Thyroid Surgery (Read 4979 times)
Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Re: Thyroid Surgery
Reply #30 - Apr 1st, 2021 at 8:21am

Thanks, guys.

Might have had all this done a bit faster if I had private health insurance (which I cannot afford) but I've heard that even with private a lot of people still have surgery delays these days.

"Masks are sand in the gears of the economy" - some f-wit pollie or big business CEO.

IP Logged

Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Reply #31 - Apr 8th, 2021 at 10:37am

Well, a week has passed and still no news of a new appointment.

I'll wait until next week and if I haven't heard anything I'll give them a call. I wouldn't be surprised if they forget to book me in again with all the pressure the hospitals and health system generally here in Perth have to deal with right now.

"Masks are sand in the gears of the economy" - some f-wit pollie or big business CEO.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #32 - Apr 8th, 2021 at 10:55am

Mark Mcgowan is on  holiday, so any crisis in the health system will have to wait until he gets back. To think that you praised and voted for these idiots.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #33 - Apr 8th, 2021 at 11:15am

rhino wrote on Apr 8th, 2021 at 10:55am:
Mark Mcgowan is on  holiday, so any crisis in the health system will have to wait until he gets back. To think that you praised and voted for these idiots.

Yeah.

Coz if the Liberal Party work experience kid was Premier now, everything would be hunky dory.

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #34 - Apr 8th, 2021 at 12:12pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Apr 8th, 2021 at 11:15am:

Yeah.

Coz if the Liberal Party work experience kid was Premier now, everything would be hunky dory.

What Football guernsey does McGowan wear?  Grin

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #35 - Apr 8th, 2021 at 12:22pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Apr 8th, 2021 at 11:15am:

Yeah.

I realise MCgowan is Premier by default , not the point.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #36 - Apr 12th, 2021 at 8:02am

Carl D wrote on Apr 8th, 2021 at 10:37am:
Well, a week has passed and still no news of a new appointment.

I'll wait until next week and if I haven't heard anything I'll give them a call. I wouldn't be surprised if they forget to book me in again with all the pressure the hospitals and health system generally here in Perth have to deal with right now.

why is it any worse than anywhere else Carl?...

to the rest of us  WA is as safe as houses thanks to McGowan giving the rest of us the big finger...

IP Logged

Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Reply #37 - Apr 12th, 2021 at 9:12am

Hi, cods.

The problem is caused (and, I'm sure its the same all over Australia) by State and Federal governments not keeping up with the population increase when it comes to things like hospitals and housing, etc.

And, yes... we are "safe as houses" (for the moment, anyway) thanks to Mark McGowan but I'm inclined to agree with a few recent letter writers to our West Australian newspaper who said they believe the reason why our Premier was so quick to order the "hard borders" since the Covid pandemic began and the recent 5 day lockdown due to a single Covid case was because he knew our hospitals would be completely overwhelmed if there was a major Covid outbreak here.

And, I've just heard in the past few days (from our next door neighbour and a letter writer in yesterday's Sunday Times) that all non urgent elective surgeries have been cancelled again here at Perth hospitals for at least the next 2 weeks due to the ongoing health crisis.

I can't find any "official" source for this at the moment but, if its true, it would probably explain why I still haven't received a new appointment letter yet.

IP Logged

Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Reply #38 - Apr 12th, 2021 at 5:05pm

Well, I've received another appointment letter from Royal Perth in the mail today.

Now my surgery is scheduled for
May 26th
which is 6 weeks from this Wednesday!!.

When I call them to confirm the appointment (which they've asked me to do at the end of the letter) I'll have to ask if they're really really going to do it this time.

(I notice the letter took 6 days to arrive but that was probably Australia Post's fault).  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #39 - Apr 12th, 2021 at 5:42pm

Carl D wrote on Apr 12th, 2021 at 9:12am:
Hi, cods.

The problem is caused (and, I'm sure its the same all over Australia) by State and Federal governments not keeping up with the population increase when it comes to things like hospitals and housing, etc.

And, yes... we are "safe as houses" (for the moment, anyway) thanks to Mark McGowan but I'm inclined to agree with a few recent letter writers to our West Australian newspaper who said they believe the reason why our Premier was so quick to order the "hard borders" since the Covid pandemic began and the recent 5 day lockdown due to a single Covid case was because he knew our hospitals would be completely overwhelmed if there was a major Covid outbreak here.

And, I've just heard in the past few days (from our next door neighbour and a letter writer in yesterday's Sunday Times) that all non urgent elective surgeries have been cancelled again here at Perth hospitals for at least the next 2 weeks due to the ongoing health crisis.

I can't find any "official" source for this at the moment but, if its true, it would probably explain why I still haven't received a new appointment letter yet.

I wouldnt call a HEALTH CRISIS  safe  carl...watch out you are not having the wool pulled over your eyes..

we are pretty safe here in the ACT as well..  but our health system isnt anywhere near as bad as yours....its not great I give you that and its not  top rate as it should be...BUT  ... anyway  you do have another date now so lets hope they mean it....btw hope you are no where near this cyclone that is doing a lot of damage by the sound of things...must be scary stuff....all the best to you and your fellow sandgropers....stay safe.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #40 - Apr 12th, 2021 at 5:48pm

cods wrote on Apr 12th, 2021 at 5:42pm:
Carl D wrote on Apr 12th, 2021 at 9:12am:
Hi, cods.

I wouldnt call a HEALTH CRISIS  safe  carl...watch out you are not having the wool pulled over your eyes..

we are pretty safe here in the ACT as well..  but our health system isnt anywhere near as bad as yours....its not great I give you that and its not  top rate as it should be...BUT  ... anyway  you do have another date now so lets hope they mean it....btw hope you are no where near this cyclone that is doing a lot of damage by the sound of things...must be scary stuff....all the best to you and your fellow sandgropers....stay safe.

The cyclone is hundreds of kilometres away from us.

But thanks for the thoughts   Smiley

We've just had a bit of rain, that's all.  Probably not even 5 mm.

And the wind is only about 35 kph, at its peak.

Today was actually a very nice wintry autumn day.

IP Logged

Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Reply #41 - Apr 12th, 2021 at 6:08pm

Thanks, cods.  Smiley

Hi, Greg.

Bit darn windy this afternoon - at least here in Rivervale. And, its a south/southwester which is also keeping things rather cool (which I'm happy to see finally after the unusually warm weather we've had for the start of April).

Well, at least I've managed to book my yearly flu shot for tomorrow afternoon at Terry White Chemmart at the Kooyong Road shops. I booked it online but I'll have to ask them how come today I managed to book it for tomorrow yet when I checked a few days ago they didn't have any appointments available until May 8th (and neither did the Terry White at Belmont Forum)??? Huh

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #42 - Apr 13th, 2021 at 8:33am

I dont think we get the flu jabs in the chemists here...
I still get mine at the doctors.. glad you are not near the bad weather   it doesnt look like its over yet all the same...

IP Logged

Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Reply #43 - May 27th, 2021 at 3:44pm

Back from my thyroid surgery.

Arrived at Royal Perth Hospital at 10:15 yesterday morning, went into surgery at 1:15pm, woke up from the general anesthetic at about 3:45pm and spent the night at the hospital.

Doctor who did the surgery said there didn't appear to be anything 'sinister' about the nodule (lump) he removed along with the right side of the thyroid but it will be sent to the lab for analysis.

Have to wear a big bandage on my neck for the next couple of weeks until my follow up appointment where the doctor will check to see if the remaining half of the thyroid still produces the required amount of hormones, if it doesn't I'll probably need to take tablets for the rest of my life.

Overall, the experience wasn't bad at all. The doctors, nurses and staff at RPH are excellent.

IP Logged

Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Reply #44 - Jun 8th, 2021 at 12:26am

No problems so far nearly 2 weeks later, apart from having the dressing over the stitched area changed on Saturday and it will probably be changed again when I visit my GP tomorrow. The stitches are 'internal' and should dissolve by themselves if they haven't already.

I have a follow up appointment at Royal Perth on the 15th June where I assume they will do the first of probably several blood tests to see if the remaining half of the thyroid is able to produce the required amount of hormones, If not,  I may have to take tablets for the rest of my life. (Oops... already said that in my previous post).

Apparently I had a bit of a skin reaction to the glue used in the strip to cover the stitches after the surgery, it came up in lumps under the dressing the day after I came home but I thought it was normal since I was taking anti inflammatory tablets (Celecoxib APOTEX), 2 a day for the first 3 days.

The lumps under the dressing disappeared a day or 2 later but the dressing (a large plastic bandage with a pad inside) began to fill with fluid from the lumps after they went down and then the fluid started leaking out. All OK now though.
« Last Edit: Jun 8th, 2021 at 12:33am by Carl D »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print