ADHD (Read 612 times)
Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
ADHD
Apr 12th, 2021 at 8:51pm

I have no dog in this fight, no ADHD kids

Here are a few symptoms. It sounds like adults want to drug kids to make them easier to deal with.

Often fidgets with or taps hands or feet, or squirms in seat.
Often leaves seat in situations when remaining seated is expected.
Often runs about or climbs in situations where it is not appropriate (adolescents or adults may be limited to feeling restless).
Often unable to play or take part in leisure activities quietly.
Is often “on the go” acting as if “driven by a motor”.

https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/adhd/diagnosis.html

IBI

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: ADHD
Reply #1 - Apr 12th, 2021 at 9:59pm

Sounds like a normal kid , this term is over used and over diagnosed. They have shown they can "cure" a lot of kids alleged ADHD by changing their diet to a non junk one. I had a friend once who claimed his kid had ADHD, he was hyperactive and ran around nonstop and threw  things at the walls all the time .while I was there once within 2 hours the kid drank at least 3 or 4 cans of coke and had a snack of some sugary treat. ADHD pigsarse.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #2 - Apr 12th, 2021 at 10:09pm

« Last Edit: Apr 12th, 2021 at 10:33pm by Bobby. »  

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #3 - Apr 12th, 2021 at 10:32pm

My cousin had that disorder. My aunt and uncle thought it was a matter of too much red cordial. Then the doctors diagnosed him with ADHD. The parents were told to put their son on some medication. The drugs (Ritalin?) were only used during the schooling. Then the weekends and holidays the child was drug-free to run about and create as much mayhem as he wanted. The parents did not want their son to get too accustomed to the medication.

I remember meeting the cousin. He was so jittery and darting his face and eyes around. I remember seeing something on the table that I wanted to save from him, thinking that he would destroy the item. I reached to get it. Then my cousin grabbed for it himself. We had a mild tug-o-war with the item until I was told to let him have the item. I don't think Dad wanted to put up with an escalating squealing from him for too long.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #4 - Apr 12th, 2021 at 10:36pm

rhino wrote on Apr 12th, 2021 at 9:59pm:
Sounds like a normal kid , this term is over used and over diagnosed. They have shown they can "cure" a lot of kids alleged ADHD by changing their diet to a non junk one. I had a friend once who claimed his kid had ADHD, he was hyperactive and ran around nonstop and threw  things at the walls all the time .while I was there once within 2 hours the kid drank at least 3 or 4 cans of coke and had a snack of some sugary treat. ADHD pigsarse.

I bet you just sat there smiling and not offering him that sort of advice. And you "had a friend once"? Or you had a friend "who once claimed"...?

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #5 - Apr 13th, 2021 at 12:37am

Gordon wrote on Apr 12th, 2021 at 8:51pm:

Here are a few symptoms. It sounds like adults want to drug kids to make them easier to deal with.

Often runs about or climbs in situations where it is not appropriate (adolescents or adults may be limited to feeling restless).

Sounds like a kid to me.......................  Cool

Maybe it's got something to do with the feminisation of the school system... this 'need' to control kids at all times since the 'teacher' is out of her depth...

Amazing - simply amazing...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #6 - Apr 13th, 2021 at 12:41am

UnSubRocky wrote on Apr 12th, 2021 at 10:32pm:
My cousin had that disorder. My aunt and uncle thought it was a matter of too much red cordial. Then the doctors diagnosed him with ADHD. The parents were told to put their son on some medication. The drugs (Ritalin?) were only used during the schooling. Then the weekends and holidays the child was drug-free to run about and create as much mayhem as he wanted. The parents did not want their son to get too accustomed to the medication.

I remember meeting the cousin. He was so jittery and darting his face and eyes around. I remember seeing something on the table that I wanted to save from him, thinking that he would destroy the item. I reached to get it. Then my cousin grabbed for it himself. We had a mild tug-o-war with the item until I was told to let him have the item. I don't think Dad wanted to put up with an escalating squealing from him for too long.

Your family has a fertile field of disorders to feat on - it seems...

So does mine - but still.... I volunteered for a PTSD course and the docs said I was the worst and was hopeless... a psychological condition caused by exposure of ordinary people to extraordinary events - but that's it for my side of the family...

ADHD is vastly over-rated and over-diagnosed if you ask me.

You had to be there................

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #7 - Apr 13th, 2021 at 2:19am

I had a situation in recent years where I thought I had developed a late stage ADHD condition. I could not concentrate on anything. When they brought out the Nintendo Minis, I bought one months later. I played for hours on end a particular game that I had not played since my teens. After a week of playing the game, I found that my concentration levels for reading had considerably improved. I had even slept a bit better.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Apr 13th, 2021 at 8:32am

I have 2 grandsons on the Autism spectrum with multiple diagnoses of conditions within that spectrum.

It's no easy thing to parent to an 11 yr old & a 4 year old with these conditions.

The eldest one is medicated & the difference is very noticeable...... he is high functioning & will tell you when he's not coping with things like he's hot or his brain/head is burning ..... and he often takes himself for a cool shower when this happens.

the youngest one is not old enough for medication...... and his nicknames are Lil Dynamo or Wreck it Ralph.

He has speech & concentration problems but is very smart at communicating his wants.

He would be extremely wearing on any parent or grandparent.

We love our grandsons to bits but we couldn't look after them for more than a few days.......

The bogeyman of medicating children isn't warranted .... as I have seen how it helps my grandson ....

the cases are all individual & what works for some does not work for other children .... it all has to be tailored specifically after extensive diagnoses & trial.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #9 - Apr 13th, 2021 at 9:15am

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Apr 13th, 2021 at 12:37am:

Sounds like a kid to me.......................  Cool

Maybe it's got something to do with the feminisation of the school system... this 'need' to control kids at all times since the 'teacher' is out of her depth...

Amazing - simply amazing...

It is but not by some evil conspiracy, just evolution of the system.

School is optimised for girls and quiet boys because they're who is easiest to teach. Its easier to drug rambunctious boys than deal with then.

Funny tho, a naturally high energy boy is the enemy of a school and needs to be drugged.  A boy who thinks he's a girl, you're amazing!

IBI

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #10 - Apr 13th, 2021 at 9:22am

Gnads I don't dispute the meds help kids but it's such a money spinner and so over prescribed.

Don't worry tho, there's a brand new ADHD drug.

Qelbree may increase suicidal thoughts and actions in some children with ADHD, especially within the first few months of treatment or when the dose is changed. Pay close attention to any new or sudden changes in mood, behavior, thoughts, and feelings.

IBI

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Apr 13th, 2021 at 9:36am

Gordon wrote on Apr 13th, 2021 at 9:22am:
Gnads I don't dispute the meds help kids but it's such a money spinner and so over prescribed.

Don't worry tho, there's a brand new ADHD drug.

Qelbree may increase suicidal thoughts and actions in some children with ADHD, especially within the first few months of treatment or when the dose is changed. Pay close attention to any new or sudden changes in mood, behavior, thoughts, and feelings.

I don't believe it's over prescribed ..... what has happened is there has been an increase in the number of children ... & adults diagnosed with some form of autism in the spectrum.

neither of my grandsons were or are eligible for meds consideration until they were/are nearly 6 yrs old.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #12 - Apr 13th, 2021 at 4:11pm

You've just cherrypicked a few symptoms out.
If anyone actually clicked on the link they would see that it is a lot more complicated to receive a diagnosis of ADHD. And the criteria in the link are just the shortened form.

It's almost as if Gordon was just pushing an agenda

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Apr 13th, 2021 at 4:24pm

The_Barnacle wrote on Apr 13th, 2021 at 4:11pm:

nah? really?  Shocked Shocked Shocked

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #14 - Apr 13th, 2021 at 4:52pm

The_Barnacle wrote on Apr 13th, 2021 at 4:11pm:

You've just cherrypicked a few symptoms out.
If anyone actually clicked on the link they would see that it is a lot more complicated to receive a diagnosis of ADHD. And the criteria in the link are just the shortened form.

Which is why I said a few, you even highlighted it.
Are you on speed or something?

IBI

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print