Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Aboriginal fishing rights (Read 2725 times)
Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Re: Aboriginal fishing rights
Reply #30 - Sep 22nd, 2021 at 11:03am

190 abalone?  Smells fishy to me....................

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #31 - Sep 22nd, 2021 at 7:10pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Sep 22nd, 2021 at 7:31am:
Mattyfisk wrote on Sep 21st, 2021 at 7:46pm:
Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Sep 21st, 2021 at 11:40am:
The Boong doesn't own the lend... merely walking on it doesn't mean you own it... I don't own the township when I go there to shop etc... walking Woolies doesn't mean I own it...

Give 'em a Noweto where they can self-isolate and do things their way to their heart's content... we'll just walk away and leave them to it.... of course a few recalcitrants might refuse this generosity and refuse to go, but we could just move them along, NO?

Exactly. The Boongs walked on it for 60,000 years.

Who put the gift shop and the resort on it?

They still get to walk on it traditionally... nobody stops them and plenny free land out there bro - but they're not allowed to damage or harm anything that belongs to anyone else.  No big deal.  They can still pull a dead roo or a goanna and bake him.  Might get a bit nasty if they want to burn down the bush to get tucker, though...... or skin an entire beach of abalone for profit when the rules say you can only get 1-2.

"Recreational fishers are subject to a daily and possession limit of two abalone per person. There is a minimum size limit of 117 mm and recreational fishers are only permitted to harvest abalone by hand, without the use of surface supplied air or SCUBA."

https://www.environment.gov.au/system/files/consultations/9be7fdd1-8a96-4c09-81d...

Clash of culchuhs, innit? But what traditional Kooner ever needed to scalp more abalone than he could eat at the one time?  Oh - just store 'em on the beach until they are well aged, eh?

Just so. Recreational fishers get two blacklips. The Boongs get ten.

Does FD ever get the feeling he's been cheated?

We'll await the racist/sexist/so unfair howls of self-righteous indignation.

Superior culture, innit.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #32 - Sep 22nd, 2021 at 7:15pm

Valkie wrote on Sep 22nd, 2021 at 8:16am:
By the law at the time England simply took possession of a land that was not populated by any civilization.

There was no central grubberment,
no written language,
no single dialect

Just a bunch of pre-stone age primitives who ran around chucking sticks at animals

There were no buildings
No agriculture

The abbos had their chance, an entire continent incapable of fending off a couple of boats of sea sick saliors.

Not much as a history of a country is it......quite pathetic really.

Just so. No Hills Hoist, no wine cask, no Black Box.

Blacklips. They invented a stick.

Matty invented a sternly written letter to Centrelink.

You?

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #33 - Sep 22nd, 2021 at 7:43pm

It's not hard to find a few Blacklips up around that way for 20 bux each.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #34 - Sep 23rd, 2021 at 12:25am

Mattyfisk wrote on Sep 22nd, 2021 at 7:10pm:
The Boong doesn't own the lend... merely walking on it doesn't mean you own it... I don't own the township when I go there to shop etc... walking Woolies doesn't mean I own it...

Give 'em a Noweto where they can self-isolate and do things their way to their heart's content... we'll just walk away and leave them to it.... of course a few recalcitrants might refuse this generosity and refuse to go, but we could just move them along, NO?

They still get to walk on it traditionally... nobody stops them and plenny free land out there bro - but they're not allowed to damage or harm anything that belongs to anyone else.  No big deal.  They can still pull a dead roo or a goanna and bake him.  Might get a bit nasty if they want to burn down the bush to get tucker, though...... or skin an entire beach of abalone for profit when the rules say you can only get 1-2.

"Recreational fishers are subject to a daily and possession limit of two abalone per person. There is a minimum size limit of 117 mm and recreational fishers are only permitted to harvest abalone by hand, without the use of surface supplied air or SCUBA."

https://www.environment.gov.au/system/files/consultations/9be7fdd1-8a96-4c09-81d...

Clash of culchuhs, innit? But what traditional Kooner ever needed to scalp more abalone than he could eat at the one time?  Oh - just store 'em on the beach until they are well aged, eh?

Superior culture, innit.

So 10 = 190 in Abomaths or they'll run into the sea and shout curses to avoid capture????  I wouldn't want 2 since I don't like anything too fishy in taste.  Prawns and lobster are about my limit there, and fish I like, flatties, bream, whiting, schnapper... yum ... baked schnapper....

'Clare yeself an Abo, Bro, an' yo' cen tek yer ten!!  Dead F**ken Easy!!! Secred Raghts, innit?  Lak dem Secred Sartes an' Rartes, eh? Yo godda smok?

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #35 - Sep 23rd, 2021 at 9:16pm

Johnnie wrote on Sep 22nd, 2021 at 7:43pm:
It's not hard to find a few Blacklips up around that way for 20 bux each.

Sorry, Matty, what did you people invent? You haven't said.

What's the matter, cat got your tongue?

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #36 - Sep 23rd, 2021 at 9:19pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Sep 23rd, 2021 at 12:25am:
Mattyfisk wrote on Sep 22nd, 2021 at 7:10pm:

Superior culture, innit.

So 10 = 190 in Abomaths or they'll run into the sea and shout curses to avoid capture????  I wouldn't want 2 since I don't like anything too fishy in taste.  Prawns and lobster are about my limit there, and fish I like, flatties, bream, whiting, schnapper... yum ... baked schnapper....

'Clare yeself an Abo, Bro, an' yo' cen tek yer ten!!  Dead F**ken Easy!!! Secred Raghts, innit?  Lak dem Secred Sartes an' Rartes, eh? Yo godda smok?

Excuse, I, Aussie, did your Boong get stung for stealing 190 blacklips?

Please explain?

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #37 - Sep 25th, 2021 at 12:08pm

Can't charge a Boong under Whart Man's Law these days, with stealing 190 abalone.... the suckhole media would eat you for breakfast.....

Talk about stupid.... so soon no Boong can be charged with anything in case he/she goes to jail for murder or something, and they can just walk around and do it all again as they choose, eh?  It's their land, no?

A Noweto is looking good.. turn 'em loose inside an electric fenced off reservation and let 'em go at it.... no Land Cruisers, tinny boats, fishing rods and so forth, no healthcare, no dental, no Macca's and no booze and petrol problem....  watch out for the Comancheros bringing in illicit petrol though ... this country lo0ks good for them... a few lizards and roos...

― John Adams

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #38 - Sep 26th, 2021 at 1:34am

190? I heard it was 360 blacklips at least.

You know, like those Jews Moh killed, so unfair. What's the count up to now, FD?

Can we call what the Boongs are doing genocide too?

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #39 - Sep 26th, 2021 at 6:05am

Mattyfisk wrote on Sep 26th, 2021 at 1:34am:

You know, like those Jews Moh killed, so unfair. What's the count up to now, FD?

Are blacklips pink on the inside?

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #40 - Sep 26th, 2021 at 11:46am

Mr Hammer wrote on Sep 26th, 2021 at 6:05am:
Mattyfisk wrote on Sep 26th, 2021 at 1:34am:

Are blacklips pink on the inside?

Excellent point, Homo. They're all pink inside. Not racist, no?

FD never noticed what colour lips they have. He was looking at their beards.
« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2021 at 3:34pm by Mattyfisk »  

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Eganstown, via Daylesford, VIC
Reply #41 - Sep 26th, 2021 at 6:32pm

see next post
« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2021 at 6:50pm by buzzanddidj »  

'I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.
Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.'

- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

IP Logged

buzzanddidj
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Eganstown, via Daylesford, VIC
Reply #42 - Sep 26th, 2021 at 6:49pm

buzzanddidj wrote on Sep 26th, 2021 at 6:32pm:
Mr Mason was due to begin fighting his case in court this week, but
two days before his hearing the Crown dropped the charges.

"The prosecutor considered the material and Mr Mason's representations,
and formed the view that the prosecution should be discontinued
," a spokeswoman for the Department of Primary Industries said.

For Mr Mason, who comes from a long line of Indigenous divers and hunters, this has been "another battle, another hurdle".

He said he had regularly been in trouble with fisheries officers over the years.

"The stress of being prosecuted for what I've done nearly all my life, is mind-boggling," Mr Mason told the ABC.

Mr Mason's case, which has been watched closely by the Aboriginal community on the south coast, is one of dozens that have upset the Yuin people.

They are the traditional owners of that region of NSW, and have lodged a native title claim over their land and waters.

Australia's first Indigenous senior counsel, Tony McAvoy, represented Mr Mason in his matter, as well as two other local men charged with similar offences.

He said there was
a conflict between state fishing laws and federal native title legislation.

"The problem arises that compliance officers on the south coast of NSW are constantly clashing with Aboriginal people who are exercising their rights, their native title rights," he said.

"Those compliance officers are bound by a system that doesn't assume that those native title rights exist."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-12/fishing-rights-abalone-could-have-put-gre...

So to SUMMARISE - if the matter had NOT been dropped it was destined to be thrown out of court, to the embarrassment and humiliation of the department and officers

Not to mention the defendent costs,
coughed up for by the taxpayer

'I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.
Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.'

- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #43 - Sep 27th, 2021 at 7:17am

buzzanddidj wrote on Sep 26th, 2021 at 6:49pm:
buzzanddidj wrote on Sep 26th, 2021 at 6:32pm:
Mr Mason was due to begin fighting his case in court this week, but
two days before his hearing the Crown dropped the charges.

"The prosecutor considered the material and Mr Mason's representations,
and formed the view that the prosecution should be discontinued
," a spokeswoman for the Department of Primary Industries said.

For Mr Mason, who comes from a long line of Indigenous divers and hunters, this has been "another battle, another hurdle".

He said he had regularly been in trouble with fisheries officers over the years.

"The stress of being prosecuted for what I've done nearly all my life, is mind-boggling," Mr Mason told the ABC.

Mr Mason's case, which has been watched closely by the Aboriginal community on the south coast, is one of dozens that have upset the Yuin people.

They are the traditional owners of that region of NSW, and have lodged a native title claim over their land and waters.

Australia's first Indigenous senior counsel, Tony McAvoy, represented Mr Mason in his matter, as well as two other local men charged with similar offences.

He said there was
a conflict between state fishing laws and federal native title legislation.

"The problem arises that compliance officers on the south coast of NSW are constantly clashing with Aboriginal people who are exercising their rights, their native title rights," he said.

"Those compliance officers are bound by a system that doesn't assume that those native title rights exist."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-12/fishing-rights-abalone-could-have-put-gre...

So to SUMMARISE - if the matter had NOT been dropped it was destined to be thrown out of court, to the embarrassment and humiliation of the department and officers

Not to mention the defendent costs,
coughed up for by the taxpayer

So why has he been in trouble with the Fisheries Dept over the years?

And I'd expect that anyone non indigenous caught with more than the bag limit (2) or undersized for Abalone in the future would not be prosecuted ... yeah???  Roll Eyes

They are exempt from having to pay a fishing permit & are allowed to use on occasion whiteys "mesh & trawl" nets?

How is that anywhere near traditional or good for a fishery?

They can also fish in areas everyone else is not allowed...... but permits are required.

Best of both worlds ey?

But it's not all cut & dry if you read the documents attached to/within this Govt DPI site.

https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fishing/aboriginal-fishing/cultural-fishing

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #44 - Sep 27th, 2021 at 8:08am

in simple terms

THE SYSTEM IS RACIST

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print