Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cricket Australia cancels Taliban (Read 390 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Cricket Australia cancels Taliban
Sep 11th, 2021 at 10:24am

Cricket Australia makes own stand against Taliban by cancelling men's Test against Afghanistan

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-09/cricket-australia-makes-its-own-stand-against-the-taliban/100448048

Cricket Australia's simple statement ran to just three lines but it packed a punch, putting the Taliban on notice that parading a men's team around the world as a propaganda exercise, while banning women from playing the game, would not be tolerated in Australia.

"Driving the growth of women's cricket globally is incredibly important to Cricket Australia. Our vision for cricket is that it is a sport for all and we support the game unequivocally for women at every level.

"If recent media reports that women's cricket will not be supported in Afghanistan are substantiated, Cricket Australia would have no alternative but to not host Afghanistan for the proposed Test Match due to be played in Hobart.

"We thank the Australian and Tasmanian Governments for their support on this important issue."

Cricket Australia needed some prompting, but it got there, unlike the world governing body, the International Cricket Council (ICC).

In a thinly veiled message to all sports governing bodies, both domestic and international, Australia's sports minister Richard Colbeck told the ABC earlier this week: "The Taliban's attitudes towards women and their individual rights should not be accepted by the international sporting community".

The ICC is still dillydallying despite Afghanistan being in breach of the agreement that allows them a seat at the top table of international cricket.

To be confirmed as a full member of the ICC requires investment in both men's and women's cricket.

The international governing body, in its own statement, said it would discuss the issues at their next board meeting in November, allowing Afghanistan's men's team to compete in next month's T20 World Cup being hosted by the UAE and Oman.

"The ICC is committed to the long-term growth of women's cricket and despite the cultural and religious challenges in Afghanistan, steady progress had been made in this area since Afghanistan's admission as a Full Member in 2017.

"The ICC has been monitoring the changing situation in Afghanistan and is concerned to note recent media reports that women will no longer be allowed to play cricket.

"This and the impact it will have on the continued development of the game will be discussed by the ICC Board at its next meeting."

Between now and November's board meeting will seem like an eternity for the 25 females in Afghanistan who are contracted players and the thousands of others who play the game recreationally.

Many of them are in hiding and fear for their lives under a regime that despises everything the players have advocated for: the right to play sport, the right to leave the home, the right to independence.

The spokesman for the Taliban's cultural commission told SBS earlier this week that women were allowed to leave the home for essential reasons like shopping, but playing sport was not essential.

He went further on Wednesday.

"I don't think women will be allowed to play cricket because it is not necessary that women should play cricket," Ahmadullah Wasiq said.

"In cricket, they might face a situation where their face and body will not be covered. Islam does not allow women to be seen like this."

That is not true.

It is not Islam that does not allow women to be seen like that, merely the Taliban's strict interpretation of it.

Muslim women play sport around the world while still being committed to their faith, including in Afghanistan until three weeks ago.

While female athletes from other sports such as football, basketball, karate and taekwondo have made it out of the country, many of them being resettled in Australia, there are daily pleas for help coming from members of the cricket fraternity in Afghanistan who feel they have been forgotten.

Australia is regarded as the world's best country when it comes to supporting women's sport.

The 2020 ICC Women's T20 World Cup final at the MCG set a women's cricket world record with 86,174 in attendance.

At the other end of the spectrum there is Afghanistan, which only last November decided for the first time to contract female players. There are 25 of them who up until now remained on the books at the Afghanistan Cricket Board.

At the time it was cause for great celebration in the nation, particularly for Diana Barakzai, one of the founders of the national women's cricket team.

Less than a year after that historic moment she remains in hiding, too afraid to talk, and uncertain whether she'll survive long enough to hear the outcome of the ICC's November board meeting where her future, and others', will be up for "discussion".

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Cricket Australia cancels Taliban
Reply #1 - Sep 11th, 2021 at 12:23pm

Well done Cricket Australia

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Sep 11th, 2021 at 4:45pm

Those at Lords will be pondering over a cup of nice Earl Grey tea as what to do in this situation, it's a tricky one,  to back women being allowed to play sport or not

The Talibans could at least allow women to play sport in Burkas, i would like to see the Burka 11 here providing they are frisked.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #3 - Sep 11th, 2021 at 5:08pm

The ICC's reluctance is typical of many Western institutions who are tacitly approving fanatical Islam for fear of offending sensibilities among mutlticulturalists and Muzzlums.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Sep 11th, 2021 at 6:20pm

And in comes DK Burka, (one of Mohamads wives) and it looks like it's going to be hand grenade bouncer right to the neck!

burka_bowler.jpg (59 KB | 3 )
burka_bowler.jpg

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #5 - Sep 11th, 2021 at 8:49pm

Johnnie wrote on Sep 11th, 2021 at 6:20pm:
And in comes DK Burka, (one of Mohamads wives) and it looks like it's going to be hand grenade bouncer right to the neck!

I'd have to ask what kind of idiot lays the chain east to west when making the pitch.

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Sep 11th, 2021 at 9:57pm

Setanta wrote on Sep 11th, 2021 at 8:49pm:

I'd have to ask what kind of idiot lays the chain east to west when making the pitch.

Good observation, going on those shadows it's almost afternoon tea at the Taliban oval and the 22 yards is carefully chained out.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #7 - Sep 11th, 2021 at 10:00pm

They should have laid the pitch across the gravel road. That would have been sensible.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Sep 11th, 2021 at 10:15pm

We should tell the Taliban we only want the Afghan burked womens 11 here.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #9 - Sep 11th, 2021 at 10:23pm

Setanta wrote on Sep 11th, 2021 at 8:49pm:

I didn't realise that Imran Khan was still bowling.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print