Thermomix (Read 1334 times)
Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Thermomix
Jan 6th, 2021 at 2:24pm

What are your views on the Thermomix

My daughter reckons it is marvellous although I think the cost is ridiculous at around $2400

Apparently it connects via your wifi and downloads the recipe into the machine where it gives you a blow by blow instruction on what to add and when includes weighing the ingredients and advising you when you have added enough. Then moves on to next ingredient instructions

BAN ALL THESE ABO SITES RECOGNITIONS.

ALL AUSTRALIA IS FOR ALL AUSTRALIANS!

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Thermomix
Reply #1 - Jan 6th, 2021 at 5:36pm

Redmond Neck wrote on Jan 6th, 2021 at 2:24pm:

My daughter reckons it is marvellous although I think the cost is ridiculous at around $2400

Apparently it connects via your wifi and downloads the recipe into the machine where it gives you a blow by blow instruction on what to add and when includes weighing the ingredients and advising you when you have added enough. Then moves on to next ingredient instructions

if only it did the ironing...sigh!

I read where they were blowing up   so it put me off for life.....have you had a meal out of it yet????   thats the real test

IP Logged

Super Nova
Gold Member

Everywhere
Reply #2 - Jan 7th, 2021 at 5:41am

We have one.

The wife loves it.

It is very impressive and the things you can make in no time at restaurant grade are remarkable. The online recipes automatically connected to the machine is great.

Highly recommend it.

Truly the best thing since sliced bread.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #3 - Jan 7th, 2021 at 8:41am

Red, you mentioned you have type 2 diabetes and some excess weight.

If I made a diet plan for you to help with the above, just about nothing would require a Thermomix

IBI

IP Logged

Ayn Marx
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South of Australia
Reply #4 - Jan 7th, 2021 at 9:22am

Yes, over priced and difficult to get serviced once the warrantee runs out. The weird franchise set up can present problems if and when the person you purchased yours from leaves the organisation. However that overpriced piece of German technology is a joy to use. You need to be very skeptical too about the recipes Thermomix provide due to the obscene amounts of sugar Germans are addicted to. For instance, I cut the amount of sugar in their custard recipe to a third of what’s recommended. But hey, I still wouldn’t be without mine. The Chinese made so called equivalents are utter crap!

The Human Race is Insane

IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Reply #5 - Jan 7th, 2021 at 9:31am

Gordon wrote on Jan 7th, 2021 at 8:41am:
Red, you mentioned you have type 2 diabetes and some excess weight.

If I made a diet plan for you to help with the above, just about nothing would require a Thermomix

They are out of my price range even if I was interested, which I am not, but thanks Gordon.

Was just interested in peoples thoughts on them after my daughter was raving on about hers.

BAN ALL THESE ABO SITES RECOGNITIONS.

ALL AUSTRALIA IS FOR ALL AUSTRALIANS!

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #6 - Jan 7th, 2021 at 12:27pm

Ayn Marx wrote on Jan 7th, 2021 at 9:22am:
Yes, over priced and difficult to get serviced once the warrantee runs out. The weird franchise set up can present problems if and when the person you purchased yours from leaves the organisation. However that overpriced piece of German technology is a joy to use. You need to be very skeptical too about the recipes Thermomix provide due to the obscene amounts of sugar Germans are addicted to. For instance, I cut the amount of sugar in their custard recipe to a third of what’s recommended. But hey, I still wouldn’t be without mine. The Chinese made so called equivalents are utter crap!

I've spoken to a bunch of people who've bought one, including two rellies and I've decided there is a thing called the Thermomix effect. A lot of people who'd buy one are people who've either never made much of an effort in the kitchen or are lapsed cooks.

So they get one, the consultant comes to their house and sets it up and gets them going, teaches them a bunch of new recipes and they end up buying ingredients and buying stuff they normally wouldn't and then rave about how good their new diet is.

Sure, it makes some of the process very easy but I'd suggest the effect actually comes from the effort they're putting in to justify the purchase of a $2k machine and all the new and different ingredients they're now buying.  Makes sense right?

Personally, a thermomix isn't much help for the kind of food I like.
Grilled or BBQ chicken,fish,chicken,lamb and steamed veg with the least amount of human intervention as possible.

I'd prefer to put that 2k towards buying extra high quality ingredients like farm rooster, the legs are about 3 times longer than a supermarket chicken. It's slightly tough but has such an intense chicken flavour. Beef, we get grass fed from Rangers Valley. Fish, love the line caught King fish and hawkesbury river squid.

The other day we had a lunch at home of Australian prosciutto, buffalo motzarella, vine ripened tomatoes and a few other deli goodies. If anyone put a thermomix anywhere near that stuff and I'd be forced to bash them over the head with it.

IBI

IP Logged

Super Nova
Gold Member

Everywhere
Reply #7 - Jan 8th, 2021 at 12:55am

Just occurred to me, it got used alot in the first month, haven't seen it used in the last 3 months... so probably a really expensive kitchen fad here in my house.  Sad

IP Logged

Ayn Marx
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South of Australia
Reply #8 - Jan 8th, 2021 at 7:13pm

Gordon wrote on Jan 7th, 2021 at 12:27pm:

I've spoken to a bunch of people who've bought one, including two rellies and I've decided there is a thing called the Thermomix effect. A lot of people who'd buy one are people who've either never made much of an effort in the kitchen or are lapsed cooks.

So they get one, the consultant comes to their house and sets it up and gets them going, teaches them a bunch of new recipes and they end up buying ingredients and buying stuff they normally wouldn't and then rave about how good their new diet is.

Sure, it makes some of the process very easy but I'd suggest the effect actually comes from the effort they're putting in to justify the purchase of a $2k machine and all the new and different ingredients they're now buying.  Makes sense right?

Grilled or BBQ chicken,fish,chicken,lamb and steamed veg with the least amount of human intervention as possible.

I'd prefer to put that 2k towards buying extra high quality ingredients like farm rooster, the legs are about 3 times longer than a supermarket chicken. It's slightly tough but has such an intense chicken flavour. Beef, we get grass fed from Rangers Valley. Fish, love the line caught King fish and hawkesbury river squid.

The other day we had a lunch at home of Australian prosciutto, buffalo motzarella, vine ripened tomatoes and a few other deli goodies. If anyone put a thermomix anywhere near that stuff and I'd be forced to bash them over the head with it.

Nonsense. Having worked as a chef for 11 years at the top of the Cuisine Novelle world  I can assure you one Thermomix is worth two apprectices in any commercial kitchen.
Yes , I understand the ‘least amount of human intervention with the best quality incredients' approach but there are numerous occasions, such as making a risotto, sponge cake, pate, volute sauce etc where traps can be avoided, time saved and quality achieved way above the same process slaved over manually.

As to grass fed beef I fully understand having been one of the first to airfright Tasmanian eye-fillets to Melbourne. We ended up suppling half of Melbourne’s top resturants with them. Now that I’m living in Tasmania I can pop down to my local butcher and  - - - you get the picture.
But take it from me, next time you have a spare $2000 you dont know what to do with, do yourself a favour and buy  - - - - - - - - - - -

The Human Race is Insane

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #9 - Jan 8th, 2021 at 7:27pm

Ayn Marx wrote on Jan 8th, 2021 at 7:13pm:

Nonsense. Having worked as a chef for 11 years at the top of the Cuisine Novelle world  I can assure you one Thermomix is worth two apprectices in any commercial kitchen.
Yes , I understand the ‘least amount of human intervention with the best quality incredients' approach but there are numerous occasions, such as making a risotto, sponge cake, pate, volute sauce etc where traps can be avoided, time saved and quality achieved way above the same process slaved over manually.

As to grass fed beef I fully understand having been one of the first to airfright Tasmanian eye-fillets to Melbourne. We ended up suppling half of Melbourne’s top resturants with them. Now that I’m living in Tasmania I can pop down to my local butcher and  - - - you get the picture.
But take it from me, next time you have a spare $2000 you dont know what to do with, do yourself a favour and buy  - - - - - - - - - - -

Sure, each to their own, but the things I (we) personally prefer to eat, the thermomix isn't going to help me one little bit.

I went to the fishmarkets today and amongst other stuff, I got some local line-caught squid. It was so fresh I reckon I could have eaten it sashimi. We did half with a very light batter deep fried and half on the bbq with lemon,coriander and chilly.

IBI

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #10 - Jan 8th, 2021 at 8:21pm

I know someone that thinks they are good. Never tried them but I prefer to cook myself.

Something I would think of trying for those long cooks like stews and curries is a thing I saw called the Billyboil

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Jan 9th, 2021 at 9:47am

Super Nova wrote on Jan 8th, 2021 at 12:55am:
Just occurred to me, it got used alot in the first month, haven't seen it used in the last 3 months... so probably a really expensive kitchen fad here in my house.  Sad

thats me I am sad to say.....I have the big fancy dishwasher  but mostly washup.. Sad.. some of these gadgets   are damn heavy as well....I have an ice cream thingy lurking in the back of my cupboard it came with the mixmaster I bought......never used it   because          it needs to go in the freezer for 15 bloody hours   before you use it......as if....

seriously who dreams up these things>>. Cry Cry

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Jan 9th, 2021 at 9:40pm

an ad for a new Kenwood mix master.....it comes with 20 attachments.... Smiley Smiley

only 20.. and still it doesnt do the ironing.. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

20 attachments  It didnt say it also comes with a cupboard to put them in.....damn!

IP Logged

Sophia
Gold Member

Reply #13 - Jan 11th, 2021 at 2:16pm

Although there are no doubt lazier people that don’t make efforts to cook much, and think the Themie will take up the slack...

But for me, who loves to cook and change recipes around...I finally did buy a Thermomix TM5 18 months ago and I’m impressed with the functions where it will weigh your ingredients to precision,  cook and stir, and turn off when done.
That’s a good thing for many whom may forget they had something on the stove top ... and many fires start from the kitchen!

I pay a yearly subscription of $49 to have access to many thousand world wide recipes!
Recently I made a gluten free chocolate cake! So yum!
And today, I made breadcrumbs in seconds, from bread rolls I dried out.
To make gluten free bread crumbs, it’s nicer from a gluten free bread you buy, as the gf commercial ones are not as nice.
I jar it up with label and date too.

It’s clean cooking and healthy too.
If you don’t like sugar in some recipes then use xylitol in place.

I had a friend that was undecided and said she doesn’t cook much, and since there’s only her and hubby at home now etc.
She did end up with a TM6 and had used it constantly and showing me her food on messenger!
Wow, she absolutely loves it and has made some new “favourites” with different meals.
I have to say I was surprised with her after all!

Back to my use of Thermomix... I have made both normal and gluten free pasta, where it kneads the doe in minutes, where it would normally take 20 minutes elbow juice!
I then get my pasta machine to make the spaghetti.
Hang it in the pasta wooden rack, and awaiting to be cooked.

Soups are amazing too!

It does take some understanding it and change of cooking habits in the kitchen... I think it’s the mini kitchen of the future.
Incredible world wide recipes that will blow your minds!

We have an evening every week where we go on zoom to watch our hostesses how to make stuff and answer questions.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print