Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Ashli Babbitt family sues police that shot her (Read 3931 times)
SadKangaroo
Gold Member

#FightStupid

Mianjin (Brisbane)
Ashli Babbitt family sues police that shot her
May 10th, 2021 at 10:30am

Quote:

The family of Ashli Babbitt is set to sue the U.S. Capitol Police and the officer who shot her dead during the January 6 Capitol riot.

They will seek at least $10million and will serve Capitol Police within 10 days, the family's lawyer Terry Roberts told Zenger.

Babbitt, a 35-year-old Air Force veteran, was shot through a window by an unidentified officer as she and other Trump supporters tried to break into an area near the House floor.

Roberts said the suit would cover economic losses from Babbitt's death as well as other claims including punitive damages, estimating that $10million would be 'a good estimate' of the total amount sought.

The civil suit from the family follows an April 14 decision by federal prosecutors not to charge the officer after months of deliberation. 

I would use the "All Live Matter" defence against the claim.

"Why didn't she comply?"

"When the looting starts, the shooting starts".

Case dismissed.
or at the last, make her defence have to destroy the ALM arguments.

Her family should be suing Trump, not the police.  It's not like his pre-coup speech wasn't filled with language telling them to do what they did. You could also add his stand-down orders and the obviously planned low staffing levels.

Only once did Trump say not to get violent... but of course, he did it in an off-hand way and then promptly buried it. Here are some wonderful select quotes:

“Republicans are constantly fighting like a boxer with his hands tied behind his back. … And we’re going to have to fight much harder.”

“We’re going to walk down to the Capitol… because you’ll never take back our country with weakness. You have to show strength, and you have to be strong.”

“When you catch somebody in a fraud, you are allowed to go by very different rules. So I hope Mike has the courage to do what he has to do, and I hope he doesn’t listen to the RINOs and the stupid people that he’s listening to.”

“We will never give up. We will never concede. It doesn’t happen. You don’t concede when there’s theft involved. Our country has had enough. We will not take it anymore, and that is what this is all about. And to use a favourite term that all of you people really came up with, we will stop the steal.”

“You will have an illegitimate president. That is what you will have, and we can’t let that happen. “

“We fight like hell, and if you don’t fight like hell, you’re not going to have a country anymore.”

Now it is up to Congress to confront this egregious assault on our democracy. And after this, we’re going to walk down, and I’ll be there with you. … We are going to the Capitol, and we are going to try and give … our Republicans, the weak ones, because the strong ones don’t need any of our help, we’re trying — going to try and give them the kind of pride and boldness that they need to take back our country.”

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Re: Ashli Babbitt family sues police that shot her
Reply #1 - May 10th, 2021 at 2:47pm

I saw the video. I thought it was unnecessary for the shot to be made. But, I would not know what the reason was for the officer to fire. All I saw was the video of the officer taking the shot. Then they switch over to the woman falling backward to the ground. She did not appear to be holding a weapon or pointing one at the officers concerned.

IP Logged

Mortdooley
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Texas Gulf Coast
Reply #2 - May 11th, 2021 at 10:37pm

The Capital Police Officer needs to be charged with Murder and his name repeated hourly in Media! That unarmed woman could have been arrested if needed, panic doesn't justify Murder.

The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. ~Ecc. 10:2

IP Logged

SadKangaroo
Gold Member

#FightStupid

Mianjin (Brisbane)
Reply #3 - May 12th, 2021 at 8:02am

UnSubRocky wrote on May 10th, 2021 at 2:47pm:
I saw the video. I thought it was unnecessary for the shot to be made. But, I would not know what the reason was for the officer to fire. All I saw was the video of the officer taking the shot. Then they switch over to the woman falling backward to the ground. She did not appear to be holding a weapon or pointing one at the officers concerned.

I saw the video of George Floyd.  I thought it was unnecessary for the police officer to kneel on his neck and restrict his ability to breathe until he died.  But I would not know what the reason was for the officer to kill him.  All I saw in the video was the officer kneeling on his neck for 9+ minutes then they switch over to his lifeless body after he was begging for his life saying he couldn't breathe.  He did not appear to be holding a weapon or pointing on at the officers concerned.

Mortdooley wrote on May 11th, 2021 at 10:37pm:
The Capital Police Officer needs to be charged with Murder and his name repeated hourly in Media! That unarmed woman could have been arrested if needed, panic doesn't justify Murder.

The Minneapolis Police Officer needs to be charged with Murder and his name repeated hourly in the Media! (check!).  That unarmed man could have been arrested without killing him, racism doesn't justify Murder.

So why are you only saying these things about the QAnon loving white woman and not George Floyd?

You've both been attacking him, I wonder why?

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - May 12th, 2021 at 8:22am

She was a terrorist, killed during a violent right-wing terrorist attack.

If the family want to sue anyone, it should be the alleged child rapist who was annihilated at the last presidential election and his slimy little lawyer Rudy - "I was just tucking my shirt in" - Giuliani.

IP Logged

AiA
Gold Member

Reply #5 - May 12th, 2021 at 10:05am

Mortdooley wrote on May 11th, 2021 at 10:37pm:

Now that Mechanic has fled in shame, Mortie usually gets the "Stupidest Post of the Day" award, but only when he posts something.

Can we give him a gold star for effort anyway?

“Jerry, just remember: It’s not a lie … if you believe it.” George Costanza
IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - May 12th, 2021 at 10:17am

greggerypeccary wrote on May 12th, 2021 at 8:22am:

If the family want to sue anyone, it should be the alleged child rapist who was annihilated at the last presidential election and his slimy little lawyer Rudy - "I was just tucking my shirt in" - Giuliani.

deary deary me  I think you would call your own mother a Terrorist had she been there..and of course if she was a righty....seems the only excuse you need Brian.....I dont know if this women was armed carrying a bomb or was making threats...the protest went over the line I dont think anyone denys that  .. but it was just a PROTEST by AMERIKANS... to shoot them with real bullets....is something I have come to expect from China... Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - May 12th, 2021 at 10:37am

cods wrote on May 12th, 2021 at 10:17am:
greggerypeccary wrote on May 12th, 2021 at 8:22am:

deary deary me  I think you would call your own mother a Terrorist had she been there..and of course if she was a righty....seems the only excuse you need Brian.....I dont know if this women was armed carrying a bomb or was making threats...the protest went over the line I dont think anyone denys that  .. but it was just a PROTEST by AMERIKANS... to shoot them with real bullets....is something I have come to expect from China... Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry

It wasn't a protest.

It was a violent, destructive terrorist attack.

IP Logged

Belgarion
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - May 12th, 2021 at 11:02am

The capital riot terrified the politicians. For the first time the other side were using the tactics of BLM/ANTIFA, the tactics the politicians had tacitly encouraged. But instead of being used against innocent shopkeepers, passers by and the ordinary citizen in the street, this time the target was the politicians themselves.  Those who felt themselves safe from the violence they had encouraged, who felt far above the ordinary men and women they so despised, got a first hand look at what they had sown among the people.

Now violence was no longer an understandable expression of frustration by mistreated minorities, but a civil insurgency/terrorist attack that must be put down ruthlessly, ironically by the same police that they were so recently calling to be defunded..... Roll Eyes

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Voltaire.....(possibly)

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #9 - May 12th, 2021 at 11:15am

Belgarion wrote on May 12th, 2021 at 11:02am:
Now violence was no longer an understandable expression of frustration by mistreated minorities, but a civil insurgency/terrorist attack that must be put down ruthlessly, ironically by the same police that they were so recently calling to be defunded.....

The fact is that it wasn't put down ruthlessly and, for a while, little to no attempt was made to even respond from outside the Capitol building.

Desperate calls, by politicians from both sides of the aisle, begging for assistance by ordering in armed personnel to end the riot were ignored or denied by the commander-in-chief.

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - May 13th, 2021 at 4:43am

NorthOfNorth wrote on May 12th, 2021 at 11:15am:
Now violence was no longer an understandable expression of frustration by mistreated minorities, but a civil insurgency/terrorist attack that must be put down ruthlessly, ironically by the same police that they were so recently calling to be defunded.....

The fact is that it wasn't put down ruthlessly and, for a while, little to no attempt was made to even respond from outside the Capitol building.

Desperate calls, by politicians from both sides of the aisle, begging for assistance by ordering in armed personnel to end the riot were ignored or denied by the commander-in-chief.

has the finger pointing headed her way ...YET????????

very noticeable our lefty chums never mention that when they describe their version of "terrorism"... mainly unarmed angry amerikans....   the reason it went so far is because of that Pelosi harridan

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - May 13th, 2021 at 6:22am

cods wrote on May 13th, 2021 at 4:43am:

very noticeable our lefty chums never mention that when they describe their version of "terrorism"... mainly unarmed angry amerikans....   the reason it went so far is because of that Pelosi harridan

WTF are you talking about?

IP Logged

AiA
Gold Member

Reply #12 - May 13th, 2021 at 6:34am

greggerypeccary wrote on May 13th, 2021 at 6:22am:

It is the drink talking, Gregg.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - May 13th, 2021 at 7:59am

AiA wrote on May 13th, 2021 at 6:34am:

I'd love cods to explain her comment.

"the reason it went so far is because of that Pelosi harridan"

Undecided

IP Logged

AiA
Gold Member

Reply #14 - May 13th, 2021 at 8:59am

greggerypeccary wrote on May 13th, 2021 at 7:59am:
AiA wrote on May 13th, 2021 at 6:34am:

I'd love cods to explain her comment.

"the reason it went so far is because of that Pelosi harridan"

Undecided

It simply makes no sense ...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print