cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: THE TRIAL
Reply #120 - Apr 9th, 2021 at 6:16pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Apr 8th, 2021 at 11:57am:
Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Apr 8th, 2021 at 11:51am:
Mr Hammer wrote on Apr 8th, 2021 at 11:47am:
Is a contributing factor able to bring the sentence down? What number is long enough to prevent more riots?

I wouldnt have thought so to the first question. Because the crime is about the intent. And as for the second who can say? I would think non-guilty probably leads to riots, and any reduction in sentence below the minimum for that crime may also lead to riots.

The impression of the defence from FOX is that Chauvin has to be prosecuted and not police detainment procedure. He has to be punished as a rogue and not a representative of the force.

the I would suggest they are losing the case..

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/world/derek-chauvin-trial-asphyxiation-li...

A doctor has testified that George Floyd’s final moments of his life can be seen in a video taken by a bystander during the incident where he died after former Minneapolis policeman Derek Chauvin knelt on his neck for more than nine minutes.

On day nine of Chauvin’s trial, Dr Martin Tobin, a pulmonary expert, reviewed the video in court in front of jurors.

“At the beginning you can see he’s conscious. You can see slight flickering. And then it disappears,” Dr Tobin said.

“So one second he’s alive and one second he’s no longer,” Dr Tobin said.

“You can see his eyes, he’s conscious, and then you see that he isn’t. That’s the moment the life goes out of his body,” Dr Tobin stated.

Floyd, he said, struggled and tried to breathe as officers restrained him.

Dr Tobin testified that the lack of enough oxygen caused damage to Floyd’s brain and ultimately made his heart stop.

He told the court that Floyd died as a result of a “low level of oxygen” caused by shallow breathing that was the result of the three officers restraining him.

He also testified that the video showed Floyd “moving his hip to try and rock the right side of his body to try and get air”.

l

“You can see him again pushing down on the street to get air in. And there is movements of his hip,” Dr Tobin said.

“You may miss, but he’s having to use all his internal spine to just try and get air into that right side of the body.”

Prosecutors explained to Dr Tobin that the jurors may have heard one of the officers say, “if you could speak, you can breathe” during the trial. They asked Dr Tobin if that is a true statement.

“It is a true statement, but it gives you an enormous false sense of security,” he said.

Certainly, at the moment that you are speaking, you are breathing. But it doesn’t tell you that you’re going to be breathing five seconds later.”

Earlier, a police use-of-force expert has testified in the trial of Derek Chauvin that the former Minneapolis policeman used “deadly force” on George Floyd at a time when it was not appropriate to use any force.

Los Angeles Police Seargent Jody Stiger, a police witness for the prosecution, said that “no force should have been used” on Floyd when he was pinned to the ground by Chauvin last May.

When asked by prosecutors for his opinion on how much force was reasonable for Chauvin to use on Floyd after Floyd was handcuffed, placed in the prone position and not resisting.

“My opinion is that no force should have been used once he was in that position,” Sgt Stiger said.

Sgt Stiger said Chauvin had put Floyd at risk of positional asphyxia, a key point of the prosecution’s defence, meaning Floyd died from a loss of oxygen.

Sgt Stiger said that even being handcuffed and in a prone position can make it difficult to breathe.

“When you add body weight to that, it just increases the possibility of death,” he said.

Sgt Stiger also said that Chauvin did not follow pain guidelines with Floyd when the officer was on top of him, saying Chauvin did not ease up on the pressure applied to the 46-year-old man.

“At that point, it’s just pain,” he told the court.

Sgt Stiger’s testimony came after Chauvin’s defence team said that Floyd’s please of “I can’t breathe” constituted resisting arrest.

The testimony from Sgt Stiger came on the eighth day of the trial of Chauvin, who has been charged with murdering Floyd.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #121 - Apr 9th, 2021 at 6:27pm

cods wrote on Apr 9th, 2021 at 6:16pm:

“My opinion is that no force should have been used once he was in that position,” Sgt Stiger said.

Sgt Stiger said Chauvin had put Floyd at risk of positional asphyxia, a key point of the prosecution’s defence, meaning Floyd died from a loss of oxygen.

Sgt Stiger said that even being handcuffed and in a prone position can make it difficult to breathe.

“When you add body weight to that, it just increases the possibility of death,” he said.

Sgt Stiger also said that Chauvin did not follow pain guidelines with Floyd when the officer was on top of him, saying Chauvin did not ease up on the pressure applied to the 46-year-old man.

“At that point, it’s just pain,” he told the court.

]Sgt Stiger’s testimony came after Chauvin’s defence team said that Floyd’s please of “I can’t breathe” constituted resisting arrest. 
The testimony from Sgt Stiger came on the eighth day of the trial of Chauvin, who has been charged with murdering Floyd.

pretty much what ive been saying all along

IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #122 - Apr 9th, 2021 at 6:32pm

rhino wrote on Apr 7th, 2021 at 11:44pm:
philperth2010 wrote on Apr 7th, 2021 at 11:24pm:
rhino wrote on Apr 7th, 2021 at 7:56pm:
philperth2010 wrote on Apr 7th, 2021 at 7:44pm:
rhino wrote on Apr 7th, 2021 at 7:11pm:
cods wrote on Apr 7th, 2021 at 6:41pm:
rhino wrote on Apr 7th, 2021 at 12:39pm:
cods wrote on Apr 2nd, 2021 at 6:39am:
philperth2010 wrote on Apr 1st, 2021 at 4:58pm:
n America the police get shot on a regular basis....The cops in Yank land are taught not to take any chances with volatile suspects (anyone really)....I suspect he will get off or manslaughter at most!

even when the alleged crim is handcufffed face down in the bitumen surrounded by 4 cops...

it appears to me, they the cops have very few restrictions  Angry  for the life of me  I cannot imagine any Police training to involve neck kneeing for 9 min +
they are actually trained not to do that.

yes I read where some police chief said that?...its disgusting his legal is claiming  he was trained like that
im  not saying American cops are  trained not to restrain people in that specific manner, the point Im making as with all law enforcement officers is that he was trained in positional asphyxiation, he knew he was cutting off airflow and the guy was lying on his front with his hands behind his back. This is specifically covered in positional asphyxiation training, that is exactly the example they give when they are talking about these dangers. Chauvin knew he was suffocating him and kept his knee there even though  restraint was no longer necassary. He murdered him.

How do you know what Chauvin knew or was thinking....Whilst I believe his actions were excessive and unnecessary as a veteran police officer he has arrested thousands of suspects without killing them....Perhaps you should stick to facts and not what you think???

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

any experience in law enforcement or restraining suspects? Thought not, flk off and post your idiot comments elsewhere stupid.

You stated you know what Derik Chauvin was thinking and his intention was to murder George Floyd....Whilst I accept his actions were reckless and caused the death of a suspect I have never presumed to know the intent of Derik Chauvin....By the way I will post my opinion any time I like anywhere I want even if it makes you look like the complete dickhead you are....Claiming you know Derik Chauvin deliberately murdered George Floyd before a jury has come to a verdict or all the evidence has been heard shows you are complete dickhead....Post your idiot comments elsewhere stupid!!!

how old are you? you come across like a very immature 12 year old. My opinion is as valid as any others, unlike yourself I base it on knowledge and experience. Just because you know bugger all and have little life experience doesnt mean others havent.  You have a lot to learn boy.

So knowledge and experience allows you to know what Derik Chauvin was thinking and his intention was to murder George Floyd....You are so full of bullshit!!!

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992)

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #123 - Apr 9th, 2021 at 7:04pm

philperth2010 wrote on Apr 9th, 2021 at 6:32pm:

So knowledge and experience allows you to know what Derik Chauvin was thinking and his intention was to murder George Floyd....You are so full of bullshit!!!

Anyone reading this thread can see that the evidence given in court regarding the method of restraint,  positional asphyxiation and conclusions is exactly what I  posted.   Yes, I know, you look like a total dkhed now for arguing with me, not my fault. You know nothing but argue the point anyway, this forum is full of twats like you. No knowledge , experience or training but you all pretend to be experts.

IP Logged

Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

Reply #124 - Apr 11th, 2021 at 1:40pm

rhino wrote on Apr 9th, 2021 at 7:04pm:

Anyone reading this thread can see that the evidence given in court regarding the method of restraint,  positional asphyxiation and conclusions is exactly what I  posted.   Yes, I know, you look like a total dkhed now for arguing with me, not my fault. You know nothing but argue the point anyway, this forum is full of twats like you. No knowledge , experience or training but you all pretend to be experts.

But, it isn't quite that easy.......it's not up to you two.

There are set guidelines set forth in law on how the trial must proceed. This process is overseen by the trial judge, whose main function is to make sure that Derik Chauvin gets a 'fair trial' as proscribed by US Law.

The Prosecuting Attorney presents the State's case against the defendant.

The defendant's attorney(s) will attempt to counter each & every word the Prosecution utters, in the hopes of persuading just one (1) juror of the 12 that the Prosecution failed to make the case for the State against the defendant beyond a reasonable doubt (as determined by the juror, not the State).

If the Prosecution is successful, & he/she gets a unanimous decision of the 12 jurors for a guilty verdict, then the defendant is found guilty, & the Judge will.....based on the law.....the judge will pass sentence upon Derik Chauvin.

If the Prosecution fails to get a unanimous decision....less than 100% of the jury.....then there would be a hung jury......at which point the State would have to decide whether to hold the defendant over for a new trial, with a completely new jury.....
or
.......if the State feels it could never convict the defendant, they will have to set Derik Chauvin free, never to be tried for the same charges ever again.

"When the People fear government there is Tyranny;
When government fears the People there is Freedom & Liberty!"

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #125 - Apr 12th, 2021 at 4:11pm

I am not the one claiming I know what Derik Chauvin was thinking and his intention was to murder George Floyd....That would be you ya dickhead....This forum is full of twats like you....No knowledge, experience or training but you pretend to be a mind reader....Idiot???

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #126 - Apr 12th, 2021 at 4:49pm

philperth2010 wrote on Apr 12th, 2021 at 4:11pm:

I am not the one claiming I know what Derik Chauvin was thinking and his intention was to murder George Floyd....That would be you ya dickhead....This forum is full of twats like you....No knowledge, experience or training but you pretend to be a mind reader....Idiot???

well theres the rub my immature friend, I actually do have knowledge  experience and training, its fairly obvious from my posts, but then the term positional asphyxiation is multi syllabic so probably beyond your capabilities to understand. Dont criticise if you dont know anything yourself  boy.

IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #127 - Apr 12th, 2021 at 7:16pm

rhino wrote on Apr 12th, 2021 at 4:49pm:

well theres the rub my immature friend, I actually do have knowledge  experience and training, its fairly obvious from my posts, but then the term positional asphyxiation is multi syllabic so probably beyond your capabilities to understand. Dont criticise if you dont know anything yourself  boy.

You are so full of crap....You are answering a question that was never asked to cover your ignorance and bullshit....You do not understand the term intent and believe you know what the accused was thinking (intent to kill)....You are a dickhead mate!!!

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #128 - Apr 12th, 2021 at 7:34pm

philperth2010 wrote on Apr 12th, 2021 at 7:16pm:

You are so full of crap....You are answering a question that was never asked to cover your ignorance and bullshit....You do not understand the term intent and believe you know what the accused was thinking (intent to kill)....You are a dickhead mate!!!

Just let adults discuss. You also shouldnt post while you are under the influence, your posts are incoherent and place your semi literacy on display for all to see.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #129 - Apr 12th, 2021 at 7:39pm

Well - if they've charged him with murder - and cannot prove intent - their case is lost before it starts.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #130 - Apr 12th, 2021 at 7:46pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Apr 12th, 2021 at 7:39pm:
Well - if they've charged him with murder - and cannot prove intent - their case is lost before it starts.
They also charged him with manslaughter. Not exactly sure but I think the jury will have the option to find him not guilty of murder but guilty of manslaughter.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #131 - Apr 12th, 2021 at 7:47pm

rhino wrote on Apr 8th, 2021 at 12:27pm:
if anyone wants to know about positional asphyxiation this is a prime example of it. In this case it was untrained Casino guards. this particular example is now used as an example of what not to do in law enforcement training in this country. this basically how Floyd was restrained , face down, arms handcuffed behind his back but with the added bonus of someone kneeling on his neck.
Quote:
Guards restrained casino patron with 'shut down' tactic
IN THE security industry, it is known as the ''shut down'' position and is used as a last resort to control violent, aggressive drunks. The target is held face down on the ground as two security guards pin their arms and a third holds their legs.

Anthony Dunning, 40, died four days after he was placed in the ''shut down'' position at Crown Casino on Sunday night, July 3 last year.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/guards-restrained-casino-patron-with...

When I did guarding at a Sydney Leagues Club, the perps were usually knocked unconscious and placed in the recovery position.  Saves a lot of trouble.... though it only ever happened once with a bloke on leave from the Navy doing some extra work as a guard.  Perp stole some cutlery, headed down the street, and when stopped by the guard, lashed out - bad move.  Down in one, into recovery position, and the Navy guy was worried about 'excessive force' - I said - No - I saw it as I came down the footpath towards you.  Cops had no problem when they arrested the fool.

Only once ever held a bloke down with a wrist lock - big Fijian guy drunk to the gills... no problem with a wrist lock and he calmed down.  Put him in a cab and sent him home without laying assault charges (he hit me once) - and next day he was so apologetic - normally a nice guy but lost it on booze.  I said - No Problem - after that he and his Fijian mates were first to back us up.

Hearts and Minds all the way with me.... win 'em over and they will back you in a tight spot.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #132 - Apr 12th, 2021 at 7:52pm

rhino wrote on Apr 12th, 2021 at 7:34pm:

Just let adults discuss. You also shouldnt post while you are under the influence, your posts are incoherent and place your semi literacy on display for all to see.

Is that the best you can do to defend your crap....You claimed you know what Derik Chauvin was thinking which we know is bullshit....You are a liar and a flake mate....Did experience teach you how to be a complete dickhead???

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #133 - Apr 12th, 2021 at 7:58pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Apr 12th, 2021 at 7:47pm:
rhino wrote on Apr 8th, 2021 at 12:27pm:
if anyone wants to know about positional asphyxiation this is a prime example of it. In this case it was untrained Casino guards. this particular example is now used as an example of what not to do in law enforcement training in this country. this basically how Floyd was restrained , face down, arms handcuffed behind his back but with the added bonus of someone kneeling on his neck.
Quote:
Guards restrained casino patron with 'shut down' tactic
IN THE security industry, it is known as the ''shut down'' position and is used as a last resort to control violent, aggressive drunks. The target is held face down on the ground as two security guards pin their arms and a third holds their legs.

Anthony Dunning, 40, died four days after he was placed in the ''shut down'' position at Crown Casino on Sunday night, July 3 last year.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/guards-restrained-casino-patron-with...

When I did guarding at a Sydney Leagues Club, the perps were usually knocked unconscious and placed in the recovery position.  Saves a lot of trouble.... though it only ever happened once with a bloke on leave from the Navy doing some extra work as a guard.  Perp stole some cutlery, headed down the street, and when stopped by the guard, lashed out - bad move.  Down in one, into recovery position, and the Navy guy was worried about 'excessive force' - I said - No - I saw it as I came down the footpath towards you.  Cops had no problem when they arrested the fool.

Only once ever held a bloke down with a wrist lock - big Fijian guy drunk to the gills... no problem with a wrist lock and he calmed down.  Put him in a cab and sent him home without laying assault charges (he hit me once) - and next day he was so apologetic - normally a nice guy but lost it on booze.  I said - No Problem - after that he and his Fijian mates were first to back us up.

Hearts and Minds all the way with me.... win 'em over and they will back you in a tight spot.

You are walking a fine line knocking people unconscious, for one thing its very hard to determine the level of force necessary, lots of people including security guards have found this out at their cost. Cops wont always have " no trouble with it". Many other restraint methods available  which do not risk assault charges , or worse. The issue with security guards is training, the Crown casino guards had zero training in positional asphyxiation but it should have been required for anyone in a role where they need to physically restrain someone. In this case of course , Chauvin had the training and the experience but chose to ignore it, he also applied the restraint ? long after it was required.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #134 - Apr 12th, 2021 at 7:59pm

philperth2010 wrote on Apr 12th, 2021 at 7:52pm:
rhino wrote on Apr 12th, 2021 at 7:34pm:

Is that the best you can do to defend your crap....You claimed you know what Derik Chauvin was thinking which we know is bullshit....You are a liar and a flake mate....Did experience teach you how to be a complete dickhead???

easy then , show where i claimed that. Do it before your mummy puts you to bed.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 33
Send Topic Print