Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Aussies who pretend to be Aboriginal (Read 3104 times)
Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Aussies who pretend to be Aboriginal
Jul 10th, 2021 at 7:21am

How white Aussies who pretend to be Aboriginal are taking over universities and stealing high-paid jobs meant for real Indigenous Australians - and their numbers are skyrocketing

Aboriginal academic Victoria Grieve-Williams remembers the first time a white female acquaintance asked if she would support her claim to be Indigenous.

The woman was working in what was then the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Commission and it would help her career if she was actually Aboriginal.

Dr Grieve-Williams, a Warraimaay woman from the mid-north coast of NSW and now adjunct professor at RMIT University in Melbourne, refused the woman's request.

She actually called me and asked if I would support her in her claim to be an Aboriginal person,' Dr Grieve-Williams told Daily Mail Australia.

'I said to her that I couldn't do that because I didn't know anything about it. I'd always known her as a non-Aboriginal person.'
Ten years earlier the woman's mother, who worked at a university with Dr Grieve-Williams, had made a point of saying her daughter was not Aboriginal when they were discussing a particular course.

'Other people filled in the story with what was going on with her and why she wanted to be Aboriginal,' Dr Grieve-Williams said.
'A big reason was that she was working within ATSIC and they'd reclassified a job to be a position held by an Indigenous person. She told me that on the phone.'

The woman then sought to claim membership of an Aboriginal family group but they rejected her. A second mob did the same and she has since sought to identify with a third group that has not accepted her as one of their own.

The woman is now a professor at an Australian university where at least on paper she is considered Aboriginal.

Dr Grieve-Williams says the woman is one of growing number of Australians who claim to be Indigenous when they have no such ancestry.

These people are sometimes called 'box-tickers' - because they literally tick a box to say they are Aboriginal - but are known in Canada as Pretendians and in the United States as race-shifters.

Dr Grieve-Williams describes what they do as 'Indigenous identify fraud'.

'Aboriginal people are actually very badly affected by this,' she said.

'Universities and governments are employing so-called Aboriginal people without due diligence.

'High-level positions, huge salaries, great opportunities through Indigenous Business Australia, all of that's being gobbled up.

'There's no penalties, or checks and balances. These numbers are increasing.'
There is no way of knowing how many box-tickers there are in Australia but the practice seems particularly prevalent in academia and sectors of the public service where Aboriginality is sought and sometimes rewarded.

'It's a huge problem but the figures are difficult to assess,' Dr Grieve-Williams said.

Dr Grieve-Williams said Australian universities employed bogus Aboriginal academics as professors and right up to pro and deputy vice-chancellors.
'The interesting thing I'm finding with my research is that Aboriginal people always recognise them, they always know they're not Aboriginal,' Dr Grieve-Williams said.

'Aboriginal people have been saying, "Hold on, that person isn't one of us" and nobody takes any notice.

'It's not only Aboriginal people who recognise it. It's non-Aboriginal people too.'

Box-tickers, who are concentrated in major east coast cities, are appropriating a culture that is not theirs and taking jobs and resources meant for Aboriginal Australians.

'It's very surreal, particularly to a person my age because when I grew up the worst thing you could be was Aboriginal,' Dr Grieve-Williams said.

'Aboriginal people were so scorned and vilified. There were these nasty "Abo" jokes. I couldn't begin to tell you the depths of racism that I experienced.

'We were always made to feel in deficit. And now the tables have turned right around but it's not the real Aboriginal people who are getting the benefit from all of this.'

There are particular benefits for box-tickers within academia who falsely claim to be Aboriginal.

'The benefits are to do with status, you have a certain status when you're a recognised Aboriginal person,' Dr Grieve-Williams said. 'But the main benefit is material.

'People get promoted very quickly. The interesting thing is box-tickers, or those committing identity fraud, seem to get the big jobs.

'They're promoted over other Aboriginal people. We joke and we say they're better at being Aboriginal people than we are.'

Until recently, the focus in Australia on box-tickers has been on outing individuals - in what some see as a witch hunt - but race-shifting is now recognised to be an international phenomenon. 

Dr Grieve-Williams, a historian, spoke on the topic in May at a conference held by the Canadian Anthropology Society at the University of Guelph, Ontario.

She and fellow conference contributors were concerned the willingness to adopt a fake Aboriginal persona was causing real harm to genuine Indigenous people.

'I just thought this needs to be viable new area for research the way that it is in the United States and Canada,' Dr Grieve-Williams said. 'We need to be able to research this without a lot of opprobrium.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9759809/Box-tickers-pretend-Aboriginal-...

IP Logged

AiA
Gold Member

Re: Aussies who pretend to be Aboriginal
Reply #1 - Jul 10th, 2021 at 8:03am

A working person has gotta do what she has gotta do. There is no shame in playing the system - the elite certainly do it.

“Jerry, just remember: It’s not a lie … if you believe it.” George Costanza
IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Jul 10th, 2021 at 8:36am

AiA wrote on Jul 10th, 2021 at 8:03am:
A working person has gotta do what she has gotta do. There is no shame in playing the system - the elite certainly do it.

Just like those non- indigenous who have now made it a trend to tick the boxes on CentreLink, Govt & employment applications saying they are or identify as A or TSI as mentioned in the article?

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #3 - Jul 10th, 2021 at 8:36am

Meanwhile, the true aboriginals suffer in squalor while the pretend white abbos take all the money and aid.

There needs to be a limit as to what constitutes an aboriginal.

A great grandfather at the very least on at least one side.
And children born to a partially white abbo are deemed white once thet great grandfather link is gone.

Get the lazy, greedy opportunistic white abbos off the tit and into the workforce.

Where I live we have so many pretend abbos its not funny.

Guys and girls wandering around with all the red yellow and white gear being the only way to tell that these dole bludgers are calling themselves abbo.
There is not one physical indicator, they look as white as any pommy.

If we stopped these pretend abbos from screwing the system.

perhaps the true aboriginals of Australia might have a chance at a better life.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

AiA
Gold Member

Reply #4 - Jul 10th, 2021 at 9:03am

Gnads wrote on Jul 10th, 2021 at 8:36am:

Just like those non- indigenous who have now made it a trend to tick the boxes on CentreLink, Govt & employment applications saying they are or identify as A or TSI as mentioned in the article?

When a member of the 1% play the system it is considered "prudent," "savvy," "smart," "wise" ... but when a regular Joe does it, well, he is bum or worse a criminal.

“Jerry, just remember: It’s not a lie … if you believe it.” George Costanza
IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Jul 10th, 2021 at 9:14am

AiA wrote on Jul 10th, 2021 at 9:03am:
Gnads wrote on Jul 10th, 2021 at 8:36am:

When a member of the 1% play the system it is considered "prudent," "savvy," "smart," "wise" ... but when a regular Joe does it, well, he is bum or worse a criminal.

Then there's the secret QLD govt dealings handing over control of National Parks & throwing a huge amount of money at an Aboriginal group & they don't want anyone to know about it.

Contrary to intent the group has stated they'll use a swag of the handout money to set up businesses "to compete with businesses owned/operated by whitefellas". Roll Eyes

I hope you can read the jpeg screen shot I will post from the Courier Mail today.

Moreton_Island.jpg (245 KB | 6 )
Moreton_Island.jpg

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Jul 10th, 2021 at 9:33am

didnt Andrew Bolt get taken to the cleaners for daring to suggest the same thing????..

Perhaps Dr Grieve Williams would care to remember that when she claims no one does anything about it..

just by the complaints on here tells me  most people are fed up to the hilt with our white aboriginals...the namePascoe comes to mind   Roll Eyes  yet I have yet to see a well known aboriginal call him out...

it would appear from this article   that its only when they take JOBS eepecially highly paid jobs away from the real McCoy it becomes an issue..

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #7 - Jul 10th, 2021 at 9:55am

cods wrote on Jul 10th, 2021 at 9:33am:
didnt Andrew Bolt get taken to the cleaners for daring to suggest the same thing????..

Perhaps Dr Grieve Williams would care to remember that when she claims no one does anything about it..

just by the complaints on here tells me  most people are fed up to the hilt with our white aboriginals...the namePascoe comes to mind   Roll Eyes  yet I have yet to see a well known aboriginal call him out...

it would appear from this article   that its only when they take JOBS eepecially highly paid jobs away from the real McCoy it becomes an issue..

Quote:

Bolt published a number of examples where he named about 15 people who he claimed were not Aboriginal and told lies about them. The thing is that he got it 100% wrong they were all Aboriginal. This is the reason that Bolt has no credibility as an opinion writer.

IP Logged

Belgarion
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Jul 10th, 2021 at 10:09am

Jacinta Price and Warren Mundine have called him out on numerous occasions.

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Voltaire.....(possibly)

IP Logged

Belgarion
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Jul 10th, 2021 at 10:12am

Dnarever wrote on Jul 10th, 2021 at 9:55am:

Quote:

Bolt published a number of examples where he named about 15 people who he claimed were not Aboriginal and told lies about them. The thing is that he got it 100% wrong they were all Aboriginal. This is the reason that Bolt has no credibility as an opinion writer.

Bolt did not get punished for telling lies, he got punished for hurting the feelings of psuedo-abos with  repressive legislation on their side. 

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Voltaire.....(possibly)

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #10 - Jul 10th, 2021 at 10:18am

Belgarion wrote on Jul 10th, 2021 at 10:12am:
Dnarever wrote on Jul 10th, 2021 at 9:55am:

Quote:

Bolt did not get punished for telling lies, he got punished for hurting the feelings of psuedo-abos with  repressive legislation on their side. 

Nope:

Bolt would have been entitled to have printed what he did had it been true. It wasn't

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #11 - Jul 10th, 2021 at 10:22am

Quote:

Hope they catch and prosecute all three of them.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Jul 10th, 2021 at 11:36am

And not all pretend aboriginals are white, I personally know of one who has south east asian heritage who claimed to be an aboriginal and has a very high paying government job because of his alleged indigenous ancestry.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Jul 10th, 2021 at 11:37am

Dnarever wrote on Jul 10th, 2021 at 10:22am:
Quote:

Hope they catch and prosecute all three of them.
Its very common in government employment.

IP Logged

Belgarion
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Jul 10th, 2021 at 11:58am

Dnarever wrote on Jul 10th, 2021 at 10:18am:
Nope:

Bolt would have been entitled to have printed what he did had it been true. It wasn't

Wrong. If what Bolt had printed was lies then the ordinary defamation laws would have sufficed to see him punished. The fact that the complainants had to resort to the draconian 18C shows that what Bolt said was the truth.

Voltaire.....(possibly)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print