensure the support services added to each community it the needs of each region.

"We know that the communities themselves know what will work, and so we're going to listen to that and make sure that that's what we're responding to," he said.

Controversial trial continues
Senator O'Sullivan said the government was still committed to the cashless debit card despite crossbenchers in the Senate last year saying they were not convinced there was enough evidence to show the trials were working.

"We want to see it go on. There's a commitment — not just to the card itself but to the wraparound services and support," he said.

The CDC trial will continue till the end of 2022.
The Department of Social Services released figures recently relating to the card's effect in Ceduna, saying CDC welfare recipients had been prevented from spending about $220,000 on alcohol over five years and $70,000 were blocked by the cards in bottle shops between April 2016 and April 2021.

Monash University researcher Luke Greenacre, who has conducted studies on the CDC trials, said while the figures were large on face value, the numbers were not as dramatic when the number of participants in Ceduna was considered.

"There's about 500 people give or take on the card, and this was over a five-year period. So $220,000,  when you actually divide that by the number of people and over the number of years, that's about $80 per person, per year," he said.

Welcome to Ceduna
About 500 people are on the CDC card in Ceduna, South Australia.
"I'm willing to bet that's more likely the accidental use of the card. They've reached for the wrong card in their wallet when they've been trying to buy a six-pack like everybody tries to buy a six-pack every now and then. "

Way forward
The CDC trials will continue until the last day in December 2022, where Parliament will consider and debate the future of the card.

Mr Greenacre said his research and other studies conducted on the trials so far had shown minor outcomes.

"We're pretty sure that this card is doing nothing at this particular point in time when you actually look at the observed data for what's been changing in the community," Mr Greenacre said.

"The only research results that are showing some kind of positive impact is asking for people's opinion.

"So, at [the card's] cost of about $10,000 per person per year, it's producing remarkably low return on investment.  And if we want to look at stopping an $80 alcohol transaction per person per year, a $10,000 per year per card is quite a big investment.   Sad

"It might be better to look at whether or not an alternative program might be a better approach for this kind of investment."

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #2 - Oct 10th, 2021 at 6:57pm

Yeah - put 'em to digging the roads and rails by hand - that'll learn 'em the value of a good day's work....

WTF else are they going to do out there - census kangaroos - repair the rabbit proof fence - dig the mighty trench to open up Lake Eyre to the sea again
(of course the final tunnel section will be done by hand by the hardened criminals and local jihadists etc .... if we lose a few when the sea breaks in - well... them's the breaks.....)
?

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #3 - Oct 10th, 2021 at 7:08pm

There is a simple cure if you don't like the cashless card.

It's not all that hard and you will never have to deal with the problem again.

Listen very closely kids.
It's important and will help you sped as much as you like when you like.

Get

A

Job.

Ta da

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #4 - Oct 10th, 2021 at 7:09pm

There is a simple cure if you don't like the cashless card.

It's not all that hard and you will never have to deal with the problem again.

Listen very closely kids.
It's important and will help you sped as much as you like when you like.

Get

A

Job.

Ta da

I HAVE A DREAM

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Reply #5 - Oct 10th, 2021 at 7:13pm

The cashless welfare card idea belongs in the rubbish bin.   Sad

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Oct 10th, 2021 at 7:28pm

the cashless welfare card is designed to appeal to morons like valkie

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Reply #7 - Oct 10th, 2021 at 7:31pm

One also has to wonder how many politicians, have shares in the card.   Sad 

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Oct 10th, 2021 at 7:34pm

whiteknight wrote on Oct 10th, 2021 at 7:13pm:
The cashless welfare card idea belongs in the rubbish bin.   Sad

The cashless welfare card is a great idea if you don't like it get a job.

I haven't used cash to pay for anything in the last year it's all done by tap and go with a card.

I guess you will stop whinging when drug dealers accept these cashless welfare cards.

You should post links with post so we can read the parts you don't cut and paste.

Quote:
"The only way I've been able to support myself is through the Centerlink allowance."

Ms Desilva has also tried to get off the card and agreed that navigating the system was difficult.

Getting a job would make it easy to get off this welfare card.

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Grin Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Oct 10th, 2021 at 7:36pm

Baronvonrort wrote on Oct 10th, 2021 at 7:34pm:
I haven't used cash to pay for anything in the last year it's all done by tap and go with a card.

tap and go doesn't dictate what you can and can't buy

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Reply #10 - Oct 10th, 2021 at 7:37pm

So, at [the card's] cost of about $10,000 per person per year, it's producing remarkably low return on investment.  And if we want to look at stopping an $80 alcohol transaction per person per year, a $10,000 per year per card is quite a big investment.    Sad

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Oct 10th, 2021 at 7:55pm

whiteknight wrote on Oct 10th, 2021 at 7:37pm:
So, at [the card's] cost of about $10,000 per person per year, it's producing remarkably low return on investment.  And if we want to look at stopping an $80 alcohol transaction per person per year, a $10,000 per year per card is quite a big investment.    Sad

Did you read the bit in your post about kids going to school after eating breakfast because parents aren't spending money on booze?

It's quite simple if you don't like cashless welfare cards get a job.

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #12 - Oct 10th, 2021 at 8:09pm

John Smith wrote on Oct 10th, 2021 at 7:28pm:
the cashless welfare card is designed to appeal to morons like valkie

That's the way smiffy, get it all out
The anger is a cancer eating away at your core.

We can work you through this, I'll be you sounding board.
Work out your frustrations through me, I can take it.

Repeat to yourself.

I am a worthwhile member of the human race
I can be a normal contributor and nice person.

We will get you over this.

I HAVE A DREAM

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #13 - Oct 10th, 2021 at 8:18pm

The primary purpose of the card is to help the women and children of dysfunctional families.

It's a well know each that some groups simply spend their dole on GROG and drugs.
And while drunk or high, they beat and rape their women and children.
They take the mother's dole and spend it on drugs and GROG.
So the women and children are not fed adequately.
By restricting what the card can be spent on.
(No drugs, GROG or betting)
The children have half a chance of being fed and clothed and the women safer from rape and beatings.

Generally, those who so vehemently oppose the card are those with an agenda, who are on the dole and worry that, if successful, it might just roll out to them as well.

The dole is a previlidge, it is not pay for work, it is not intended to be an income.
It is an aid to help people get over a difficult time in their lives.
People who live on the dole for years and even decades are worthless parasites who are just too DAMN lazy to get a job.
The dole comes from workers pockets, our wages are taken to give it to you.
You SHOUKD be thankful that you get anything and should thank working Australia for everything you have.

I HAVE A DREAM

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #14 - Oct 11th, 2021 at 6:46am

The cashless welfare card (indue ltd) is NOT for those on the dole. Its for anyone with a centerlink payment including DSP and aged pensioners.

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 13
Send Topic Print