Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Gardens with Frogs (Read 507 times)
Jovial Monk

Dogs not cats!

Gardens with Frogs
May 11th, 2021 at 5:45pm

We have talked about making your garden attractive to butterflies and native birds.

Lepidoptera are in trouble, numbers declining due to monoculture, AGW and clearing of wildflowers in agricultural areas. There is another group of critters in trouble and we can give refuge to some.

Frogs! Damming of streams, water pollution, AGW are causing frog populations to decline. Fortunately, ponds with native fish, various lacustrine plants like waterlilies are a lot of fun. Dig a hole for a pond, line it with butyl rubber sheers, put pots of plants on ledges created to suit different plants and stock with native fish and you are bound to get the desired amphibians moving in and if not, catch or buy some damn tadpoles and kickstart the “riddip riddip” population.

Maybe not put the pond under your bedroom window.

Will post some more specifics, best water conditions, types of frogs etc later.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk

Dogs not cats!

Re: Gardens with Frogs
Reply #1 - May 12th, 2021 at 10:12am

The info I have comes from a little book:

“Attracting Frogs to your Garden” by Kevin Casey

Fish eat tadpoles—put them in a separate pond to grow in before you introduce them to your main pond.

Tadpoles put into a small aquarium will not grow into frogs. Even little Murray River Rainbows and Purple spotted gudgeons will eat tadpoles, something i found out the hard way.

To get the best out of water lilies plant them in the pond where they get a fair bit of sun and if you have a water feature, waterfall or little fountain etc make sure the tops of the water lily leaf do not get wet and there is no current moving past them. They will reward you with brilliant flowers. You will need water plants to oxygenate the water.

Pond water needs to be “turned over” regularly. Your pond supplier will tell you how much/how often. This water filled with fishshit is great for your plants. Dilute it a bit and water away. Aquaponics with a pump, plants like coriander and a bed (a fishbox full of clay pellets is commonly used) and a system to return the water to the pond is a more elaborate system of turning over the water.

Frogs and other amphibians need water—their thin skins lose water easily and they obviously lay their eggs in water. That same thin skin makes them susceptible to the poisons we use in the garden—pesticides, herbicides, artificial fertilisers etc. Find kinder, more organic ways to get rid of pests and weeds.

Native vegetation will help our native frogs make a corner of your yard or farm etc frog city.

Shade, protection from predators etc will be needed and easy to provide: wet, leafy native vegetation, some projecting rocks in the pond to allow frogs to hude etc.

« Last Edit: May 12th, 2021 at 10:19am by Jovial Monk »  

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Jovial Monk

Dogs not cats!

Reply #2 - May 14th, 2021 at 8:49am

Australian frogs

• some of the most unusual and interesting frogs

• Platypus frogs the most unusual, the females carry the fertilised eggs in their stomachs—production of digestive juices during this time ceases of course. This is the ONLY known frog to do this. Was the only known frog—both species of it are extinct. We really do have a vital role to play in conservation in our gardens and in return we get better, more dynamic gardens.

• The Marsupial frog along the NSW/Qld border is a tiny frog. The females lay their eggs on a moist patch of ground. The male guards this and when the tadpoles hatch they take shelter in the male’s “pouch” or rather pouches and stay their until they complete their metamorphosis into young frogs when they leave the “pouch” and hop away.

• Water Holding Frog can live in arid regions. It gives birth to young frogs, the tadpole stage eliminated.

•Tasmanian Tree Frog can cope with the nice cool (freaking cold!) Tasmanian winters. Others prefer milder, moister conditions.

There are other frogs but what I have described shows most corners of this wide brown land can support frogs, especially if we give a helping hand.

The water in our fish/frog ponds needs to have chlorine and heavy metals removed—your pond supply or aquarium place can advise. Have some permanent treated water under the shade of trees and frogs will come. Obviously, your dogs and/or cats need to be kept away until fish and frog populations are established.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #3 - May 15th, 2021 at 3:50am

We had a real problem with cane toads in the years when it would rain in the wet season for days on end. Dad, being an avid hockey player, would use his old hockey sticks for slaying cane toads that roamed the yard. I got into hitting cane toads, having learned that cane toads were feral pests that did harm to other animals.

One afternoon/evening, I spotted a brown cane toad that looked juvenile. I got Dad's hockey stick and whacked that cane toad dead. I told Dad about it. Then I looked at the cane toad. It was a brown frog. Dad then confirmed that it was a brown frog. I got a casual slap on the back of my head for my troubles. Then I started crying. Not because of the reprimand. But because I had killed one of the good guys of the yard. That lesson stuck with me for a long time.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk

Dogs not cats!

Reply #4 - May 19th, 2021 at 1:23pm

Frogs—predators and prey.

Frogs eat insects, snails, spiders and other prey to eat. They are also prey.

The most vulnerable part of the frog lifecycle is as spawn and tadpoles. Ducks love to eat frog eggs. You need to provide hiding places where the frogs in your garden can safely spawn (it is a numbers game tho, lay 1000 eggs, hope 2-3 make it to froghood!) Hiding places like under floating leaves (waterlilies are good) or among reeds or in a crevice in rocks—you need to provide some spots!

Tadpoles are attacked by fish, even tiny ones, wading birds and longnecked tortoises etc. As I said, it is a numbers game. Spiders and waterbugs prey on tadpoles, butcher birds sit on semi-submerged logs (or whatever) and pick off tadpoles. Also dragonfly larvae (but I never saw dragonflies above my pond and their numbers have crashed.)

As with many other critters, overcrowding or insufficient food sees tadpoles become cannibalistic! Their food is algae, decaying vegetable matter and micro organisms—any established pond should have enough to feed tadpoles. If not or you want to be sure.

Well washed then boiled lettuce—the green parts only. Use the outer leaves of a lettuce. Boil the lettuce in a pan of water, not in a microwave, for 20 minutes. We want enough food, not so much it causes pollution nor insufficient that munching on  the tails of other tadpoles starts! Less is more here.

As the tadpoles metamorphose, losing their tails and developing legs they are also developing lungs and losing gills. At this stage a shallow ramp to allow the near-frogs to exit the water and use their new lungs is needed else they will drown. This is essential if you have your tadpoles in a glass tank or bucket etc while if they are in your fish pond you should already have some ramps/shallow areas (to allow butterflies to drink as well as for near–frogs, etc.
« Last Edit: May 19th, 2021 at 1:46pm by Jovial Monk »  

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Jovial Monk

Dogs not cats!

Reply #5 - May 19th, 2021 at 1:58pm

As the young frogs leave the pond they are vulnerable to dehydration. Make sure the area around the pond is well watered with damp leaves, grass etc and maybe some shallow puddles. Remember—all amphibians are dependent on water: reptiles grew a thick skin and hard-shelled eggs so are much less dependent on water, snakes and lizards can exist in deserts etc. Not so amphibians.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Jovial Monk

Dogs not cats!

Reply #6 - May 19th, 2021 at 2:36pm

Next we will discuss the various frogs that might be found in your pond.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Jovial Monk

Dogs not cats!

Reply #7 - May 19th, 2021 at 8:57pm

UnSubRocky wrote on May 15th, 2021 at 3:50am:
We had a real problem with cane toads in the years when it would rain in the wet season for days on end. Dad, being an avid hockey player, would use his old hockey sticks for slaying cane toads that roamed the yard. I got into hitting cane toads, having learned that cane toads were feral pests that did harm to other animals.

One afternoon/evening, I spotted a brown cane toad that looked juvenile. I got Dad's hockey stick and whacked that cane toad dead. I told Dad about it. Then I looked at the cane toad. It was a brown frog. Dad then confirmed that it was a brown frog. I got a casual slap on the back of my head for my troubles. Then I started crying. Not because of the reprimand. But because I had killed one of the good guys of the yard. That lesson stuck with me for a long time.

I know someone whose dog, a Cairns terrier IIRC, would lick the backs of cane toads  just enough to enjoy a “hit” from the toad poison. It would then stand there with a dazed look on its face. My mate would have to hose its mouth out to wash out the poison. Some people try the same trick with less happy results.

Don’t let cane toads into your pond!

Do you have a link to the brown frog—that is in the southern half of the country?

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print