Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Australia is only competitive in making bricks (Read 513 times)
Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Australia is only competitive in making bricks
Mar 2nd, 2021 at 9:51am

Only because the shipping costs of bricks put competitors at a disadvantage.

But even a competitive advantage in bricks is uncertain.

Australia needs to focus on educating its future brick-makers at schools and universities to keep out foreign bricks.

Manufacturing will never return to Australia even if high tariffs are imposed because exporters of resources and agricultural products need the A$ being low which improves their profit from commodities with prices denominated in US$.

https://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2019/05/nsw-import-bricks-gas-gangsters-steal-e...

Quote:
NSW to import bricks as gas gangsters steal economy
By David Llewellyn-Smith in Australian LNG, Featured Articleat 9:15 am on May 28, 2019

They’re made of dirt and water and take up a lot of space. In short, they are extremely contestable, a nightmare to transport and nobody ever trades them. Yet NSW is about to do just that with imports because it can no longer afford to make them.

Yes, it is the neanderthal practice of manufacturing bricks, via the AFR:

Industrial energy users are demanding an urgent focus from the returned Coalition government on bringing down electricity and gas costs and the end to the vacuum on energy and climate policy that is being blamed for chasing manufacturers from the country.

Industry bosses say the transition to clean energy is already underway and the government needs to focus on making it more – not less – efficient.

“When manufacturers start closing and companies like me start saying I can bring bricks from Pennsylvania 16,000 kilometres away and land them in Sydney cheaper than I can make them, they’ve got big problems,” said Brickworks chief executive Lindsay Partridge. ... 

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Australia is only competitive in making bricks
Reply #1 - Mar 2nd, 2021 at 9:54am

Laugh till you cry wrote on Mar 2nd, 2021 at 9:51am:
Only because the shipping costs of bricks put competitors at a disadvantage.

But even a competitive advantage in bricks is uncertain.

Australia needs to focus on educating its future brick-makers at schools and universities to keep out foreign bricks.

Manufacturing will never return to Australia even if high tariffs are imposed because exporters of resources and agricultural products need the A$ being low which improves their profit from commodities with prices denominated in US$.

https://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2019/05/nsw-import-bricks-gas-gangsters-steal-e...

Quote:
NSW to import bricks as gas gangsters steal economy
By David Llewellyn-Smith in Australian LNG, Featured Articleat 9:15 am on May 28, 2019

They’re made of dirt and water and take up a lot of space. In short, they are extremely contestable, a nightmare to transport and nobody ever trades them. Yet NSW is about to do just that with imports because it can no longer afford to make them.

Yes, it is the neanderthal practice of manufacturing bricks, via the AFR:

Industrial energy users are demanding an urgent focus from the returned Coalition government on bringing down electricity and gas costs and the end to the vacuum on energy and climate policy that is being blamed for chasing manufacturers from the country.

Industry bosses say the transition to clean energy is already underway and the government needs to focus on making it more – not less – efficient.

“When manufacturers start closing and companies like me start saying I can bring bricks from Pennsylvania 16,000 kilometres away and land them in Sydney cheaper than I can make them, they’ve got big problems,” said Brickworks chief executive Lindsay Partridge. ... 

True ...... you should be bricked.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #2 - Mar 2nd, 2021 at 12:23pm

Australia could become the first country with a University of brickology with Gnads as the first Doctor of Bricks on a seat of bricks.

Sons and daughters of Australia and closet poms don't let this brick-solid opportunity pass you by.

Do not stare into holes in the ground whose contents were exported to China, look to bricks for your future.

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #3 - Mar 2nd, 2021 at 3:44pm

Australia will be the first country on earth to have an entire population of persons who's gender is unknown.

Everyone will wear the same clothes
Everyone will have the same hair, cut and colour
Everyone will be known was them.

We will be a country of mentally deficient, mentally ill, drones.

Driving electric vehicles to work, where they make nothing.

Driving home in their electric vehicles where they sleep

No going anywhere unless it's approved by the state.

No personal interaction unless it's state approved.

Sleep, work, sleep, work......good little drones

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print