Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Telstra are useless .. any recommendations? (Read 3595 times)
Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Re: Telstra are useless .. any recommendations?
Reply #15 - Jan 23rd, 2021 at 9:09pm

Carl D wrote on Jan 23rd, 2021 at 10:53am:
One thing I've just found out about the new Telstra "Smart Modem" is that after I started using it MessageBank was turned back on for the home phone.

I never use MessageBank and I've had it turned off for the past 5 years since getting the first Telstra modem when we switched to the NBN, I prefer calls to go to the answering machine if I'm not there to answer them.

I only found out that MessageBank was back on when I saw I had a missed call after getting home yesterday and it said "VM (Voice Message) waiting" when I checked the number. The call went to MessageBank before it could be picked up by the answering machine (less rings were needed to send the call to MessageBank than needed for the answering machine. The number of rings can be adjusted for both if necessary, of course).

I've also noticed the phone has a funny 'stuttering' dial tone when you have a MessageBank message waiting.

Anyway, Telstra MessageBank is off again (#99# to turn it off, *99# if you want it back on - for landlines).

What I don't like about Telstra's service is that their routers let others share your bandwidth via their Telstra Air, unless they have stopped it. I suppose it also allows you to share other's connections via wifi...

https://addictive.net.au/telstra-air-how-your-neighbours-are-using-your-home-int...

IP Logged

Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Reply #16 - Jan 24th, 2021 at 9:06am

Setanta wrote on Jan 23rd, 2021 at 9:09pm:
What I don't like about Telstra's service is that their routers let others share your bandwidth via their Telstra Air, unless they have stopped it. I suppose it also allows you to share other's connections via wifi...

https://addictive.net.au/telstra-air-how-your-neighbours-are-using-your-home-int...

Yep, that's something else I turned off after getting the first Telstra modem over 5 years ago when we changed to the NBN (it was turned on by default, of course). It didn't turn itself back on after I connected the new "Smart Modem", unlike MessageBank for the landline phone.

"Masks are sand in the gears of the economy" - some f-wit pollie or big business CEO.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #17 - Jan 25th, 2021 at 10:01am

Optus are not much better.

I was promised FTTC 50:20. Guess what—am on useless FTTH. I can get 25 down on a good day, upload is a bit better, so now on 25:5 FTTN.

What a useless shower, Optus and the Lib govt both!
« Last Edit: Jan 26th, 2021 at 6:58am by Jovial Monk »  

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #18 - Jan 25th, 2021 at 12:15pm

I'm on NBN HFC 50/20

With Internode. I have been with them for donkey's years - they were really good back in the day before they were sold out to iiNet / TPG

Lately, I've been getting 53/18 so I'm pretty pleased with that.

I hear Aussie Broadband are good. People rave about them on Whirlpool anyway.

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #19 - Jan 25th, 2021 at 12:21pm

Jovial Monk wrote on Jan 25th, 2021 at 10:01am:

I was promised FTTC 50:20. Guess what—am on useless FTTH. I can get 25 down on a good day, upload is a bit better, so now on 25:5 FTTH.

Is that via a cat cable or Wi-Fi?

There are so many overlapping Wi-Fi boxes around my house, (I can see them all using inSSIDer but even trying to get away from the other bums by changing channels, they still crowd out the signal) I found that bunging in a cat cable from the router to the laptop improved my speed a lot.

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #20 - Jan 26th, 2021 at 7:05am

Captain Nemo wrote on Jan 25th, 2021 at 12:21pm:
Jovial Monk wrote on Jan 25th, 2021 at 10:01am:

I was promised FTTC 50:20. Guess what—am on useless FTTH. I can get 25 down on a good day, upload is a bit better, so now on 25:5 FTTH.

Is that via a cat cable or Wi-Fi?

There are so many overlapping Wi-Fi boxes around my house, (I can see them all using inSSIDer but even trying to get away from the other bums by changing channels, they still crowd out the signal) I found that bunging in a cat cable from the router to the laptop improved my speed a lot.

Sorry—I made an error, not FTTH (would be over the moon) but FTTN, only 25:5.

Useless pricks ran new copper down the street—should have been fibre! Thankfully, will be on FTTH once settled in Tassie.

Useless useless useless NBN Co. If there is new copper in place I should get more than 25:5! It is the CVC charge—a charge for the speed you get—choking the NBN. They should have long gotten rid of that charge and only charge ISPs AVC, the cost of the amount of data actually moved around the internet here.

Only imbeciles roll out new damn copper! The NBN Co and Lieberal Party are imbeciles!

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #21 - Jan 26th, 2021 at 11:45am

They've apparently solved my problems. .. turned out all the connectors in both the pit, and the junction box on the front of my house were all corroded. It was all put in about 3 years ago and I'm about 10 min drive to the beach

Did the libtardss allow for the cost of replacing all the connector every 3 years when they showed their pretend costings for Mixed technology crap? I'll bet they didn't.

Now i'll take my time and find a new provider
« Last Edit: Jan 26th, 2021 at 11:59am by John Smith »  

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #22 - Jan 26th, 2021 at 11:54am

When I was with Telstra for phone and internet and was having trouble with both—the connection top the line running down the street was corroded. Useless copper!

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #23 - Jan 26th, 2021 at 12:15pm

The only way Australians will get a decent internet service is to emigrate.

Most Asian countries have FTTH and far superior and cheaper services to those of Australia.

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Reply #24 - Jan 26th, 2021 at 12:39pm

Carl D wrote on Jan 23rd, 2021 at 10:53am:
One thing I've just found out about the new Telstra "Smart Modem" is that after I started using it MessageBank was turned back on for the home phone.

I never use MessageBank and I've had it turned off for the past 5 years since getting the first Telstra modem when we switched to the NBN, I prefer calls to go to the answering machine if I'm not there to answer them.

I only found out that MessageBank was back on when I saw I had a missed call after getting home yesterday and it said "VM (Voice Message) waiting" when I checked the number. The call went to MessageBank before it could be picked up by the answering machine (less rings were needed to send the call to MessageBank than needed for the answering machine. The number of rings can be adjusted for both if necessary, of course).

I've also noticed the phone has a funny 'stuttering' dial tone when you have a MessageBank message waiting.

Anyway, Telstra MessageBank is off again (#99# to turn it off, *99# if you want it back on - for landlines).

Well, now I've had to log into my Telstra online account and (hopefully) removed MessageBank completely because since getting that MessageBank call I now keep getting a missed call notification on my home phone about every 12 hours which says "VM Cleared" and it was starting to p*ss me off.

Some of them were at times like 1:30am. Its just as well the phone doesn't ring when the notifications arrive or I would be really annoyed.

Just clearing any calls you have in MessageBank and then turning it off with #99# like I did the other day doesn't stop it.

Apparently, from what I've been reading, this is a common problem with the "new" Telstra Smart Modems - and, its been going on for nearly 2 years now. I'm sure Telstra will get around to fixing it eventually.  Roll Eyes

"Masks are sand in the gears of the economy" - some f-wit pollie or big business CEO.

IP Logged

Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Reply #25 - Jan 26th, 2021 at 5:38pm

This was in my email when I got home this afternoon (cropped image and numbers 'blanked out' by me).

Wow - that was quick. And - on a public holiday!!! Shocked

[[Agent Name]] ?? Must be a secret agent?  Roll Eyes

telstra.jpg (62 KB | 6 )
telstra.jpg

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #26 - Jan 26th, 2021 at 5:58pm

Carl D wrote on Jan 26th, 2021 at 5:38pm:
Wow - that was quick. And - on a public holiday!!! Shocked

Is it a public holiday in India?

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Reply #27 - Jan 26th, 2021 at 6:22pm

John Smith wrote on Jan 26th, 2021 at 5:58pm:
Is it a public holiday in India?

Grin Grin

Well, the telephone scammers seem to be having the day off today. From what I've heard, most of the scam calls come from there.

I even read somewhere a while back that some people believe a few of these phone scammers actually work in "genuine" call centres and they make their scam calls during quiet times.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #28 - Jan 26th, 2021 at 6:36pm

Carl D wrote on Jan 26th, 2021 at 6:22pm:
Well, the telephone scammers seem to be having the day off today.

Pity ... i enjoy stringing them along for as long as I can. I'm usually at work when they call so I miss them. But I've taught my 8 yr old on what to say Grin Grin Grin

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Reply #29 - Apr 29th, 2021 at 5:01pm

Got an email from Telstra today - they're giving me a 'free' speed increase from 25/5 to 50/20 for the next 6 months.

Checked with Ookla Speedtest - yep, now on 50/20 (easy with fibre to the premises, of course).

The email finished by saying they'll contact me at the end of the 6 months to see if I want to keep the extra speed - which will then cost me more than the $75 a month I'm paying now, I'm sure.

Seeing as the increased speed doesn't really seem to make much difference when I'm browsing the Internet (I hadn't noticed anything different before I saw the email) and I hardly download anything, especially large files, I don't think I'll bother keeping it.

speed_001.jpg (48 KB | 1 )
speed_001.jpg

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print