Send Topic Print
Dark emu again (Read 14998 times)
Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Re: More fun and games from Dark Emu
Reply #180 - Jul 17th, 2021 at 4:16pm

... we hold these truths to be true, and must repeat over and over again with fierce conviction that we KNOW the difference between the tyranny of wrongful words and the daylight of truth...

Evil will prosper while ever men and women of good will do nothing...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #181 - Jul 17th, 2021 at 6:47pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Jul 17th, 2021 at 4:16pm:
... we hold these truths to be true, and must repeat over and over again with fierce conviction that we KNOW the difference between the tyranny of wrongful words and the daylight of truth...

You are doing nothing, silly.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #182 - Jul 18th, 2021 at 7:59am

Mattyfisk wrote on Jul 17th, 2021 at 6:47pm:

Oh, I don't know - I've got you tied down chasing phantoms... that has to be a bonus for the human race.

Education is the best way to foment a nationwide movement..... opening people's eyes to the truth will eventually force change... that's why we need to wrest education back from the ideologues and put it in the hands of responsible and sane adults ....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Dark emu again
Reply #183 - Jul 18th, 2021 at 5:51pm

An essay by a real historian in the Weekend Australian

Revisionism buries Australia’s true past

With his re-writing of history and accusations of a cover-up, accident-prone author Bruce Pascoe has ignored some vital achievements.

By GEOFFREY BLAINEY

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/inquirer/revisionism-buries-australias-true-pas...

Bruce Pascoe, originally a schoolteacher, is the populariser of this recent revolution in understanding Australian history. In mistakenly contending that Aboriginals invented an early form of agriculture he extends praise to scholars on whom he relies. His popularity arises partly from the public’s illusion that he is really an Aboriginal historian who knows almost instinctively how his ancestors thought. He also claims that mainstream Australians deliberately hid the evidence which he now unveils.

That paragraph presents in a condensed form all the pathologies that this latest Ern Malley hoax displays.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #184 - Jul 19th, 2021 at 12:16am

Paywall

― John Adams

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #185 - Jul 19th, 2021 at 12:40am

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Jul 18th, 2021 at 7:59am:
Mattyfisk wrote on Jul 17th, 2021 at 6:47pm:

Oh, I don't know - I've got you tied down chasing phantoms... that has to be a bonus for the human race.

Education is the best way to foment a nationwide movement..... opening people's eyes to the truth will eventually force change... that's why we need to wrest education back from the ideologues and put it in the hands of responsible and sane adults ....

You're not doing that either.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #186 - Jul 19th, 2021 at 11:46am

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Jul 19th, 2021 at 12:16am:
Paywall

Another revolutionary theory from Pascoe is that the Aboriginals created an ultra-civilised haven of peace which, almost unique in the world’s history, could be called “the great Australian peace”. His later book, Young Dark Emu, ends with the triumphant question: “Where else on Earth was there a civilisation that lasted more than 80,000 years”? Hardly any expert shares Pascoe’s insistence that Australia has been settled for 80,000 years.

While it is beyond doubt that a small number of Australian settlers killed a considerable number of Aboriginals, it is also certain that – long before 1788 – Aboriginal tribes were often at war among themselves. It is now common to minimise these battles, partly because they were over in a few hours and the deaths seemed few. The rate of death in the frequent wars was, however, high. The distinguished American anthropologist Lloyd Warner concluded that in a sparsely-peopled region of Arnhem Land where he did his fieldwork, about 200 Aboriginal men died from warfare between 1909 and 1929.

Professor Frederick Rose, one of the few scholars to live among Aboriginal peoples in the last phase of the tribal era, concluded that the Aboriginal deaths in battle were on a large scale. Pascoe read Rose’s book but must have skipped the pages where the bloody warfare is quantified. According to the Princeton historian and archaeologist, Ian Morris, the hunters and gatherers, wherever they existed, had a very high ratio of battle deaths (namely deaths in proportion to total population) compared to those living in our so-called “civilised” nations in the 20th century.

Influential educators seem slightly deluded in telling Australian children that the Aboriginals long ago had found the formula for international peace and that the childrens’ duty – when they grow up – is to persuade the UN to adopt that venerable Aboriginal formula.

To his credit, Pascoe is a lively and engaging lecturer especially to rural and Aboriginal groups, and his main book Dark Emu is very readable in many chapters. Some pages are like a friendly fireside chat in which he moves quickly from topic to topic. Some pages denounce the “brutal” European peoples or their Australian descendants at almost every opportunity. On one page they are said to be unlike the “kind” Chinese.

The landmark trophy which Pascoe achieved was for authors “of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent”, a prize initiated by premier Mike Baird of NSW and judged mainly on a book’s literary merits. In 2016, Pascoe’s prize was shared with a young Dutch Aboriginal author, Ellen Van Neerven. On the strength of his award, Pascoe was also judged eligible for the prized NSW “Book of the Year Award”, which he won. His career thereby received an enormous boost.

Dark Emu proclaims that his own Aboriginal ancestry embraces Bunurong and Tasmanian and Yuin peoples, but it is now known that his four grandparents were of English descent. Warren Mundine, one of the foremost Aboriginal Australians, and an expert in assessing a person’s claim to be Indigenous, has recently denounced Pascoe as a pretender. Most Australian readers would agree with Mundine that when a valuable prize is created to reward and foster Indigenous writers, an outsider should not be permitted to snatch the prize. If this happened in a major sport there would be a national uproar.

Pascoe not only has tried to revise the history of Australia but also turned upside down the geography. In his mind the vast Australian deserts were no obstacle to Aboriginal farmers, for he describes a prosperous chain of villages extending, millennium after millennium, right across the driest parts of the continent. This huge belt of country allegedly grew plentiful grains, whereas the wetter and cooler regions of Australia grew yams and other plants.

Each of the two books, Dark Emu for adults and Young Dark Emu for children, contains rival maps of Australia. Both omit the Torres Strait Islanders: real gardeners, they are therefore trouble makers upsetting his theories.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #187 - Jul 19th, 2021 at 11:49am

Undoubtedly, traditional Aboriginal peoples collected grain in small quantities – when there was grain to collect – but they rarely if ever planted grain seeds at the start of the hoped-for growing season. Even in coastal regions with adequate and reliable rainfall the annual harvest would not be sufficient to provide grain for the coming 12 months, let alone for another couple of dry years that might appear. Pascoe forgets that part of the stored grain also has to be used as seed for next year’s harvest.

Readers are told that some of the stored seed found in one Aboriginal village equalled one tonne. Rod Gillespie, the head of one of Australia’s largest bakeries, in answering my query, explained that one tonne of the best grass seed would probably supply a permanent township of 1000 Aboriginal people with enough calories for only two days. Two days, when at least 365 days’ of food was needed, is a pitiful provision. Gillespie also pointed out that he was very optimistically assuming that the Aboriginal seed carried as many calories as the modern wheat seed which bakeries consume. My own estimate is that a few years of drought would lead to many deaths through starvation.

In academic circles the dominant view is still that Aboriginal success rested largely on the ingenuity of hunter-gatherers. This discovery, a revolution in Australian intellectual life, was accomplished mainly in the years after 1950. Pascoe fails to praise most of the talented promoters of this revolution. As for the skilled hunter-gatherers themselves, Pascoe calls them “primitives haplessly wandering across the face of the Earth”.

He goes out of his way to omit the success stories of these nomadic people. Thus he tells us about Donald Thomson, a distinguished Australian anthropologist, but ignores Thomson’s famous account of nomadic life in Arnhem Land and the logic and ingenuity of the seasonal movements of its people. For young students Thomson’s story would be fascinating.

Likewise readers should have been told by Pascoe about the nomadic Aboriginals’ impressive skill in using fire, except in their creation of grassland. And yet fire was central to their way of life. It was vital for cooking, for warmth on cold nights, for illumination, for manufacturing many of their implements and weapons, and sometimes for hunting by day and fishing by night. Its smoke was used as a means of communication and also an insect repellent. One of the six chapters in Young Dark Emu is devoted to fire but nothing is imparted about its vital role in nomadic life.

History is a demanding profession, and we all make mistakes when interpreting it, especially in fields where new knowledge multiplies. Pascoe, however, might well be adjudged by some observers as accident-prone. Often readers will ask where he found this or that piece of evidence, but when they turn to the book which he names they will find, in nearby pages, evidence which contradicts his own narrative.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #188 - Jul 19th, 2021 at 11:52am

Oh, well.  What a sad, sad story.

Looks like Pascoe can only 'stand by his views' now.... all evidence flown...

― John Adams

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #189 - Jul 19th, 2021 at 2:46pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Jul 19th, 2021 at 11:52am:
Oh, well.  What a sad, sad story.

Looks like Pascoe can only 'stand by his views' now.... all evidence flown...

Thanks, dear. Now you're doing something.

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #190 - Jul 19th, 2021 at 3:32pm

pascoe is an opportunistic, parasitical compulsive liar.

Just like his most ardent follower bwyannnnnnnnnnn.

Who, I might add, it attempting to distance himself from all things pascoe.

But we all know bwyannnnnnnnn used this piece of trash as his go to whenever he wanted to spruke the wonderful abbo kultcha.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #191 - Jul 19th, 2021 at 3:36pm

Whether you like it or not, we live in a world of truth surrounded by walls, and men have to guard those walls.  Who's going to do that?  YOU?  You weep for Pascoe and despise the truthtellers - you have that right because we protect it with truth - we use words like 'freedom of speech', 'integrity', 'careful study' to uphold a lifetime spent defending something - you use them as throwaway lines at parties, but deep down where you don't care to look - you WANT me on that wall... you NEED me on that wall!  I have neither the time nor the inclination to argue with a person who lives and sleeps under the protection of truth I provide, and then criticises the way in which I create that protection... I would rather you just said 'thank you, and went about your business.  Either way I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to!

― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #192 - Jul 19th, 2021 at 3:47pm

Valkie wrote on Jul 19th, 2021 at 3:32pm:
pascoe is an opportunistic, parasitical compulsive liar.

Just like his most ardent follower bwyannnnnnnnnnn.

Who, I might add, it attempting to distance himself from all things pascoe.

But we all know bwyannnnnnnnn used this piece of trash as his go to whenever he wanted to spruke the wonderful abbo kultcha.

He may simply be deluded, or happy to be deluded for the sake of triggering controversy.  Like many in modern society, he has no solid roots of 'belonging', which is why perhaps he decided to 'become' an 'Aboriginal'... in seeking a path for his own soul he seems to have slipped his rudder somewhere...

He would not be the only one who desperately seeks a 'place in the sun' by declaring self to be Aboriginal or something.  I've long pondered why many Aboriginals in prisons become 'Muslims', and can only surmise that it helps to provide a resting place for their personal long list of non-specific and specific grievances. By becoming 'Muslim' they can further define their own existence and reach for a sense of solidity in the world collapsing beneath them... grab a hand on the side of a lifeboat... and 'feel validated' in not one way, but two!! Identification with two 'oppressed' groups (LMAO) is better than clinging to one such group....
(critical race theory in action, innit?)

... tune in next week for Professor Grappler's further inquiry into the reasons so many men actively join in with feminism despite its clear violence and discrimination and destruction ..... even of themselves and their own sons etc.......

― John Adams

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #193 - Jul 19th, 2021 at 4:53pm

The Troll continues to display his Racism.  Tsk, tsk.   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #194 - Jul 19th, 2021 at 5:09pm

Here we go again

Poor old bwyannnnnnnnnnn loses an argument, so he decides that his better is a troll and posts a picture over and over again.

If only he tried to argue or debate with some semblance of intelligence, but sadly that is beyond him.

Perhaps he has been permanently harmed by the evisceration of Pascoe and the book of lies.

Seeing his messiah destroyed and all of his reference material debunked, he must resort to his one and only defensive response

Silly little emoji, silly little quotes and insults.

Go on bwyannnnnnnnn, call me an islampohobe again.

But its a great picture, needs to be a little smaller, it takes up too much of my screen on my phone when I show it to my mates so we can laugh at you.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 
Send Topic Print