Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Welcome to 2021. We have a new national anthem... (Read 1200 times)
Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Welcome to 2021. We have a new national anthem...
Jan 1st, 2021 at 3:43pm

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Welcome to 2021. We have a new national anthem...
Reply #1 - Jan 1st, 2021 at 3:46pm

Gert is your sister in law. Girt is surrounded.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #2 - Jan 1st, 2021 at 3:50pm

lee wrote on Jan 1st, 2021 at 3:46pm:

Nope, my sister in law's name is Susan, not Gert.  Funny that hey, Lee?  So who is Girt?

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #3 - Jan 1st, 2021 at 4:33pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jan 1st, 2021 at 3:43pm:

Quote:
The word girt, however, certainly lays claim to being significant in Australian English. The verb gird (meaning 'to surround, encircle') is from Old English, and its past tense and past participle was girded. ... Of course, McCormick could have used the girded form of the past participle: 'Our home is girded by sea'.

IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #4 - Jan 2nd, 2021 at 11:11pm

Pathetic symbolism crap from a marketing PM not a real leader....A real leader listens to the people and then takes them with him/her....I never heard Morrison ask the question so how does he know he has the answer???

Smiley Smiley Smiley

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992)

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #5 - Jan 3rd, 2021 at 10:27am

Cripes!
Have you lot all forgotten the push from indigenous groups last year to change the word from "young" to "one"?

ScoMo has just complied with that push.

For example:

UPDATED 11/11/2020
BY MAANI TRUU

NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian has joined calls to change the lyrics of the national anthem from "we are young and free" to "one and free" to reflect Indigenous Australians as the longest living culture in the world.

The comments were made on the morning of the second State of Origin match, a week after a number of players refused to sing the anthem during the first game, and during NAIDOC week, which celebrates Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander achievements and culture.

Speaking to ABC News on Wednesday, Ms Berejiklian said "it's about time" to recognise the 60,000 years of Indigenous history on this continent.

"And I think if we say, 'We're one and free', it acknowledges that we're not really young as a continent. We're tens of thousands of years old when it comes to human inhabitants."

Ms Berejiklian said it would not be the first time the anthem had been changed. The first line of the anthem, for example, has been changed from "Australia's sons let us rejoice" to the current lyrics, "Australians all let us rejoice".

or ...

Updated November 11, 2020 — 2.28pmfirst published at 11.52am

Indigenous leaders back NSW Premier's call for national anthem amendment

Indigenous leaders have backed the NSW Premier's call for an amendment to the national anthem to better recognise Australia's history before colonisation.

On Wednesday morning, Gladys Berejiklian advocated changing the first line of the anthem from saying "we are young and free" to "we are one and free".

"As a very young school child I remember learning 'Australia's sons let us rejoice'. Today we sing 'Australians all let us rejoice'. Similarly I believe singing we are 'one' and free rather than 'young' and free will acknowledge our proud Indigenous history.

"There should be a national discussion on this involving all Australians including Indigenous Australians."

Aboriginal leader Warren Mundine, a former chairman of the Indigenous Advisory Council, also threw his weight behind the campaign.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/indigenous-leaders-back-nsw-premier-s-call-f...

or ...

Cathy Freeman’s call to change anthem
by Natalie Brown
26th Feb 2020 11:10 AM

Olympic gold medallist Cathy Freeman has broken her silence on the national anthem debate, joining a growing list of high-profile sporting figures pushing to change the lyrics of Advance Australia Fair.

Freeman, one of the nation's most respected Indigenous voices, expressed her support for the Recognition in Anthem Project.

Founded by former Victorian Supreme Court judge Peter Vickery QC, RAP launched its proposal for an updated version of the national anthem last year, with the aim to "achieve recognition of Australian values and our First Peoples in the Australian National Anthem".

Advance Australia Fair was first performed in 1878, but has had the lyrics revised three times to adjust to significant social and political change.

The RAP's proposal calls for just one word to be changed in the first verse, and would see the second and third verses replaced entirely to include recognition of Indigenous heritage, multiculturalism and trademark Australian values such as mateship.

In the first verse, "We are young and free" became "we are one and free" when it was performed at Ormiston Gorge, west of Alice Springs, in September.

https://www.themorningbulletin.com.au/news/cathy-freemans-call-to-change-anthem/...

or ...

Our Proposal: Recognition in Anthem Project
The aim of the Recognition in Anthem Project (RAP) is to achieve recognition of Australian values and our First Peoples in the Australian National Anthem.

Symbolism can never be a substitute for substance. The changes proposed for one of our most important national symbols will be no substitute for practical policies and structures designed to make real and lasting differences to the lives of our indigenous citizens. Rather, the changes are advanced in support of such policies and structures and will work alongside them.

The refreshed National Anthem aims to contribute an important strand to truth telling and the journey towards reconciliation. The human voice in song has a unique power to heal and advance positive change for every Australian. All strands need to be woven together to lift the weight.

New Lyrics 
RAP presents an example of some fresh new lyrics called ‘Advance Australia Fair 2.0 - a Patriotic Song of Australia’. 

(See below for the full new song. Also view an earlier version of the new piece on You Tube ‘sung from the heart at Australia’s heart’ at Ormiston Gorge, Alice Springs, at the launch on 15 September 2019, click HERE). Since then, following further consultation and input, the new lyrics have been polished and adopted for consideration.

The new lyrics aim to:

In Verse 1

Convert words of exclusion ‘for we are young’ to words of inclusion. Many Australians of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander heritage find it difficult, if not impossible, to sing the present National Anthem ...
« Last Edit: Jan 3rd, 2021 at 10:55am by Captain Nemo »  

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Jan 3rd, 2021 at 10:53am

Brian Ross wrote on Jan 1st, 2021 at 3:50pm:
lee wrote on Jan 1st, 2021 at 3:46pm:

Nope, my sister in law's name is Susan, not Gert.  Funny that hey, Lee?  So who is Girt?

Is Susan a crashing bore as well?

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Jan 3rd, 2021 at 10:57am

philperth2010 wrote on Jan 2nd, 2021 at 11:11pm:
Pathetic symbolism crap from a marketing PM not a real leader....A real leader listens to the people and then takes them with him/her....I never heard Morrison ask the question so how does he know he has the answer???

Smiley Smiley Smiley

didnt Anthony Mundine put on a show and refuse to have the Anthem played at one of his fights because of a WORD?....  then they stopped singing it at footy games.....you must be the only person in the country who hasnt heard the moaning....

ITS A BLOODY WORD....one little word....

the SKY ISNT FALLING>. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #8 - Jan 3rd, 2021 at 11:29am

Quote:
Indigenous Australians as the longest living culture in the world.

Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #9 - Jan 3rd, 2021 at 1:36pm

cods wrote on Jan 3rd, 2021 at 10:57am:

Smiley Smiley Smiley

didnt Anthony Mundine put on a show and refuse to have the Anthem played at one of his fights because of a WORD?....  then they stopped singing it at footy games.....you must be the only person in the country who hasnt heard the moaning....

the SKY ISNT FALLING>. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

What word?  Which fight?  When did they stop singing the anthem at the footy, cods?

I reckon your problem is probably your battery.  No charge.  Nada.

IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #10 - Jan 3rd, 2021 at 2:43pm

Smiley Smiley Smiley

Anthony Mundine condemned the whole anthem not just one word and still does....I never heard of the Anthem not being played at sporting events but accept it could be true....My argument is that Morrison should have consulted more widely with indigenous groups to gain acceptance....Making a decision and then telling people what you have decided is not taking people with you it is dictating what people must accept....Morrison is all show and no substance???

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #11 - Jan 3rd, 2021 at 6:36pm

philperth2010 wrote on Jan 3rd, 2021 at 2:43pm:

Smiley Smiley Smiley

Anthony Mundine condemned the whole anthem not just one word and still does....I never heard of the Anthem not being played at sporting events but accept it could be true....My argument is that Morrison should have consulted more widely with indigenous groups to gain acceptance....Making a decision and then telling people what you have decided is not taking people with you it is dictating what people must accept....Morrison is all show and no substance???

So there was no need to consult with the overall community?  One man - one vote?  Are the common peons expected to just take it or leave it while the Black get a 'Voice'?

You clearly point out the fallacy of ANY 'Voice'.....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #12 - Jan 3rd, 2021 at 6:54pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Jan 3rd, 2021 at 6:36pm:

Smiley Smiley Smiley

So there was no need to consult with the overall community?  One man - one vote?  Are the common peons expected to just take it or leave it while the Black get a 'Voice'?

Many people will not accept this for the very reason nobody was consulted....You can let Morrison dictate to you mate because you are a spineless racist but to most Australian's we don't like being told what to think....Dickhead!!!

IP Logged

Jest
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW South Coast
Reply #13 - Jan 3rd, 2021 at 8:10pm

Why do we accept all this BS we're told just b/c a politician says it. Why does the change from "we are young and free" to "one and free" mean that we are acknowledging continuous indigenous culture on this continent. How on earth does anyone get that from the words "we are one and free" . Eurpoeans weren't here for 60 thousand years so in what sense are European Australians "one" with Indigenous Australians on that score. And thats just it. In a few years time we will have done full circle and the Indigenous leadership will be complaining that European Australians are appropriating indigenous culture by suggesting that somehow they share in the glory of the longstanding Indigenous culture on this continent by saying they're "one" with them.  Can we ever win this? Of course not. Victimhood is too attractive and for the charlatan leadership there's too much money and status to be made in continually finding reasons to be outraged and aggrieved.  We need to stand up to this BS and fight this dishonesty because if there's anything calculated to keep racism alive its this non stop search for greviances.

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Jan 5th, 2021 at 11:15pm

philperth2010 wrote on Jan 3rd, 2021 at 6:54pm:
Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Jan 3rd, 2021 at 6:36pm:

Smiley Smiley Smiley

Many people will not accept this for the very reason nobody was consulted....You can let Morrison dictate to you mate because you are a spineless racist but to most Australian's we don't like being told what to think....Dickhead!!!

God you're dumb sometimes - how can you possibly derive an interpretation that I allow Morrison to dictate anything to me? Without consultation he has no mandate to change anything...... I said so - and at the same time said that any push for any 'voice' was against all principle and law of equal rights.... how is that in any way allowing ANYONE to dictate to me, you spineless racist....

Anyone demanding, as you apparently do, that Aborigines should have a totally separate voice in Parliament is a racist....wake up.  What have they done to earn any such right, which means they get to vote in a fixed election - something totally anathema to any democracy?

How do YOU reckon it would work?  They get one vote for the local member and another vote for their spokesperson in Parliament, while everyone else gets only to vote for the local member?  Quotas taken to the insanest limit.

T'bugger is wrong with you, boy?  That water over there got you?  Apartheid second nature to you lot across The Great Divide?

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

The Heartless Felon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #15 - Jan 6th, 2021 at 5:51am

Jest wrote on Jan 3rd, 2021 at 8:10pm:
Why do we accept all this BS we're told just b/c a politician says it. Why does the change from "we are young and free" to "one and free" mean that we are acknowledging continuous indigenous culture on this continent. How on earth does anyone get that from the words "we are one and free" . Eurpoeans weren't here for 60 thousand years so in what sense are European Australians "one" with Indigenous Australians on that score. And thats just it. In a few years time we will have done full circle and the Indigenous leadership will be complaining that European Australians are appropriating indigenous culture by suggesting that somehow they share in the glory of the longstanding Indigenous culture on this continent by saying they're "one" with them.  Can we ever win this? Of course not. Victimhood is too attractive and for the charlatan leadership there's too much money and status to be made in continually finding reasons to be outraged and aggrieved.  We need to stand up to this BS and fight this dishonesty because if there's anything calculated to keep racism alive its this non stop search for greviances.

Damn tootin'! And while we're at it, let's do something about the name. Advance Australia Fair? Real aborigines aren't 'fair'.

JaSin will be along in a moment to  elucidate the matter for us all...
« Last Edit: Jan 6th, 2021 at 5:57am by The Heartless Felon »  

IP Logged

Ayn Marx
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South of Australia
Reply #16 - Jan 6th, 2021 at 8:16am

Just get rid if the entire badly composed, badly worded piece of crap. It’s an embarrasment whenever sung at international meetings etc.

The Human Race is Insane

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #17 - Jan 6th, 2021 at 9:59am

Quote:
Welcome to 2021. We have a new national anthem...

And haven't the conservatives been triggered by it?  Grin

They are actually blaming the Left when the actual change was made by Scott Morrison

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - Jan 6th, 2021 at 10:03am

Ayn Marx wrote on Jan 6th, 2021 at 8:16am:
Just get rid if the entire badly composed, badly worded piece of crap. It’s an embarrasment whenever sung at international meetings etc.

I voted for Walzing Matilda  so there... Tongue

if I had had my way  new words would have been written    and Bobs you're uncle    all good....instead..............

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #19 - Jan 6th, 2021 at 11:36am

WE ARE AUSTRALIAN!!!

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - Jan 6th, 2021 at 1:01pm

Once some jolly Abos
Camped by some billabongs,
Under the shade of some Coolibah trees,
And they sang and they watched
And watched the first fleet that arrived
Then they just packed up their baggage to flee...

Welcome Australia, Welcome Australia,
Everyone welcome Australia today,
And their ghosts may be heard
As you pass around the whiskey pot,
You'll all be welcome Australia today.....

― John Adams

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #21 - Jan 6th, 2021 at 1:40pm

The Seekers (Musicians) have done a good piece there and 'lyrically' better than Advance Australia Fair or Waltzing Mathilda (a plagiarized song). It 'describes' a lot more... but can be 'dated' within 50 years as 'newer' Australians emerge along with 'professions' beyond being Nomads, Convicts, Settlers... what about Nihonese working in Tourism shops?

Remember that many 'Anthems' are played with NO LYRICAL input at Ceremonies - it's just the 'Music'.
So that should be the first stage of a New Anthem - how it sounds.
I must say the Argentinian Anthem was a beauty at the Rugby Union matches. You didn't need to understand the words - as the 'music' was very impressive to start with.
That's what Australia should be aiming for and let's leave it to the PROFESSIONALS (Musicians) to create, not Politicians, not 'Race' Activists and Sportspeople or even 'celebrities' ( Roll Eyes) - get me out of here! Tongue

It's starting to get pathetic these last 10 years regarding the Anthem. Which still seems stuck in 1788 when Politics took an investment into this part of the world, where only Farmers from Africa were toiling away.

Maybe we should drag out David Gilmour to create a National Anthem for us? He could call it
Dark Side of the Planet?
Cheesy

Seriously, only a Musician/Song Writer should have anything to say upon this matter, let alone the 'Last Word' on it after 'correlating' all the complaints about the previous Anthem.

I think that guy who did the Bunnings Jingle and appears on Gruen now - should be a good start.  Wink He might 'fluke it'?
Better than Mundine or ScoMo telling us how the Anthem should go.

In truth, the best Anthem we could have, would be a reflection of our Path Ahead, rather than being 'chained' to a past of limited global connection because even today, Pre-1788 Aboriginal culture is still a 'hidden' experience kept secret by elders, lost in time.

I like Utopia (By Brendan Perry of Dead Can Dance) - the clip is not important/not the original/but offers a neutral aspect to the point I'm getting across. A Song that basically covers all bases to which even Aboriginals can't deny and also describes the 'future' of our nation, let alone the past - if you listen/read the lyrics. Easy for anyone to sing and has the same pace many Aboriginal songs adhere to.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=utopia+lyrics+-+brendan+perry&&view=detail&...

I feel greater than the sum of all my parts
A domestic beast with a hairy heart
Trapped within a walled suburbia
I've found my tastes are somewhat underground
Between the shadows and the cracks
I am building my utopia

I need to break free from all that binds
That makes me old before my time
In this world of dystopia
My love is like a bright guiding light
Shining in the darkness of the night
The star of my utopia

In the motion of the sea
In the air that we breathe
Can you feel me?
In the stars and in the trees
In the song of the bees
Can you hear me?

Caged golden memories
Time has come to show your true feelings
I know it's the only way to be
When the same old feelings come over me

I feel greater than the sum of all my parts
A space jockey from a distant star
Marooned upon dystopia
I've found my tastes are somewhat underground
Between the shadows and the cracks
I am building my utopia

In the motion of the sea
In the air that we breathe
Can you feel me?
In the stars and in the trees
In the song of the bees
Can you hear me?

In our utopia
You will be queen
And I will be king
In our utopia
You will be free
To be whoever you want to be

...there, hows that Heartless Felon you brute.  Wink

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #22 - Jan 6th, 2021 at 1:50pm

Yeah - but those prison ships came a long time ago...... no special entitlements there........ oh... wait a minute..... that means the keeper of the flame came a longer time ago....

We's All Austral-y-uns, mate.... always been that way with me - ain't me seeking to divide and conquer..... the racists are the ones doing that....

You'll be right once you get your head around reality..... long's y'all behave like civilised human beans, yez are welcome... if not.. it's on the boat for you Luigi Mohamed Jacky-Jacky and Reverse Boat People for life....

Told yez - given that the vast majority of 'boat people' near-arrivals are positively vetted ('splained that to yez before - s. negative, neutral an' Positive - if ye're positive you're right up there), we should land them and process them here, and replenish the boats and send them back with Undesirables....

I guess, with Irish/Scottish/German ancestry, and given the ruling of the court that Koonish blood means you are a resident forever even if you never lived here - I am a citizen of Ireland, Germany, Scotland and even England... and God knows where else....

What they smokin' in dat court dere, bro?  Mus' be prime sh1t.... Acapulco Gold, man....

― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Jan 6th, 2021 at 1:50pm

Yeah - but those prison ships came a long time ago...... no special entitlements there........ oh... wait a minute..... that means the keeper of the flame came a longer time ago....

We's All Austral-y-uns, mate.... always been that way with me - ain't me seeking to divide and conquer..... the racists are the ones doing that....

You'll be right once you get your head around reality..... long's y'all behave like civilised human beans, yez are welcome... if not.. it's on the boat for you Luigi Mohamed Jacky-Jacky and Reverse Boat People for life....

Told yez - given that the vast majority of 'boat people' near-arrivals are positively vetted ('splained that to yez before - s'negative, neutral an' Positive - if ye're positive you're right up there), we should land them and process them here, and replenish the boats and send them back with Undesirables....

I guess, with Irish/Scottish/German ancestry, and given the ruling of the court that Koonish blood means you are a resident forever even if you never lived here - I am a citizen of Ireland, Germany, Scotland and even England... and God knows where else....

What they smokin' in dat court dere, bro?  Mus' be prime sh1t.... Acapulco Gold, man.... dat Apartheid right there, bro.... an' dat stupid court says so....WHAT dey smokin'?

― John Adams

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #24 - Jan 6th, 2021 at 2:02pm

Other than that - this sums up everything else going around about the National Anthem. T.I.S.M sums it up neatly, but we know we can't sing this one.  Wink
Warning
: you will be offended.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=tism+-+australian+anthem&&view=detail&mid=4...

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #25 - Jan 6th, 2021 at 2:18pm

IP Logged

philperth2010
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth
Reply #26 - Jan 6th, 2021 at 5:26pm

Neferti wrote on Jan 6th, 2021 at 11:36am:
WE ARE AUSTRALIAN!!!

I wouldn't mind this as the anthem!!!

Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #27 - Jan 6th, 2021 at 7:04pm

Neferti wrote on Jan 6th, 2021 at 2:18pm:

Send that to the councils in Malbadishu who want to cancel Australia Day and ceremonies and such... go tell the Spartans who bought Victoria that they who lie there are not doing their duty ...

― John Adams

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print