Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Despite being Chinese, he was a valuable ANZAC (Read 772 times)
Brian Ross

Representative of me

Despite being Chinese, he was a valuable ANZAC
Jan 16th, 2021 at 9:45am

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Belgarion
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Despite being Chinese, he was a valuable ANZAC
Reply #1 - Jan 16th, 2021 at 10:28am

I have read John Hamilton's biography of Billy Sing, 'Gallipoli Sniper'. An excellent read. Seems obvious he was suffering from what today would be called PTSD and was never able to properly settle into civilian life. He also suffered lung problems from gas exposure in France and was a heavy drinker.

He died of a ruptured aortic aneurysm in his sleep at the age of 57. He had 5 shillings in his pocket, was owed 6 pounds in back wages and owned a hut on the Miclere goldfields worth 20 pounds. These were his total assets. There was no sign of his medals.

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Voltaire.....(possibly)

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Jan 16th, 2021 at 10:58am

Brian Ross wrote on Jan 16th, 2021 at 9:45am:

He doesn't look Chinese enough

This is the bloke you should be posting about, but stupid multiculturalism has spoiled all these stories, it's turned people against one another unnecessarily, even Jack couldn't help being racist in one of his latter interviews, such is the nature of the LibLabs multiculturalism, which breeds racism, it doesn't suppress it

Jack whinged about Anglos giving him a hard time, but my bet is it went a long way to bolstering his resolve to do good at becoming a commando, and finally on his assignments. I used to cop sh!t in the Army too, but just because it wasn't racist, because I'm Anglo, didn't make it any less sh!tty. Jack is to be admired, and if he was alive to day I'd say to him "You didn't do too bad for a Chinaman Jack", to get back at him for complaining about Anglos .... all in good humor

Jack Wong Sue, OAM, DCM, JP (12 September 1925 – 16 November 2009), also known as Jack Sue, was a Chinese Australian from Perth, Western Australia.[3] Wong Sue served as a member of the commando/special reconnaissance section, Z Special Unit,[4] during the Second World War and was decorated with the Distinguished Conduct Medal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Wong_Sue

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #3 - Jan 16th, 2021 at 11:08am

I served with a Chinese WO in the Army in the late 1970s.  His name was Jack Wong.  He always used to claim there were three ways to do things, "The Right way, the wrong way and the Wong way!"  He was a stern task master but was perfectly OK off duty.  His family had fled China during the Civil War and I'm unsure how they made it into Australia in the face of the White Australia Policy.  He was respected within the unit and was well liked.   He took part in the Racist banter but I suspect he was worried by it.  This was just post-Vietnam.  We still learnt Vietnam era tactics and often carried out mock attacks against "Vietnam Style" Villages.   Occasionally he was chosen to play the enemy.

The point is, without Multiculturalism, we would lose the benefit of such servicepeople.  Racism is stupid.  It achieves nothing except hatred of people based purely on prejudge and foolishness.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #4 - Jan 16th, 2021 at 11:25am

Bias_2012 wrote on Jan 16th, 2021 at 10:58am:

He doesn't look Chinese enough

This is the bloke you should be posting about, but stupid multiculturalism has spoiled all these stories, it's turned people against one another unnecessarily, even Jack couldn't help being racist in one of his latter interviews, such is the nature of the LibLabs multiculturalism, which breeds racism, it doesn't suppress it

Jack whinged about Anglos giving him a hard time, but my bet is it went a long way to bolstering his resolve to do good at becoming a commando, and finally on his assignments. I used to cop sh!t in the Army too, but just because it wasn't racist, because I'm Anglo, didn't make it any less sh!tty. Jack is to be admired, and if he was alive to day I'd say to him "You didn't do too bad for a Chinaman Jack", to get back at him for complaining about Anglos .... all in good humor

Jack Wong Sue, OAM, DCM, JP (12 September 1925 – 16 November 2009), also known as Jack Sue, was a Chinese Australian from Perth, Western Australia.[3] Wong Sue served as a member of the commando/special reconnaissance section, Z Special Unit,[4] during the Second World War and was decorated with the Distinguished Conduct Medal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Wong_Sue

I used to visit Jack Sue's diving shop in Perth when I was young.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Jan 16th, 2021 at 12:58pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jan 16th, 2021 at 11:08am:
The point is, without Multiculturalism, we would lose the benefit of such servicepeople.  Racism is stupid.  It achieves nothing except hatred of people based purely on prejudge and foolishness.

You're entitled to your opinion, but mostly.....

The LibLabs forced multiculturalism breeds racism, but the lust for money stabalizes the racism within the community. Without money, we'd all split up into different ethnic groups

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #6 - Jan 16th, 2021 at 2:33pm

Bias_2012 wrote on Jan 16th, 2021 at 12:58pm:
Brian Ross wrote on Jan 16th, 2021 at 11:08am:
The point is, without Multiculturalism, we would lose the benefit of such servicepeople.  Racism is stupid.  It achieves nothing except hatred of people based purely on prejudge and foolishness.

You're entitled to your opinion, but mostly.....

The LibLabs forced multiculturalism breeds racism, but the lust for money stabalizes the racism within the community. Without money, we'd all split up into different ethnic groups

And your evidence for that is, what exactly?  If it is merely your personal opinion it should be labelled as such.  Multiculturalism allows the various ethnic, religious and "racial" groups to live in harmony, each respecting each other's culture and beliefs.  And that is the key, harmony and respect.  Racism thrives on prejudice and hatred.  This discussion belongs elsewhere, I think.  So take it some place else.   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #7 - Jan 17th, 2021 at 1:28am

Aye, that was a long time ago ... and in a different country... and besides - the woman is dead...

Half-Chinese, Brian - Full Australian... get over it.  What racism are you discussing now? Are you suggesting that ethnics can't get a gig in the Australian military?  Or women?

I get the feeling you're out of touch there, son.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #8 - Jan 18th, 2021 at 5:44pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Jan 17th, 2021 at 1:28am:
Aye, that was a long time ago ... and in a different country... and besides - the woman is dead...

Half-Chinese, Brian - Full Australian... get over it.  What racism are you discussing now? Are you suggesting that ethnics can't get a gig in the Australian military?  Or women?

I am discussing the past treatment of ethnic people in the Australian military, Graps.   Time to face the music, they weren't respected and weren't recruited and so Australia lost out on their service.  Once they were in, they found they were treated exactly like all other sailors/soldiers/airpeople.  Time to acknowledge the past problems and move on and make sure the same errors are not made again. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Jan 18th, 2021 at 8:33pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jan 18th, 2021 at 5:44pm:

I am discussing the past treatment of ethnic people in the Australian military, Graps.   Time to face the music, they weren't respected and weren't recruited and so Australia lost out on their service.  Once they were in, they found they were treated exactly like all other sailors/soldiers/airpeople.  Time to acknowledge the past problems and move on and make sure the same errors are not made again. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

How would the ADF prevent a soldier who is an Arab or black muslim from engaging in a green on blue attack on the rifle range or on the battle field? Does the ADF have preventative measures in place to stop them before they happen?

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #10 - Jan 18th, 2021 at 9:03pm

Bias_2012 wrote on Jan 18th, 2021 at 8:33pm:
Brian Ross wrote on Jan 18th, 2021 at 5:44pm:

How would the ADF prevent a soldier who is an Arab or black muslim from engaging in a green on blue attack on the rifle range or on the battle field? Does the ADF have preventative measures in place to stop them before they happen?

They have this little thing.  It is called "discipline".   Soldiers are schooled to be well behaved on the Range and on the Battlefield.  They obey orders.  It is drilled into them.  Any soldier that is seen to be having problems is counselled and watched.  No Australian soldier would be a problem, no matter what their religion was because they are soldiers, first and foremost.   
Your attempt at trolling has been noted

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Jan 18th, 2021 at 9:43pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jan 18th, 2021 at 9:03pm:

Oh I see, when you are asked legitimate questions about issues of concern, you call it trolling

Out of all the ethnic soldiers, there's three or four groups I'd be concerned about for green on blue events. They'd be Arab and black African muslims, Afghani and Iraqi muslims. I hope the ADF does risk assessments

In recent years Aussie diggers have lost their lives in green on blue events. It could happen again, even under different circumstances to the first events

IP Logged

Brian Ross

Representative of me

Reply #12 - Jan 18th, 2021 at 10:05pm

Bias_2012 wrote on Jan 18th, 2021 at 9:43pm:
Brian Ross wrote on Jan 18th, 2021 at 9:03pm:

Oh I see, when you are asked legitimate questions about issues of concern, you call it trolling

Out of all the ethnic soldiers, there's three or four groups I'd be concerned about for green on blue events. They'd be Arab and black African muslims, Afghani and Iraqi muslims. I hope the ADF does risk assessments

In recent years Aussie diggers have lost their lives in green on blue events. It could happen again, even under different circumstances to the first events

I have served with Vietnamese, Chinese, Muslim, Greek, Italian, Yugoslav, British, Indigenous Australian and white Australian soldiers, Bias.  None of them have been a problem.  All were first and foremost, Australian soldiers.  All swore an oath or gave an affirmation that they owed their allegiance to the Government of Australia and the Queen.  All were faithful to that oath.  Each soldier is assessed as to their suitability when recruited.  It hasn't gone wrong yet.

Blue on Green incidents have occurred on Operations in other countries with soldiers from differing nationalities.  They were unfortunate but the perpetrators were not Australians, they were not well disciplined and they were not well behaved.   They haven't occurred for seven years.  Surely that indicates something even to you?  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #13 - Jan 18th, 2021 at 11:06pm

Your premise "Despite being Chinese" is racist. It reeks of a belief that the Chinese are inferior.

You have exposed yourself, Brian.

It is amazing that racists who try to hide their bigotry usually expose their bigotry carelessly with their own words.
« Last Edit: Jan 18th, 2021 at 11:56pm by Laugh till you cry »  

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print