Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The Perseverance has Landed (Read 1409 times)
Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Perseverance has Landed
Feb 19th, 2021 at 1:16pm

Aussie lady invents way of detecting signs of life with probe called PIXL (short for Planetary Instrument for X-ray Lithochemistry) searching for previous life on Mars

I hope this is not viewed as Jingoism by some, but I feel a sense of pride knowing Aussies were involved in interplanetary research. The article is interesting, the idea for the PIXL started in the Pilbara when studying fossilized rock for evidence of biological presence ions ago

https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2021-02-17/mars-nasa-perserverance-rover-abi...

This video is about the Perseverance rover, the PIXL probe is shown at 14min 25sec

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Re: The Perseverance has Landed
Reply #1 - Feb 19th, 2021 at 1:29pm

Not jingoism at all. Great news for STEM, women in STEM in Australia.

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

Mix_Master
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Feb 19th, 2021 at 3:24pm

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Feb 19th, 2021 at 1:29pm:
Not jingoism at all. Great news for STEM, women in STEM in Australia.

Agreed. I suspect that there are many inventions quietly being utilised around the planet, which were invented right here. WiFi being just one.

Good on her.

In fact, one of the things I've really liked over the years about space exploration generally, is the fact that it increasingly involves the people of many Nations/creeds/colours etc. working together, toward common goals.

Something of a contrast to what generally happens back here on Earth... Undecided

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #3 - Feb 19th, 2021 at 8:32pm

I don't see a Future in Mars.
Looks more like a future of what earth would be like after major thermo-nuclear war.
Venus either with its pollutional suicide of greenhouse gases.

To me the two most important entities are Triton and Pluto.
Triton will have no life but will be the best ever 'world' out there to 'support' Human/Earth-like Life taken there. Pluto will have a life of its own - so beautiful, yet so 'deadly' to human and earth-like Life. Pluto - god of the underworld will forever be beyond our reach. Rejecting us, like we did it.

Also, Humans won't be able to live in outer space until we learn to live - underwater. There's always a catch.

Might be 40,000 years before we find an equivalent of Human life out there. I wonder if we'll end up like Aboriginals on this 'island' Earth?

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #4 - Feb 19th, 2021 at 9:27pm

Jasin wrote on Feb 19th, 2021 at 8:32pm:
Looks more like a future of what earth would be like after major thermo-nuclear war.

Triton will have no life but will be the best ever 'world' out there to 'support' Human/Earth-like Life taken there. Pluto will have a life of its own - so beautiful, yet so 'deadly' to human and earth-like Life. Pluto - god of the underworld will forever be beyond our reach. Rejecting us, like we did it.

Also, Humans won't be able to live in outer space until we learn to live - underwater. There's always a catch.

Might be 40,000 years before we find an equivalent of Human life out there. I wonder if we'll end up like Aboriginals on this 'island' Earth?

There is a future on Mars if we can terraform it
to have a breathable atmosphere.
That technology is more than 1,000 years away.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #5 - Feb 19th, 2021 at 9:49pm

Bobby. wrote on Feb 19th, 2021 at 9:27pm:

Can't even fix, save or preserve this one Bobby.
What makes you think that NASA is anywhere near 'sane' enough to think they have what it takes to make Mars a life-sustaining project for humans?

Plus, in my view. Mars is TOO BIG to try and terraform for life. Best start small. Like Triton.  Wink

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #6 - Feb 19th, 2021 at 9:55pm

Jasin wrote on Feb 19th, 2021 at 9:49pm:
Can't even fix, save or preserve this one Bobby.
What makes you think that NASA is anywhere near 'sane' enough to think they have what it takes to make Mars a life-sustaining project for humans?

Plus, in my view. Mars is TOO BIG to try and terraform for life. Best start small. Like Triton.  Wink

It is almost impossible but who knows
what technology we'll have in 1,000 years?

Humanity’s future is glorious. As we master space travel, we’ll hop from one lifeless world to the next. Life will blossom in our path and the galaxy with shimmer with beautiful Earth-like orbs. Hmmm… maybe. This won’t sound so far fetched if we prove we can do it at least once. If we successfully terraform Mars.

Hosted by Matt O'Dowd
Written by Matt O'Dowd
Graphics by Murilo Lopes
Directed by: Andrew Kornhaber
Produced By: Kornhaber Brown

Support Space Time on Patreon
https://www.patreon.com/pbsspacetime​

Check out the new Space Time Merch Store!
https://pbsspacetime.com/​

We already have the technology to bring humans safely to Mars and set up small settlements - or at least could do within a generation. But those settlements will need to be cocooned - shielded against the deadly cold, intense radiation, and the fatal lack of atmospheric pressure. Surely if we want to thrive on Mars – to make it into our second home – these settlers, or their descendants, will need to be able open the airlocks, shed their spacesuits, and step out onto a survivable surface. We’ll need to terraform Mars, as our first step in terraforming the galaxy.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #7 - Feb 19th, 2021 at 10:01pm

Bobby. wrote on Feb 19th, 2021 at 9:27pm:

bobby,

I watched that 1986 "Aliens" movie too.

Maybe Elon can now just copy the tech that they described in the movie ?

Wink

Smiley

[waiting for the pile on    Grin     ]

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #8 - Feb 19th, 2021 at 10:05pm

Yadda wrote on Feb 19th, 2021 at 10:01pm:
bobby,

I watched that 1986 "Aliens" movie too.

Maybe Elon can now just copy the tech that they described in the movie ?

Wink

Smiley

[waiting for the pile on    Grin     ]

Watch the video -

forgiven

namaste

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #9 - Feb 20th, 2021 at 12:14pm

Like I said. Can't even Terraform this one to improve the quality of life. Been making species extinct ever since First Nation peoples wiped out Mega Fauna around the world.

I really don't think American Taxpayers, let alone Australian Taxpayers (via ScoMo's $350+million 'donation' to NASA) should be funding these NASA projects (just because  they have some technology to do so) that will all be 'dead ended' for a long time.
...under Corona - do we really want NASA to find a 'microbe' from another Planet to infect us as it would if it got out?

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #10 - Feb 23rd, 2021 at 11:32pm

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Feb 24th, 2021 at 12:28am

Here's some nice large pics from Mars. Includes a selfie of the rover

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/02/18/world/gallery/mars-perseverance-rover-scn/ind...

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #12 - Feb 24th, 2021 at 12:42am

Dirt and rocks.
Look! More dirt and rocks.  Roll Eyes
Possibly a microbe.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #13 - Feb 24th, 2021 at 1:36am

@ Reply #10,

Nemo,

The comment in that image would have been a worthy condemnation of the Spanish Conquistadors and their Catholic priests,
5 centuries ago
but today, as a comment of condemnation of the Christian faith, it is just a false slander.

And you know it.

It is the 21 century.

Religious violence and supremacism ?

Where are your 'in context' cartoons condemning the ISLAMIC supremacism and murders of today ?

Is criticism, parody and sarcasm of ISLAMIC violence, still not PC for you and yours ???

I thought that exposing truth, in cartooning was about parody and sarcasm of wrongdoing ?

But ISLAMISTS today, do not qualify, are 'off limits' ?

headlines re ISLAM, all in the last week....
Nigeria: Muslims screaming ‘Allahu akbar’ kidnap hundreds of schoolboys, shoot one student dead

Sweden: Muslim migrant who taught other Muslim migrants ‘how to behave’ toward women rapes a colleague

Bangladesh: Muslims rape Christian woman, local Muslims side with the attackers

Germany: Muslim migrant murders two people, one with ‘violent action on the neck,’ cops say motive unclear

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #14 - Feb 24th, 2021 at 8:42am

Humans have claimed that their "god" is on their side for centuries. e.g. Germany and England in WWII both claimed "god" was on their side.

Point being, Humans are a pox upon the face of the Cosmos.

Isn't it enough for that species to destroy one small speck in the universe?

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print