Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Re: ANZAC
Reply #15 - Apr 13th, 2021 at 1:08am

Brian Ross wrote on Apr 12th, 2021 at 8:03pm:
Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Apr 12th, 2021 at 6:55pm:
Brian Ross wrote on Apr 9th, 2021 at 1:04pm:

Why?  Wasn't the blood shed for them enough?  My grandfather was wounded twice and stayed on to the end as a runner despite being classified 'medically unfit for full service' in 1917.

Are they acknowledging, at the same time, what Whartey has done for them?

It's the water in WA, I tellz yez...

You appear to forget, they laid their lives down for nation that refused to acknowledge them as citizens or their previous ownership of the land.  Don't you think they might be owed a debt of gratitude?  Any at all?  Oh, dearie, dearie, me.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

No - I do not forget... Aboriginal Diggers are commemorated along with everyone else - you cannot dwell in the past.  The fact that they were so abominably treated on their return is a disgrace - but 'recognition of past ownership' is irrelevant to recognition of their service.

Their ownership days were long gone...

Recognition of their service is appropriate..... not more arse-kissing to ideology...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #16 - Apr 13th, 2021 at 1:28pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Apr 13th, 2021 at 1:08am:

Why?  Wasn't the blood shed for them enough?  My grandfather was wounded twice and stayed on to the end as a runner despite being classified 'medically unfit for full service' in 1917.

You appear to forget, they laid their lives down for nation that refused to acknowledge them as citizens or their previous ownership of the land.  Don't you think they might be owed a debt of gratitude?  Any at all?  Oh, dearie, dearie, me.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

No - I do not forget... Aboriginal Diggers are commemorated along with everyone else - you cannot dwell in the past.  The fact that they were so abominably treated on their return is a disgrace - but 'recognition of past ownership' is irrelevant to recognition of their service.

Recognition of their service is appropriate..... not more arse-kissing to ideology...

The majority of the RSL leadership disagrees it seems.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Apr 13th, 2021 at 11:43pm

Brian Ross wrote on Apr 13th, 2021 at 1:28pm:

Not so - the issue of recognition of service is entirely separate from recognition of anything else... Aboriginal Veterans and ex-Service are treated the same as everyone else these days....

You're talking about WA again - it's the water... some desperate need to mea culpa about things the current population had nothing to do with... time to move on.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #18 - Apr 14th, 2021 at 10:51am

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Apr 13th, 2021 at 11:43pm:

Not so - the issue of recognition of service is entirely separate from recognition of anything else... Aboriginal Veterans and ex-Service are treated the same as everyone else these days....

You're talking about WA again - it's the water... some desperate need to mea culpa about things the current population had nothing to do with... time to move on.

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - Apr 16th, 2021 at 12:35am

It's silly, Brian - why bother to celebrate past ownership on a day that has nothing to do with that piece of ancient history?

You cannot appease people.... you only encourage them to go for more and more.

― John Adams

IP Logged

Belgarion
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - Apr 16th, 2021 at 10:02am

Brian Ross wrote on Apr 14th, 2021 at 10:51am:
Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Apr 13th, 2021 at 11:43pm:

The majority of the RSL leadership did not support a Royal Commission into ex service personnel suicides, yet are happy to support this meaningless virtue signalling.  Says it all abut the RSL leadership.  Roll Eyes

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Voltaire.....(possibly)

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #21 - Apr 16th, 2021 at 10:53am

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Apr 16th, 2021 at 12:35am:
It's silly, Brian - why bother to celebrate past ownership on a day that has nothing to do with that piece of ancient history?

You cannot appease people.... you only encourage them to go for more and more.

You can at least show you are making an attempt - to appease people.  After having been pood upon for the most of the last 2 centuries, I think Indigenous People are owed something to show they are now an essential part of the our society after they have been outright rejected.   They were willing to step up to the plate and help defend us, we at least can recognise that.   The reality it was their country and we should accept that and recognise it.

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #22 - Apr 23rd, 2021 at 3:04pm

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Apr 23rd, 2021 at 6:18pm

The New Zealanders had better get back onside.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #24 - Apr 23rd, 2021 at 6:50pm

Anzac day services cancelled in Perth, thank God. Wont have to see all these war hero wannabes marching with their tin medals.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #25 - Apr 24th, 2021 at 5:24pm

rhino wrote on Apr 23rd, 2021 at 6:50pm:
Anzac day services cancelled in Perth, thank God. Wont have to see all these war hero wannabes marching with their tin medals.

Marching on behalf of their fathers or grandfathers, perhaps?

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #26 - Apr 24th, 2021 at 7:35pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Apr 24th, 2021 at 5:24pm:

Why, though?

What's the point?

The last Anzac died about 19 years ago.

We don't need a parade or service to remember and respect them.

I'm with rhino on this one.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #27 - Apr 24th, 2021 at 9:53pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Apr 24th, 2021 at 5:24pm:

look, I worked with people who were desk clerks in Australia for 20 years and march with a chest full of medals and call themselves "vets" and declare to everyone "they served".I could march with medals If I wanted, I dont.  Its a load of wank. But when the sh1t goes down they freeze like statues and all of a sudden they are 2 metres behind you. Unfortunately this type of service person is becoming quite common.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #28 - Apr 25th, 2021 at 2:47am

Oh, I get you. They were in a theatre of war, but they were not going out in the field and facing the danger. I wonder how they got those medals if they did not earn them.

I thought you were talking about the children and grandchildren of those that marched on behalf of their veteran relatives because the vets got too old to even ride in a vehicle. When I was growing up, we saw fewer and fewer WW1 veterans, even in our town. Did not see one after the early 1990s. Plenty of WW2 veterans for a while. Then their numbers dwindled over the years. Vietnam veterans are now getting as rare as WW2 veterans were when I was a teen.

I understand if you have a problem with non-combatant marching. But the day is supposed to be symbolic of those that fought AND died. And I would not have a problem with some non-combatants marching in parades. Especially if they were the ones drafted to go to Vietnam.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #29 - Apr 25th, 2021 at 6:37am

We did the local dawn service.

It is paying my respects for those that have done something to help me.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print