Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Wage Growth Stuck At Record Lows (Read 466 times)
whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Wage Growth Stuck At Record Lows
Feb 28th, 2021 at 9:26am

Annual wages growth stuck at record lows as recession takes its toll   Sad
Feb 24 2021 New Daily
Workers received an average pay rise of 0.6 per cent in the final quarter of 2020 as annual wages growth remained at record lows.

The pay bump followed a rise of just 0.1 per cent in the September quarter and a 0.2 per cent increase in the June quarter.

Data released by the Australian Bureau of Statistics on Wednesday morning shows that over the 12 months to December 31 wages grew by just 1.4 per cent – the joint-worst result since records began in 1997.

“December quarter’s moderate growth was influenced by businesses rolling back short-term wage reductions, returning wages to pre-COVID levels,” said Michelle Marquardt, head of prices statistics at the ABS.

“The phased implementation of the Fair Work Commission annual wage review also had a small positive impact on wages.”

Private-sector wages grew faster (0.5 per cent) than their public-sector counterparts (0.3 per cent) in the final three months of the year, as many governments had introduced a pay freeze.

The education and training industry enjoyed the strongest growth over the year (2.4 per cent) while the accommodation and food services industry suffered the lowest (0.3 per cent).

Professional services was the best performing industry over the quarter, though. It recorded a rise of 1.2 per cent as businesses unwound pandemic wage cuts in line with the economic recovery, while admin came in second (0.9 per cent) and retail came in third (0.7 per cent).

Among the states, Victoria recorded the joint-highest quarterly rise (0.7 per cent) after the state emerged from its months-long lockdown. And the Northern Territory also clocked in quarterly growth of 0.7 per cent, based mainly on regular public-sector wages growth.

Indeed APAC economist Callam Pickering said while wages rose at “a solid clip in the December quarter”, this was mainly because businesses were unwinding wage freezes and delays caused by COVID-19.

“Australian wage growth remains incredibly weak by historical standards,” he said.   

“While wage growth will improve over the course of 2021, low wage growth remains an impediment to Australia’s economic recovery and a thorn in the side of policymakers across the country.”

The pandemic-induced recession led to hundreds of thousands of job losses and widespread pay cuts as coronavirus restrictions forced many businesses to close their doors.   Sad

But wages growth had been weak for many years leading up to the pandemic – tracking well below the long-run average of 3 to 4 per cent a year and discouraging consumers from opening their wallets as a result.

The weak wages outcome comes after the federal government announced on Wednesday that it would raise the base rate of JobSeeker by $25 a week after the temporary coronavirus supplement ends on March 31.

The changes amount to a reduction in benefits of $50 a week, as the current coronavirus supplement is worth $150 a fortnight.

Economists said the changes would add to the downward pressure on wages, while also making it harder for unemployed Australians to pay for household bills and essentials.   Sad

“Long term, it does two things,” Angela Jackson, lead economist at Equity Economics, told The New Daily on Tuesday.

“It reduces labour market mobility [job switching], because the risk of unemployment comes with this huge risk of poverty and this means people are less likely to take risks in the labour market. And it also entrenches disadvantage.

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Re: Wage Growth Stuck At Record Lows
Reply #1 - Feb 28th, 2021 at 1:46pm

Australian workers have done better in wage rises than the workers of other countries since the 2008-9 GFC.

Australians have become too greedy.

The real problem in Australia is that the government keeps taking more in fees and allows utilities and councils to raise their margins without just cause.

The government is responsible for the rising house prices and for depressed wages by allowing excessive immigration and foreign visa holders. All of these factors contribute to falling living standards for the average Australian.

Australia rose economically on the sheep's back until the 1970s. Now it's riding the immigrants and foreign visa holder's backs.

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Re: Wage Growth Stuck At Record Lows
Reply #2 - Feb 28th, 2021 at 3:31pm

Don't care.

My income is fixed, based on my super fund.

If wages go up too much, I'll be valuable for the part pension.

Ahhhhj.....life is good.

Keep wages down, better still cut wages.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print