Send Topic Print
Panic Buying (Read 3422 times)
issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Panic Buying
Mar 31st, 2021 at 7:06am

The Qld Government announces a 3 day lockdown which will probably be extended. This sparks panic-buying at the supermarkets. There has never been a shortage of toilet paper in living memory, yet a large number of people seem to think it has finally come to pass. Can you imagine how these people would react in a wider more, deadly crisis, a war for example?

Perhaps there is a panic buyer on the forum who would like to share their thoughts?

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Re: Panic Buying
Reply #1 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 7:30am

i cant remember who it was but in the last tp frenzy there was someone here bragging about having a years worth stashed away. Was prolly a valkie gordon aqua or cods type that dont care about anyone else.

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 8:20am

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Mar 31st, 2021 at 7:30am:
i cant remember who it was but in the last tp frenzy there was someone here bragging about having a years worth stashed away. Was prolly a valkie gordon aqua or cods type that dont care about anyone else.

Spot

so rude..

I have never horded anything in my life....how dare you make an insinuate like that! unless you have proof of me claiming such a thing I would like you to withdraw that extra nasty comment.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #3 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 8:27am

Spot

I agree with Cods. There is no call for unsubstantiated accusations. Not a sign of empathy or intelligence. Rather like all the forum accusations of homosexuality.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 8:30am

Spot

Hey Shyte Stain I mentioned(not bragging) that I didn't have to buy toilet paper during original lockdowns because I have been buying toilet paper in bulk(1 or 2 boxes) through wholesalers for years. So had plenty to see me through & I also gave some to my childrens families.

I never participated in any of the panic buying then or now.

Does that satisfy your sanctimonious curiosity?

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 8:32am

issuevoter wrote on Mar 31st, 2021 at 8:27am:

Spot

I agree with Cods. There is no call for unsubstantiated accusations. Not a sign of empathy or intelligence. Rather like all the forum accusations of homosexuality.

thank you issue  its time this was stamped out unless they produce the evidence .. I am glad to see someone else is over these constant accusations....about people they have no idea about..just comments on a forum .. Angry Angry

I would like to know what gives spot the idea I do not care about anyone else???????????????

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 9:48am

issuevoter wrote on Mar 31st, 2021 at 7:06am:
The Qld Government announces a 3 day lockdown which will probably be extended. This sparks panic-buying at the supermarkets. There has never been a shortage of toilet paper in living memory, yet a large number of people seem to think it has finally come to pass. Can you imagine how these people would react in a wider more, deadly crisis, a war for example?

Perhaps there is a panic buyer on the forum who would like to share their thoughts?

I still don't get the panic buying phenomenon.

What the hell is wrong with these people?

Whenever there's a lockdown, Coles & Woolies remain open and everybody is free to go shopping as normal.

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #7 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 9:48am

greggerypeccary wrote on Mar 31st, 2021 at 9:48am:

Whenever there's a lockdown, Coles & Woolies remain open and everybody is free to go shopping as normal.

I think its easy to explain.

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 9:49am

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Mar 31st, 2021 at 9:48am:
greggerypeccary wrote on Mar 31st, 2021 at 9:48am:

I think its easy to explain.

Please do.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #9 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 9:51am

Humans are essentially illogical selfish beings.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 9:52am

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Mar 31st, 2021 at 9:51am:
Humans are essentially illogical selfish beings.

Can't argue with that.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #11 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 12:24pm

Gnads wrote on Mar 31st, 2021 at 8:30am:

Spot

Hey Shyte Stain I mentioned(not bragging) that I didn't have to buy toilet paper during original lockdowns because I have been buying toilet paper in bulk(1 or 2 boxes) through wholesalers for years. So had plenty to see me through & I also gave some to my childrens families.

Did i say it was you? Seems a bit of protesting too much going on . . . .

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #12 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 12:25pm

cods wrote on Mar 31st, 2021 at 8:20am:

Spot

so rude..

I have never horded anything in my life....how dare you make an insinuate like that! unless you have proof of me claiming such a thing I would like you to withdraw that extra nasty comment.

I didnt say you hoarded - i said you didnt care about anyone else.

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #13 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 12:31pm

I have a lot of it stored, but that was because my folks buy in bulk from Costco and just dumped it on me.

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #14 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 12:42pm

My theory is that it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy
People think there will be shortages so they panic buy and that causes shortages

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

Sophia
Gold Member

Reply #15 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 1:11pm

The Qld Government announces a 3 day lockdown which will probably be extended. This sparks panic-buying at the supermarkets. There has never been a shortage of toilet paper in living memory, yet a large number of people seem to think it has finally come to pass. Can you imagine how these people would react in a wider more, deadly crisis, a war for example

Exactly that... we are seeing mini psychological episodes of apocalyptic hints of behaviour.

We live in such abundant times, for a long period of time now...and many can’t handle being without, and many won’t be able to find alternate ways to survive or able to adapt, without something or rather.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #16 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 1:16pm

Sophia wrote on Mar 31st, 2021 at 1:11pm:
The Qld Government announces a 3 day lockdown which will probably be extended. This sparks panic-buying at the supermarkets. There has never been a shortage of toilet paper in living memory, yet a large number of people seem to think it has finally come to pass. Can you imagine how these people would react in a wider more, deadly crisis, a war for example

Exactly that... we are seeing mini psychological episodes of apocalyptic hints of behaviour.

We live in such abundant times, for a long period of time now...and many can’t handle being without, and many won’t be able to find alternate ways to survive or able to adapt, without something or rather.

Indeed, we're also seeing many people walk away from a potential solution to the apocalypse out of irrational fear.

IP Logged

Sophia
Gold Member

Reply #17 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 2:24pm

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Mar 31st, 2021 at 1:16pm:

Indeed, we're also seeing many people walk away from a potential solution to the apocalypse out of irrational fear.

And my biggest fear are these irrational people!
It’s each person to themselves mentality.
I would rather do without than be anywhere near them!

There’s only one way to survive war or apocalypse or hard times... as a community helping each other, looking out for each other, sharing goods and skills. Everyone to contribute if wanting to be part of a survivable community.
It won’t happen overnight.... but it will eventually.

No doubt too many won’t cope and will self exit their lives.
This is what happened last year during our long term lockdown, where we were basically all safe, with plenty food shopping, Netflix. Phone vid calls etc.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #18 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 2:25pm

All those who are afraid of the vaccination, leaving themselves and their families, workplaces etc more vulnerable.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #19 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 2:30pm

Sophia wrote on Mar 31st, 2021 at 2:24pm:

That point cleared your head by a few metres I suspect

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #20 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 2:49pm

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Mar 31st, 2021 at 2:30pm:

Pastafarian,
why did you change your name?

IP Logged

Sophia
Gold Member

Reply #21 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 2:51pm

A few metres is still too crowded. Wink
But then again, I live in the sticks, used to space around me.
That’s the make up of country folk.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #22 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 2:53pm

Of course not everyone is panic-buying. It doesn't take too many to empty the paper-goods isle, but these people must have some form of deduction like . . . 3 day lockdown, that will probably be 2 weeks, let's see that will mean X number of toilet rolls???? Wrinkled brow. What the hell, I'll just stuff the trolley with as much as I can. They probably don't think too deeply about anything  - maybe the job, footy scores, lotto numbers, car payments, action movies. One day, they are going to be dumped out of the workforce and suddenly realise they should have taken a deeper interest in life.
« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2021 at 2:58pm by issuevoter »  

IP Logged

Sophia
Gold Member

Reply #23 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 2:53pm

Water is something people should learn how to collect and save. Not toilet paper.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #24 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 3:19pm

Sophia wrote on Mar 31st, 2021 at 2:53pm:
Water is something people should learn how to collect and save. Not toilet paper.

I buy up to two packs of 24 x 600 mL bottles of water during my grocery shop. The water coming out of the tap is too dirty or chemical to drink. A few months ago, I wanted to use the tap water and double filter the water in my filter jugs before drinking. However, after drinking double filtered water, even that was not enough. So, I had to flush the filter jugs with already filtered water.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #25 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 3:26pm

Water is too chemical to drink? Water is a chemical to drink.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #26 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 3:39pm

The_Barnacle wrote on Mar 31st, 2021 at 12:42pm:
People think there will be shortages so they panic buy and that causes shortages

During cyclones, we had a situation where Rockhampton would be cut off from the north, south and west. The flooding, which we seem to have missed this year, would lead people having to buy up whatever is left. If people can't get to work before the flooding hits, they will likely have trouble getting supplies or have no other choice but to get supplies. And if the supplies are not getting through, the groceries are not going to last long on the shelves.

Last year, the covid-free region of CQ saw shelves one-third empty. Some shelves were very empty. I had not seen shelves any more bare of goods since the 1991 flood when we had no supplies trucked in for about a week.

There is a lot of trust issues when people panic buy. I bought an 8-pack of toilet paper rolls for myself (living by myself) to use over a number of months. It takes me about 5 weeks to get through a toilet roll. Only March last year, after the panic buy did I buy my previous 8-pack of toilet rolls. Back when I was living with my parents... 20 years ago, we had a family of 5 go through a roll of toilet paper per week. So, unless there is a family of 8 with bowel problems needing to go more than twice a day, I see no reason why anyone has to buy more than 48 rolls of toilet paper per fortnight.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #27 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 3:46pm

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Mar 31st, 2021 at 3:26pm:

What I meant was that there are too many chemicals in water (of the last few weeks) to safely drink. Four years, I tried flushing the hot water system with steradent tablets. Such the brainiac that I was. That ended up mixing with the mains water and making the cold water tap undrinkable to a certain point. And the hot water tap showers that I was taking for a month was like showering with pool water. It took about 3 months before the water was diluted enough for me not to notice any issues. Although I might have caused some rusting in the pipes.

A couple weeks ago, Rockhampton Water announced that they were increasing the chlorine in the water and that might make a flow-on effect on the drinking water. So, until I can trust the water coming out of the taps again, I have to stick with bottled water for consumption.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #28 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 4:21pm

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Mar 31st, 2021 at 12:25pm:
cods wrote on Mar 31st, 2021 at 8:20am:

Spot

so rude..

I didnt say you hoarded - i said you didnt care about anyone else.

Spot

THAT IS THE BIGGEST LIE YOU HAVE EVER PRODUCED

you would be the last person on here to point fingers at others.....

I guess this is the best a little person like you has got!

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #29 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 4:22pm

doesnt water go bad or sour ??? at least I have always thought it did unless its running...

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #30 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 4:25pm

Can have water in a rainwater tank.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #31 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 4:39pm

Jovial Monk wrote on Mar 31st, 2021 at 4:25pm:
Can have water in a rainwater tank.

for how long?......forever?..

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #32 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 4:48pm

A fairly long time anyway—months.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #33 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 4:50pm

Tank water is great for watering the garden but I wouldn't drink the stuff.  Yuck!

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #34 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 5:05pm

my personal feeling is that its highly likely that a foreign power/hacker will close down the electricity grid in the near future.

no food.
no petrol
no internet
no hot and cold running water
no sewage system.

i think the cities will descend into chaos quite quickly, with no refrigeration and no electric lighting at night.

makes me glad i'm rural and self sufficient

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #35 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 5:53pm

Neferti wrote on Mar 31st, 2021 at 4:50pm:
Tank water is great for watering the garden but I wouldn't drink the stuff.  Yuck!

A property that I stayed for a wedding had a rainwater tank for their drinking and showering needs. I showered for about 5 minutes preparing for the wedding reception. I got out and dressed and went out waiting for the others. The property owner criticised me for taking so long showering. The rule is to get into the shower; turn the water on for 30 seconds; water off and out.

Here I am at home having showers for up to 10 minutes, 3 times today. Property owners do drink their tank water. It is not bad.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #36 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 5:56pm

aquascoot wrote on Mar 31st, 2021 at 5:05pm:
my personal feeling is that its highly likely that a foreign power/hacker will close down the electricity grid in the near future.

It would have to be an inside job. If you wanted to hack into the computer systems of Australian utilities, it would take someone leaving a security breach in the network. And then you would have to get through all sorts of systems undetected and make sure that the system could not be repaired or replaced within hours.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #37 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 5:59pm

I've been saying that for years.

It's not a matter of if - but a matter of when.

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #38 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 6:43pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Mar 31st, 2021 at 5:56pm:

It would have to be an inside job. If you wanted to hack into the computer systems of Australian utilities, it would take someone leaving a security breach in the network. And then you would have to get through all sorts of systems undetected and make sure that the system could not be repaired or replaced within hours.

probably not.

i listened to a good podcast with mike baker (ex cia) and joe rogan and he said the cia were fairly sure both the russians and the chinese would have that capability.

not just to shut it down but to shut it down for a good period of time (weeks).

he also said the USA would have the capability to do the same to them  Wink

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #39 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 6:57pm

If the foreign power was willing enough to shut down an electricity grid, temporarily or for weeks, they could probably have a number of strategies at their disposal to shut down an electricity grid. But even if foreign powers did employ those strategies, I doubt very much that a supercomputer with pre-arranged programming could do a great deal of damage to the networks of a utilities system that would lead to much more than hours of power shut downs. Computer analysts would be called in to do their job of diagnosing the problem. Then they would input their solutions to the problem and the power would be up and ready again.

And are you talking about multiple electricity grids or some place specific? Because if you target one electricity grid, you will have blackouts in one area, brownouts in another, and the rest of the country with power. Plus, what would be the point? Just to cause disruption? Obviously, there would have to be little strategic international priority the perpetrating country would have with Australia, or a region of Australia.

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #40 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 7:00pm

hopefully you are right unsub

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #41 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 8:38pm

aquascoot wrote on Mar 31st, 2021 at 7:00pm:
hopefully you are right unsub

It all comes down to a matter of necessity and ability... for a lot of different topics here.

IP Logged

Sophia
Gold Member

Reply #42 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 9:24pm

cods wrote on Mar 31st, 2021 at 4:22pm:

doesnt water go bad or sour ??? at least I have always thought it did unless its running...

Running out of your tap?

You know where that water comes from?
A big dam/catchment area where it’s like a still lake out in the open air,  volume percentage depends on climate (rain or drought conditions).
And... you would be surprised what dead animals are cleared away from time to time from the outgoing grids, yes that same water that goes to your tap water.

I’ve been on tank water all my life, it’s a concrete water tank in the ground... catchment from rain on our roof.
Gutters are cleaned regularly.
The water is beautiful, cool and clear.
We’ve have visitors over the years that love it.
We have a pump that has a standby generator when we have power outage. Last power blackout lasted 3 days.
Kept our water pump going, fridge running, some lights and TV with 2 generators.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #43 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 7:21am

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Mar 31st, 2021 at 12:24pm:

Spot

Spot

Well if you can't say who you should STHU.

I don't recall anyone bragging that they had a years supply stashed .... but at the time that's what I had - 3 boxes/bundles x 48 rolls .... which was my last staff discount purchase I made before I retired & months before the Covid19 started.

I went to do some Easter Eggs buying for grandkids yesterday & there was not one roll of toilet paper on the shelves - I'm 3 hrs north of Brisbane.

The idiots doing this is one thing but the Supermarkets are also to blame allowing people to present to the checkout with more than one large pack.

If the people have heard the news that drives this then so has the supermarkets.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #44 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 7:31am

Gnads wrote on Apr 1st, 2021 at 7:21am:

Spot

Spot

I don't recall anyone bragging that they had a years supply stashed .... but at the time that's what I had - 3 boxes/bundles x 48 rolls .... which was my last staff discount purchase I made before I retired & months before the Covid19 started.

I went to do some Easter Eggs buying for grandkids yesterday & there was not one roll of toilet paper on the shelves - I'm 3 hrs north of Brisbane.

The idiots doing this is one thing but the Supermarkets are also to blame allowing people to present to the checkout with more than one large pack.

If the people have heard the news that drives this then so has the supermarkets.

That really triggered you huh. Well I said i didnt know who it was!

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #45 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 7:33am

Being a suggestive clever dick are we?

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #46 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 7:36am

No doubt about it .... a real clever dick.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #47 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 7:44am

UnSubRocky wrote on Mar 31st, 2021 at 3:39pm:

During cyclones, we had a situation where Rockhampton would be cut off from the north, south and west. The flooding, which we seem to have missed this year, would lead people having to buy up whatever is left. If people can't get to work before the flooding hits, they will likely have trouble getting supplies or have no other choice but to get supplies. And if the supplies are not getting through, the groceries are not going to last long on the shelves.

Last year, the covid-free region of CQ saw shelves one-third empty. Some shelves were very empty. I had not seen shelves any more bare of goods since the 1991 flood when we had no supplies trucked in for about a week.

There is a lot of trust issues when people panic buy. I bought an 8-pack of toilet paper rolls for myself (living by myself) to use over a number of months. It takes me about 5 weeks to get through a toilet roll. Only March last year, after the panic buy did I buy my previous 8-pack of toilet rolls. Back when I was living with my parents... 20 years ago, we had a family of 5 go through a roll of toilet paper per week. So, unless there is a family of 8 with bowel problems needing to go more than twice a day, I see no reason why anyone has to buy more than 48 rolls of toilet paper per fortnight.

What one toilet roll lasts you alone 5 weeks?  Grin

Do you use only one sheet per shyte?

Toilet rolls now have as few as 160 to 180 sheets whereas some years back a standard roll had 400 sheets.

I'd suggest that you often take a dump at other locations like work, supermarkets or public toilets.

Old One Shyte One Sheet Sub ..... bet the skid marks in ya jocks are like a hoons street corner?  Grin

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #48 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 7:48am

cods wrote on Mar 31st, 2021 at 4:22pm:

As long as it's screened to prevent contamination tank water stays drinkable for a very long time.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #49 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 7:51am

Why? Some people in cities with town water install small tanks for their drinking water - & drink nothing else.

If you live in one of those cities that fluoridates the public supply then I'd suggest tank water was far safer to drink.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #50 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 7:52am

no food.
no petrol
no internet
no sewage system.

i think the cities will descend into chaos quite quickly, with no refrigeration and no electric lighting at night.

And they'll come out to rural areas looking to plunder your self sufficiency.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #51 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 7:57am

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Apr 1st, 2021 at 7:31am:
Gnads wrote on Apr 1st, 2021 at 7:21am:

Spot

Spot

That really triggered you huh. Well I said i didnt know who it was!

Spot

Triggered ey? Pity you don't have anything decent to add. As usual.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #52 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 8:10am

Gnads wrote on Apr 1st, 2021 at 7:44am:
UnSubRocky wrote on Mar 31st, 2021 at 3:39pm:

Toilet rolls now have as few as 160 to 180 sheets whereas some years back a standard roll had 400 sheets.

I'd suggest that you often take a dump at other locations like work, supermarkets or public toilets.

Old One Shyte One Sheet Sub ..... bet the skid marks in ya jocks are like a hoons street corner?  Grin

Unsub uses both sides of the paper!

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Reply #53 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 8:18am

Gnads wrote on Apr 1st, 2021 at 7:52am:

no food.
no petrol
no internet
no sewage system.

And they'll come out to rural areas looking to plunder your self sufficiency.

Yep.

Watch out, aqua - they're coming for you. Shocked

"Masks are sand in the gears of the economy" - some f-wit pollie or big business CEO.

IP Logged

Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Reply #54 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 8:28am

no food.
no petrol
no internet
no sewage system.

Actually, that would probably be the main thing to cause chaos from what I've seen when Telstra, Optus or one of the other telcos have a "minor outage" and most of the population almost go insane when they can't use TwitFace even for a few hours.

"Masks are sand in the gears of the economy" - some f-wit pollie or big business CEO.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #55 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 8:58am

Gnads wrote on Apr 1st, 2021 at 7:36am:

You have to be clever to be a clever dick, so happy to take that compliment from just a dick

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #56 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 10:46am

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Apr 1st, 2021 at 8:58am:

You have to be clever to be a clever dick, so happy to take that compliment from just a dick

No 2nd prizes

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #57 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 10:49am

Gnads wrote on Apr 1st, 2021 at 10:46am:
Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Apr 1st, 2021 at 8:58am:

No 2nd prizes

Quite Wink

IP Logged

Belgarion
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #58 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 10:59am

Gnads wrote on Apr 1st, 2021 at 7:51am:

Why? Some people in cities with town water install small tanks for their drinking water - & drink nothing else.

If you live in one of those cities that fluoridates the public supply then I'd suggest tank water was far safer to drink.

I have been drinking tank water for almost  6 years now ( I have no town water) and it is much cleaner and tastes better than mains water. One thing we noticed on first moving here was that things washed in  the dishwasher came out much cleaner and shinier than they had in the city. Also, my home brewed beer tastes better. Smiley

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Voltaire.....(possibly)

IP Logged

Sophia
Gold Member

Reply #59 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 12:17pm

Belgarion wrote on Apr 1st, 2021 at 10:59am:

I have been drinking tank water for almost  6 years now ( I have no town water) and it is much cleaner and tastes better than mains water. One thing we noticed on first moving here was that things washed in  the dishwasher came out much cleaner and shinier than they had in the city. Also, my home brewed beer tastes better. Smiley

Coffee, tea, cordial with water, soups, boiled veges etc all taste better too.
Also, because rain water is softer, washing clothes come out softer and no need for laundry softener. And I don’t need to use any rinse aid in the dishwasher either. So less chemicals all round are needed.
And...wait there’s more...
My hair is naturally curly, washing with rain water makes my hair soft and manageable.
When I go interstate and wash with town (fluoridated) water, my hair frizzes up! And it becomes harder to manage. Any wonder hair care products like strong conditioners, hair masks, split end and defrizzers make a fortune!
So I need to take these hair care products with me when travelling to try and counteract this problem.

Unless one compares natural rain water with fluoridated water....
then one misses out on knowing.

IP Logged

Sophia
Gold Member

Reply #60 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 12:23pm

Oh and the spiel given about fluoridated water is for good for your teeth?
As my hubby and I have been brought up country on rain water, at our age now, never had fluoride (or avoided it as much as possible) we both have all our teeth. Just saying.

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #61 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 12:36pm

i do often have a drink from my river.

it probably has a few parasites from cow crap in it but i think you need to challenge your immune system

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #62 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 2:05pm

Sophia wrote on Apr 1st, 2021 at 12:23pm:
As my hubby and I have been brought up country on rain water, at our age now, never had fluoride (or avoided it as much as possible) we both have all our teeth. Just saying.

An adult having all their teeth can be the result of several factors, not the least is genetic, but good hygiene practices throughout childhood are super important. Working class people were famous for bad teeth up until the 1960, mainly due to poor dentistry and diet. I could include links to all the scientific justification for flouride, but it will not sway the anti-flouride, anti-vax, anti-central government types who are paranoid luddites. "just saying"

https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/conditionsandtreatments/dental-care-f...

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #63 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 2:25pm

How does the rain water get into the tank?  Wink Is the top of the tank open or does it come down through a pipe from the roof of the house or gutters?

IP Logged

Belgarion
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #64 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 4:02pm

Neferti wrote on Apr 1st, 2021 at 2:25pm:

How does the rain water get into the tank?  Wink Is the top of the tank open or does it come down through a pipe from the roof of the house or gutters?

Collected from the roof, via the gutters and a downpipe into the tank. There is a simple mesh filter on top of the tank, which is sealed off except for the downpipe opening.  There is pump to the house which operates whenever a tap is turned on.

The pickup for the pump is about 40cm above the bottom of the tank, so any sediment will sink to the bottom  and not be pumped into the house. The water is absolutely crystal clear.

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Voltaire.....(possibly)

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #65 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 5:18pm

Friend of mine was seriously ill for a while, they analysed his blood and found he was chock full of heavy metal contaminants, turned out it was in his rainwater tank. Considering what can be on your roof when the water runs off it I wouldnt touch it.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #66 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 6:19pm

I use 3 sheets of toilet paper per wipe. Normally, it is 3 sheets folded over twice. Then it is another 3 sheets, same folding for the sake of making sure. And if the end of the bowel movement seems like I have a Klingon situation, I firstly use flushable wet wipes. Then I double wipe with toilet paper. The issue of skid marks is not a problem for me as I usually shower not long after a bowel movement at home.

Six sheets per 180 sheet rolls mean that I can make the toilet roll last at least 30 days. That is assuming that I go every day once a day.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #67 - Apr 2nd, 2021 at 7:37am

issuevoter wrote on Apr 1st, 2021 at 2:05pm:

An adult having all their teeth can be the result of several factors, not the least is genetic, but good hygiene practices throughout childhood are super important. Working class people were famous for bad teeth up until the 1960, mainly due to poor dentistry and diet. I could include links to all the scientific justification for flouride, but it will not sway the anti-flouride, anti-vax, anti-central government types who are paranoid luddites. "just saying"

https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/conditionsandtreatments/dental-care-f...

One doesn't have to be a paranoid luddite to disagree with the mass medication of public water supplies with a known S6 contaminated toxic industrial waste product in the name of a public & spurious oral/dental health initiative.

There's just as much scientific evidence to prove it's one of the greatest scientific frauds ever pulled off.

I'm not an anti-vaxxer and to put anti-fluoridists in the same category is disingenuous.

Just saying. 

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #68 - Apr 2nd, 2021 at 7:38am

Neferti wrote on Apr 1st, 2021 at 2:25pm:

You need to ask? And why would that be a problem?

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #69 - Apr 2nd, 2021 at 7:43am

UnSubRocky wrote on Apr 1st, 2021 at 6:19pm:

I use 3 sheets of toilet paper per wipe. Normally, it is 3 sheets folded over twice. Then it is another 3 sheets, same folding for the sake of making sure. And if the end of the bowel movement seems like I have a Klingon situation, I firstly use flushable wet wipes. Then I double wipe with toilet paper. The issue of skid marks is not a problem for me as I usually shower not long after a bowel movement at home.

Six sheets per 180 sheet rolls mean that I can make the toilet roll last at least 30 days. That is assuming that I go every day once a day.

Do not use flushable wet wipes because

despite the claims they are flushable they are one of the biggest causes of blockages in the sewerage systems

Councils advise ratepayers not to use them because they still don't breakdown at the treatment works & cause all sorts of problems.

Much like disposable nappies at landfills.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #70 - Apr 2nd, 2021 at 11:34pm

Gnads wrote on Apr 2nd, 2021 at 7:43am:
Do not use flushable wet wipes because

despite the claims they are flushable they are one of the biggest causes of blockages in the sewerage systems

Councils advise ratepayers not to use them because they still don't breakdown at the treatment works & cause all sorts of problems.

Much like disposable nappies at landfills.

I use one flushable wet wipes per bowel movement, if I think that the toilet paper is not going to be sufficient on its own. I live alone and probably do one bowel movement per day. If one sheet of flushable wipes cannot break down in 48 hours, then perhaps we should rethink using toilet paper. Whilst I say that flushable wipes take longer to break down than toilet paper, the fact that I can easily rip the flushable wipes getting them out of the package seems to give me the idea that the wipes would still break down at (or even before) the treatment works.

It is either one flushable wipe and a towel off with toilet paper. Or I would be wiping my arse 6 times over just to make sure. Else toilet paper is sufficient.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #71 - Apr 2nd, 2021 at 11:58pm

Fat people should be taxed extra for the extra resources they consume through their own laziness. Time to get tough on the obese and make them pay their way.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #72 - Apr 3rd, 2021 at 12:08am

rhino wrote on Apr 2nd, 2021 at 11:58pm:
Fat people should be taxed extra for the extra resources they consume through their own laziness. Time to get tough on the obese and make them pay their way.

They do that in Japan. Even Sumo wrestlers post-retirement are supposed to regain a healthy weight.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #73 - Apr 3rd, 2021 at 7:53am

rhino wrote on Apr 2nd, 2021 at 11:58pm:

Perhaps we should get on the scale with our luggage at the airport, and be charged accordingly.

IP Logged

Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Reply #74 - Apr 3rd, 2021 at 5:41pm

After seeing how busy it was at Belmont Forum and our local IGA today I was wondering if we were having another Covid lockdown here in Perth that I hadn't heard about yet.

The shops were only closed for one day yesterday (Good Friday) and even then the local IGA's and petrol stations, etc. were still open.

Don't know how people today would have managed to survive during Easter decades ago when the shops would have been closed Good Friday, open for half a day Saturday (maybe) then closed again until Tuesday morning.

Would probably seem like the end of the world for most of them.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Apr 3rd, 2021 at 5:58pm by Carl D »  

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #75 - Apr 3rd, 2021 at 5:46pm

You brush your teeth?

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #76 - Apr 3rd, 2021 at 5:54pm

Brush twice a day—my dentist.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Belgarion
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #77 - Apr 3rd, 2021 at 8:55pm

Carl D wrote on Apr 3rd, 2021 at 5:41pm:
After seeing how busy it was at Belmont Forum and our local IGA today I was wondering if we were having another Covid lockdown here in Perth that I hadn't heard about yet.

The shops were only closed for one day yesterday (Good Friday) and even then the local IGA's and petrol stations, etc. were still open.

Don't know how people today would have managed to survive during Easter decades ago when the shops would have been closed Good Friday, open for half a day Saturday (maybe) then closed again until Tuesday morning.

There is no accounting for stupidity I'm afraid.

Voltaire.....(possibly)

IP Logged

Sophia
Gold Member

Reply #78 - Apr 3rd, 2021 at 10:37pm

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Apr 3rd, 2021 at 5:46pm:

You brush your teeth?

Not with toothpaste that contains fluoride.
There are alternates to choose from.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #79 - Apr 4th, 2021 at 1:06am

Carl D wrote on Apr 3rd, 2021 at 5:41pm:

I think I remember those days as a child. Finish up the term for school the Thursday before Good Friday. Have 2 weeks off and then go back the Monday. Parents sneak in the chocolate eggs into the torn-up newspaper-filled baskets we kids build the day beforehand. And then we would feast on chocolate over the next few days.

But nothing was open for those 4 days. Much like those Christmases where they end up on the weekend. Christmas and Boxing Day holiday on Monday and Tuesday. Everything closed for 4 days and no more to do other than stay home and be antisocial.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #80 - Apr 4th, 2021 at 1:14am

Oh great. Four-day weekend for this Christmas. As it was also for last year's.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print