Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Poll closed Poll
Question: Was there a chance that Indigenous Australians practiced agriculture?
*** This poll has now closed ***

Yes    
  8 (53.3%)
No    
  7 (46.7%)

Total votes: 15
« Created by: Brian Ross on: Apr 29th, 2021 at 2:26pm »

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 31
Send Topic Print
A real history of Aboriginal Australians (Read 21501 times)
Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

A real history of Aboriginal Australians
Apr 26th, 2021 at 12:10pm

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: A real history of Aboriginal Australians
Reply #1 - Apr 26th, 2021 at 12:16pm

Brian Ross wrote on Apr 26th, 2021 at 12:10pm:

More Bruce Fakery Pascoe Grin

You, like he, have no credibility.

He's a charlatan & a racial appropriator.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #2 - Apr 26th, 2021 at 12:28pm

Gnads wrote on Apr 26th, 2021 at 12:16pm:
Brian Ross wrote on Apr 26th, 2021 at 12:10pm:

More Bruce Fakery Pascoe Grin

You, like he, have no credibility.

He's a charlatan & a racial appropriator.

Lies, lies and more lies.

This is what the abbo welfare industry lives on.
Gimme, gimme, gimme.

They to could be civilized and ha v e what white people have.
All they need to do is;
WORK AND PAY TAXES
SAVE INSTEAD OF WASTE MONEY ON GROG AND DRUGS
EDUCATE THEMSELVES TO BE MORE EMPLOYABLE

then, they too could be privileged.
Simples.

But parasites find it hard to change 70000 years of doing nothing.
And it appears, while the abbo gene is recessive in colour
The lazy, parasite gene is strong and even 99% white abbos are just as lazy as full blood.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #3 - Apr 26th, 2021 at 12:29pm

First Nation peoples around the world are still responsible for the Mass Extinction of Mega Fauna. People of Civilisations have just been following their lead.

To compare the sufferings of Aboriginal Australians to other peoples around the world and in history is still somewhat 'small' and lesser. The Neanderthals of Britain survived better than the indigenous Sapiens of the Isles who were wiped out but for a handful of concubines. Other peoples have suffered more horrible atrocities than Aboriginals.

Aboriginal people need to 'look outside' their own 40,000 years of imprisonment to see how lucky they are indeed. Especially when it was 'disease' that genocided them, not military or political action. 40,000 years of sterility was their own undoing.

Mind you, if Australia become a Republic - any Aboriginal or British (or others) who do not become a 'Republican' will probably be at the end of the queue. Wanna be Aboriginal - fine, what to be a black Republican Australian - even better!

I do support the preservation of Traditional Aboriginal culture. Humanity as a whole has a lot to learn and benefit from. So easily in this Galaxy, that we might not find any substantial 'life' to compare with us and be alone for 40,000 years too.  Shocked How would we deal with surviving for another 40,000 years - when if you look around, it looks like we won't survive another 100 years!

There is good and bad aspects of the Aboriginal Theme. Remember that 'spirituality' is a form of 'Fashion' - nothing more, nothing less.

I always say that a group of Aboriginals on a hill saw the White Sails in the Sunrise....
One yelled "Invasion!" Angry
Another yelled "Freedom!"  Smiley
Another yelled "We have Guests! Get the barbie lit!"  Cool
Another yelled "It's about time!"  Grin
Another yelled "The Water Spirits are here to let us dried out Land Spirits drink from the Holy Grail finally!"  Cry
Another yelled "Our Gene Pool is saved!"  Kiss
...and so on.

Only Racists see only 'one' right answer and only in black or white.

Btw - Whites colonise their land, they colonise your superior technology (Media). It's a shared experience.  Wink

Suck it up!  Cheesy

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #4 - Apr 26th, 2021 at 1:02pm

I note the usual Racists have raised their voices in opposition to Bruce Pascoe's Thesis without any effort to produce proof his views are incorrect.  I wonder why they just as per usual resort to ad hominem insults?  Is it because they are ignorant of the facts?  I wonder why they love parading their ignorance around, waving it like a flag?  Does it reassure them they are right?  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #5 - Apr 26th, 2021 at 1:31pm

Well - if Bruce would drop his ad homs against the culture that nurtured him so well and actually discuss something without trying to make out he's an Aboriginal - someone might listen to him.

Should have stuck with being an outsider commenting on Aboriginal history and such - then he wouldn't be in a corner.

I can comment on Maoris or Chinese or Russians or feminists or other aliens - doesn't mean I have to claim to be one.... views expressed stand or fall on their own merit.

As things stand - only those striving desperately to be True Believers actually listen to him - but, of course, they know better than everyone else... Educated Person's burden, innit?

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

tickleandrose
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Apr 26th, 2021 at 2:04pm

I have another perspective, from pandemic point of view.   

https://www.parliament.vic.gov.au/publications/research-papers/download/36-research-papers/13957-epidemics-and-pandemics-in-victoria-historical-perspectives

Smallpox and Indigenous population decline

Prior to European settlement, the Kulin people of what came to be known as the Port Phillip region suffered little communicable disease. The Kulin lived in low numbers and without domesticated animals, conditions not conducive to the spread of infectious diseases. Paleopathologists have shown that indigenous peoples living in other parts of Victoria, such as the Murray region, did suffer diarrhoeal diseases resulting from their near-sedentary way of life in a food-rich environment.[footnote 9]

Smallpox is generally accepted as the earliest-known epidemic episode in settler-Australian history, decimating Indigenous Australian populations in the south-eastern parts of the continent. There are continuing debates among historians as to whether smallpox was brought to Australia by the Europeans who settled at Port Jackson in 1788 or by Macassans (from South Sulawesi) with whom Aboriginal peoples in northern Australia had been trading since the mid-eighteenth century.[footnote 10] Most historians accept the former argument, although the conventional account is complicated by the fact that there were no cases of smallpox recorded on the First Fleet or among early settlers. For similar reasons, some historians have argued the disease was in fact chickenpox, which is more infectious than smallpox and severe (even fatal) when contracted by adults, perhaps explaining its easy transmission over less densely populated parts of the continent.[footnote 11]

Two major 'pox' epidemics, one in 1789 and another in 1829–31, severely impacted Australia's Indigenous population. The first recorded outbreak, in April 1789, swept through the Sydney area, and may have reached as far south as the Port Phillip region.[footnote 12] A second outbreak spread along the Murray-Darling Basin from 1829, into eastern Australia reaching the south coast of what would later become Victoria. Records suggest the outbreak was 'universal' in 1830 and 1831 in the country west of Port Phillip, from the Murray River to the south coast. There is less evidence of the outbreak reaching Gippsland. Historian Judy Campbell estimates that the incidence of disease in the dwellings of closely related clans in semi-settled and well-endowed districts, from Portland across to Westernport, would have been high and would have seen severe mortalities rates.[footnote 13]

The two epidemics are estimated to have killed as many as three-quarters of Victoria's pre-colonial population. It is now thought that the Aboriginal population of Victoria was about 60,000 prior to 1788, which the epidemics halved twice, to a population of about 15,000. The Djadja Wurrung people living in the basins of the Loddon and Avoca rivers, for example, was probably halved from 4,000 to less than 2,000 by 1840.[footnote 14]

These losses were compounded by other diseases introduced from Europe. From the early nineteenth century, European whalers and sealers introduced venereal diseases, which not only killed people but rendered Aboriginal women sterile and infected babies, severely diminishing the possibility of an Aboriginal demographic recovery. As Attwood puts it, 'white men's lust killed many more Aboriginal people than did their guns'.[footnote 15] As settlement spread, a further fall occurred as Indigenous peoples came into increasing contact with Europeans. Colds, bronchitis, influenza, measles, scarlet fever, dysentery and tuberculosis—which can kill up to 50 per cent of those who become infected with the active bacteria—spread through Indigenous populations that had little if any immunity to these illnesses.[footnote 16]

Furthermore, as Hunter and Carmody note, the negative effect of these multiple epidemics is likely to have been compounded by declining nutrition associated with the colonial expansion onto lands that had provided their food source.[footnote 17]

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Apr 26th, 2021 at 2:09pm

Brian Ross wrote on Apr 26th, 2021 at 1:02pm:
I note the usual Racists have raised their voices in opposition to Bruce Pascoe's Thesis without any effort to produce proof his views are incorrect.  I wonder why they just as per usual resort to ad hominem insults?  Is it because they are ignorant of the facts?  I wonder why they love parading their ignorance around, waving it like a flag?  Does it reassure them they are right?  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

How about you prove his thesis(fairytale) is correct?

Instead of blindly following what you think is a warm & fuzzy notion like the un-factual lefty you are.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #8 - Apr 26th, 2021 at 4:09pm

Brian Ross wrote on Apr 26th, 2021 at 1:02pm:

Bruce Pascoe is a proven liar.

He has lied about his ancestry.
He has lied about his family

And he has been caught out and called out many times.
He relies on the mantra of racism to allow him to continue his lies.

When Bruce speaks....he lies.

He lies for profit.
He lies for attention.
He lies for the ability to divide a nation.

He has done no research other than bastardising some information from journals of early settlers.

And we all know how accurate they are.

If these accounts were to be believed, Kangaroos would be 100 ft tall and jump hundreds of feet.
The wombats made underground cities and platypus were an mix of ducks and beavers.

Pascoe is a liar riding on the wave of lies and abbo wokeness.

Anyone who listens to him is an idiot.
Anyone who believes him is a brain dead moron.
Anyone who quotes him is an un-salvageable retard.

Pascoe should be charged with fraud and expelled back to England where he was probably expelled for being a lying moron.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #9 - Apr 26th, 2021 at 5:26pm

Now they attack me, the messenger, rather than Pascoe's message.  Oh, dearie, dearie, me, just goes how empty they are of anything factual, preferring to attack rather than consider what he is saying.  He has quoted original explorers/settlers journals, where they wrong, describing what they describe?  If so, where is the counter arguments?  They appear non-existent.  It isn't I who made his points, it is Pascoe.  His points appear valid, until someone produces counter-points.  Tsk, tsk.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Apr 26th, 2021 at 6:48pm

Brian Ross wrote on Apr 26th, 2021 at 5:26pm:
https://emojipedia-us.s3.dualstack.us-west-1.amazonaws.com/thumbs/120/google/223...

Now they attack me, the messenger, rather than Pascoe's message.  Oh, dearie, dearie, me, just goes how empty they are of anything factual, preferring to attack rather than consider what he is saying.  He has quoted original explorers/settlers journals, where they wrong, describing what they describe?  If so, where is the counter arguments?  They appear non-existent.  It isn't I who made his points, it is Pascoe.  His points appear valid, until someone produces counter-points.  Tsk, tsk.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Pull your head out of your ABC arse, Bbwian. 

https://quadrant.org.au/opinion/qed/2021/01/bruce-pascoe-dumped-upon-from-a-grea...

Your teachers would have said it but you, militantly resisting learning all your life, ignored them: read widely.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #11 - Apr 27th, 2021 at 5:59pm

There appears to be a believe that what is being said applies to Indigenous Australians, throughout history.  I wonder why?  Pascoe makes the point that he is examining what the early explorers/settlers saw and wrote about.  Australia is a vast continent, Indigenous Australians in various places would have/could have been at different levels of development, dependent on what the environment could produce and sustain.  Yet it appears to the Racists that he is saying all Indigenous Australians were the same.  Seems very blanket and very narrow minded but hey, what else could we expect from the Racists?  Not much.  Tsk, tsk.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Apr 27th, 2021 at 8:27pm

Yeee-uusssh - but his use of words to describe everyday artefacts and structures that were common to all non-advanced societies has made those seem to be thriving industries and metropolises.

Jesus - we've even got some 'heritage fish traps' around here that tourists can visit ... something so common throughout the world and signifying nothing about any advanced civilisation... rather the opposite.

We used to build 'fish traps' = aquaculture when we were kids playing at the beach and creeks - it's hardly rocket science, and we all built cubby houses and tree houses.... and we all knew our local bush and its trails and tracks and good spots to catch crawchies or find a swimming hole.

'aquaculture', agriculture, 'ancient traditional trade routes' - are not the words to describe such simple things as fish traps made of stones/sticks/sand, a few scattered plots of something or other - and the paths of least resistance that any wandering group with any knowledge of the layout of the land
(not the layabouts of the land - that came later)
are hardly 'traditional trade routes' - they're just known and worn paths for wanderers... sometimes 'sacred paths' which the locals down south used to follow to get from the Heeghland to the Coast and vice versa for their semi-annual pilgrimages - and partly as rites of passage for young people growing up, something the Elders down there wanted to bring back so the young people could learn what it is to be a man and a woman.

I'm sorry to break it to you, Brian - but Pascoe gilded the lily just a light year or so too much... A Bludge Too Far if you ask me.

BTW - in his 'houses of learning' - are there those who posit the opposing views to his monologue?  Or is this a case of 'only one side gets to speak so they must be right'?  So common these days, since we gave too much power and control to silly women, who broke everything down with no idea how to re-build it in their own image.

You could safely remove the -re- from de-construction..... there is no Reconstruction going on.
« Last Edit: Apr 27th, 2021 at 8:34pm by Grappler Truth Teller Feller »  

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Anthony Claydon

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Apr 27th, 2021 at 8:32pm

First Nations are the descendants of the first inhabitants of a land. Norfolk Island was uninhabited when the first settlers arrived. Therefore anyone descended from the first inhabitants of Norfolk Island are a First Nations people....

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Apr 27th, 2021 at 8:39pm

Anthony Claydon wrote on Apr 27th, 2021 at 8:32pm:
First Nations are the descendants of the first inhabitants of a land. Norfolk Island was uninhabited when the first settlers arrived. Therefore anyone descended from the first inhabitants of Norfolk Island are a First Nations people....

Actually - our First Nations were not the first nations here.  Norfolkers are descendants of - well - you read:-

"Norfolk Islanders also referred to as just Islanders are the inhabitants or citizens of Norfolk Island, an external territory of Australia. The Islanders have their own unique identity and are predominantly people of Pitcairn and English descent and to a lesser extent of Scottish and Irish.

The culture held in common by most native-born Norfolk Islanders is mainstream Norfolk culture, traditions primarily inherited from the 194 Pitcairn settlers in 1856. All of the people that claim Pitcairn ancestry are descended from the British HMS Bounty mutineers and the Tahitian companions, including the few who settled afterwards. In the 2016 census, there were 381 Norfolk Island-born residents out of a total of 1,748 inhabiting the island."

Always nice to see you young folk try out your pet theories at OzPol University.... you'll learn fast here...  Cool

It's the LAST nation that counts.. and we are ALL members of that .... get onboard or be left in the raging sea all alone... love it or leave it, and that includes First Nationers who don't want to be Last Nationers.

― John Adams

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 31
Send Topic Print