Send Topic Print
Western Culture (Read 31190 times)
Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Western Culture
Reply #15 - Apr 14th, 2021 at 9:33pm

Bias_2012 wrote on Apr 13th, 2021 at 8:40pm:
A little more on the origins of Western Culture at the time of the Roman Empire, then we can move on to later centuries to see how it develops throughout the ages

These are self explanatory ....

Concepts of what is the West arose out of legacies of the Western Roman Empire and the Eastern Roman Empire. Later, ideas of the West were formed by the concepts of Latin Christendom and the Holy Roman Empire.

What is thought of as Western thought today originates primarily from Greco-Roman and Germanic influences
, and includes the ideals of the Middle Ages, the Renaissance, and the Enlightenment, as well as Christian culture.

Medieval Christianity is credited with creating the modern university, the modern hospital system, scientific economics, and natural law (which would later influence the creation of international law). Christianity played a role in ending practices common among pagan societies, such as human sacrifice, slavery, infanticide and polygamy

Let's not confuse Christianity with the Roman Catholic church. Christianity is a belief system in it's own right. The Roman Catholic church purports to be Christian, but at the end of the day, it's only a church, and hasn't always been Christian

That last bit is Bbwianesque. Tsk, tsk  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #16 - Apr 14th, 2021 at 11:50pm

Frank wrote on Apr 14th, 2021 at 9:33pm:
A little more on the origins of Western Culture at the time of the Roman Empire, then we can move on to later centuries to see how it develops throughout the ages

These are self explanatory ....

Concepts of what is the West arose out of legacies of the Western Roman Empire and the Eastern Roman Empire. Later, ideas of the West were formed by the concepts of Latin Christendom and the Holy Roman Empire.

What is thought of as Western thought today originates primarily from Greco-Roman and Germanic influences
, and includes the ideals of the Middle Ages, the Renaissance, and the Enlightenment, as well as Christian culture.

Medieval Christianity is credited with creating the modern university, the modern hospital system, scientific economics, and natural law (which would later influence the creation of international law). Christianity played a role in ending practices common among pagan societies, such as human sacrifice, slavery, infanticide and polygamy

Let's not confuse Christianity with the Roman Catholic church. Christianity is a belief system in it's own right. The Roman Catholic church purports to be Christian, but at the end of the day, it's only a church, and hasn't always been Christian

Well the distinction was meant to be that you can be Christian without having to practice Catholicism

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Apr 15th, 2021 at 11:04am

The Catholic Church hasnt always been Christian??  That is the Bbwianesque bit.

Peter (Petros, lit. Stone, rock) is what Jesus founded the church. "And I tell you that you are Peter,  and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it."

You can't be more " always Christian" than that.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - Apr 15th, 2021 at 1:16pm

Frank wrote on Apr 15th, 2021 at 11:04am:
The Catholic Church hasnt always been Christian??  That is the Bbwianesque bit.

Peter (Petros, lit. Stone, rock) is what Jesus founded the church. "And I tell you that you are Peter,  and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it."

You can't be more " always Christian" than that.

What has happened to it since then is what I'm talking about. There's been splits, corruption, anti-Semitism, pedophilia, dissent and "authoritarianism"

There's no doubt Christian churches, when they weren't so obstinate, played a big part in the building of Western Culture, but churches have their own separate ideas these days and Christians can decide for themselves which one they'd like to attend.

However, the principles of Christianity remain the same and to many Christians, attending a church isn't really necessary

That said, Christian principles need to be re-taught nowadays as a prerequisite of hanging on to our Western Culture, if we keep taking it for granted, we could lose it, and what is there to replace it? We seem to be gradually reverting back to paganism and selfishness

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - Apr 15th, 2021 at 1:52pm

Far be it from me to play biblical scholar and exegesist but the operative word in that verse in Matthew is 'build'.
The church wasn't completed or perfect at any particular time  - nor demolished. It is, like Christianity, like redemption, always unfolding. Like the common law, Christianity is interpreted now in the light of earlier interpretations. What IS its absolute genious is that it is an immensely fertile, deep and rich and rewarding subject to engage with, study, interpret and absorb. And that goes for its fruits in philosophy, literature, art, whether inspired by its Catholic or protestant interpretation.

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #20 - Apr 17th, 2021 at 12:21pm

Frank wrote on Apr 14th, 2021 at 9:33pm:

It's also a nice little "get out" clause. It means that even if something was actively opposed by the church, Bias can still claim it as a "Christian" advance because the person was theoretically a Christian.

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #21 - Apr 21st, 2021 at 7:18pm

JYadda wrote on Apr 13th, 2021 at 3:57pm:

Once upon a time, in a land far, far away.....

Western Culture once seemed to encourage [personal] responsibility, human reason, and material innovation [i.e. science and its 'method'].

But societies today which claim 'possession' of THE VALUES of what we once knew as 'Western Culture' are, i would argue, 'philosophically' focused upon the pursuit of 1/ hedonism, and 2/ consumption.   ??

And our 'education' systems seem to have been hijacked by social forces [i.e. 'social activists'] whose main objective seems to be; encouraging and teaching individuals how to cheat reasonable laws and reasonable rules and reasonable social conventions,
in order to pursue the '1/ and 2/' without earning the 'credit' to 'legitimately' do so.

I would argue, that today, we [in 'Western' nations] all live in a 'theft' focused society.

i.e.
'You may do anything that you want [i.e. desire] to do.'

'And if anybody pulls you up, and tries to hold you to account for [the consequences of] your actions, ...just insistently argue with them, that they have no right to try to hold you to account [for what you are doing/have done].'

It is LAWLESSNESS.

So called, 'Western societies' [today], are teaching LAWLESSNESS and social irresponsibility [as 'skill sets'], to its own children.

BLM, Greens, Trans activist politics, Extinction Rebellion, Critical Race Theory,     POLITICIANS,    and on, and on.

You dont see this reported by the ABC or The Granuiad.

What will Biddenites do?
Biden Education Department Wants To Prioritize Critical Race Theory And 1619 Project In School Curriculum

« Last Edit: Apr 21st, 2021 at 7:26pm by Frank »  

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #22 - Apr 25th, 2021 at 3:11pm

Now we come to the question of why our culture is called "Western" culture

It's because it's distinguishable from "Eastern" culture ...

"
The main difference between eastern and western culture is that people in the east are more traditional and conservative than the people in the west
."

Eastern Culture

Eastern world refers to countries in Asia and Middle East. The people in eastern countries are more traditional than people in the West when we consider their rituals, customs, clothing, etc. For example, Indians pay respect to their elders by touching their feet; East Asians use bows as greetings, apologizing and thanking. People in the East are rigid in their ideologies and beliefs; they are often reluctant to challenge and question the long practiced traditions and customs.

In eastern countries, elders are considered as the head of the home and children respect and obey them in all decisions. The important decisions regarding children’s future are usually taken by elders. When parents grow old, the children are expected to look after them.

Arranged marriages are a common phenomenon in eastern countries. They are usually arranged by parents or elders. Factors like education, social status, and family background are considered in these marriages. The concept that love comes after marriage is also promoted by these marriages. Moreover, public displays of affection are often frowned upon in Eastern countries.

Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, Shenism, and Taoism are some common religions in these countries. Rituals and customs of different communities may also differ according to these religions.

https://pediaa.com/difference-between-eastern-and-western-culture/

Now, since the introduction of Eastern culture by way of non-discriminatory immigration and multiculturalism, Australia has now, in a sense, two main "competing" cultures, held together by Western rule of Law, Western civil institutions and Western governments

Two main prominent cultures, East and West, being amalgamated under Western influence and law in Western Nations. Will this succeed in the long term?

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #23 - Apr 28th, 2021 at 12:22pm

Bias_2012 wrote on Apr 25th, 2021 at 3:11pm:

Two main prominent cultures, East and West, being amalgamated under Western influence and law in Western Nations. Will this succeed in the long term?

An absurd oversimplification.
To claim there are only two cultures and only one Western law is simply completely incorrect

There are many diverse cultures all over the world and within those cultures many individuals who hold different values.
So called "Western Law" also varies across many countries. Ours is certainly different to the USA which is different to Europe.

There is also the issue of many "Eastern" cultures becoming Westernised due to the USA's cultural impact from the internet and media.

It's an interesting subject but is far more complex than you are giving it credit for

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #24 - Apr 28th, 2021 at 3:32pm

Western Nations (USA, UK, Aust) are more apt at winning Wars than practicing good Medicine.

...and the Middle-East is the best at all things Military too.
The West is just a Police Officer/Politician at the best of it.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #25 - May 3rd, 2021 at 12:01am

Let's take a break with another song .. "Everybody wants to rule the World"

Did you know this song "was banned for broadcast by the BBC for the duration of the first Gulf War (2 August 1990 – 28 February 1991) due to the song's political themes."

I didn't see anything in the lyrics that was politically offensive, perhaps the title of the song didn't please progressive World leaders lol  Oh, maybe these words got under their skin "Nothing ever lasts forever"

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #26 - May 6th, 2021 at 12:50am

We might be in trouble ....

This BBC article presents senarios of what could happen if Western civilisation begins to collapse or does collapse. The author compares some aspects to the collapse of the Roman Empire

It's interesting and it mirrors the thoughts I've had about about it. Hope you all read it

How Western civilisation could collapse

Some possible precipitating factors are already in place. How the West reacts to them will determine the world’s future, says Rachel Nuwer.

This story is featured in BBC Future’s “Best of 2017” collection.

The political economist Benjamin Friedman once compared modern Western society to a stable bicycle whose wheels are kept spinning by economic growth. Should that forward-propelling motion slow or cease, the pillars that define our society – democracy, individual liberties, social tolerance and more – would begin to teeter. Our world would become an increasingly ugly place, one defined by a scramble over limited resources and a rejection of anyone outside of our immediate group. Should we find no way to get the wheels back in motion, we’d eventually face total societal collapse.

Such collapses have occurred many times in human history, and no civilisation, no matter how seemingly great, is immune to the vulnerabilities that may lead a society to its end. Regardless of how well things are going in the present moment, the situation can always change. Putting aside species-ending events like an asteroid strike, nuclear winter or deadly pandemic, history tells us that it’s usually a plethora of factors that contribute to collapse. What are they, and which, if any, have already begun to surface? It should come as no surprise that humanity is currently on an unsustainable and uncertain path – but just how close are we to reaching the point of no return?

Read the rest here - a must read ....

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20170418-how-western-civilisation-could-colla...

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #27 - May 8th, 2021 at 12:21pm

Bias_2012 wrote on May 3rd, 2021 at 12:01am:
Did you know this song "was banned for broadcast by the BBC for the duration of the first Gulf War (2 August 1990 – 28 February 1991) due to the song's political themes."

The BBC banned a total of 67 songs during the first Gulf War
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_banned_by_the_BBC

There shouldn't be any surprise in this, censorship has always been at it's peak during wartime

IP Logged

Ayn Marx
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South of Australia
Reply #28 - May 12th, 2021 at 1:47pm

The_Barnacle wrote on Apr 28th, 2021 at 12:22pm:
Bias_2012 wrote on Apr 25th, 2021 at 3:11pm:

An absurd oversimplification.
To claim there are only two cultures and only one Western law is simply completely incorrect

There are many diverse cultures all over the world and within those cultures many individuals who hold different values.
So called "Western Law" also varies across many countries. Ours is certainly different to the USA which is different to Europe.

There is also the issue of many "Eastern" cultures becoming Westernised due to the USA's cultural impact from the internet and media.

It's an interesting subject but is far more complex than you are giving it credit for

Well put. The majority of those who post on this site have next to no understanding of &/or  knowledge of the complex history of what they simplistically refer to as ‘western philosophy’.

Not surprising considering many here suffer from the delusion the US Republicans and Australia’s Herr Morrison are champions of free enterprise. At times I wish Ayn Rand was still with us to tear into such ignorance. Not that I ever supported her in anything other than her metaphysics.

The Human Race is Insane

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #29 - May 12th, 2021 at 2:30pm

'Western' culture was indeed 'western' - pertaining to the Celtic 'West' rather than the Skandi North, the Slavic East and the Latin South of Europe.

That Celtic 'West' (of tall Anglos and small ranga Saxons) went to North America (fled) and became even more 'Western'.

...except for one thing. Those blue brunette Skandi northerners and grey raven Latin southerners have been ruling Politics through their empowerment of 'Media' for so long, that a mear forray from a Saxon ranga called Trump only seemed to go so far and has now been snuffed away as a UFO conspiracy and all that. Trump never really existed.
So its back to the Blue North (of Europe) and the Grey South (of Europe) - of the Media Alliance back in charge of American 'so-called' Western Politics.
Also known as the Fake (Media) Politics.

...but where a little ranga Saxon fails with his battle-axe to grind and his trophy girl (Melania).
...there is a tall 'real white' Anglo somewhere nearby. Wink

Dopey blue-brunette pussy-whipped Biden can only 'stumble' in his footprints.  Wink

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 28
Send Topic Print