Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Clive Palmer Will Not Contest WA State Election (Read 391 times)
whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Clive Palmer Will Not Contest WA State Election
Jan 12th, 2021 at 7:26am

Clive Palmer says his United Australia Party will not contest WA state election

ABC News
January 11 2020

Queensland billionaire Clive Palmer says his United Australia Party will not contest the WA state election in March.   Smiley

Key points:
Clive Palmer says he'll also drop a defamation case against the Premier
The Premier's office called on him to withdraw "all his legal actions"
WA Liberal leader Zak Kirkup has welcomed Mr Palmer's decisions
In a statement released on Sunday, Mr Palmer said his party would not field any candidates and that he would be withdrawing a defamation case against Premier Mark McGowan.

Mr McGowan's office said it was yet to received any notice of the claims having been removed.

Mr Palmer's decision comes after United Australia Party (UAP) failed to win a single seat at the Queensland state election in October, and after he lost a legal bid in November to have WA's hard border deemed unconstitutional.

In his statement, Mr Palmer said Mr McGowan could "breathe easy" knowing his party would not be standing. 

A spokeswoman for Mark McGowan said Mr Palmer had not ruled out running a negative ad campaign against the Government.(ABC News)
"Mark McGowan must be under enormous pressure so I don't want to cause him any more stress during the festive season," he said.

"The WA Premier has repeatedly attacked me and still faces defamation actions. I have had my lawyers write to him over Christmas saying that I will remove those actions even though everyone knows he is guilty.

"Christmas is a time for forgiveness and mercy walks hand in hand with justice.

"The Liberal Party in WA has the chance to be better than it has been and stand on its own feet."

A spokeswoman for Mr McGowan released a statement saying West Australians would "never forget that Clive Palmer tried to pull down the border against health advice and is still trying to take the state for $30 billion".

"The Liberal Party sided with Clive Palmer and now he will do whatever he can to support the Liberals and Nationals at the election," the statement said.

"Clive Palmer [has] not ruled out spending millions of dollars running a negative advertising campaign against the State Government, similar to his previous ads Western Australians had to endure."

The spokeswoman also said Mr Palmer should withdraw "all his legal actions against WA and the Premier".

Liberals 'won't be taking' Palmer help
WA Liberal Party leader Zak Kirkup said while his party had done deals in previous elections with the UAP, he was glad the party would not contest the election.

"I think it's important that Mr Palmer and any other shallow millionaire who has too much time or money on their hands doesn't try and use the WA democracy as a plaything," he said.

"The Liberal Party won't be taking any money or support from him and we hope every other political party in WA makes the same commitments so that we can show Mr Palmer the reality that he isn't welcome in our state."

Mr Kirkup said he was also in support of Mr Palmer's intention to drop his defamation action against the Premier.

"What we see from the likes of Clive Palmer is continual hot air and bluster and very little substance, so I welcome Clive Palmer's continual withdrawal from West Australian and I hope Australian politics," he said.

"This is what we expect from Clive. He says one thing and often does another. It's up to us here as the major political parties to stand united against Mr Palmer's influence."

IP Logged

whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Re: Clive Palmer Will Not Contest WA State Election
Reply #1 - Jan 12th, 2021 at 7:30am

Will labor get back in and win another state election?.   Smiley

IP Logged

Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Reply #2 - Jan 12th, 2021 at 7:45am

whiteknight wrote on Jan 12th, 2021 at 7:30am:
Will labor get back in and win another state election?.   Smiley

I'm sure they will, even if there's a COVID-19 outbreak here in WA (I hope there isn't).

Quote:
"Clive Palmer [has] not ruled out spending millions of dollars running a negative advertising campaign against the State Government, similar to his previous ads Western Australians had to endure."

"Endure" was definitely the right description with Clive's nauseating one and two full page yellow background newspaper ads and the seemingly never ending TV ads we had a few months back regarding WA's "hard border".

But, hey - if Clive wants to waste his millions of dollars again then good luck to him but it would be better if he donated his wasted advertising dollars to help the homeless instead (and pigs might fly).

"Masks are sand in the gears of the economy" - some f-wit pollie or big business CEO.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #3 - Jan 12th, 2021 at 9:14am

Every time I read 'Clive Palmer' I wonder why this is news......

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #4 - Jan 12th, 2021 at 11:41am

That chump Clive should move to India.  Wink

Speaking of Clive ...

I love this:

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Jan 12th, 2021 at 11:47am

So why is this in Federal Politics? Roll Eyes

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Jan 12th, 2021 at 2:42pm

Captain Nemo wrote on Jan 12th, 2021 at 11:41am:
That chump Clive should move to India.  Wink

Speaking of Clive ...

I love this:

Australias very own version of Trump... Smiley

IP Logged

Lee King

Reply #7 - Jan 12th, 2021 at 2:43pm

lee wrote on Jan 12th, 2021 at 11:47am:

Why does anybody even care what that fat fukker does! Grin Grin

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Jan 12th, 2021 at 2:52pm

Not me and I'm in WA.

IP Logged

macman
Gold Member

Australian Politics

australia
Reply #9 - Jan 13th, 2021 at 7:19pm

In his statement, Mr Palmer said Mr McGowan could "breathe easy" knowing his party would not be standing.

Are you serious fatty? Or are you on drugs?  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Ayn Marx
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South of Australia
Reply #10 - Jan 13th, 2021 at 7:54pm

Lee King wrote on Jan 12th, 2021 at 2:43pm:
lee wrote on Jan 12th, 2021 at 11:47am:

Why does anybody even care what that fat fukker does! Grin Grin

Because of the millions he still owes former employees etc?

The Human Race is Insane

IP Logged

whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Reply #11 - Jan 19th, 2021 at 8:08am

One Nation struggling to field 'good candidates' ahead of WA election: Hanson

January 18, 2021
WA Today.

One Nation's hopes of a strong showing at the March election are dwindling, with preference deals off the table and leader Pauline Hanson revealing her party was struggling to field candidates in lower house seats.  Smiley

Speaking to Radio 6PR's Liam Bartlett on Monday morning, Ms Hanson said the party would field candidates for the upper house but they were finding it "extremely hard" to get good candidates for lower house seats.

Pauline Hanson will not benefit from a Liberal preference deal at the upcoming state election.   Smiley

"Everyone is having trouble getting candidates. I think people are backing away from getting into politics because it is not easy being a politician and a lot of people feel its not for them," she said.

Ms Hanson's comments came the same day WA Liberal Party state director Sam Calabrese ruled out a preference deal with One Nation.

The Liberals struck a deal ahead of the 2017 election that put One Nation candidates ahead of Labor on how-to-vote cards in the lower house in exchange for One Nation appearing ahead of the Nationals in the upper house.

RELATED ARTICLE
Pauline Hanson during her live crosses at the Melvilee Bowling Club tonight after the Western Australian State election. Pic Tony McDonough . Saturday 11th March 2017
COMMENT
Liberals poorly misjudged the anger with voters over its deal with One Nation
The deal drew widespread criticism of former premier Colin Barnett ahead of his defeat, but was crucial in helping One Nation secure three upper house seats.

Ms Hanson was unfazed about the Liberals ruling out another deal.

"The Liberal party have been like this up and down over the years, the whole fact is last time we did a preference deal with the Liberal party in the lower house I was handing out how to vote tickets at the polling booth and people were angry and said, 'When you did a preference deal with the Liberal party you lost my vote'," she said.

"We're doing split ticket and the voters will decide where they put their preferences. It is not up to the Liberal party, it is up to the voters themselves."

WA Liberals leader Zak Kirkup said he was pleased where the party had landed and welcomed the decision to not preference One Nation.

"We want to work closely with the National Party, who are our partners in government, and that’s where our focus will be," he said.

"There’s a lot of commonality there. We both know Labor has ignored the bush and the regions."

WA Premier Mark McGowan said One Nation was a divisive party and Labor would put them last on their how to vote cards, urging the Liberal party to do the same.

The Liberals' decision follows a similar decision to rule out any deals with Clive Palmer, which ended in an extraordinary spray from the mining magnate over Mr Kirkup's fitness to run the party earlier this month.

One Nation gained 4.9 per cent of the primary vote in the 2017 election but its influence in Australian politics has waned over the past year.

Even without a sweet preference deal and strong candidates, the party will also face an uphill battle in WA to cut through the surge of popularity Labor Premier Mark McGowan has experienced throughout the COVID-19 pandemic.

To add salt to the wound, Ms Hanson revealed she would not visit the state ahead of the election because of parliamentary commitments and quarantine requirements in WA.

"It's so unpredictable and I can't afford that time," she said.

IP Logged

Mix_Master
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Jan 20th, 2021 at 7:52am

macman wrote on Jan 13th, 2021 at 7:19pm:

Are you serious fatty? Or are you on drugs?  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

He could have had a result like he did in QLD (and which gave rise to the classic IKEA ad).

"Geez Clive...$60 million, and not a single seat?"
Should've come to IKEA"

Palmer_2.gif (70 KB | 3 )
Palmer_2.gif

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print