Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Afghanistan Reloaded (Read 1700 times)
Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Re: Afghanistan Reloaded
Reply #15 - Apr 16th, 2021 at 8:39pm

Oh, dearie, dearie, me, Islamophobia appears to have stricken the usual subjects again.  Tsk, tsk.  Seek help.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #16 - Apr 16th, 2021 at 9:54pm

Brian Ross wrote on Apr 16th, 2021 at 8:39pm:
https://emojipedia-us.s3.dualstack.us-west-1.amazonaws.com/thumbs/120/google/223...

Oh, dearie, dearie, me, Islamophobia appears to have stricken the usual subjects again.  Tsk, tsk.  Seek help.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

That's  enough vagina monologues, Bbwian.  Tsk, tsk,  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #17 - Apr 16th, 2021 at 10:47pm

freediver wrote on Apr 16th, 2021 at 6:38pm:
Bobby. wrote on Apr 16th, 2021 at 12:57pm:
Brian Ross wrote on Apr 16th, 2021 at 11:02am:
Hopefully the Taliban will have learnt a few lessons and will abide by the agreement they sign with the Allies and their Government.   One of a prime motivators of the insurgency has been the presence of foreign troops on Afghan soil.  With their withdrawal the place will settle to the low-level intertribal warfare that has existed there for thousands of years.  I hope the Afghan Government will continue to exist in it's present form and protect the rights of women there.  Roll Eyes

After fighting in Afghanistan for 3,500 years no
other country has ever succeeded in invading there.
We should have learnt from the more recent Russian episode but
it appears human beings never learn when it comes to war.

We invaded Afghanistan. With very little effort. We occupied it for over a decade.

issuevoter wrote on Apr 16th, 2021 at 12:57pm:
freediver wrote on Apr 16th, 2021 at 12:47pm:
issuevoter wrote on Apr 16th, 2021 at 8:00am:
Many forum members will not actually remembers the Taliban were in power in Afghanistan. When the US and allies leave the country, it probably will not take long before via violence and intimidation, the Islamic religious fanatics will sieze total control of that "country." It has taken 20 years and lot of wasted lives and money to get to this point.

The Afghans will now have to sort out their own future, which could have been the case in 2001, if G Bush had left the ground campaign to the perfectly suited opposition forces that had been fighting the Taliban for years.

One thing is for sure, Afghan women are about to loose the few rights they have in Kabul.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-56747158

So we should have given military support to Afghani militants instead?

Absolutely. A large group called the Northern Alliance had been fighting the Kabul Taliban for years, and it developed into a stalemate of open field trenches and fortifications. When the Taliban refused to hand over Bin Laden, the USA, in concert with the Northern Alliance, began precision bombing by flying over the North Pole, bombing, and going on to Diego Garcia to refuel.
The Taliban front line collapsed, and they ran away to Kabul pursued by the NA who capture the city. At that point, the allies could have left the problems to the Afghans while supporting a more progressive government.

But no. George W. Bush just had to play the tough guy and send in the invincible US military. It was bloody obvious what was going to happen, and it did.

You realise that we previously supported the Taliban this way, right?

Yes, I am fully aware.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #18 - Apr 17th, 2021 at 8:54am

Quote:
Yes, I am fully aware.

So what makes you think we would get a different outcome by arming up a different group of Islamic militants and setting them loose?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - Apr 17th, 2021 at 4:52pm

OBrian Ross wrote on Apr 16th, 2021 at 11:02am:
Hopefully the Taliban will have learnt a few lessons and will abide by the agreement they sign with the Allies and their Government.   One of a prime motivators of the insurgency has been the presence of foreign troops on Afghan soil.  With their withdrawal the place will settle to the low-level intertribal warfare that has existed there for thousands of years.  I hope the Afghan Government will continue to exist in it's present form and protect the rights of women there.  Roll Eyes

Grin Grin Grin

You are an idiot, Bbwian. Always keen to show off, always making a fool of yourself.
Mk

The British experienced a disaster as they withdrew at the end of the First Anglo-Afghan War (1839-42). They had secured an agree­ment with the ancestors of today’s Taliban that they could leave unharmed. While retreating over the mountain passes outside Kabul, 4500 British soldiers and 12,500 civilians were murdered by local fighters.

After the Second Anglo-Afghan War, Winston Churchill wrote of Britain’s exploits, “Financially it is ruinous. Morally it is wicked. Militarily it is an open question, and politically it is a blunder.” Nothing has changed.  Alexander the Great, Genghis Khan, the British and the Russians all uncovered the same secret to Afghanistan — it is easily invaded but impossible to control.

Yet it was the policy of Lord Curzon, Britain’s former viceroy of India, who implemented a cunning combination of tribal patronage with multiple agree­ments that as long as the tribes did not interfere with India, Britain would leave the tribes to conduct their own affairs.

The latest assessment by the UN’s analytical support and sanctions monitoring team found al-Qa’ida is active across 12 Afghan provinces with an estimated 400 to 600 operatives throughout the country. This includes Oruzgan, where Australia had operational control. Al-Qa’ida even has been running terrorist training camps in Helmand and Nimroz. According to al-Qa’ida newsletter Thabat, the group regularly conducts attacks across Afghanistan.

The team at the US-based Long War Journal, one of the most insightful bunch of analysts focused on Islamist terror and insurgencies, has been tracking al-Qa’ida’s presence in Afghanistan for more than a decade. Data collated by the LWJ from US military, NATO and Afghan security forces publications along with statements from jihadist groups shows al-Qa’ida has been operating in Afghanistan for years with the approval of the Taliban. It’s enough to make you cry.

Jason Thomas

Long War Journal https://www.longwarjournal.org/
« Last Edit: Apr 17th, 2021 at 5:19pm by Frank »  

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #20 - Apr 17th, 2021 at 11:47pm

freediver wrote on Apr 17th, 2021 at 8:54am:
Quote:
Yes, I am fully aware.

So what makes you think we would get a different outcome by arming up a different group of Islamic militants and setting them loose?

I don't see the Northern Alliance as Islamic militants comparable to the Taliban. The Taliban are flat out religious fanatics. Calling them militants confers on them some kind of legitimate political cause. Muzlim fanatics do not have a legitimate cause. But that doesn't matter here. My point, and one that I think is shared by strategists, is that the NA captured Kabul, and were probably more adept at dealing with the Taliban, than the US military which is trained in field tactics.
Occupying Afghanistan was a fools errand. The US intention was to overthrow the gang that protected Bin Laden. The Taliban just melted into the mountains where the US had no chance of success. The Democracy idea came later. And as was known then, Bin Laden had gone to Pakistan for protection anyway. Using the NA against the Taliban was by far the better option, but President Bush needed badly to appear as if he was doing something. You have to remember that in 2000 the USA was still rather intoxicated with its easy defeat of Saddam in Kuwait, under Stormin Norman Schwartzkopff. But that was a field campaign against men in uniform. The Taliban don't wear uniforms and they don't observe Geneva Conventions.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #21 - Apr 18th, 2021 at 6:23am

Quote:
I don't see the Northern Alliance as Islamic militants comparable to the Taliban.

We didn't see the Taliban that way either until after we started arming them. We saw them pretty much identically to how you now describe the NA.

Quote:
The Democracy idea came later.

When?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #22 - Apr 18th, 2021 at 9:42am

The yanks will get all the soldiers out with all their allies.

Then introduce a nasty, nasty disease to clean the place up.

Corona Virus is just a test run.

Its that or Nuke em.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Apr 18th, 2021 at 9:58am

Stand by for another flood of refugees.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #24 - Apr 25th, 2021 at 10:17am

Here is what the BBC's security "correspondent" thinks of the situation vis a vis the Allie/US withdrawal from Afghanistan. The one quote of any value comes from a UK analyst who says that under no circumstances can the Taliban be trusted. That should be widely acknowledged, but the problem with this article is that nowhere does it discuss the basic motive of the Taliban. A young uninformed person might actually think the Taliban are some political rebels. They are often called "insurgents" by the Western Media who don't want to offend Muzlums. The motive of the Taliban is to establish Islamic Law over Afghanistan at any cost. Every method, moral or otherwise, is justified.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-56860781

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print