Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
ANZAC (Read 2794 times)
Brian Ross

Representative of me

ANZAC
Apr 4th, 2021 at 1:14pm

« Last Edit: Apr 9th, 2021 at 1:03pm by Brian Ross »  

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Belgarion
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: ANZAC memories
Reply #1 - Apr 5th, 2021 at 9:26am

An interesting collection, but there is no real need for him to dress up in a uniform to display it.   No doubt there are those who would call for his collection to be destroyed because it displays swastikas. Roll Eyes

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Voltaire.....(possibly)

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Apr 5th, 2021 at 11:34am

What happened to Hitler's convertible? it recently sold for $7 million

Ten percent of the vehicle’s auction proceeds will go to Holocaust education.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/19072/hitlers-parade-car-bought-by-anonymous-buyer

After the war, it was donated to a local branch of the Veterans of Foreign Wars (in the US), which used the car in parades.

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #3 - Apr 5th, 2021 at 11:49am

Belgarion wrote on Apr 5th, 2021 at 9:26am:
An interesting collection, but there is no real need for him to dress up in a uniform to display it.   No doubt there are those who would call for his collection to be destroyed because it displays swastikas. Roll Eyes

Which is why I suggested he is a bit of a duffer, plus of course his admission that he was a "Cadet instructor".   

An officer of Cadets is considered the lowest of the low generally by the Regular Forces.  I remember one Cadet camp I was assigned to as support staff where I was identified as a "regular" by the Cadets when I was returning from the Mess one night because my trousers were "bloused" (ie held around the boot top by a rubber band) rather than tucked in as Officers of Cadets usually wore them and the Cadets could tell the difference from our silhouette.   Even the Cadets knew the difference and would jump when we issued a command compared to how they reacted when the Officers of Cadets spoke to them.  They were scared of us, despite us actually having no power over them.  We expected obedience and they reacted accordingly.

Cadet camps were compared to regular exercises pleasure camps in our minds.  Little work and plenty of boozing. Wink

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Apr 5th, 2021 at 1:14pm

Brian Ross wrote on Apr 5th, 2021 at 11:49am:
[quote author=Belgarion link=1617506056/1#1 date=1617578785]An interesting collection, but there is no real need for him to dress up in a uniform to display it.   No doubt there are those who would call for his collection to be destroyed because it displays swastikas. Roll Eyes

It's an ANZAC uniform. The title of this thread is "Anzac memories". And what better way is there to display it than wearing it?

He wants his collection to end up in a museum. All artifacts are legitimate in museums, that's what museums are for, to display historical items of all kinds

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Apr 5th, 2021 at 1:26pm

Which is why I suggested he is a bit of a duffer 

You had a go at Pauline Hanson when she went before the cameras and said: "Ban the Swastika in Australia"

Do you have a list in your basement of people who are allowed to say that, and another list who are not allowed to say it?

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #6 - Apr 5th, 2021 at 2:31pm

Bias_2012 wrote on Apr 5th, 2021 at 1:14pm:
[quote author=Belgarion link=1617506056/1#1 date=1617578785]An interesting collection, but there is no real need for him to dress up in a uniform to display it.   No doubt there are those who would call for his collection to be destroyed because it displays swastikas. Roll Eyes

It's an ANZAC uniform. The title of this thread is "Anzac memories". And what better way is there to display it than wearing it?

He wants his collection to end up in a museum. All artifacts are legitimate in museums, that's what museums are for, to display historical items of all kinds

Except if they are stolen or looted...

Museums exist to tell us history, yes.  Many Museums choose to do that with items that are ill gotten.   Swastikas are a symbol from the past.  Their presence unfortunately inspires some people to commit more atrocities.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #7 - Apr 5th, 2021 at 2:32pm

Bias_2012 wrote on Apr 5th, 2021 at 1:26pm:

You had a go at Pauline Hanson when she went before the cameras and said: "Ban the Swastika in Australia"

Do you have a list in your basement of people who are allowed to say that, and another list who are not allowed to say it?

I have no "list".  I believe people say things for various reasons, including political ones and sometimes even for foolish ones.  Which one does Pauline fall into?  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Apr 5th, 2021 at 4:55pm

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Apr 5th, 2021 at 5:27pm

Brian Ross wrote on Apr 5th, 2021 at 2:31pm:
Except if they are stolen or looted...

It didn't say anywhere in the story they were stolen or looted

Brian Ross wrote on Apr 5th, 2021 at 2:31pm:
Swastikas are a symbol from the past.  Their presence unfortunately inspires some people to commit more atrocities.

BLM would be worse, just lately they half burned down a city, and cared nothing for peoples livelyhoods

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Apr 5th, 2021 at 5:33pm

Brian Ross wrote on Apr 5th, 2021 at 2:32pm:
Bias_2012 wrote on Apr 5th, 2021 at 1:26pm:

I have no "list".  I believe people say things for various reasons, including political ones and sometimes even for foolish ones.  Which one does Pauline fall into?  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Yeah like you saying things for political reasons, even ideological and foolish reasons

BTW Pauline Hanson is in Parliament, and you're not - she's not as foolish or as incompetent as you

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Re: ANZAC
Reply #11 - Apr 9th, 2021 at 1:04pm

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #12 - Apr 12th, 2021 at 6:55pm

Brian Ross wrote on Apr 9th, 2021 at 1:04pm:

Why?  Wasn't the blood shed for them enough?  My grandfather was wounded twice and stayed on to the end as a runner despite being classified 'medically unfit for full service' in 1917.

Are they acknowledging, at the same time, what Whartey has done for them?

It's the water in WA, I tellz yez...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #13 - Apr 12th, 2021 at 8:03pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Apr 12th, 2021 at 6:55pm:

Why?  Wasn't the blood shed for them enough?  My grandfather was wounded twice and stayed on to the end as a runner despite being classified 'medically unfit for full service' in 1917.

You appear to forget, they laid their lives down for nation that refused to acknowledge them as citizens or their previous ownership of the land.  Don't you think they might be owed a debt of gratitude?  Any at all?  Oh, dearie, dearie, me.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Apr 12th, 2021 at 9:49pm

Brian Ross wrote on Apr 12th, 2021 at 8:03pm:
Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Apr 12th, 2021 at 6:55pm:

You appear to forget, they laid their lives down for nation that refused to acknowledge them as citizens or their previous ownership of the land.  Don't you think they might be owed a debt of gratitude?  Any at all?  Oh, dearie, dearie, me.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Welcome to country is not about a debt of gratitude. It's  a recent invention of meaningless, empty gesticulation.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print