Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Gas Plant Workers Walk Off The Job Over Pay (Read 524 times)
whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Gas Plant Workers Walk Off The Job Over Pay
Mar 4th, 2021 at 5:14pm

Inpex gas plant workers in Darwin walk off job over pay dispute as EBA talks stall
ABC News
March 3 2021
A crowd of men holding union flags and a poster that says 'This is a major hazardous facility, not a biscuit factory'.
Around 70 repairs and maintenance workers took part in the strike.

Repairs and maintenance staff at Darwin's multi-million-dollar export gas plant are threatening ongoing strike action, saying their pay and conditions are well below levels in other states.

Key points:
Unions say negotiations on pay and conditions for repair and maintenance staff have stalled
Around 70 workers took part in strike action, ahead of a meeting with the contract-holder tomorrow
Only a few hundred workers are now employed at the gas plant, after a peak of 8,000 during construction

Around 70 striking workers employed by Inpex contractor Trace Broadspectrum gathered outside the large-scale processing plant at Bladin Point on Wednesday morning.

Electrical Trade Union organiser David Hayes said the one-day action was being taken because enterprise bargaining agreement negotiations had hit a wall after 10 months of talks.   Sad

He said wages and conditions for the predominantly local maintenance workforce were below industry standard for such facilities and well below agreements in other states.   Sad

One protesting worker carried a sign reading: "This is a major hazardous facility, not a biscuit factory."

"We are looking at bringing the workforce here, their pay and conditions, up to those standards that's enjoyed around the rest of Australia," Mr Hayes said.

"Other plants the same as this in Gladstone for example or in WA, we see workers on those plants are paid up to 20 per cent more than workers here in Darwin."

Men in high-vis holding protest signs by the side of the road.
Union members say EBA negotiations have stalled after 10 months of talks.
A few hundred workers are now employed at the Inpex site, which was the biggest construction project in Northern Territory history and had an 8,000-strong, largely fly-in, fly-out workforce at the peak of construction.

Inpex said the maintenance contract would create around 160 local jobs when it was awarded to Trace Broadspectrum in 2017.

Ahead of a union meeting with the contractor scheduled for tomorrow, David Hayes said EBA negotiations were stuck on rates of pay as well as leave and rostered day off arrangements.

"The things that actually cost the company money are the sticking points that we are at at the moment," Mr Hayes said.

"We need to use the options that are available to us to put pressure on the company and get back to the table and make some decisions."

The union said staff expected the strike to interrupt some planned maintenance, although overall operations at the plant would not be affected.

Inpex and Trace Broadspectrum have been contacted for comment.

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Gas Plant Workers Walk Off The Job Over Pay
Reply #1 - Mar 4th, 2021 at 5:49pm

not a problem.

we shouldnt be mining fossil fuels anyway.

everyone should stay home, get fat and wait for scomo to mail them a cheque.

i like zimbabwee currency

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #2 - Mar 4th, 2021 at 6:44pm

I don't know about Zimbabwe money, but I do know their women are a good root.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #3 - Mar 4th, 2021 at 10:56pm

Labor dispute in Hong Darwin?  That's against party policy in a worker's state......

Jesus - I've known sailors who deemed Darwin a hardship posting..... more pay for that hot and steamy joint... you need it to keep the supply of piss up...  in the deep outback it's not so bad... it's a dry heat, man... I can handle that easily.

Zimbabwean women, you say?  **ears prick up**  ... That little Fijian was nice during 'the coup' but hell... maybe Africa is the gold standard, eh?  I find it varies from woman to woman and has nothing to do with race or colour etc.... about 10% of them are excellent roots...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Pedro Curevo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Nth Coast NSW
Reply #4 - Mar 5th, 2021 at 12:39am

Neoliberalism chases cheap Labor in poor countries and keeps wages low in the west...while the rich elite get richer.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #5 - Mar 5th, 2021 at 6:29pm

What are they getting paid WK?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print