Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
at an absolute disgrace is the NBN (Read 677 times)
cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

at an absolute disgrace is the NBN
Apr 12th, 2021 at 8:56am

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/victoria/governmentowned-company-which-ra...

The government-owned company in charge of the National Broadband Network treated their employees to Christmas parties that cost a whopping $655,000 over three years.

And NBN Co staff were reimbursed $616,000 for meals they ate in the office while working overtime, as part of an extraordinary three-year expenses bill totalling $47m.

The Sunday Herald Sun can reveal NBN Co also racked up $923,000 in spending on “staff entertainment” including off-site team meetings and conferences.

NBN Co has already been at the centre of a political storm after staff received $77m in bonuses in a five-month period during the COVID-19 recession.

Opposition government services spokeswoman Kimberley Kitching accused Communications Minister Paul Fletcher and “his cosy club of NBN bosses” of “partying like it’s 1999 and delivering slow broadband speeds like it’s 1999”.

“His ‘see no evil, hear no evil’ approach to management is causing tens of million of dollars of high on the hog spending with NBN snouts in a golden trough,” Senator Kitching said.

A full breakdown of NBN Co employee expenses across the 2018, 2019 and 2020 financial years also reveals:

ALMOST $800,000 was spent on overseas trips including meetings and trade events.

THE bill for entertaining clients was $187,000, with $392,282 spent on external marketing.

FEES for staff to hold memberships of professional organisations added up to $619,239.

A STAFF awards program cost $226,000.

Between July 1 last year and February 28, the total cost of employee expenses plummeted to just $1.4m. An NBN Co spokesman said the organisation cancelled all non-essential travel in 2020 and most employees who could work from home were encouraged to do so.

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

But Senator Kitching said that with Australia facing nearly a $1 trillion in debt, the government needed to “reign in the extravagant spending that’s going on at taxpayer-owned entities”.

NBN Co has 13 executives earning above $500,000 and 733 staff on at least $200,000 a year.

733 staff all on $200.000pa... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Re: at an absolute disgrace is the NBN
Reply #1 - Apr 12th, 2021 at 9:25am

Quote:
“partying like it’s 1999 and delivering slow broadband speeds like it’s 1999”

That would definitely qualify for comment of the year. Brilliant!

Having said that, I'm still extremely pleased with my NBN which we've had for the past 5 and a half years. But, probably only because it is fibre to the premises and I've had zero problems with it. I'm sure the rest of Australia would have been the same if the Federal Liberals hadn't made a complete mess of it since 2013.

"Sooner, Cheaper, Faster"? Nah... don't think so for the majority of Australia.

"Masks are sand in the gears of the economy" - some f-wit pollie or big business CEO.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Apr 12th, 2021 at 5:30pm

have you ever heard of anything being "cheaper"..

or in my case faster... Undecided.. but nothing happens fast in Canberra..so I am used to it..

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Apr 12th, 2021 at 5:52pm

Abbott and Turdball should be shot for stuffing up the NBN

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Apr 13th, 2021 at 8:21am

John Smith wrote on Apr 12th, 2021 at 5:52pm:

from day one this was out of control....they had masses of staff on standby.it was always going to end up like this.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Apr 13th, 2021 at 3:58pm

cods wrote on Apr 13th, 2021 at 8:21am:
John Smith wrote on Apr 12th, 2021 at 5:52pm:

from day one this was out of control....they had masses of staff on standby.it was always going to end up like this.

Rubbish ... this lost control when Abbott won. He farked up the NBN, vital infrastructure that should have seen us through for another 50 yrs, just because he realised idiots like you would fall for it . Now it's going to cost us twice as much as the original proposal, for a third rate product

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Apr 13th, 2021 at 6:25pm

when it was first lauded   we were told it would cost $4bn.....that was krudds estimate...they have never got anything right   but suckers like you believe everything they tell you.... I also believe they had something like 400 employees on the books 6 months before anything kicked off.....all they did was fly around the country meeting and drinking on the taxpayers.. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Apr 13th, 2021 at 6:56pm

cods wrote on Apr 13th, 2021 at 6:25pm:
when it was first lauded   we were told it would cost $4bn.....that was krudds estimat

that was for a plan that was never in serious contention. The final agreed upon version of the nbn, the same version John Howard first proposed, was always estimated to cost more. But you keep harking on about $4B as if it's relevant. .. helps you pretend to ignore your stupidity in falling for abbotts bullsh1t

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Apr 14th, 2021 at 10:07am

And Morrison sacks a woman for spending a few thou on some watches

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Apr 14th, 2021 at 6:28pm

Bias_2012 wrote on Apr 14th, 2021 at 10:07am:
And Morrison sacks a woman for spending a few thou on some watches

yes it would be nice to see a few heads roll at the NBN corp....its been like this since krudd signed the ok..

$47million for 3 years expenses   holy cow!.....where the hell does that money come from?....

NBN Co has 13 executives earning above $500,000 and 733 staff on at least $200,000 a year.

plus 6000 employees Undecided

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print