Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print
White murderers of Aborigines honored in Aus (Read 4446 times)
NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: White murderers of Aborigines honored in Aus
Reply #45 - Jun 4th, 2021 at 4:16pm

athos wrote on Jun 4th, 2021 at 4:13pm:

How about that Tiananmen Square massacre? It's June 4th... Do you have any commemorations planned?

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #46 - Jun 4th, 2021 at 4:17pm

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #47 - Jun 4th, 2021 at 4:23pm

athos wrote on Jun 4th, 2021 at 3:53pm:
rhino wrote on Jun 4th, 2021 at 2:43pm:
Laugh till you cry wrote on Jun 4th, 2021 at 2:37pm:
rhino wrote on Jun 4th, 2021 at 2:28pm:
Does the same argument apply to the genocides and massacres committed by the Chinese? Any aboriginal deaths pale in
comparison to the tens of millions of  murders committed by the Chinese. How many Urgurs massacred so far? A million?

The British, Rhino's people, are the experts at massacres, probably hundreds of millions.

My people were Scandanavian. Try the Vikings if you want to pin something on me historically.

Then shut up
Grin
This isnt Hong Kong, free speech rules and no slaves. Sucks doesnt it?  Grin

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #48 - Jun 4th, 2021 at 4:31pm

Some Australians work under the mistaken belief that they have a right to Freedom of Speech.  *SIGH* I'd love them to point out where that is annunciated in law.  Tsk, tsk.   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #49 - Jun 4th, 2021 at 5:20pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jun 4th, 2021 at 4:31pm:
Some Australians work under the mistaken belief that they have a right to Freedom of Speech.  *SIGH* I'd love them to point out where that is annunciated in law.  Tsk, tsk.   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

As a lawyer once told me, there is free speech in Australia. However, free speech has consequences. Those consequences can have legal implications.

Is that a reasonable summation?

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #50 - Jun 4th, 2021 at 5:35pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Jun 4th, 2021 at 5:20pm:

As a lawyer once told me, there is free speech in Australia. However, free speech has consequences. Those consequences can have legal implications.

Yes and no.  There is no right to Freedom of Speech in Australia.  The Government can legislate to limit speech, as it has done in the past and impose censorship when ever it wants. There are also legal implications to the exercise of Freedom of Speech.   The Government has no imposed censorship on Political commentary.  These are things that most Australians do not understand.

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Belgarion
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #51 - Jun 4th, 2021 at 6:01pm

Freedom of speech is implied in Australia not legislated. We may say what we wish subject to certain limitations like laws of libel and the disclosure of certain information.
Unfortunately governments have been encroaching on this implied freedom with more intrusive legislation like 18C, which is attempting to stifle free discussion under the guise of racial vilification. The 'hate  speech' catchall is the usual suspects wet dream and must be resisted by anyone who truly values the freedom to express any idea or opinion no matter if someone is offended. 

Rights defined are rights limited.

As for no censorship imposed on political commentary, ask  Andrew Bolt about that... Roll Eyes

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Voltaire.....(possibly)

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #52 - Jun 4th, 2021 at 6:21pm

Just a quick survey.

How many people living today, participated in aboriginal genocide?

And how many abbos parents or grandparents were murdered by genocidal methods?

And yet, ALL WHITES are considered responsible for crimes committed
Not by us
Not by our parents
Not by our parents parents
Not by any of our kin.

Simply because we are white, we are guilty.

If that's not racism......what is??????

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #53 - Jun 4th, 2021 at 6:37pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jun 4th, 2021 at 5:35pm:

Yes and no.  There is no right to Freedom of Speech in Australia.  The Government can legislate to limit speech, as it has done in the past and impose censorship when ever it wants. There are also legal implications to the exercise of Freedom of Speech.   The Government has no imposed censorship on Political commentary.  These are things that most Australians do not understand.

You are an idiot. A fantasist idiot. But what's  new.  The RESPONSIBLE government can introduce legislation, as can the Opposition, or independets/unaligned. That does not mean the government can 'impose censorship whenever it wants".  Laws are made by Parliament, you stupid, lying, deceiving - or just ignorant idiotic - fool, not by governments.  There are limits to speech everywhere. What the limits are is the issue and what the considerations are for those limits.   Cheeses, every time to venture off your safe yawn and tut tut responses you prove yourself to be a bigger and more ignorant idiot than I have ever thought you to be - and that's  saying something.

"These are things that most Australians do not understand." - BINGO !!   that's  a 5 out of 5 on the 'pompous fccn know-nothing bignoting himself' scale. You understand nothing. Stick to yawning, eyerolling and tut-tutting.  Anything else - you are out of your depth.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #54 - Jun 4th, 2021 at 6:37pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jun 4th, 2021 at 5:35pm:

You are an idiot. A fantasist idiot. But what's  new.  The RESPONSIBLE government can introduce legislation, as can the Opposition, or independets/unaligned. That does not mean the government can 'impose censorship whenever it wants".  Laws are made by Parliament, you stupid, lying, deceiving - or just ignorant idiotic - fool, not by governments.  There are limits to speech everywhere. What the limits are is the issue and what the considerations are for those limits.   Cheeses, every time to venture off your safe yawn and tut tut responses you prove yourself to be a bigger and more ignorant idiot than I have ever thought you to be - and that's  saying something.

"These are things that most Australians do not understand." - BINGO !!   that's  a 5 out of 5 on the 'pompous fccn know-nothing bignoting himself' scale. You understand nothing. Stick to yawning, eyerolling and tut-tutting.  Anything else - you are out of your depth.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #55 - Jun 4th, 2021 at 6:56pm

Sure, here ya go
Quote:
The Australian Constitution does not explicitly protect freedom of expression. However, the High Court has held that an implied freedom of political communication exists as an indispensible part of the system of representative and responsible government created by the Constitution. It operates as a freedom from government restraint, rather than a right conferred directly on individuals.
In brief, the constitution  protects the right to free speech.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #56 - Jun 4th, 2021 at 7:02pm

I was listening to a story by an American journalist for the New York Times who was living in Australia (as the Times' Australian connection) for a few years and he made some very interesting comments on the issue of 'official' secrecy in Australia compared to the US.

His assessment was that Australian parliaments and politicians have almost a fetish with secrecy... In the US, reps of government are much more free to express an opinion than their Australian counterparts... Also FOI in Australia is a labyrinthine process compared to the US.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #57 - Jun 4th, 2021 at 7:06pm

Well we certainly dont have the degree of freedom of speech they have
in the US, but freedom of speech is never absolute, even in the US. They do seem to tolerate hate speech over there, more than we would, thats more than likely why these right wing hate groups dont gain much of a footage in this country.

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #58 - Jun 4th, 2021 at 7:22pm

rhino wrote on Jun 4th, 2021 at 7:06pm:
Well we certainly dont have the degree of freedom of speech they have
in the US, but freedom of speech is never absolute, even in the US. They do seem to tolerate hate speech over there, more than we would, thats more than likely why these right wing hate groups dont gain much of a footage in this country.

Yes... The US journalist's comments included those on Australia's secrecy laws which could be applied to even the most mundane of issues within government.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #59 - Jun 4th, 2021 at 8:20pm

NorthOfNorth wrote on Jun 4th, 2021 at 7:02pm:
I was listening to a story by an American journalist for the New York Times who was living in Australia (as the Times' Australian connection) for a few years and he made some very interesting comments on the issue of 'official' secrecy in Australia compared to the US.

His assessment was that Australian parliaments and politicians have almost a fetish with secrecy... In the US, reps of government are much more free to express an opinion than their Australian counterparts... Also FOI in Australia is a labyrinthine process compared to the US.

you should see the freedoms in China.

Anyway -  the US is still the leading light because it was created for just that purpose. Australia has a lot of hang-overs from the UK, as does Canada, but our constitution being a hybrid, Australia can and does take a lot of clues from the US eve as we retain, very sensibly, the British way of thinking about and applying them.

The US has a pseudo-monarchical system, with the prez acting like George the Third - ie what as the way in 1776. Australia has nothing of that pseudo monarchical presidential system. Any move to a republic, however, would shift Australia towards that way of governance. It is a really bad idea - so all the idiots are agitating for it.

The absolute beauty of the Australian system is that it elects a bi-cameral legislature  like the US, balancing States, as well as representative (lower house) based on electorates. It avoids the electoral college system but also avoids the pseudo-monarchical presidential system. No House of Lords either.

It's an absolute beauty. The Monarch has supreme authority but no executive power. Fccn GENIOUS. It has taken about 800 years to get to hiss genius level. No prick coming out of Sydney Uni can possibly improve it (No, Malcolm, you could not. Sit).

The 'republican' model is for the Chinese and the Irish and their hangers-on.  Baaaad.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print