Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Thousands Will Be Driven Back Into Poverty (Read 797 times)
whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Thousands Will Be Driven Back Into Poverty
Oct 5th, 2021 at 6:15am

Thousands face income hit as disaster payments are cut:   Sad
WA Today.
October 4, 2021

Thousands of people in electorates across Melbourne and western Sydney will be driven back into poverty with the end of special COVID-related disaster payments, and new analysis warns it could stifle the nation’s recovery out of lockdown. 

Data compiled by the University of NSW shows seats such as Blaxland, Watson and Werriwa in Sydney, and Calwell, Lalor and Holt in Melbourne, have experienced huge increases in people whose financial support will drop dramatically as the disaster payments finish.

People outside a Sydney Centrelink office in July after lockdowns hit the city. UNSW research shows many will take a hit to their finances as assistance is cut by the federal government.

The weekly payments provide $450 for those who have lost fewer than 20 hours of work a week and $750 for those who have lost more. Those on income support who work up to eight hours receive an extra $200 a week.

Once a state or territory reaches 70 per cent full vaccination, people will have to reapply each week that a Commonwealth hotspot declaration remains in place to confirm they can continue to receive the payment.

At 80 per cent full vaccination, the payment will be reduced over two weeks. In the first week, a flat $450 will be paid to anyone who has lost more than eight hours of work while those on income support who have been working will get $100.

Payments to NSW residents could start falling from October 11 and in Victoria in the second half of the month, with the government arguing that as the economy is reopened, employment will recover.

Combined with assistance to businesses, which is also being phased out in line with vaccination targets, the federal government estimates it will spend $20 billion responding to the Delta outbreak.

The University of NSW research, conducted with the Australian Council of Social Service, shows the change in the number of people on JobSeeker and other welfare since September 2019.

Between then and October last year, the number of people receiving support climbed by more than 900,000 to 2.2 million. In addition to JobSeeker, most of these people were receiving the $550-a-fortnight supplement.

Millions of people in all states and territories will lose COVID-19 disaster payments as they are phased out once the 80 per cent vaccination milestone is reached.

A year on, there are still almost 1.7 million people on assistance. An estimated 160,000 of these people will lose the $200 a week.

The report found the end to the extra payment would have a major impact on some of the poorest parts of the country.

“The decisions to exclude people on the lowest income-support payments from the COVID disaster
payment, and to prematurely end that payment, lock them into poverty,” it found. 

“It deprives the worst affected communities of the spending power they need to recover. At the same time, many who are still employed have seen their income and wealth increase or boosted their savings.”

The government, Reserve Bank and economists are expecting the jobs market to recover once lockdowns are removed. Despite recent lockdowns, job ads remain high.

But the UNSW data shows that in a seat such as Blaxland, there are almost 7000 more people on the lowest forms of government assistance than in September 2019 when the NSW jobless rate was 4.5 per cent. It is currently 4.9 per cent.

In the south-western Melbourne seat of Lalor, which takes in areas such as Hoppers Crossing and Tarneit, there are 5700 more people on assistance than two years ago. Victoria’s jobless rate in September 2019 was 4.7 per cent compared to the present rate of 4.1 per cent.

Outside of NSW and Victoria, there several thousand more people in the Queensland seats of Moncrieff, Leichhardt and Fadden on assistance than in September 2019.

The director of the Social Policy Research Centre at UNSW, Carla Treloar, said the research showed the largest overall increase in income support over the past two years had occurred in economically disadvantaged communities.

“These communities already faced high unemployment, as well as a myriad of other challenges. Let’s give them the chance to recover from the pandemic, rather than push them even more into poverty,” she said.

ACOSS chief executive officer Cassandra Goldie said the $25-a-week increase in JobSeeker, put in place by the government this year, was not enough.

“Unless we improve support now, income and social divides will fester across our major cities and outer urban areas,” she said.

“In 2020, we showed we could respond to adversity with co-operation, by providing economic security to the vast majority.

IP Logged

Marla
Gold Member

I really hate you

Colorado
Re: Thousands Will Be Driven Back Into Poverty
Reply #1 - Oct 5th, 2021 at 6:21am

You just have to love capitalism  Smiley

I am a kid in the nuthouse. I am a kid in the psycho zone. Psycho Therapy I am going to burglarize your home.

IP Logged

Ayn Marx
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South of Australia
Reply #2 - Oct 5th, 2021 at 6:26am

Marla wrote on Oct 5th, 2021 at 6:21am:

I’m no fan of capitalism but if you imagine the mongrel mix running most nations is anything like free enterprise you need new glasses.
Take for instance the gleeful way Herr Morrison donates vast sums of taxpayer’s money to private firms. He’s not worried though as he suffers from the delusion he’ll be rewarded by grateful contributions to his next electoral fund raising.

The Human Race is Insane

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #3 - Oct 5th, 2021 at 6:41am

... and this at a time when costs of living have gone through the roof to cater to a mob of layabouts sitting at home during the lockdown with too much money to spend.

When these people at the 'bottom' end of the economic scale come out of this covid, they will hardly be able to rent, let alone ever buy, and they will often be back onto paying tolls for their roads to get to work, to the tune of average $120 or more a week.... hope they work more than a few hours....

Something's gotta break, I tellz yez... and no wonder politicians are taking the opportunity to jump ship before the true disaster arrives at the end of lockdown, when all the little sheep come home.... at once.

But they'll be set for life - what a relief that is to the voting public.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Oct 7th, 2021 at 1:19pm

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Swagman
Gold Member

Beware of cheap imitations......

Illawarra NSW
Reply #5 - Oct 8th, 2021 at 4:29pm

Better then eating cabbage

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Oct 8th, 2021 at 5:17pm

Swagman wrote on Oct 8th, 2021 at 4:29pm:

Better then eating cabbage

whats wrong with cabbage?

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Oct 8th, 2021 at 5:36pm

We have gone into serious debt we're opening up again on Monday in NSW so time for the unemployed to get a job.

Crook is just having a whinge because his once in a lifetime doubling of dole payments from pandemic is gone and unlikely to happen again.

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Oct 8th, 2021 at 7:11pm

"Jobloseren, RAUS!  On der buses und trains for resettlement in Poverty!  You vill receive bread and water at your destination!  Now RAUS or ve send in zer dogs!!  RAUS!!!!"

Kinda reminds you of St Gladys turfing the pensioners out of The Rocks so the Guv could sell the property to its criminal mates..... or driving the Unemployed Embassy out of the Post Office in Martin Place.... RAUS, Skumbaggen!  RAUS!!!!

Ah, yes - there's more to St Gladys than meets the eye of the Beguiled Public.... there's a sucker born every minute and politicians can spot you fools miles off ..... with the Pandora Papers making the headlines is it any wonder the leeches and parasites who sold off valuable property to criminals and gangsters are heading for the hills?

― John Adams

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #9 - Oct 9th, 2021 at 7:15am

Baronvonrort wrote on Oct 8th, 2021 at 5:36pm:
We have gone into serious debt we're opening up again on Monday in NSW so time for the unemployed to get a job.

Crook is just having a whinge because his once in a lifetime doubling of dole payments from pandemic is gone and unlikely to happen again.

Nailed it!

Bludgers just need to get off their arses and get back to work.

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

Ayn Marx
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South of Australia
Reply #10 - Oct 9th, 2021 at 7:44am

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Oct 8th, 2021 at 7:11pm:
"Jobloseren, RAUS!  On der buses und trains for resettlement in Poverty!  You vill receive bread and water at your destination!  Now RAUS or ve send in zer dogs!!  RAUS!!!!"

Kinda reminds you of St Gladys turfing the pensioners out of The Rocks so the Guv could sell the property to its criminal mates..... or driving the Unemployed Embassy out of the Post Office in Martin Place.... RAUS, Skumbaggen!  RAUS!!!!

Ah, yes - there's more to St Gladys than meets the eye of the Beguiled Public.... there's a sucker born every minute and politicians can spot you fools miles off ..... with the Pandora Papers making the headlines is it any wonder the leeches and parasites who sold off valuable property to criminals and gangsters are heading for the hills?

Largely true but replacing that bunch of criminals with a supporter of Opus Dei whose obvious intention is to flagellate the state with rampant privatisation is an insane move. Maybe somebody sufficiently deluded in the NSW Libs imagines this is just the person to take on Morrison? A dimwit who speaks in tongues versus a hair shirt economic/political ultra conservative? What a choice.
Oh well, I suppose anything's better than having Herr Dutton on the throne although Perrottet’s record as NSW finance minister is scary. His attempt to ‘reform’ the NSW public insurer resulted in a $2 billion deficit. Injured workers in their thousands lost their benefits. Perrottet’s callous indifference to the impact of his mismanagement was and is on full display.While all this was taking place two of his office staff were paid for by iCare, an unlawful arrangement.
Fasten your seat belts kiddies, this is going to be a very rough ride. 
« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2021 at 9:45am by Ayn Marx »  

The Human Race is Insane

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Oct 9th, 2021 at 11:24am

Andrew Constance used to be my local Member down on the farm, and was the only Liberal I ever voted for - on the basis of my perception of his integrity.

It would disappoint me if he was named by ICAC in something....

Even I am not infallible in my judgements of people.........
(dig) one or two here are infallible in all things - ask them - as infallible as an Ayatollah passing judgement on a defendant.... chees - even the Pope is no longer considered infallible.......

― John Adams

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #12 - Oct 9th, 2021 at 3:03pm

The only people doing the driving.

Are the lazy dole bludgers who can't be bothered to look for work.

People come from overseas to work on farms, but that's too base for the dole bludgers who would rather complain about not being given enough to do nothing.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Oct 9th, 2021 at 5:43pm

whiteknight wrote on Oct 5th, 2021 at 6:15am:
Thousands face income hit as disaster payments are cut:   Sad
WA Today.
October 4, 2021

Thousands of people in electorates across Melbourne and western Sydney will be driven back into poverty with the end of special COVID-related disaster payments, and new analysis warns it could stifle the nation’s recovery out of lockdown. 

Data compiled by the University of NSW shows seats such as Blaxland, Watson and Werriwa in Sydney, and Calwell, Lalor and Holt in Melbourne, have experienced huge increases in people whose financial support will drop dramatically as the disaster payments finish.

People outside a Sydney Centrelink office in July after lockdowns hit the city. UNSW research shows many will take a hit to their finances as assistance is cut by the federal government.

WORK, ye bastard, and EARN your living.  The payment you get is taken from someone else who IS working, you fccn belly-aching leeches.

I am saying this in a caring and nurturing way, so your feeling are not hurt, you understand.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #14 - Oct 10th, 2021 at 8:50pm

Quote:
Thousands Will Be Driven Back Into Poverty

The right are celebrating.

Apparently people having food and housing is overrated.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print