Send Topic Print
Rats! (Read 1984 times)
UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Rats!
Feb 9th, 2021 at 5:07pm

I had a rat problem for a few years. But I managed to kill off a few when I put some ratsak downstairs, and kept some sensor deterrent plugged in upstairs. My neighbour's cat would come around and explore the garage for rats as well.

Just yesterday, I was putting some scraps into the compost bin. I opened the lid to find the biggest rat I have ever seen. The rat had tunnelled under the bin to get in to eat the scraps. It had one look at me and then scampered through the hole and under my house.

Does anyone have another way of getting rid of rats, in addition to using traps, poisons, and having a cat roam freely in the area?

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Re: Rats!
Reply #1 - Feb 9th, 2021 at 5:25pm

Ten kilograms of explosives under the house should do the trick.

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #2 - Feb 9th, 2021 at 6:35pm

Laugh till you cry wrote on Feb 9th, 2021 at 5:25pm:
Ten kilograms of explosives under the house should do the trick.

As long as I have no problem with my house landing in Oz.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #3 - Feb 9th, 2021 at 6:40pm

Rat traps will work.
The only problem is that they can kill: birds, possums or cats.
You need to find a place under the house to put them where other creatures can't be killed by them.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Feb 9th, 2021 at 7:40pm

Buy a Ferret

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #5 - Feb 9th, 2021 at 7:45pm

My neighbour's cat does the patrols of under my house. But, I think this rat might be a bit too big for him this time.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #6 - Feb 10th, 2021 at 8:07pm

my cats being inside ones never ever grew so big - so they would be no good to set up any rat-they are babies ( just the way I like them tbh) for a rat you need a big cat!! and there are big cats around the place- reckon cods cat can clean up a rat pretty quick !!!

x=^..^= x <o((((>< ~~~ x=^..^=x~~~x=^..^=x<o((((><~~~x=^..^=x

farewell to days of wild abandon and freedom in the adriatic

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #7 - Feb 10th, 2021 at 8:09pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Feb 9th, 2021 at 7:45pm:
My neighbour's cat does the patrols of under my house. But, I think this rat might be a bit too big for him this time.

cods might lend out her cat unsub- he loves to go for rats!

x=^..^= x <o((((>< ~~~ x=^..^=x~~~x=^..^=x<o((((><~~~x=^..^=x

farewell to days of wild abandon and freedom in the adriatic

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #8 - Feb 10th, 2021 at 9:39pm

UnsubRocky should hire Banana-fingers Haji Gordon who is known to repel all life forms.

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk

Dogs not cats!

Reply #9 - Feb 14th, 2021 at 7:19pm

Get a terrier! Specifically, an Australian terrier. No more rat problem.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

Mortdooley
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Texas Gulf Coast
Reply #10 - Feb 20th, 2021 at 11:01pm

I use bait stations like the ones you see indiscreetly placed around businesses. It will be a matter of finding what bait blocks are legal where you live. The brand I use works great.

The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. ~Ecc. 10:2

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #11 - Feb 20th, 2021 at 11:13pm

I have a bait station set up behind the washtub downstairs. I will have to review the video footage to see what sort of things have happened as of recent.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #12 - Feb 20th, 2021 at 11:19pm

Catching Rats is much like getting rid of a Tapeworm.
Lay in a dark room with old schmelly cheese on your chest with your mouth open. Eventually, with no food in your stomach after a few days - the Tapeworm will smell the cheese and crawl out where you can remove the rest of it out your mouth. Say Ahh.

Same with Rats. Just tent out in the back yard with a block of schmelly cheese in a trap cage. Anything else that comes near it you can shoo away. But if you wanna catch the Rat, you have to say up for a night in the dark and draw it out. Rat's keen sense of smell would pick up the schmelly cheese  as soon as it begins it's night's outing.
You can catch a lot of things with schmelly cheese.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Mortdooley
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Texas Gulf Coast
Reply #13 - Feb 21st, 2021 at 12:34am

UnSubRocky wrote on Feb 20th, 2021 at 11:13pm:
I have a bait station set up behind the washtub downstairs. I will have to review the video footage to see what sort of things have happened as of recent.

My bait stations hold eight blocks, I judge how well they work by how much bait is eaten. A couple of weeks ago one of them was empty three mornings in a row. On the fourth morning half the blocks were gone. Since then just a little was eaten from two of the blocks and I haven't seen any sign of rats since.

The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. ~Ecc. 10:2

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #14 - Feb 22nd, 2021 at 8:46pm

Mortdooley wrote on Feb 21st, 2021 at 12:34am:
UnSubRocky wrote on Feb 20th, 2021 at 11:13pm:

My bait stations hold eight blocks, I judge how well they work by how much bait is eaten. A couple of weeks ago one of them was empty three mornings in a row. On the fourth morning half the blocks were gone. Since then just a little was eaten from two of the blocks and I haven't seen any sign of rats since.

It looks like the bait pellets have been shifted. The neighbour's cat seems to be relatively intense in his pursuit of this large rat.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print