Pages: 1 2 3 ... 142
Send Topic Print
COVID in WA (Read 80424 times)
greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

COVID in WA
Jan 5th, 2021 at 1:30pm

New UK coronavirus strain found in Perth hotel quarantine system as three arrivals test positive

"Three people in Western Australia's hotel quarantine system have tested positive for the new COVID-19 variant from the UK, Premier Mark McGowan has revealed."

IP Logged

JJ

Australian Politics

Re: COVID in WA
Reply #1 - Jan 5th, 2021 at 1:38pm

It's widely being referred to as the South African mutation at this stage.

The good news is the vaccines should be effective against it.
« Last Edit: Jan 5th, 2021 at 1:44pm by JJ »  

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #2 - Jan 5th, 2021 at 1:40pm

« Last Edit: Jan 5th, 2021 at 1:46pm by Bobby. »  

IP Logged

Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Reply #3 - Jan 6th, 2021 at 10:40am

Well, let's hope they can keep a lid on this before it gets loose. Not just in WA but Australia wide.

I guess we're lucky (again) that the recent hotel quarantine breaches happened before this new variant arrived in Perth and they've (hopefully) tightened up the security in these hotels.

And, I see this muppet is still at it:

Coronavirus quarantine breacher Jenny D'Ubios arrested again for alleged wrong bail address

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-05/wa-quarantine-breacher-jenny-dubios-arres...

Quote:
A woman who walked free from prison yesterday after fleeing hotel quarantine in Perth halfway through her mandatory quarantine period is back behind bars, the WA Police Minister has revealed.

Quote:
The Magistrates Court heard the resident of an address provided by Ms D'Ubios, in Perth's southern suburbs, had not agreed Ms D'Ubios could stay there.

The police prosecutor said the resident had "never given permission" for her to stay and had not spoken to Ms D'Ubios for "eight months".

The court heard Ms D'Ubios went to see police in Perth and provided a second address but this was also unsuitable.

The prosecutor said a person contacted at the second address did not know Ms D'Ubios.

He told the court she had "continually been evasive" in dealing with authorities, "doesn't give the correct address" and did not consult with the residents.

What the h3ll is wrong with these people? She (and others like her) should be put onto the first available flight out of Australia with "Do not return" stamped on her passport.
« Last Edit: Jan 6th, 2021 at 10:45am by Carl D »  

"Masks are sand in the gears of the economy" - some f-wit pollie or big business CEO.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Jan 6th, 2021 at 11:01am

Carl D wrote on Jan 6th, 2021 at 10:40am:
Well, let's hope they can keep a lid on this before it gets loose. Not just in WA but Australia wide.

I guess we're lucky (again) that the recent hotel quarantine breaches happened before this new variant arrived in Perth and they've (hopefully) tightened up the security in these hotels.

Coronavirus quarantine breacher Jenny D'Ubios arrested again for alleged wrong bail address

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-05/wa-quarantine-breacher-jenny-dubios-arres...

Quote:
A woman who walked free from prison yesterday after fleeing hotel quarantine in Perth halfway through her mandatory quarantine period is back behind bars, the WA Police Minister has revealed.

Quote:
The Magistrates Court heard the resident of an address provided by Ms D'Ubios, in Perth's southern suburbs, had not agreed Ms D'Ubios could stay there.

The police prosecutor said the resident had "never given permission" for her to stay and had not spoken to Ms D'Ubios for "eight months".

The court heard Ms D'Ubios went to see police in Perth and provided a second address but this was also unsuitable.

The prosecutor said a person contacted at the second address did not know Ms D'Ubios.

He told the court she had "continually been evasive" in dealing with authorities, "doesn't give the correct address" and did not consult with the residents.

What the h3ll is wrong with these people? She (and others like her) should be put onto the first available flight out of Australia with "Do not return" stamped on her passport.

I agree.  Get rid of 'em!

In all seriousness, that woman has some very serious mental issues though so, as a duty of care, the WA Health Department should offer her some help.

Otherwise, she's just gonna be doing stupid irresponsible things wherever she goes.

A little time in a mental health facility wouldn't hurt.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #5 - Jan 6th, 2021 at 11:45am

There's heaps of different 'Strains' going around.
Not much interest in Peru/Chile strain that can increase in very 'sparsely' populated areas - now that's dangerous, but because it ain't UK or USA...

Mutation shows the Virus is WINNING.
It's 'Growing'.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Jan 6th, 2021 at 2:03pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Jan 6th, 2021 at 11:01am:

Quote:

Quote:

I agree.  Get rid of 'em!

In all seriousness, that woman has some very serious mental issues though so, as a duty of care, the WA Health Department should offer her some help.

Otherwise, she's just gonna be doing stupid irresponsible things wherever she goes.

A little time in a mental health facility wouldn't hurt.

you could always move out and give her your spot

IP Logged

Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Reply #7 - Jan 6th, 2021 at 3:43pm

I see in today's West Australian newspaper that our Premier, Mark McGowan, is extremely concerned about this new COVID-19 variant.

He says that National Cabinet should consider banning all flights to Australia from the United Kingdom for the time being.

That will be up to the Prime Minister so I won't be holding my breath waiting for him to make a decision.

Premier McGowan says that at the very least people should be tested for COVID-19 before they board the planes to come here - which is what a lot of people, myself included, have been saying for a while now. For "returned travellers" from everywhere, not just the UK.

But, this new COVID-19 variant has probably already spread to all corners of the globe by now so banning flights from the UK won't make much difference anymore. It'll be too little, too late as usual.

"Masks are sand in the gears of the economy" - some f-wit pollie or big business CEO.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Jan 6th, 2021 at 4:01pm

Carl D wrote on Jan 6th, 2021 at 3:43pm:
I see in today's West Australian newspaper that our Premier, Mark McGowan, is extremely concerned about this new COVID-19 variant.

He says that National Cabinet should consider banning all flights to Australia from the United Kingdom for the time being.

Absolutely!

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Jan 6th, 2021 at 4:42pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Jan 6th, 2021 at 4:01pm:

Absolutely!

what about all those stranded aussies.... Cry Cry Cry

we owe them!

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Jan 6th, 2021 at 4:45pm

cods wrote on Jan 6th, 2021 at 4:42pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Jan 6th, 2021 at 4:01pm:

Absolutely!

we owe them!

they dont matter cods.

all that matters is keeping gweggy safe.

are they doing anything as meaningful as posting "the alledge child rapist  blah,blah, blah" 100,000 times  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

the whole world must bend to gweggys higher purpose.

his mission in life

his reason for existence  Undecided Undecided

IP Logged

Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Reply #11 - Jan 6th, 2021 at 4:47pm

we owe them!

Maybe.

But, as I've said once or twice in the past - I'm prepared to bet that a large number of them are expatriates who have been happily living overseas for years but now that things are getting a bit "virusy" over there they all want to come back to Australia where they believe its safe.

Which it (relatively speaking) is - for the time being.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Jan 6th, 2021 at 4:49pm

Carl D wrote on Jan 6th, 2021 at 4:47pm:

we owe them!

Maybe.

But, as I've said once or twice in the past - I'm prepared to bet that a large number of them are expatriates who have been happily living overseas for years but now that things are getting a bit "virusy" over there they all now want to come back to Australia where they believe its safe.

Which it (relatively) is - for the time being.

but but but  when Albo does come up for air   he always says loud and clear..

bring em home.. or.........

IP Logged

Mix_Master
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Jan 6th, 2021 at 5:03pm

Quote:

Quote:

Maybe it's just me, but the whole thing sounds a tad...dubious?

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #14 - Jan 6th, 2021 at 5:10pm

Quote:

Quote:

Yes.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 142
Send Topic Print