Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Is voter suppression a "thing of the Right"? (Read 1140 times)
lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Is voter suppression a "thing of the Right"?
Reply #30 - Jan 8th, 2021 at 2:48pm

Mix_Master wrote on Jan 8th, 2021 at 2:18pm:
I made the case quite clearly that the system as it stands is "the best in the world", and does not need to be changed.

Which is not disenfrachising voters (voter suppression) and the changes don't disenfrachise voters. That was your central point; it even is your topic heading.

I would contend, therefore, that it is you who has not made a case for change.

I have not said their is a case for change. I have said that it didn't disenfrachise voters. Wink

There has been NO case made for change, based on "fixing failings inherent in the system".

You are absolutely correct.

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #31 - Jan 8th, 2021 at 6:09pm

Belgarion wrote on Jan 7th, 2021 at 2:05pm:
Bam wrote on Jan 7th, 2021 at 12:32pm:
Belgarion wrote on Jan 7th, 2021 at 7:00am:
I fail to see how requiring voters to produce ID is a form of 'voter suppression' or how it is a 'thing of the right'.

Requiring voters to produce ID without also requiring the state to provide acceptable ID to ALL citizens on request will inevitably disenfranchise those voters who cannot provide acceptable ID. Such ID is usually in a form that assumes voters have some level of wealth, such as a home to live in, a bank account or the ability to drive a motor vehicle. Those who cannot meet this level of wealth will be disenfranchised - and so it is a tool of the right to disenfranchise and punish voters who would not vote for them.

While I am ambivalent about the need to introduce ID for voters, I don't see it as being any problem for anyone should it be introduced.  As it stands there are already measures in place for people with disabilities, those unable to sign and those with no fixed address. 
Should the requirement for ID come into force these measures can easily be adapted for voters in these categories.

Any suggestion that there is some sinister move to disenfranchise certain people is tinfoil hat stuff.

No, it isn't. The Coalition parties are always seeking to limit the vote to people who vote for them. They have form on this, see Queensland 2012.

The JSCEM (the Electoral Committee in the Parliament) examined the conduct of the 2019 election and came up with this ID proposal when there was no evidence of widespread voter fraud. This government-dominated committee did not examine the impersonation of the Electoral Commission by the Liberal party with Chinese-language signs in AEC colours telling voters that the "correct" way to vote was to vote Liberal. That shows the JSCEM recommendations are driven by partisan political considerations and are not objective.

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are only entitled to hold opinions that you can defend through sound, reasoned argument.

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #32 - Jan 8th, 2021 at 6:16pm

Belgarion wrote on Jan 7th, 2021 at 6:03pm:
The idea of a photo medicare card is the simplest and most common sense way to provide ID for all voters. Therefore it will probably never happen.

This isn't a good idea on its own because some Medicare cards have more than one adult listed on them. Do we put photos of all the adult cardholders on each card? Or do we have one Medicare card per person?

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are only entitled to hold opinions that you can defend through sound, reasoned argument.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #33 - Jan 8th, 2021 at 6:17pm

Bam wrote on Jan 8th, 2021 at 6:09pm:
The Coalition parties are always seeking to limit the vote to people who vote for them. They have form on this, see Queensland 2012.

So nothing in the last 8 years?  They must be trying really, really hard. Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

But tell us how some electoral officials not allowing votes without ID was voter suppression. It seems as I said earlier that the officials needed training. Wink

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print