Send Topic Print
Getting beyond a joke (Read 549 times)
Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Getting beyond a joke
May 8th, 2021 at 8:22am

If she dont like it, get off the free ride, get a job and no one will notice.

Quote:
Cambage threat to boycott Olympics over team photos

BASKETBALL star Liz Cambage has threatened to boycott the Tokyo Olympics in protest at what she claims is a lack of racial diversity in Australian Olympic team promotional shoots.

The 29-year-old, a two-time Olympian who is preparing for the new WNBA season with the Las Vegas Aces, on Friday took issue with two separate pictures.

One released this week shows athletes from Australia’s Olympic and Paralympic teams in apparel supplied by sponsor Jockey, but there was no person of colour.

“If I’ve said it once I’ve said it a million times,” Cambage, who has a Nigerian father and Australian mother, said in an Instagram story. “HOW AM I MEANT TO REPRESENT A COUNTRY THAT DOESNT (sic) EVEN REPRESENT ME #whitewashedaustralia.”

The three-time WNBA All-Star also took aim at a second image showing Australian athletes in their uniforms, saying “fake tan doesn’t equal diversity”, despite the picture including Indigenous rugby player Maurice Longbottom.

She indicated she may skip the Olympics in July in protest.

“Y’all really do anything to remove POCs (people of colour) from the forefront when it’s black athletes leading the pack.
Until I see you doing more @ausolympicteam imma sit this one out,” she wrote. Cambage, part of the Australian team that won bronze at the 2012 London Olympics, then referenced Cathy Freeman’s famous 400m gold medal run at her home Olympics in Sydney in 2000.

“Also just to remind you Australia’s GREATEST sporting moment was thanks too (sic) BLACK INDIGENOUS WOMAN (Freeman).” The Australian Olympic Committee conceded Cambage had a point.

“The athletes made available to Jockey could and should have better reflected the rich diversity of athletes who represent Australia at the Olympic Games,” it said in a statement.

“The AOC does, however, have a very proud history of celebrating and promoting diversity in all its forms.”

The AOC added that there would be further photo shoots “that reflect our broad diversity of athletes”. 

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Getting beyond a joke
Reply #1 - May 8th, 2021 at 8:58am

“Also just to remind you Australia’s GREATEST sporting moment was thanks too (sic) BLACK INDIGENOUS WOMAN (Freeman).”

Not so

Some mothers do have them

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #2 - May 8th, 2021 at 9:02am

Bias_2012 wrote on May 8th, 2021 at 8:58am:
“Also just to remind you Australia’s GREATEST sporting moment was thanks too (sic) BLACK INDIGENOUS WOMAN (Freeman).”

Not so

Some mothers do have them
https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2021/05/07/06/42681250-9552671-image-a-24_162036444...

Most politically correct maybe, but far far from the greatest.

She won 1 race.
And wouldnt have won it if the French girl hadn't been frighted off by the mob.

I think there are many more important Olympic events and so many better Olympians than one black shela.

Perhaps Thorpe should be considered, after all, he retired undefeated.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - May 8th, 2021 at 9:22am

Well she said "Greatest sporting moment". So that would be winning the America's Cup

There's many more but in the Olympics the relay team beating the USA in swimming was a greater moment

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - May 8th, 2021 at 9:47am

Valkie wrote on May 8th, 2021 at 8:22am:
If she dont like it, get off the free ride, get a job and no one will notice.

Quote:
Cambage threat to boycott Olympics over team photos

BASKETBALL star Liz Cambage has threatened to boycott the Tokyo Olympics in protest at what she claims is a lack of racial diversity in Australian Olympic team promotional shoots.

The 29-year-old, a two-time Olympian who is preparing for the new WNBA season with the Las Vegas Aces, on Friday took issue with two separate pictures.

One released this week shows athletes from Australia’s Olympic and Paralympic teams in apparel supplied by sponsor Jockey, but there was no person of colour.

“If I’ve said it once I’ve said it a million times,” Cambage, who has a Nigerian father and Australian mother, said in an Instagram story. “HOW AM I MEANT TO REPRESENT A COUNTRY THAT DOESNT (sic) EVEN REPRESENT ME #whitewashedaustralia.”

The three-time WNBA All-Star also took aim at a second image showing Australian athletes in their uniforms, saying “fake tan doesn’t equal diversity”, despite the picture including Indigenous rugby player Maurice Longbottom.

She indicated she may skip the Olympics in July in protest.

“Y’all really do anything to remove POCs (people of colour) from the forefront when it’s black athletes leading the pack.
Until I see you doing more @ausolympicteam imma sit this one out,” she wrote. Cambage, part of the Australian team that won bronze at the 2012 London Olympics, then referenced Cathy Freeman’s famous 400m gold medal run at her home Olympics in Sydney in 2000.

“Also just to remind you Australia’s GREATEST sporting moment was thanks too (sic) BLACK INDIGENOUS WOMAN (Freeman).” The Australian Olympic Committee conceded Cambage had a point.

“The athletes made available to Jockey could and should have better reflected the rich diversity of athletes who represent Australia at the Olympic Games,” it said in a statement.

“The AOC does, however, have a very proud history of celebrating and promoting diversity in all its forms.”

The AOC added that there would be further photo shoots “that reflect our broad diversity of athletes”. 

I think its pretty sad when they find the need to bring all their racial issues into the arena.... what is she talking about  she has an Australian mother    who isnt representing her in the photo shoot......its what I fail to understand with all those who have issueswith race they are mostly half white   which they tend to ignore.......why is that???....do they resent their white parent that much they ignore them?...  sadly for me I dont care if she doesnt go   gives someone else a chance....but seriously the Olympics is supposed to be above this crap.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - May 8th, 2021 at 9:52am

Bias_2012 wrote on May 8th, 2021 at 9:22am:
Well she said "Greatest sporting moment". So that would be winning the America's Cup

There's many more but in the Olympics the relay team beating the USA in swimming was a greater moment 

sport is all about money these days   and drugs....lost its way completely as far as I am concerned   I have a very old tape  I can no longer play  on how the Olympics got started up again  and it showed clips from the very early days  which of course look very funny by todays standards   but when you think about what they did and what they went through in those early days    todays athletes have a walk in the park...they even had to pay their own way back then.....

sport today is all about who has the most money wins.. Undecided Undecided

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - May 8th, 2021 at 10:32am

She carried on all over social media.

Even though Indigenous athlete Maurice Longbottom was in the photos.

She also was a carry on about the George Floyd saga.

A whinging Pom of colour. Roll Eyes

Quote:
In the wake of her threat, Cambage doubled down on her anger Friday night, taking to her Instagram Stories to call on Australia to “wake the *#!k up”.

Cambage has now revealed on Saturday she has been abused by people on social media following her public comments.

Her explosive claims include a suggestion a coach and former players were among the people to have criticised her as a result of her stand.

Australia’s most successful women’s coach Tom Maher on Friday labelled Cambage “inappropriate” for threatening to boycott the Tokyo Olympics.

Maher, who coached the Australian women’s side to their first Olympic medal (bronze) at the 1996 Atlanta Games and a silver at Sydney 2000, believes Cambage shouldn’t have used social media to air her concerns.

“It is inappropriate to make such a big deal out of pretty much nothing,” said Maher, who also won a record nine WNBL titles.

Hours later, Cambage captioned one photo of her sticking her tongue out on her Instagram stories: “I DO NOT CARE FOR A WHITE MAN’S OPINION ON RACIAL ISSUES. NEVER HAVE. NEVER WILL”.

She followed it with another post to suggest her comment was in regards to criticism she had received from a coach and past players.

“Especially when the comments come from one of the most abusive coaches I have ever had and past players no one cares about,” she wrote.

A third post gave a warning to online trolls that there are avenues for her to track social media users sending her threats online.

“Keep the threats coming boys,” she wrote on a screen shot image.

Maher coached Cambage at the Bulleen Boomers and famously challenged her to get back in shape after arriving back in Australia following the WNBA season in 2011.

Cambage admitted at the time she was “unfit” after “sitting on the bench and eating American food”.

The pair combined to lead the Boomers to the WNBL championship that season with Cambage being awarded as the WNBL’s MVP.

Cambage earlier said in an Instagram video she was sorry for her words being incorrectly interpreted as a suggestion proud Indigenous athlete Maurice Longbottom, pictured in one of the photos that sparked the drama, was not a person of colour.

She had earlier said “fake tan doesn’t equal diversity” in regards to the photo.

One token POC in a photo is not good enough at. @AOC that’s what I’m talking about,” she said.

“It’s sad, the whitewashing is sad. Your black athletes lead you everywhere. Indigenous athletes are some of the best athletes we have. An y’all don’t use them at all.”
The AOC had responded earlier on Friday.

“The athletes made available to Jockey could and should have better reflected the rich diversity of athletes who represent Australia at the Olympic Games,” a spokesman said.

“The AOC does however have a very proud history of celebrating and promoting diversity in all its forms. From Indigenous reconciliation, people of colour, gender equality and all forms of diversity, the AOC is rightly proud of its record.”

It’s not the first time Cambage has taken aim over issues of race in Australia with the Las Vegas Aces WNBA star sending a fiery message to Australia “allies” last year in the aftermath of the death of George Floyd and black deaths in custody.

Do that sort thing about your employer in any other arena & you'd lose your job.

And people have.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - May 8th, 2021 at 10:39am

It is inappropriate to make such a big deal out of pretty much nothing,” said Maher, who also won a record nine WNBL title

hey she must have been channeling me... Smiley Smiley

its gobsmacking thats for sure....this puts all the racism crap into perspective   she has done more harm than good for this whole debate   I am thinking...

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #8 - May 9th, 2021 at 10:38am

Well - if that lass doesn't want to participate - good riddance..... plenty of other 'POCs' will..... at least nobody has to sideline her for her silly views - she's doing it to herself.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Reply #9 - May 9th, 2021 at 10:54am

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on May 9th, 2021 at 10:38am:
Well - if that lass doesn't want to participate - good riddance..... plenty of other 'POCs' will..... at least nobody has to sideline her for her silly views - she's doing it to herself.

Agreed.................... Cool

Saw her video about this and imo it was in bad taste.

1. There has never been a more serious assault on our standard of living than Anthropogenic Global Warming..Ajax
2. "One hour of freedom is worth more than 40 years of slavery &  prison" Regas Feraeos

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #10 - May 9th, 2021 at 1:25pm

Seriously - imagine making such a stink about this... it's not as if she's suffered ... doing very well from the White Man's culture.... like most of them.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #11 - May 9th, 2021 at 1:56pm

Freemans Gold medal was a great result for a great athlete and should never be belittled but the greatest ? Not in my opinion. I cannot think of a better track event result though.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #12 - May 9th, 2021 at 2:08pm

When you understand that there was an aboriginal in the picture its just another case of being dumb.

Maurice Longbottom

Related to Kevin ? (Bruce and George) - Maybe even Neville ?

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #13 - May 9th, 2021 at 2:24pm

I wonder how Cambage would address the gross inequities of having black only men running in the 100 metres Olympic finals since 1984. Would she at least consider that they have to have a European (or someone white), Asian, and Middle Eastern to be put in the final so that there would be no racial discrimination?

Liz Cambage's playing ability is good. But the Australian team can still medal just as likely with or without Liz's input.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #14 - May 9th, 2021 at 2:28pm

Dnarever wrote on May 9th, 2021 at 1:56pm:
Freemans Gold medal was a great result for a great athlete and should never be belittled but the greatest ? Not in my opinion. I cannot think of a better track event result though.

Sally Pearson winning gold in the 2012 Olympics during her 100 metre hurdles final. Freeman did not have the competition to run against in the Sydney 2000 400 metres final. In fact, Freeman gave the reason that she cried because she did not run as fast as she wanted. Given that Freeman pushed Perec right to the finish line to have a time of 48.63 seconds (a national record that has not been bettered), it was understandable that Freeman could not be at her best run for a final in 2000.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print