Send Topic Print
Racism Warning (Read 36042 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Racism Warning
Reply #315 - Mar 31st, 2022 at 5:58pm

The NSW government has found another excuse to extend the "temporary" closure of Mt Warning National Park yet again. When are they going to reveal their true agenda to impose a race-based closure of the summit trail?

The only news website covering this that I can find is the courier mail, which is paywalled.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

MeisterEckhart
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #316 - Mar 31st, 2022 at 6:05pm

Paywalling!!!

Sheeitt! Ain't it everywhere!

The average news and movie tragic would be paying over $200 a month for access to major news and movie sites.

No wonder free fake news and crappy amatuer news sites are attracting viewers!

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #317 - Jun 5th, 2022 at 11:29am

Still no sign of a decision being announced, though it was probably made 2 years ago. And I am seeing more news reports of aboriginal groups from around the country pushing for more racist lockouts, or generally rent-seeking.

The next Uluru? Hikers and Aboriginal elders await decision on closure of Wollumbin summit

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2022/jun/05/the-next-uluru-hikers-and-aboriginal-elders-await-decision-on-closure-of-wollumbin-summit?fbclid=IwAR1HvheTE_Jy_Dnq_b6AFoROtB2mwH4-8NpWJNFjtBh3mItntLDeVyUG64M

The NSW government faces a delicate balancing act as it considers the future of a popular walking track, which has been shut for two years on cultural and safety grounds

For more than two years, one of Australia’s most popular walking tracks has been missing a pivotal element – walkers.

Every year more than 100,000 people would venture to the world heritage-listed Wollumbin national park near the northern New South Wales town of Murwillumbah, many of them drawn to the 4.4km track that leads to the 1,157 metre summit of the mountain that shares its name.

Wollumbin, formerly known as Mount Warning, is the remnant central vent of an ancient volcano. Since the track to the summit was completed in 1909, countless locals, school groups and tourists have relished the chance to stand atop its peak.

However, many Indigenous elders have watched them do so with a sense of disappointment, frustration and, in more recent times, anger.

The suggestion Wollumbin might close for good has attracted the attention of self-described “right to climb” advocates such as geologist Marc Hendrickx, who previously railed against Uluru’s closure.

“Mount Warning is a national treasure and the treatment of it by the people who are supposed to be looking after it is reprehensible,” he says.

Hendrickx claims there are differing Indigenous opinions about the mountain’s significance, pointing to Marlene Boyd, a local elder who told the Tweed Daily News in 2007, towards the end of her life, she had no qualms with walkers scaling the mountain.

“I do not oppose the public climbing of Mount Warning,” she said, explaining that her family’s tribe was the original custodian of the mountain and her mother Millie was its Gulgan (keeper). “How can the public experience the spiritual significance of this land if they do not climb the summit and witness creation?”

When told of this testimony, Knight highlights the sensitivities of the debate by revealing “Nanny Millie” was his grandfather’s sister and his grandfather was against non-elders climbing Wollumbin.

“Nanny Millie was a keeper and that’s totally different to being a law person,” he says. “My pop was a lawman who spread the law about culture. As a lawman, his voice carried weight.”

A NSW NPWS spokesperson told Guardian Australia that an Aboriginal place management plan had been completed and was prepared in consultation with the Indigenous community, including the Wollumbin Consultative Group, which represents a range of Aboriginal groups and families with connections to the mountain and has provided advice to national parks service since 2000.

“The Aboriginal community has expressed a clear view that public access to the summit of Wollumbin is not culturally appropriate or culturally safe,” they said.

A delicate balancing act

The NSW national parks service is not alone in facing the challenge of balancing popular walking trails with traditional beliefs.

While the 2019 ban on climbing Uluru received extensive coverage, local Indigenous groups have made similar calls regarding the likes of St Mary Peak in South Australia’s Flinders Ranges, Bluff Knoll in Western Australia’s Stirling Range and Mount Tibrogargan and Mount Beerwah in Queensland’s Glass House Mountains. None of those has yet resulted in an official ban, but Mount Gillen in Alice Springs was immediately closed to walkers when it was registered as a sacred site in late 2020.

Back at Mt Warning Rainforest Park, Bourchier believes NSW NPWS has already made up its mind about the future of Wollumbin.

A NSW NPWS spokesperson told Guardian Australia that an Aboriginal place management plan had been completed and was prepared in consultation with the Indigenous community, including the Wollumbin Consultative Group, which represents a range of Aboriginal groups and families with connections to the mountain and has provided advice to national parks service since 2000.

“The Aboriginal community has expressed a clear view that public access to the summit of Wollumbin is not culturally appropriate or culturally safe,” they said.

A delicate balancing act
The NSW national parks service is not alone in facing the challenge of balancing popular walking trails with traditional beliefs.

While the 2019 ban on climbing Uluru received extensive coverage, local Indigenous groups have made similar calls regarding the likes of St Mary Peak in South Australia’s Flinders Ranges, Bluff Knoll in Western Australia’s Stirling Range and Mount Tibrogargan and Mount Beerwah in Queensland’s Glass House Mountains. None of those has yet resulted in an official ban, but Mount Gillen in Alice Springs was immediately closed to walkers when it was registered as a sacred site in late 2020.

Back at Mt Warning Rainforest Park, Bourchier believes NSW NPWS has already made up its mind about the future of Wollumbin.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #318 - Jun 6th, 2022 at 1:12pm

True Fascists - left or right, are always like that...

"Back at Mt Warning Rainforest Park, Bourchier believes NSW NPWS has already made up its mind about the future of Wollumbin. "

It's way past time NPWS was brought to heel and made to work for the people of this state.  Fat salaries and perks - fat heads and narrow-minded agenda.  Who ever handed them that much power?

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #319 - Jun 21st, 2022 at 5:55pm

...and again

https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/visit-a-park/parks/wollumbin-national-park/local-alerts?fbclid=IwAR2WeFTmofpAfP-vCAOcCAWM3wP_LCDart6aFU9LdmzXdDqU7hSmwsskgx4

Wollumbin National Park, formerly known as Mount Warning National Park, remains closed until the end of October 2022 due to the impacts of widespread flooding in the region.

The closure is also to allow further consultation with the Aboriginal community and other key stakeholders about the future management of the site.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #320 - Jun 26th, 2022 at 9:51am

I cannot even get the link due to the paywall. In the Courier Mail.

Fears ‘farce’ could close mountain forever

Climbers say Wollumbin (Mt Warning) could become the “next Uluru” after the ongoing closure of the mountain’s popular summit track was extended again.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #321 - Jun 26th, 2022 at 9:59am

Only certified, qualified and educated people in the way of the Cheer culture are allowed.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

AusGeoff
Gold Member

Sage of Gippsland

Victoria
Reply #322 - Jun 26th, 2022 at 11:39am

I'm pretty pissed off by these radical aboriginal groups closing off our national
parks in the name of some vague "cultural significance". Ayers Rock and Mount
Warning both existed millions of years before the invading aboriginals took over
this continent. 

Ayers Rock is 550 million years old, and Mt Warning is 23 million years old.

This sort of bullshit has to be stopped, otherwise we'll soon be locked out of
our own bloody backyards.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #323 - Jun 26th, 2022 at 12:02pm

Like how the British and even Americans have done so in other people's countries?

This is Aboriginal Land, they and the Land are 'one'.
British, American, Chinese and other nation's occupying here by 'default' (and exploitation) are mere 'Renters' to their Landlords.
ANZACS have 'only' fought for British, UN and American causes overseas. The 'Japs' only spattered Australia with some planes and subs 'because' of its involvement 'for' those nations.
The ANZACS are just a Mercenary action for other nations.

When Britain makes a full 100% removal of cultural connection here (like removing their Flag from the Australian Flag and 'royal' titles, etc) with a "Get stuffed Australia, you're on your own under your rightful owners."
The true right, in the eyes of the world - is to return full 100% ownership back to the 'original' owners, as it should be.

You want to 'steal' the country as a domestic entity through usurpship - then I guess you'll need guns like Americans and pay for it in blood (like Americans did for their country).

Personally, I believe this country's future, if it is to be beyond the Cheer Mob's 100% ownership come rulership. Is based upon the Slavic Europeans making a future here, more than the dysfunctional Celtic/Western Europeans. Politics will 'never' rule here as a domestic independent entity - no matter how much Celebrities and Media personalities run around like headless chickens crying for a cliche Irish Republic with an (American) president as head of state with nothing more than a referendum and paperwork to justify its legal cause of action to displace Aborigine empowerment here.

If Aborigines get their 15mins of fame finally ruling this country and its 24 million now inhabitants. I do think it will be brief in the eyes of the world as there will be a 'domestic' group of 'usurpers' who would never bow down to being ruled by Haplogroup D's who were here long before they were and for much longer than they ruled their parts of the world where they came from.

The Republicans - Celebrities and Media personalities cry and whinge about Americans with guns to virtual signal themselves. But it will be 'guns' they'll need to usurp the return of this country to the rightful owners and rulers. Flying a flag doesn't cut it.

You want it, you prove to the Aborigines that you can earn it. So far, non-aboriginal Australia has been nothing more than a sub-culture of British occupation and American Colonialism.

So. Are you going to usurp and steal Australia for your own domestic empowerment and identity?
The world is watching and judgement day is just around the corner.

What 'sacrifice' will you make to take ownership and rulership of this part of the world to justify your existence here as 'non-aboriginal'?

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #324 - Jun 27th, 2022 at 11:07pm

That's why the majority of Cheers line in towns and houses....

We are all 'one with the land'.... nothing special about Cheers.... all that is just mumbo-jumbo to try to get something for nothing that nobody else can get by that process.  You want land, you pay for it....

Rules have changed..... when is Arnhem Land going to be open?  Ans so on... and so on... and so on.....

What kind of Nation is this that permits open Apartheid?

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

The Heartless Felon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #325 - Jun 28th, 2022 at 9:21am

Now, now Jasyn...you say that the ANZACS are just a Mercenary action for other nations.

But, according to Wiki:
Indigenous Anzacs: An estimated 1,000 Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people served with the Australian Imperial Force in World War I.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #326 - Jun 28th, 2022 at 9:41pm

I bet they got the s*hit weapons for the ADF's PR stunt.
Probably forced into it too.
...just 1,000 eh?
Grin

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #327 - Dec 9th, 2022 at 7:46am

Parks Australia: when bureaucracy turns racist

https://www.spectator.com.au/2022/12/parks-australia-when-bureaucracy-turns-racist/?fbclid=IwAR3nyHyNdMTRxAVVfjcFPbqqJ-yBXXW8T45llRFBsubgYXstWkjOnUd7ejs

Imagine telling a Brit of migrant origin that they’re forbidden from visiting the White Cliffs of Dover because they are a spiritually important geological feature – or that anyone with the wrong skin colour looking at them would cause distress and offence. What about if all non-white tourists were banned from Stonehenge because those who aren’t indigenous to the area are somehow violating the spirit of traditional ownership and tarnishing the land with their presence? How about a ‘welcome to country’ to all migrants every time they enter a public hall?

Yeah, I can hear the court cases and media outrage already. What unbelievable racism!!! White supremacy!!! How dare you offend migrants!!! They are just as British as anyone else!!! The press would cry, and they would be right, yet the conversation is identical to what is taking place in Australia.

White Brits are the Indigenous owners of the UK, but they’d be laughed at if they asked for special consideration surrounding their culturally sacred sites. There’s an assumption that Brits – or anyone of European descent – aren’t entitled to a connection to the land or their ancestral places. They’re stuck in racial purgatory because they – alone of all conquering civilisations – must suffer the loss of their identity as penance for dragging the world into the modern era. It doesn’t matter how terrible the sins are of other nations (plenty of which make Europe look like a panda petting zoo), the collectivists want to destroy Western dominance and they’ve decided to use imagined race politics to do it.

For a nation to maintain civil peace and cohesion, there is an understanding that all citizens are equal. Public spaces – such as National Parks – are the property of citizens to be funded by, looked after for, and enjoyed by everyone. Australians are entitled to feel a spiritual connection to their homeland, regardless of the colour of their skin. To suggest otherwise is outright racism and shame on the Liberal Party for failing to stand against Labor and the Greens on this issue that will see the children of this country ranked like a Bunnings paint chart. A sensible person would expect parents to be horrified at their children being saddled with the crimes of people who share their skin colour, but plenty of inner-city affluent families see the sacrifice of their children’s innocence as some kind of social purification. They love watching their children being punished.

The argument that a person’s DNA defines their affinity to the land is nonsense. A ‘white’ person born in Australia, who works the land and spends their whole life in the bush, will have a deep spiritual affinity. They will not have some kind of mystic connection to a country in Europe that they’ve never been to simply because, five generations ago, a distant relative was born there. It makes about as much sense as claiming Aboriginal Australians have a spiritual connection to Africa (instead of Australia) because Africa is the true origin of their genetic ancestry and a place where their elders spent millions, rather than tens of thousands, of years. After all, if we want to play the idiotic game of counting ancestors, all of us spent more time together in Africa than in any other place in the world.

Race politics is a political weapon brought out by the worst regimes as a way to divide society and scam money or power from whichever ‘race’ is being demonised. If our political class had any moral strength, this sort of behaviour would qualify as a crime.

Parks Australia was set up as a benign organisation to take care of national and marine parks, but recently they have turned into the Race Police, locking Australians of the wrong colour out of their publicly funded shared environments.

As an organisation, they have already been savaged by people old enough to remember how much better Australia’s parks did when they were open to the public and managed properly. The ‘lock up’ policies remain widely blamed by people who live around national parks for being the true cause of huge bushfires (that politicians wrongly attribute to climate change) due to poor maintenance of fire trails, the banning of grazing animals, prevention of farmers managing burn offs, and general poor upkeep by park rangers. Of course, Parks Australia gets really nasty when they are criticised by the public, but tough luck – they deserve it. Coastal areas in particular have seen the loss of their native wildflower fields due to management failing to maintain the regular burn-offs required to preserve the habitat with political concerns for ‘koala habitats’ drowning out any reasonable discussion.

Since then, Parks Australia have progressed from locking Australians out of public land due to ‘wildlife protection’ and are engaging in race-based lockouts justified by ‘honouring spiritual connections’ to the land by small Indigenous groups.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #328 - Dec 9th, 2022 at 7:46am

These public parks are paid for – and previously enjoyed by – all Australians, but now places like Mount Warning have been locked down. Closed during the pandemic (for reasons that are obviously complete nonsense), the park never re-opened to the public and has been renamed. Not only are people of the wrong race forbidden from walking the previously public track frequented by 120,000 people a year, but Australians are also banned from taking photographs – photographs! I bet Google Maps isn’t stopped from taking satellite imagery of the park.

As one person wrote on Facebook, ‘The whole of Australia will be deemed cultural land before too long, and we won’t be able to climb any mountain or cross any river. Disgrace.’ This sentiment was repeated by another who wrote, ‘My culture says I will climb that mountain whenever I feel like it. Sick of this over-regulated country … time to start giving the finger to authority.’

There are plenty of other similar comments. One might say that Parks Australia is one of the chief bodies responsible for sparking racial tension between Australian citizens by actively discriminating against them.

People are, quite rightly, asking why they should fund the upkeep of public parks if they are not allowed to enjoy or even photograph them. Why should a racist level of bureaucracy receive a single cent of public money?

Mount Warning is a natural geological feature. It was not built by a single Indigenous hand. As such, it is the joint property of all Australian citizens – a shared ancestral land for all who call themselves Australian. That was why national parks were set up in the first place. Any group that claims it is culturally unsafe or offensive to allow another person to visit due to their race – is racist. It is a sentiment that cannot be justified and should instead be openly shamed by all decent and moral people. Imagine if someone banned Indigenous people from climbing the Harbour Bridge because it would be ‘culturally unsafe’. Those times are gone, and allowing Indigenous groups to resurrect racism for political privilege and money is – as one Facebook user wrote – a farce.

Which brings us to what we might hope is the last straw.

Recently, Parks Australia sent out a letter of demand to the Herald Sun wanting them to remove a cartoon of Ayers Rock (Uluru). The cartoon by Mark Knight showed Ayers Rock looming over Parliament to symbolise the coming Voice to Parliament referendum.

Parks Australia attempted to say that drawing the national (and natural) geological feature violated its media guidelines surrounding ‘sensitive and sacred sites’ without a permit.

‘These artworks do not have media permits and breach media guidelines. To comply with the EPBC Act, media guidelines, ICIP (Indigenous Cultural Intellectual Property) laws and show respect for Anangu land and culture, we ask that you remove any artwork breaching these conditions and showing Uluru.’

A permit. To draw Ayers Rock. Most Australians were outraged to discover that such a ridiculous guideline existed and demanded Parks Australia explain itself.

To be frank, most people told Parks Australia to ‘get f—d’ or some variation on the theme of unprintable outrage.

The permits were meant to ‘protect Anangu against inappropriate use and benefits to others from the commercialisation of their Indigenous Cultural Intellectual Property’. What, like the decades of Tourism Australia ads that dug the regional community out of poverty? That kind of commercialisation? Before commercialisation, no one cared about locking people out of Ayers Rock because there was no guilt-money in it. If anything, the actions of Parks Australia is a form of commercialisation by gate-keeping licenses to draw the rock.

The Herald Sun met Parks Australia with a few scary looking lawyers and pretty quickly, Parks Australia replied:

‘Staff sent Mr Knight an email about the Uluṟu-Kata Tjuṯa media guidelines which was not appropriate. It isn’t a request that should have been made and we apologised for the error.’

An error or an embarrassment? Legal demands are rarely sent ‘by accident’. Someone made a conscious decision to draft it, pen it, approve it, and hit ‘send’.

Telling a cartoonist that they cannot draw Ayers Rock is pretty close to banning images of Mohammad. Roping off sections of culture for ‘special groups’ is not just a slippery slope – it’s a nightmare cliff that ends in division, hatred, and animosity.

‘It made me feel like I had done something wrong. I thought it was a very nice image and low and behold, ironically, I was asked to take it down,’ said Mr Knight.

That’s the point of race politics. Australians are being made to feel like they’ve done something wrong by enjoying an afternoon on their favourite walking track – or taking a selfie in the middle of the bush. It’s the art of creating outrage out of nothing and then shaking the collection bucket for reparations.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #329 - Dec 9th, 2022 at 7:49am

Well apparently the Democrats do it with the White House, etc.
They forbide many peoples and if they aren't on their side - they're terrorists, racists, insurgents, etc.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 ... 50
Send Topic Print