Send Topic Print
What is Hell? (Read 5045 times)
issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Re: What is Hell?
Reply #30 - Jul 28th, 2021 at 2:29pm

Hell, and Heaven for that matter, are feeble mental constructs that have been used to try to put order into an essentially chaotic reality.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Sophia
Gold Member

Reply #31 - Jul 28th, 2021 at 3:16pm

issuevoter wrote on Jul 28th, 2021 at 2:29pm:
Hell, and Heaven for that matter, are feeble mental constructs that have been used to try to put order into an essentially chaotic reality.

That sounds about right…. Fear hell so you don’t kill who’s pizzing you off!
If I knew for sure there’s no hell if I commit a crime? What’s stopping me? Apart from freedom taken away with jail time.

The pictures depicted of white fluffy clouds in heaven or fire and brimstone in hell ….are too black and white.

I think our conscience has a play knowing between right and wrong…lying or truthful….killing or let live…. but then there are less than empathic people … born that way….psychopathic tendencies…that can’t see the wrong they do to others.
How come this happens?

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #32 - Jul 28th, 2021 at 4:07pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Jul 23rd, 2021 at 8:32pm:
Mr Hammer wrote on Jul 23rd, 2021 at 8:08pm:
Ayn Marx wrote on Jul 23rd, 2021 at 10:49am:
Sophia wrote on Jul 23rd, 2021 at 10:03am:
[i]
Who knows what hell really is?

There’s a difference between the church’s invention of the idea of hell and common usage simply to nominate any highly painful experience?
More interesting from my perspective was Rome's profitable little racket of allowing sinners to buy their way out of Pergatory and Hell;  another theological sewer I don’t want to drag into the discussion.

Hell is the future Earth; an atomised, devastated wasteland filled to the brim with suffering wretches deformed by pollution and starvation.

Western Sydney?

Mosul, Manilla, Nicaragua, Haiti, Soweto, Palmyra, Chechnya, Palestine, Eritrea ...need I go on?

IP Logged

Ayn Marx
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South of Australia
Reply #33 - Jul 28th, 2021 at 8:44pm

Order, Logic, or Justification ? I doubt a significant portion of Judaeo Christian history could be honestly described as ordered. Predictable cruelty and control by religious authority maybe, but ‘order’ ?

However some passages in the bible attempt to paper over these problems.
Psalm 22 begins :-

My God, my God, why have you abandoned me?
I have cried desperately for help,
   but still it does not come.
“You relied on the Lord,” they say.
“Why doesn’t he save you?”

Biblical apologetics  have struggled with such questions for centuries and still do, achieving little apart from the tired old claim, “God works in mysterious ways”
A more recent tome, Peter Vardy’s “The Puzzle of Evil (Publ’ Fount/Harper Collins 1992) examines these issues from the perspective of believers and non-believers. Worth a read by both if the subject is of interest. 

The Human Race is Insane

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #34 - Jul 29th, 2021 at 9:45pm

Ayn Marx wrote on Jul 28th, 2021 at 8:44pm:

Order, Logic, or Justification ? I doubt a significant portion of Judaeo Christian history could be honestly described as ordered. Predictable cruelty and control by religious authority maybe, but ‘order’ ?

However some passages in the bible attempt to paper over these problems.
Psalm 22 begins :-

My God, my God, why have you abandoned me?
I have cried desperately for help,
   but still it does not come.
“You relied on the Lord,” they say.
“Why doesn’t he save you?”

Biblical apologetics  have struggled with such questions for centuries and still do, achieving little apart from the tired old claim, “God works in mysterious ways”
A more recent tome, Peter Vardy’s “The Puzzle of Evil (Publ’ Fount/Harper Collins 1992) examines these issues from the perspective of believers and non-believers. Worth a read by both if the subject is of interest. 

I would say Heaven and Hell is deeper than religion; they are psychological. Their construct has been adhered to by a great many people as the ultimate shape of reality beyond their daily lives; a framework and direction in what would otherwise be a chaotic and absurd existence. They have wrought order out of chaos, and can put the matter to rest in their own minds. It is a primitive and feeble way of explaining reality. Their histories, rituals and hierarchies provide security in numbers, and deflect mental focus.

IP Logged

Ayn Marx
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South of Australia
Reply #35 - Jul 30th, 2021 at 8:19am

issuevoter wrote on Jul 29th, 2021 at 9:45pm:
I would say Heaven and Hell is deeper than religion; they are psychological. Their construct has been adhered to by a great many people as the ultimate shape of reality beyond their daily lives; a framework and direction in what would otherwise be a chaotic and absurd existence. They have wrought order out of chaos, and can put the matter to rest in their own minds. It is a primitive and feeble way of explaining reality. Their histories, rituals and hierarchies provide security in numbers, and deflect mental focus.

Security in numbers? Is that how you’d describe wars?

The Human Race is Insane

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #36 - Aug 12th, 2021 at 10:44pm

Hell is being stuck with someone like Soren who liked to decry science 'cause he won't attempt to understand it because it denies his views on "race".

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #37 - Aug 12th, 2021 at 11:48pm

What is Hell?

An exponentially increasing number of locations on planet earth, 2021.
....courtesy of SATAN's minions.

Fraudsters, liars, cheaters, killers, shirtlifters.

To ignore evil is to become an accomplice to it.
- Martin Luther King, Jr.

"There are only two races in the world, the decent and the indecent."
Victor Frankl - Nazi Holocaust survivor

"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil."
- Thomas Mann

Proverbs 14:34
Righteousness exalteth a nation: but sin is a reproach to any people.

"Glory follows virtue as if it were its shadow."
- Marcus Tullius Cicero, Roman Statesman

John 3:19
And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
20  For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.
21  But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

Proverbs 12:17
He that speaketh truth sheweth forth righteousness...

Psalms 12:8
The wicked walk on every side, when the vilest men are exalted.

Yadda said.....
http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1482224041/12#12
Quote:

1/ THE REFUGEE CRISIS OF THIS AGE,
2/ THE CRISIS OF THE SPREAD OF UNBRIDLED LAWLESSNESS WITHIN MANY 'WESTERN' SOCIETIES,
and,
3/ THE PROBLEM OF THE 'SPREAD' OF THE MOSLEM AND HIS 'CULTURE OF PEACE'

Those problems are essentially all 'joined at the hip', and all have the same cause, imo.

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

moses
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #38 - Aug 14th, 2021 at 6:07pm

Look for the spiritual answer.

Genesis 1:2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

John 4:24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

1John 4:12 No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us.

1John 4:13 Hereby know we that we dwell in him, and he in us, because he hath given us of his Spirit.

1 Corinthians 3:16 Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?

1 Corinthians 6:19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

Luke 17:21 Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.

The Bible tells us that The Kingdom of God (heaven) is within us.

God is a mirror image of our deepest selves.

So logically hell is whatever our deepest selves say it to be.

All the wailing and moaning about Christianity, will achieve nothing if you genuinely want learn the truth.

Look for the spiritual meaning and obtain inner peace.

There is nothing more important in life than inner peace.

IP Logged

Sophia
Gold Member

Reply #39 - Aug 17th, 2021 at 10:53am

My daughter sent me this…. Grin

Getting into heaven.

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZSJWjCxpj/

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #40 - Aug 17th, 2021 at 1:13pm

Ayn Marx wrote on Jul 30th, 2021 at 8:19am:
issuevoter wrote on Jul 29th, 2021 at 9:45pm:

Security in numbers? Is that how you’d describe wars?

Describe war? Don't bother trying to get me to second guess your meaning.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #41 - Aug 19th, 2021 at 2:02am

Brian Ross wrote on Jun 2nd, 2021 at 12:17pm:
Being trapped in a forum with a bunch of losers and tossers.  Tsk, tsk.   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Is that forum your home?

IP Logged

Ayn Marx
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South of Australia
Reply #42 - Sep 4th, 2021 at 11:05am

Yadda wrote on Aug 12th, 2021 at 11:48pm:
To ignore evil is to become an accomplice to it.
- Martin Luther King, Jr.

Where do pedophile priests and the Church hierarchy fit into that picture? ? ?

The Human Race is Insane

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print