freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: 5 pillars
Reply #15 - Jan 8th, 2021 at 10:35am

polite_gandalf wrote on Jan 7th, 2021 at 11:37am:
freediver wrote on Jan 6th, 2021 at 3:11pm:
Would it be fair to say that fighting and killing gets more coverage in the Quran than pillar 4?

fasting?

No, I don't think so.

First of all its not that simple - for example the coverage for "killing" would include commands not to kill, or instances where it is condemned - which I'm sure is not what you had in mind.

I'm pretty sure the commands to kill people would far outweigh the commands not to kill people. In any case, you should offer your excuses for the numbers after the numbers come in, not before. You could even count them separately.

Quote:
Secondly, as I have argued many times before, "fighting" is a loose term that can (and in the Quran usually does) mean a non-violent spiritual fight - typically with yourself.

I don't recall you ever making this argument. I have seen this argument for the term jihad, but all the references to fighting that I have seen are clear and unambiguous references to slaughtering the infidel.

Quote:
Fasting, like everything else in the 5 pillars, speaks to an internal, spiritual journey for the individual. Pretty much the exact opposite of the stereotype that speaks to a materialistic and political campaign to conquer and rape and pillage. Thats the key point I'm trying to convey.

Don't care. You tried to argue that the 5 pillars can somehow replace the Quran or serve as a proxy because they reflect how much attention is given to them in the Quran. This is just another example of you attempting to misrepresent Islam to non-Muslims. Stop changing your "key point" every time your previous key point is shown to be bogus.

So, are you conceding that the Quran does instruct Muslims to fight, kill, die etc in the name of Islam more often than one of the five pillars, or are you pretending that all those instructions to slaughter the infidel might (if we don't read the Quran) actually be instructions not to kill people, or to make great slaughter in the land of our inner demons?

Or are you just telling us that understanding what Islam is really about is too complicated for you and you want us to do it for you?

polite_gandalf wrote on Jan 7th, 2021 at 3:14pm:
The authority is not in question Frank.

It is the Quran.

Yet you attempt to discard it and replace it with the 5 pillars, apparently based on popularity rather than religious authority, and an obviously bogus link to the Quran.
« Last Edit: Jan 8th, 2021 at 11:03am by freediver »  

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #16 - Jan 8th, 2021 at 11:24am

From the other thread:

polite_gandalf wrote on Jan 7th, 2021 at 11:17am:
freediver wrote on Jan 6th, 2021 at 7:00pm:
It's a recipe for being a Muslim. You could actually satisfy all 5 tenets without believing anything. Perhaps that's the point.

Interesting idea FD.

Perhaps you could elaborate by explaining exactly how the first tenet - which is literally belief in not only the existence, but the oneness of God - can be achieved "without believing anything"?

By reciting the shahada. I'm sure plenty of people have had to do it in order to avoid your "tough titties, off with their heads" comrades. Only to find that surviving as a Muslim in a Muslim land isn't much better.

Do you really not understand the point that the 5 pillars are entirely functionary, like most of Islam? They are certainly not tenets, though I concede that the first one is at least a reference to one. So why try to misrepresent them as such?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #17 - Jan 8th, 2021 at 2:27pm

freediver wrote on Jan 8th, 2021 at 11:24am:
By reciting the shahada. I'm sure plenty of people have had to do it in order to avoid your "tough titties, off with their heads" comrades. Only to find that surviving as a Muslim in a Muslim land isn't much better.

I'm obviously only talking about genuine believing muslims.

freediver wrote on Jan 8th, 2021 at 11:24am:
Do you really not understand the point that the 5 pillars are entirely functionary, like most of Islam? They are certainly not tenets

No, really I don't.

Please explain.

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #18 - Jan 8th, 2021 at 2:33pm

Israel & Islam unite (against Britain's Christianity - the last to fall after Italy, France & Germany).

Israel+Islam=Istari  (I-star-I: the Star between the Pillars of Heaven)

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #19 - Jan 8th, 2021 at 3:01pm

freediver wrote on Jan 8th, 2021 at 10:35am:
all the references to fighting that I have seen are clear and unambiguous references to slaughtering the infidel.

Thats because your entire knowledge of the Quran consists of chapter 9. Which is actually just one of 114. That and the misquotes that jihadwatch and moses spoonfeeds to you.

Don't care. You tried to argue that the 5 pillars can somehow replace the Quran or serve as a proxy because they reflect how much attention is given to them in the Quran. This is just another example of you attempting to misrepresent Islam to non-Muslims. Stop changing your "key point" every time your previous key point is shown to be bogus.

The 5 pillars really only make sense in totality - as part of a system for expressing your spiritual commitment to submitting to the one God. Fasting is just one of those expressions. It was your idea to isolate it and give the misleading impression that when its taken on its own, its actually not that significant - not mine. Of course, fasting itself is important in Islam, and that importance is justified by sufficient weighting in the Quran. But it only makes sense in the context of the wider system of submission. For example, if you find yourself wavering and giving in to your earthly desires, fasting is one of the key ways of regaining your self control. And this helps you refocus on the importance of belief in the one God, concentrate more on prayer, dispensing with earthly possessions through charity, etc... Of course fasting just for the sake of fasting makes no sense.

Yet you attempt to discard it and replace it with the 5 pillars,

Not true.

The 5 pillars obviously means nothing if it is not an accurate reflection of what is contained in the Quran.

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

moses
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - Jan 8th, 2021 at 3:04pm

Ayn Marx wrote Reply #12 - Yesterday at 7:58pm:
Quote:
If The Enlightenment hadn’t shocked the church into the modern age Christians would still be persecuting anyone who disobeyed it's various sects vicious ‘moral' edicts.

IF ? The enlightenment did occur, no ifs or buts required. So why go on with all that happened before by people who were disobeying the teachings of Christ?

Their deeds are done and dusted. The Bible tells us that these people and churches are / were not Christians / Christian.

The Enlightenment did happen Christianity changed, there is ongoing change and denouncing of behaviour as most of todays' Christians seek to keep Christs' teachings.

Quote:
Give any religion sufficient control of government and it will run amok.
With God on your side, what’s to stop you?

I believe that Christian countries are all secular.

Quote:
And don’t come that crap about Christ’s teachings.

The teachings of Christ are the ultimate supreme authority of Christianity.

Quote:
Until and unless all of the Christian world dumps the Old Testament and most Pauls obscene edicts you lot are in no position to preach morality to any of us.

Already done 2021 years ago Ayn, with the death of the Messiah on the cross.

His death ushered in the era where mankind is no longer justified by the barbaric deeds of the law.

Instead Christ bears the burden for all the sins of those who have faith in Christ.

E.G.:

Romans 10:4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.

Hebrews 9:12 Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.

Romans 3:20  Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

Romans 3:28  Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.

Galations 2:16  Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

Galations 3:11  But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.

Quote:
And before anyone imagines I’m letting the Qur’an off the hook, yes that document consists of concentrated evil. However, to contrast that so called Holy Book with the Bible in an attempt to paint the church as pure as snow is no more than dishonest, theological sophistry.

You are trying to create smokescreens to hide the fact that committing human rights atrocities is not allowed by the doctrine of Christ (the supreme authority of Christianity).

Thieving lying pedophilia rape torture and mass slaughter are all sanctioned by the doctrine of muhammad (the supreme authority of islam).

muslims are committing these atrocities on a daily basis around the globe, they and the doctrine of islam are the trouble.

It's got noting to do with Christianity at all.

So why the fake outrage and fraudulent smokescreens about the doctrine of Christ?

Why are you trying to ignore the real problem of, daily global islamic atrocities?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #21 - Jan 8th, 2021 at 6:47pm

Quote:
I'm obviously only talking about genuine believing muslims.

Yes Gandalf. The genuinely believing ones believe. But do you have a point? Or was it lost in your hubris?

Quote:
Thats because your entire knowledge of the Quran consists of chapter 9. Which is actually just one of 114. That and the misquotes that jihadwatch and moses spoonfeeds to you.

None of this is a barrier to you giving a straight answer Gandalf. Does the Quran talk about fighting and killing more than it talks about pillar 4?

Quote:
The 5 pillars really only make sense in totality - as part of a system for expressing your spiritual commitment to submitting to the one God. Fasting is just one of those expressions. It was your idea to isolate it and give the misleading impression that when its taken on its own, its actually not that significant - not mine.

You lie Gandalf. This is what you said:

Quote:
I believe they are based on what is most emphasised in the holy texts of Islam.

How is it possible to base them on what is most emphasised in the Quran, while ignoring how much each of them is emphasised? You are replacing what the Quran actually says with your own emphasis. You are using the 5 pillars to misrepresent the Quran to non-Muslims, starting with describing them as tenets.

Quote:
Of course, fasting itself is important in Islam, and that importance is justified by sufficient weighting in the Quran.

You lie again Gandalf. How many times is fasting mentioned in the Quran?

Quote:
Not true.

That is exactly what I quoted you doing in the OP.

Quote:
The 5 pillars obviously means nothing if it is not an accurate reflection of what is contained in the Quran.

By you just finished explaining why it does not have to be an accurate reflection of the Quran if you can BS your way through it instead.

Which is, of course, why you refuse to even consider how many times fasting is referred to in the Quran. You know without even looking that you are lying.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #22 - Jan 8th, 2021 at 10:04pm

The Five Pillars: Kill, kill, kill, kill, kill the infidel Australian.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Jan 8th, 2021 at 10:19pm

Ayn Marx wrote on Jan 7th, 2021 at 7:58pm:
If The Enlightenment hadn’t shocked the church into the modern age Christians would still be persecuting anyone who disobeyed it's various sects vicious ‘moral' edicts. Give any religion sufficient control of government and it will run amok.
With God on your side, what’s to stop you? And don’t come that crap about Christ’s teachings. Until and unless all of the Christian world dumps the Old Testament and most Pauls obscene edicts you lot are in no position to preach morality to any of us.

Nonsense. By the time of the Enlightenment Christianity already started its Reformation and it is ongoing.

"Depictions of Thomas Carlyle and David Hume in the Scottish Portrait Gallery will be altered to make it clear they were horrible racist bastards, apparently. All of the Scottish Enlightenment thinkers are under review, including Adam Smith, who thought that people living beyond Europe were largely savage.

I am not sure how they will alter the bust of Carlyle — perhaps chisel a swastika on his forehead? Carlyle was certainly rightish on many issues: you don’t get Friedrich Nietzsche in your fan club if you’re woke. But when I started reading the chap, back in the late 1970s, it was for the witty and sharp Sartor Resartus that I loved him, and his essays on heroes and hero worship. ‘All that mankind has done, thought, gained or been: it is lying as in magic preservation in the pages of books.’

Perhaps, Tom, old chum — but not for long now. The Year Zero lunatics are busy ripping the pages out, possessed by an absolutist monomania that renders them inchoate with rage when they discover that people living 200 or 300 years ago somehow possessed opinions which differ from their own. James Watt had a few interests in slave plant-ations, so let us expunge the steam engine and thus the Industrial Revolution from history. This cancelling of history is, aside from being an expression of almost exquisite stupidity, a religiously inspired pogrom more damaging than anything we have done since the looting of the monasteries. Every figure from our past, every achievement, seen through one profoundly warped lens.

In the USA right now they’re getting Homer kicked off the curriculum and pulling Upton Sinclair and Nathaniel Hawthorne from the libraries. One might have hoped that Scotland, with its fierce and perhaps overweening national pride, would have been more protective of its astonishing history.
Scotland’s brilliance, its Enlightenment, was occasioned by literacy rates which were better than anywhere on God’s Earth. That is why those great thinkers suddenly sprung forth with such fecundity from a population which in 1700 numbered only a million or so.

And the reason for the commitment to literacy, for ensuring every child had the chance of an education, was Protestantism. As soon as Martin Luther insisted that it was the right and duty of every worshipper to have a personal relationship with God and to be able to read the Bible, literacy flourished. Germany, the Netherlands, Scandinavia (during a time when the literacy rate in Roman Catholic Belgium actually reduced) — wherever Protestantism took hold, literacy very quickly followed and then, a generation later, untold affluence. In Scotland the first local school tax in the world was introduced in 1633 and strengthened in 1646. Protestantism may go some way to explaining why the outcomes for British children of an African heritage vary so wildly — why those who come from countries which, through Protestant missions, evolved a respect for education, such as Ghana, Nigeria and Kenya, fare better in school than those in countries that were spared such ministrations, such as Somalia or the DRC. It certainly explains the differing success of the American colonies: Canada and the USA in the north, settled by Protestants, and now the most prosperous countries in the world — and that area below Brownsville, Texas, which was not settled by Protestants, the many lands of banditry, banana republics, dictators and hyper-inflation.

Aside from literacy, Protestantism engendered other beneficial concepts, now almost universally derided. Self-denial, diligence, hard work, obedience, quiescence in the face of authority and, more crucial even than these, patience. Abide a while, your reward will come later: a central tenet of Protestantism. Sociologists have devised a map (based upon worldwide employees of IBM) which charts the national proclivity for ‘patience’. At the top come the countries where Protestantism took hold. They are also, without exception, the world’s most successful countries. The most patient country in the world, according to this survey? Sweden."

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-age-of-de-enlightenment#

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #24 - Jan 9th, 2021 at 1:37am

5 Pillars originated in a Sheik's Harem.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Ayn Marx
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South of Australia
Reply #25 - Jan 9th, 2021 at 9:34am

Quote:
Nonsense. By the time of the Enlightenment Christianity already started its Reformation and it is ongoing.

"Depictions of Thomas Carlyle and David Hume in the Scottish Portrait Gallery will be altered to make it clear they were horrible racist bastards, apparently. All of the Scottish Enlightenment thinkers are under review, including Adam Smith, who thought that people living beyond Europe were largely savage.

I am not sure how they will alter the bust of Carlyle — perhaps chisel a swastika on his forehead? Carlyle was certainly rightish on many issues: you don’t get Friedrich Nietzsche in your fan club if you’re woke. But when I started reading the chap, back in the late 1970s, it was for the witty and sharp Sartor Resartus that I loved him, and his essays on heroes and hero worship. ‘All that mankind has done, thought, gained or been: it is lying as in magic preservation in the pages of books.’

Perhaps, Tom, old chum — but not for long now. The Year Zero lunatics are busy ripping the pages out, possessed by an absolutist monomania that renders them inchoate with rage when they discover that people living 200 or 300 years ago somehow possessed opinions which differ from their own. James Watt had a few interests in slave plant-ations, so let us expunge the steam engine and thus the Industrial Revolution from history. This cancelling of history is, aside from being an expression of almost exquisite stupidity, a religiously inspired pogrom more damaging than anything we have done since the looting of the monasteries. Every figure from our past, every achievement, seen through one profoundly warped lens.

In the USA right now they’re getting Homer kicked off the curriculum and pulling Upton Sinclair and Nathaniel Hawthorne from the libraries. One might have hoped that Scotland, with its fierce and perhaps overweening national pride, would have been more protective of its astonishing history.
Scotland’s brilliance, its Enlightenment, was occasioned by literacy rates which were better than anywhere on God’s Earth. That is why those great thinkers suddenly sprung forth with such fecundity from a population which in 1700 numbered only a million or so.

And the reason for the commitment to literacy, for ensuring every child had the chance of an education, was Protestantism. As soon as Martin Luther insisted that it was the right and duty of every worshipper to have a personal relationship with God and to be able to read the Bible, literacy flourished. Germany, the Netherlands, Scandinavia (during a time when the literacy rate in Roman Catholic Belgium actually reduced) — wherever Protestantism took hold, literacy very quickly followed and then, a generation later, untold affluence. In Scotland the first local school tax in the world was introduced in 1633 and strengthened in 1646. Protestantism may go some way to explaining why the outcomes for British children of an African heritage vary so wildly — why those who come from countries which, through Protestant missions, evolved a respect for education, such as Ghana, Nigeria and Kenya, fare better in school than those in countries that were spared such ministrations, such as Somalia or the DRC. It certainly explains the differing success of the American colonies: Canada and the USA in the north, settled by Protestants, and now the most prosperous countries in the world — and that area below Brownsville, Texas, which was not settled by Protestants, the many lands of banditry, banana republics, dictators and hyper-inflation.

Aside from literacy, Protestantism engendered other beneficial concepts, now almost universally derided. Self-denial, diligence, hard work, obedience, quiescence in the face of authority and, more crucial even than these, patience. Abide a while, your reward will come later: a central tenet of Protestantism. Sociologists have devised a map (based upon worldwide employees of IBM) which charts the national proclivity for ‘patience’. At the top come the countries where Protestantism took hold. They are also, without exception, the world’s most successful countries. The most patient country in the world, according to this survey? Sweden."

I’m no longer surprised when claims such as yours are made, claims that attempt to whitewash whatever branch of christianity. To suggest protestantism’s rise was somehow accompanied by a separation of church and state is beyond delusional. Granted the reformation attacked the more venal aspects of Roman Catholicism, it’s corruption and power. In so many way’s you’re attepting to put the chicken before the egg. Quiescence in the face of authority?  The Oxford definition gives us :-
quiescence
Noun
inactivity or dormancy.

"this method has been shown to induce sleep-like quiescence in adult animals"

If the reformation had been anything like 'quiescent' the massive turmoil the it caused would not have had the far reaching effect it had on European politics. Europe became divided along confessional, as well as territorial lines. The religious turmoil led to warfare within most states and between many.
I'm not however unaware of the postive effects claimed for the reformation such as literacy being encouraged with the rejection of Latin as the only 'bible language' etc.
Self-denial, diligence, hard work, obedience, and patience may have been postive outcomes of the reformation but they have nothing to do with the separation of church and state.

The Human Race is Insane

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #26 - Jan 9th, 2021 at 10:08am

Quote:
I’m no longer surprised when claims such as yours are made, claims that attempt to whitewash whatever branch of christianity. To suggest protestantism’s rise was somehow accompanied by a separation of church and state is beyond delusional.

Church and state were separated for the first few centuries of Christianity. The modern concept arose in Christian Europe. Europeans were just as concerned about the state corrupting the church as they were about the church corrupting the state. This happened in Europe rather than the middle east or north africa because there is no fundamental opposition to it within Christian doctrine. In fact, there is support.

The mistake people like you make is confusing medieval European power structures with Christianity, and seeing the separation of Church and state as a victory over the religion, rather than a victory for the religion.

Christianity is the complete opposite to Islam on this and other issues, which is why the eradication of slavery happened in Europe and spread from there, and why the separation of church and state happened in Europe and spread from there. It was European interference that lead to ending (almost) of slavery in Muslim lands, and we have a long way to go before we see separation of church and state there.

IP Logged

Ayn Marx
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South of Australia
Reply #27 - Jan 9th, 2021 at 11:16am

freediver wrote on Jan 9th, 2021 at 10:08am:
Quote:
I’m no longer surprised when claims such as yours are made, claims that attempt to whitewash whatever branch of christianity. To suggest protestantism’s rise was somehow accompanied by a separation of church and state is beyond delusional.

Church and state were separated for the first few centuries of Christianity. The modern concept arose in Christian Europe. Europeans were just as concerned about the state corrupting the church as they were about the church corrupting the state. This happened in Europe rather than the middle east or north africa because there is no fundamental opposition to it within Christian doctrine. In fact, there is support.

Thanks for the lesson in church history.
However, when you throw around the phrase 'Christine doctrine’ you’re throwing a rock at a wasp’s nest. Which particular doctrine? Such covers a multitude of sins many of them having little if anything to do with Christ’s teachings (as we have them).
I get tired of this but I need to repeat every branch of Christianity that’s yet to dump the Old Testament is mired in theological mud. Not that the Old Testament is all rubbish. Exodus Ch 23: V 7 should give some warning of what’s to come in later chapters but it’s seldom read that way.

The Human Race is Insane

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #28 - Jan 9th, 2021 at 11:19am

Does it matter which sect? None of the mainstream ones are so different as to affect the points being made.

IP Logged

Ayn Marx
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South of Australia
Reply #29 - Jan 9th, 2021 at 1:15pm

freediver wrote on Jan 9th, 2021 at 11:19am:
Does it matter which sect? None of the mainstream ones are so different as to affect the points being made.

Are you serious? Maybe we have a different idea of what ‘mainstream’ is?.

The Human Race is Insane

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 15
Send Topic Print