Panic Buying (Read 3363 times)
Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Re: Panic Buying
Reply #30 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 4:25pm

Can have water in a rainwater tank.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #31 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 4:39pm

Jovial Monk wrote on Mar 31st, 2021 at 4:25pm:
Can have water in a rainwater tank.

for how long?......forever?..

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #32 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 4:48pm

A fairly long time anyway—months.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #33 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 4:50pm

Tank water is great for watering the garden but I wouldn't drink the stuff.  Yuck!

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #34 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 5:05pm

my personal feeling is that its highly likely that a foreign power/hacker will close down the electricity grid in the near future.

no food.
no petrol
no internet
no hot and cold running water
no sewage system.

i think the cities will descend into chaos quite quickly, with no refrigeration and no electric lighting at night.

makes me glad i'm rural and self sufficient

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #35 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 5:53pm

Neferti wrote on Mar 31st, 2021 at 4:50pm:
Tank water is great for watering the garden but I wouldn't drink the stuff.  Yuck!

A property that I stayed for a wedding had a rainwater tank for their drinking and showering needs. I showered for about 5 minutes preparing for the wedding reception. I got out and dressed and went out waiting for the others. The property owner criticised me for taking so long showering. The rule is to get into the shower; turn the water on for 30 seconds; water off and out.

Here I am at home having showers for up to 10 minutes, 3 times today. Property owners do drink their tank water. It is not bad.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #36 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 5:56pm

aquascoot wrote on Mar 31st, 2021 at 5:05pm:
my personal feeling is that its highly likely that a foreign power/hacker will close down the electricity grid in the near future.

It would have to be an inside job. If you wanted to hack into the computer systems of Australian utilities, it would take someone leaving a security breach in the network. And then you would have to get through all sorts of systems undetected and make sure that the system could not be repaired or replaced within hours.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #37 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 5:59pm

I've been saying that for years.

It's not a matter of if - but a matter of when.

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #38 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 6:43pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Mar 31st, 2021 at 5:56pm:

It would have to be an inside job. If you wanted to hack into the computer systems of Australian utilities, it would take someone leaving a security breach in the network. And then you would have to get through all sorts of systems undetected and make sure that the system could not be repaired or replaced within hours.

probably not.

i listened to a good podcast with mike baker (ex cia) and joe rogan and he said the cia were fairly sure both the russians and the chinese would have that capability.

not just to shut it down but to shut it down for a good period of time (weeks).

he also said the USA would have the capability to do the same to them  Wink

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #39 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 6:57pm

If the foreign power was willing enough to shut down an electricity grid, temporarily or for weeks, they could probably have a number of strategies at their disposal to shut down an electricity grid. But even if foreign powers did employ those strategies, I doubt very much that a supercomputer with pre-arranged programming could do a great deal of damage to the networks of a utilities system that would lead to much more than hours of power shut downs. Computer analysts would be called in to do their job of diagnosing the problem. Then they would input their solutions to the problem and the power would be up and ready again.

And are you talking about multiple electricity grids or some place specific? Because if you target one electricity grid, you will have blackouts in one area, brownouts in another, and the rest of the country with power. Plus, what would be the point? Just to cause disruption? Obviously, there would have to be little strategic international priority the perpetrating country would have with Australia, or a region of Australia.

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #40 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 7:00pm

hopefully you are right unsub

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #41 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 8:38pm

aquascoot wrote on Mar 31st, 2021 at 7:00pm:
hopefully you are right unsub

It all comes down to a matter of necessity and ability... for a lot of different topics here.

IP Logged

Sophia
Gold Member

Reply #42 - Mar 31st, 2021 at 9:24pm

cods wrote on Mar 31st, 2021 at 4:22pm:
Sophia wrote on Mar 31st, 2021 at 2:53pm:
Water is something people should learn how to collect and save. Not toilet paper.

doesnt water go bad or sour ??? at least I have always thought it did unless its running...

Running out of your tap?

You know where that water comes from?
A big dam/catchment area where it’s like a still lake out in the open air,  volume percentage depends on climate (rain or drought conditions).
And... you would be surprised what dead animals are cleared away from time to time from the outgoing grids, yes that same water that goes to your tap water.

I’ve been on tank water all my life, it’s a concrete water tank in the ground... catchment from rain on our roof.
Gutters are cleaned regularly.
The water is beautiful, cool and clear.
We’ve have visitors over the years that love it.
We have a pump that has a standby generator when we have power outage. Last power blackout lasted 3 days.
Kept our water pump going, fridge running, some lights and TV with 2 generators.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #43 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 7:21am

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Mar 31st, 2021 at 12:24pm:
Gnads wrote on Mar 31st, 2021 at 8:30am:
Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Mar 31st, 2021 at 7:30am:
i cant remember who it was but in the last tp frenzy there was someone here bragging about having a years worth stashed away. Was prolly a valkie gordon aqua or cods type that dont care about anyone else.

Spot

Hey Shyte Stain I mentioned(not bragging) that I didn't have to buy toilet paper during original lockdowns because I have been buying toilet paper in bulk(1 or 2 boxes) through wholesalers for years. So had plenty to see me through & I also gave some to my childrens families.

I never participated in any of the panic buying then or now.

Does that satisfy your sanctimonious curiosity?

Did i say it was you? Seems a bit of protesting too much going on . . . .

Spot

Well if you can't say who you should STHU.

I don't recall anyone bragging that they had a years supply stashed .... but at the time that's what I had - 3 boxes/bundles x 48 rolls .... which was my last staff discount purchase I made before I retired & months before the Covid19 started.

I went to do some Easter Eggs buying for grandkids yesterday & there was not one roll of toilet paper on the shelves - I'm 3 hrs north of Brisbane.

The idiots doing this is one thing but the Supermarkets are also to blame allowing people to present to the checkout with more than one large pack.

If the people have heard the news that drives this then so has the supermarkets.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #44 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 7:31am

Gnads wrote on Apr 1st, 2021 at 7:21am:
Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Mar 31st, 2021 at 12:24pm:
Gnads wrote on Mar 31st, 2021 at 8:30am:
Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Mar 31st, 2021 at 7:30am:
i cant remember who it was but in the last tp frenzy there was someone here bragging about having a years worth stashed away. Was prolly a valkie gordon aqua or cods type that dont care about anyone else.

Spot

Hey Shyte Stain I mentioned(not bragging) that I didn't have to buy toilet paper during original lockdowns because I have been buying toilet paper in bulk(1 or 2 boxes) through wholesalers for years. So had plenty to see me through & I also gave some to my childrens families.

I never participated in any of the panic buying then or now.

Does that satisfy your sanctimonious curiosity?

Did i say it was you? Seems a bit of protesting too much going on . . . .

Spot

Well if you can't say who you should STHU.

I don't recall anyone bragging that they had a years supply stashed .... but at the time that's what I had - 3 boxes/bundles x 48 rolls .... which was my last staff discount purchase I made before I retired & months before the Covid19 started.

I went to do some Easter Eggs buying for grandkids yesterday & there was not one roll of toilet paper on the shelves - I'm 3 hrs north of Brisbane.

The idiots doing this is one thing but the Supermarkets are also to blame allowing people to present to the checkout with more than one large pack.

If the people have heard the news that drives this then so has the supermarkets.

That really triggered you huh. Well I said i didnt know who it was!

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print