Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Government Contract (Read 1602 times)
greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Government Contract
Apr 13th, 2021 at 12:43pm

The federal government has quietly extended its refugee contract for Nauru, handing Queensland firm Canstruct $221 million for the six months to June 30 or $10,000 a day for each detainee on the island.

Nauru detainees cost $10,000 each per day in contract bonanza

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Government Contract
Reply #1 - Apr 13th, 2021 at 3:55pm

Those liberal party donors have been paid $1.4 BILLION over the last 5 yrs ... with a 385% increase only one month AFTER signing their contract  ...

https://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1617960868

The rightards were crying they were costing us to much on the dole  ... now they cost us nearly a years dole, EVERY SINGLE DAY. Farkin morons.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Apr 14th, 2021 at 9:32am

This will be one of the first contracts to be terminated after Labor wins the next election. The Coalition's profligate waste of money must be stopped.

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are only entitled to hold opinions that you can defend through sound, reasoned argument.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #3 - Apr 14th, 2021 at 11:00am

Yes - it's a beauty, isn't it?  'privatisation' and neo-conservatism at its very worst... transfer of public funds into private hands...

Who calls it out in public?

In another vein, the propaganda about 'evil boat people' has so deeply permeated the psyche of many Australians that any change to - say - vetting them HERE will result in screams of 'Invasion'!

https://www.aph.gov.au/binaries/library/pubs/bn/sp/asylumfacts.pdf

"Asylum seekers who arrive by boat are subject to the same assessment criteria as all other asylum applicants. Past figures show that between 70 and 97 percent of asylum seekers arriving by boat at different times have been found to be refugees and granted protection either in Australia or in another country.
The final protection visa grant rate for 2009–10 for people from Afghanistan (the majority of whom would have arrived by boat)was 99.7percent..Grant rates to people from Iraq, Iran and Burma, many of whom would also have arrived by boat, were also high, ranging from 96 to 98 percent. In contrast, asylum claims from people who enter Australia by air on a valid visa and subsequently apply for asylum have not had such high success rates and the majority are not found to be refugees. This is demonstrated by the much lower onshore refugee recognition rates overall (air and boat arrivals combined)of around 20 or 30 per cent annually. In other words, past figures show that more asylum seekers who arrived by boat have been recognised as refugees than those who entered Australia by air.
"

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Apr 14th, 2021 at 11:02am

John Smith wrote on Apr 13th, 2021 at 3:55pm:
Those liberal party donors have been paid $1.4 BILLION over the last 5 yrs ... with a 385% increase only one month AFTER signing their contract  ...

https://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1617960868

The rightards were crying they were costing us to much on the dole  ... now they cost us nearly a years dole, EVERY SINGLE DAY. Farkin morons.

$10,000 per day, for each person.

It's just unbelievable.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Apr 14th, 2021 at 11:06am

Aye - and more of the criminal kind and the second generation criminal kind have arrived by air....... with a visa........

Just saying....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Mix_Master
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Apr 14th, 2021 at 12:28pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Apr 14th, 2021 at 11:06am:
Aye - and more of the criminal kind and the second generation criminal kind have arrived by air....... with a visa........

Just saying....

It doesn't support the prevailing narrative...a narrative which supports the transfer of public money to private operators (as you noted).

The "best money managers" have, as usual, set things up so that a great torrent of money flows from the public to the private sector.

The same people who think it's "OK" to charter aircraft to fly across the country for a photo op and announcement...Having not learned from a predecessor who thought it OK to charter a helicopter to attend a connected friend's wedding at taxpayers expense.

They never learn.

Yet people keep voting for 'em...so it seems neither do "we". Roll Eyes

It's all too easy to "scare the sh*t out of stupid people", it would appear...

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Apr 14th, 2021 at 12:40pm

Just saying....

Yes.

I have no problem with the asylum seekers - none whatsoever.

It's the outrageous contract that concerns me.

I doubt very much that those asylum seekers are each receiving $10,000 worth of care every day.

$10,000 for EACH person, EVERY day.

It's quite simply unbelievable.

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Apr 14th, 2021 at 3:06pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Apr 14th, 2021 at 12:40pm:

Just saying....

Yes.

I have no problem with the asylum seekers - none whatsoever.

It's the outrageous contract that concerns me.

I doubt very much that those asylum seekers are each receiving $10,000 worth of care every day.

$10,000 for EACH person, EVERY day.

It's quite simply unbelievable.

The GDP of Nauru is about $200 million a year.

This contract is costing $500 million a year.

It's pretty clear where this money is NOT going.

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are only entitled to hold opinions that you can defend through sound, reasoned argument.

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #9 - Apr 14th, 2021 at 3:55pm

My only problem with sue jumpers is that we actually look after them.

Just put them on a plane and send them back to where they come from.

Wont tell us where they come from?

Ship the back to Indonesian waters ( where they raised from) and

Put them in a life raft to paddle back.

We don't want, need not deserve any more of these parasites.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Apr 14th, 2021 at 4:50pm

Valkie wrote on Apr 14th, 2021 at 3:55pm:
My only problem with sue jumpers is that we actually look after them.

These people aren't sue jumpers, though.

They're not queue jumpers either.

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #11 - Apr 14th, 2021 at 5:42pm

Just ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS.

We don't want or need them

Send them back

Anybody who wants them should sponsor them and put them up until they start contributing.

That will fix the problem.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Apr 14th, 2021 at 6:04pm

Valkie wrote on Apr 14th, 2021 at 5:42pm:
Just ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS.

No.

Not sue jumpers, queue jumpers, or illegal immigrants.

Just asylum seekers.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Apr 15th, 2021 at 12:35pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Apr 14th, 2021 at 6:04pm:
Just ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS.

No.

Just asylum seekers.

Correct - a person is entitled to claim asylum - then be checked out.  The difference between here and there is that it costs far more to put them there.

As per the figures I've posted time and again - more 'boat people' turn out to be genuine asylum seekers than those who arrive by air... far more.... so only the desperate and truly needy try to get here by boat and are then turned away.... what does that say about Australia?

Doesn't stop the real flood arriving by air every day, and all the other illegal immigrants, such as over-stayers and other rorters.... a far, far lower percentage of whom end up as genuine asylum seekers after being vetted.

As I said - let's go for the Reverse Boat People policy - gather up all the baddies, wait for a boat to arrive, take in and vet those on board it - then re-furbish it and re-load it with Undesirables who can then set sail upon the waters of the world until they find somewhere that will accept them and their criminal or anti-social ways. 

― John Adams

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Apr 15th, 2021 at 12:42pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Apr 15th, 2021 at 12:35pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Apr 14th, 2021 at 6:04pm:
Just ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS.

No.

Just asylum seekers.

Correct - a person is entitled to claim asylum - then be checked out.  The difference between here and there is that it costs far more to put them there.

As per the figures I've posted time and again - more 'boat people' turn out to be genuine asylum seekers than those who arrive by air... far more.... so only the desperate and truly needy try to get here by boat and are then turned away.... what does that say about Australia?

Doesn't stop the real flood arriving by air every day, and all the other illegal immigrants, such as over-stayers and other rorters.... a far, far lower percentage of whom end up as genuine asylum seekers after being vetted.

As I said - let's go for the Reverse Boat People policy - gather up all the baddies, wait for a boat to arrive, take in and vet those on board it - then re-furbish it and re-load it with Undesirables who can then set sail upon the waters of the world until they find somewhere that will accept them and their criminal or anti-social ways. 

Well said.

Boats aren't the problem - they never have been.

The vast majority of asylum seekers who come by boat turn out to be refugees.

"More than 90 per cent of asylum seekers who arrived by boat were found to be genuine refugees in the March quarter, figures to be released on Monday show. But those who arrived by plane - despite being eligible for release into the community and not having to face years of detention on Nauru or Manus Island - were almost twice as likely to be rejected as refugees."  2013

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print