Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Look Out Albo!!! (Read 1384 times)
The Heartless Felon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Look Out Albo!!!
Sep 10th, 2021 at 8:10am

Kristina Keneally's swap into safe Western Sydney seat sparks anger among Labor locals

Kristina Keneally is likely to be moved into a safe lower house seat ahead of the next election.(AAP)
There's substantial anger among members of the Labor Party in Western Sydney that former NSW Premier Kristina Keneally is being parachuted into a very safe seat, pushing aside a promising local candidate in the process.

Key points:
Some Labor politicians and members have expressed anger at plans to parachute Senator Kristina Keneally into a safe western Sydney seat
Critics say Senator Keneally has no connection to the community
Supporters say only a handful of disgruntled members have an issue with the move
Senator Keneally plans to move from the upper house into the Labor stronghold of Fowler at the next election, even though she lives a long way from the electorate.

The seat, which takes in Liverpool, Cabramatta and Fairfield, is one of the most diverse in the nation and the Opposition holds it by a 14 per cent margin.

The incumbent MP, Chris Hayes, is retiring at the next election. He had publicly pushed for Tu Le, a local lawyer with Vietnamese heritage, to replace him, so that federal Labor would better reflect the diversity of the areas it represented.

"It's pretty disappointing and disheartening not just for myself but for the local community to be taken for granted in this way," Ms Le said.

Outgoing Labor MP Chris Hayes had backed local lawyer Tu Le to replace him.(Supplied)
"It's very unfortunate that the voices of the local members aren't heard."

Ms Le, who represents exploited migrant workers and is a youth leader at the Vietnamese Buddhist Youth Association, said she had dedicated her life to serving her community.

She added that while she had "great respect" for Senator Keneally, the move was a "missed opportunity" by Labor to broaden the cultural diversity within its ranks and "walk the talk".

"I don't think that not living in the electorate will preclude you from being a great representative for the area, I just think that we need more diverse voices in Parliament."

'Labor is telling them who they can vote for'
Mr Hayes's brother, Gerard, the national president of the influential Health Services Union, was even more scathing.

"It's a bit like Hong Kong," he said.

"People can vote, but Labor is telling them who they can vote for — irrespective of the candidate."

"Why are we losing our base? Because we do stuff like this."

Some federal MPs agree with that sentiment, but would only comment anonymously due to the potential of internal ramifications.

"This is Labor at its worst," one said.

IP Logged

Ayn Marx
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South of Australia
Re: Look Out Albo!!!
Reply #1 - Sep 10th, 2021 at 8:40am

Penny Wong for Prime Minister?
Upset a lot of you real blokes I suspect.

The Human Race is Insane

IP Logged

Vic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne Victoria
Reply #2 - Sep 10th, 2021 at 8:47am

Is this for the greater good?    I quite like Ms Keneally and I believe she could be what it takes to get the Federal Labor Leadership back on top!   ALBO is a nice guy, but hopeless, Keneally is not afraid to get her heels stuck in and seems to make an impact.    Whilst it shouldn't be an issue, her deep religious affiliations should help to make a decent dent in ScoMos affiliations and they can counter each other "bible for bible" as it were.    Labor will be in the wilderness for years unless there is some radical change at the top - and I agree with some posters view of moving Penny Wong into the lower house would be a great idea - as long as someone of her ilk is available to take over in the Senate.      Time for the Albos, Bills, Tanya's and others to fade away.

Football, Meat Pies, Kangaroos and Liberal Lies
Football, Meat Pies, Kangaroos and Liberal Lies

IP Logged

Belgarion
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Sep 10th, 2021 at 9:04am

Vic wrote on Sep 10th, 2021 at 8:47am:
Is this for the greater good?    I quite like Ms Keneally and I believe she could be what it takes to get the Federal Labor Leadership back on top!   ALBO is a nice guy, but hopeless, Keneally is not afraid to get her heels stuck in and seems to make an impact.    Whilst it shouldn't be an issue, her deep religious affiliations should help to make a decent dent in ScoMos affiliations and they can counter each other "bible for bible" as it were.    Labor will be in the wilderness for years unless there is some radical change at the top - and I agree with some posters view of moving Penny Wong into the lower house would be a great idea - as long as someone of her ilk is available to take over in the Senate.      Time for the Albos, Bills, Tanya's and others to fade away.

Wong is the ideal candidate to guarantee the woke vote - a female gay ethnic.  All she has to do is cut off a leg and she has the disabled base covered as well!  Grin

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Voltaire.....(possibly)

IP Logged

The Heartless Felon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Sep 10th, 2021 at 9:07am

"This is Labor at its worst," one said.

Another described it as "a bad look, which will disenfranchise the local community".

A third pointed out Senator Keneally owned a property on Scotland Island in the affluent Pittwater area of Sydney, suggesting she would have a hard time understanding the day-to-day experience of many people in the Western Sydney Fowler electorate.

Labor, the party of the some people...

IP Logged

Belgarion
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Sep 10th, 2021 at 9:12am

This will certainly be an own goal for Labor. Serve them right if Ms Le decides to run as an independent.

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Voltaire.....(possibly)

IP Logged

The Heartless Felon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Sep 10th, 2021 at 9:25am

Senator Keneally's move to Fowler has been speculated about for months.

She is currently the Opposition's Deputy Senate Leader, but despite her seniority has been in a tussle with her right-faction colleague Deb O'Neill for top spot on the NSW Senate ticket at the next election. Senator O'Neill has strong union backing and the outcome had been uncertain.

If she had lost, Senator Keneally may have struggled to be re-elected from third spot on the ticket. Second place is reserved for a member of the party's left-faction, most likely Jenny McAllister.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Sep 10th, 2021 at 10:17am

Face of diversity elbowed out as Labor head office puts Keneally first

Until this week, Tu Le was shaping up as the next Labor MP in the party’s heartland seat of Fowler.

The 30-year-old lawyer from western Sydney did not see herself as a political hotshot – she says preselection would simply have been the next step in her community advocacy work.

As the daughter of Vietnamese refugees and a campaigner for migrant worker rights, Ms Le was – according to outgoing local Labor MP Chris Hayes – the “great ­Australian story."

But despite having the backing of Mr Hayes, who has held the seat for more than a decade, Ms Le was overlooked by the party’s head office in favour of Kristina Keneally, Labor’s federal home affairs spokeswoman.
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/nation/great-australian-story-but-keneally-come...

Well, is she is eying the Labor leadership then ScoMo will beat Menzies and Howard as the longest serving PM. Same if Albo stays leader.

In fact, is there ANY viable Labor leader? Anyone who is known for achieving anything?

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Sep 10th, 2021 at 11:19am

Vic wrote on Sep 10th, 2021 at 8:47am:

If you think Labor's going to be "in the wilderness for years", you haven't been paying attention.

Oppositions don't win elections, governments lose them. The current government has the worst record of any federal government seeking another term in office: a massive debt accrued in just seven years that will take decades to pay down and nothing to show for it, mishandling of multiple crises, the stench of crony corruption, a lack of transparency, and many other reasons. The government is on track for a thumping loss at the next election. It has gotten so bad that even their propaganda division at Newscorp cannot save them.

In other words, it doesn't matter much who leads Labor to the next election. Albanese could end up being replaced as PM if he isn't up to scratch (as Abbott was), or Albanese could come into his own as PM and serve several terms (as Howard did). But he should be given a chance. Australia surely cannot afford another term of the current government.

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are only entitled to hold opinions that you can defend through sound, reasoned argument.

IP Logged

Fuzzball
Gold Member

Australia
Reply #9 - Sep 10th, 2021 at 1:17pm

Kenneally is a bible bashing idiot, but maybe Labor can replace the existing idiot Benny Hillanese with a failure from NSW, a better looking version of elephant arse Gillard..... Grin

Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
"Holy Sh!t ... What a Ride!"

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #10 - Sep 10th, 2021 at 2:22pm

Cute when she was a bit younger.  A bit of a PMILTF

IBI

IP Logged

John Dillermand
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Sep 10th, 2021 at 2:58pm

Frank wrote on Sep 10th, 2021 at 10:17am:

Until this week, Tu Le was shaping up as the next Labor MP in the party’s heartland seat of Fowler.

The 30-year-old lawyer from western Sydney did not see herself as a political hotshot – she says preselection would simply have been the next step in her community advocacy work.

As the daughter of Vietnamese refugees and a campaigner for migrant worker rights, Ms Le was – according to outgoing local Labor MP Chris Hayes – the “great ­Australian story."

But despite having the backing of Mr Hayes, who has held the seat for more than a decade, Ms Le was overlooked by the party’s head office in favour of Kristina Keneally, Labor’s federal home affairs spokeswoman.
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/nation/great-australian-story-but-keneally-come...

Well, is she is eying the Labor leadership then ScoMo will beat Menzies and Howard as the longest serving PM. Same if Albo stays leader.

In fact, is there ANY viable Labor leader? Anyone who is known for achieving anything?

I like the look of Julian Hill. Plus if you look at that criteria, what essentially did half the Liberals qualify under?

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Sep 10th, 2021 at 5:17pm

I like Keneally but it should be up to the rank and file to decide who represents them in any seat.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #13 - Sep 10th, 2021 at 5:21pm

John Dillermand wrote on Sep 10th, 2021 at 2:58pm:
Frank wrote on Sep 10th, 2021 at 10:17am:

I like the look of Julian Hill. Plus if you look at that criteria, what essentially did half the Liberals qualify under?

Never heard of him, but he looks like a drop kick

IBI

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #14 - Sep 10th, 2021 at 5:22pm

PMILTF?

IBI

IP Logged