Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
When The Coronavirus Supplement Is Cut Again (Read 1091 times)
whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
When The Coronavirus Supplement Is Cut Again
Dec 29th, 2020 at 5:08am

'I eat two meals a day': The suburbs and towns that will hurt the most in JobSeeker cut

December 28, 2020
Sydney Morning Herald

Tourist regions and outer suburbs will take the biggest hit when the coronavirus supplement is cut by another $100 a fortnight from January 1.

The reduction in the payment means the 2 million people on JobSeeker unemployment benefits, Youth Allowance, parenting payments and other welfare will have a collective $205 million a fortnight less to spend.   Sad

In NSW, 594,652 people will have their supplements reduced from $250 a fortnight to $150.   Sad

It's a prospect Bertin Huynh is not relishing. Mr Huynh, 22, who lives with his partner in Kingsford, lost his job as a swimming teacher as the pandemic hit.

"The reduction means a lot of the usual stuff is going to get harder, like petrol and groceries," he said. "Luckily I have enough savings to make rent and most other expenses, but I'm starting to chew through that.

"But it also means I'm probably not going to be able to renew my teaching licence. The swim teacher's licence is around $500 and these swim schools only just started to reopen, but my licence expired during the height of the pandemic. Big purchases like that are really out of my league.

"I eat two meals a day. Initially, [it was] to lose weight but it's proven to be beneficial financially."

Fairfield, in western Sydney, has the highest proportion of people on the welfare payments in NSW, with 15.4 per cent. Mullumbimby, near Byron Bay, is next with 14.2 per cent of the population. In western NSW, 14.1 per cent of people in Walgett/Lightning Ridge and 13.7 per cent of those in Bourke receive the payments.

The western Sydney areas of Fairfield, Liverpool and Bankstown have more than 10 per cent of their populations living on JobSeeker or Youth Allowance. So do tourist destinations Byron Bay, Wyong and The Entrance and regional cities Tamworth, Lismore, Newcastle and the Illawarra region.

RELATED ARTICLE

Older renters on the dole the most financially strapped as calls grow for JobSeeker increase
The coronavirus supplement was initially $550 a fortnight, effectively doubling the unemployment benefit at a time when hundreds of thousands more people found themselves on the dole queue. It was reduced to $250 a fortnight from September 25. The next step down, to $150 on January 1, is legislated to last until the end of March.

The hit comes at a time when unemployment is forecast to peak, with Treasury saying in the mid-year budget update it would reach 7.5 per cent in the March quarter and only drop to 6.25 per cent by the middle of 2022.

In November, there were 942,100 people unemployed nationally, with the jobless rate at 6.8 per cent.

Social services advocates and the government's political opponents have seized on the temporary increase to the unemployment payment to bolster their arguments that its base rate should be increased from the current $40-a-day level. Social Services Minister Anne Ruston has repeatedly said the government will decide what happens to the payments after the end of March, once it has a better understanding of what the economic conditions will be like at that time.

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Re: When The Coronavirus Supplement Is Cut Again
Reply #1 - Dec 29th, 2020 at 7:04am

Taxpayers cannot be expected to support parasites forever.

There is work out there, just look for it.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #2 - Dec 29th, 2020 at 10:39am

"Fairfield, in western Sydney, has the highest proportion of people on the welfare payments in NSW, with 15.4 per cent. Mullumbimby, near Byron Bay, is next with 14.2 per cent of the population. In western NSW, 14.1 per cent of people in Walgett/Lightning Ridge and 13.7 per cent of those in Bourke receive the payments.

The western Sydney areas of Fairfield, Liverpool and Bankstown have more than 10 per cent of their populations living on JobSeeker or Youth Allowance. So do tourist destinations Byron Bay, Wyong and The Entrance and regional cities Tamworth, Lismore, Newcastle and the Illawarra region."

Yeah - they could just go for the $3800 a week jobs that nobody wants.... let's hear the slogan....

Plenty of work around for those that want it!

Repeat fifty to a thousand times until you believe it....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Bam
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Dec 29th, 2020 at 10:42am

Valkie wrote on Dec 29th, 2020 at 7:04am:

There are many more unemployed workers than there are jobs. This is a very simple concept that you have difficulty understanding.

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are only entitled to hold opinions that you can defend through sound, reasoned argument.

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Dec 29th, 2020 at 12:48pm

Bam wrote on Dec 29th, 2020 at 10:42am:

There are many more unemployed workers than there are jobs. This is a very simple concept that you have difficulty understanding.

incorrect

NQ farmers report  crop losses of more than $22 million as fruit and vegetables continue to rot in fields. a representative said there would be 26,000 vacant farm worker jobs by March next year.

Queensland farmers reported $11 million of crop losses across a variety of commodities including on banana, strawberry and vegetable farms.

Southern Queensland farmer Nathan Baronio lost more than $500,000 when he had to leave a paddock of strawberries, containing 130,000 plants, unpicked as a result of not having enough workers.

"We were working as much as we could, but we weren't able to keep up," Mr Baronio said.

"The fruit was coming in overripe and we were unable to pack it straight away, which was deteriorating the product.

"It just sucked."

dont tell lies Bammy  Cry Cry Cry

crop.jpg (178 KB | 6 )
crop.jpg

IP Logged

whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Reply #5 - Dec 29th, 2020 at 1:15pm

DECEMBER 4 2020 Canberra Times
Report exposes farm labour exploitation

It's alleged blueberry pickers have been made to work seven days a week for less than minimum wage.   Sad

Farm workers were paid just $3 an hour to pick blueberries on the NSW north coast, with the revelation sparking calls for a royal commission into the under-fire horticulture sector.

The McKell Institute has released the results of a three-month investigation into blueberry jobs around Coffs Harbour.

Coronavirus lockdowns led to thousands of backpackers flocking to the region earlier this year with an oversupply of labour contrasting with other parts of Australia.

Natalie Trigwell, 46, lost her home near the NSW town of Nimbin in the bushfires and was living in her campervan when she landed a job picking berries out of pure desperation.

"I went down there and found that I was earning $15 to $20 per day," she says in the report.

Ms Trigwell said fires were so close to the orchard she could no longer see the berries.

With no phone reception, she alleges the contractors wouldn't let her leave.

"And I walked out. I didn't get paid for three weeks' worth of work for that one."

Backpackers and other migrants tell similar stories of exploitation including pay well below minimum wage, seven-day working weeks and other mistreatment.

Sally, another worker, was spammed with almost 2000 messages calling her a "pig" and a "dog" after she asked her labour hirer for the rest of her pay.

A 28-year-old German backpacker earned just $3 an hour during one shift and averaged $6.21 an hour for 17 days of work with a local contractor.

Australian Workers' Union national secretary Daniel Walton said the idea exploitation on farms was limited to a few bad apples needed to be put to bed.

"This shocking new report can be added to the mountain of research indicating that Australian farms have become a hotbed of wage theft, exploitation and worker abuse," he said.   Sad

"It's not just Coffs Harbour either - pick a spot on the map and you will find outrageous exploitation."

Mr Walton urged Agriculture Minister David Littleproud to support a royal commission.

Mr Littleproud said he would "never say never" but favours fixing the problem through strengthened and harmonised state laws.

"It's disgraceful. There's no other way you can sugar coat it," he told Sky News.

He said the issue was limited to a small minority, which could destroy the reputation of agricultural work.

The report calls for a crackdown on rogue recruiters, stronger penalties, greater enforcement from workplace investigators and reforms of Australia's visa schemes.

It also argues for new laws to ensure farmers are required to pay a minimum hourly rate.

The investigation found dodgy labour hire companies recruit on Facebook, WeChat and Gumtree and falsely promote fruit-picking as highly paid and fun work.

Lead author Ed Cavanough also observed a cluster of shipping containers converted into four-bed dorms for Pacific Island workers rented at the prices of suburban houses.

Backpackers were paying up to $150 a person to live in nine to 12-person share houses, netting landlords three times the median rent of some Coffs Harbour suburbs.

A Gumtree spokesman told AAP it was strongly recommended job seekers using the platform do their due diligence before considering potential job opportunities.

"This includes finding out as much information as possible about a company before interviewing for and accepting a role," the spokesman said.

Job seekers should use independent resources like ABN Lookup to ensure advertised work is genuine.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #6 - Dec 29th, 2020 at 2:31pm

A Doctor who has been working overseas has returned to Australia (screened) has stated that there is no way Australian Medical Industry could cope with an infection mass and rate as like in the USA. Lack of Staff.

...plenty of work in the Medical Industry. Should start Drafting of the Bludgers and put them to work on changing their selfish natures. Mind you, I could see a lot of Treatment Rooms raided of drugs and patients sexually assaulted, etc. No discipline much for the consequence except charged by Legal System. What to do? Maybe 'pussy-whip' them into shape? Plenty of Female Staff - that Medicine in Australia seems a Woman's job.

Start drafting the bludgers into helping Medical Staff.
Toothless Terry from Sefton will thankfully have a mask on to hopefully hold back the narcotic and alcoholic breath as well, when he shoves a probe down your nasal passage for a chunk of stem cell from your brain.

Well maybe the Battlers would make a good job of it in the Medical and Religiously compassionate services. But I doubt the Bludgers will conform to a healthy work environment with others. That's why they're Bludgers - because no-one will give them a job because they're selfish obnoxious narcotic/alcoholic induced lazy arseholes.

There should be an 'underworld' of jobs - like Slavery... if they feel that they should 'fall' into that line of work?

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #7 - Dec 29th, 2020 at 2:39pm

Food Prices to rise a lot for Consumers to pay for the increased wage payments for Fruit Pickers and their cheap Asian $3 labour efforts. Farmers forced to hand out more money to Fruit Pickers. Expect a reimbursement through Food price increases to pay for it.
Like the old Bus Strike for Pay Rise which the Customer paid for in a fare increase a few months down the line.
First will be an increase in Fruit prices. Fruit is a popular Australian diet. It will hurt.

America: Land of the Mass Produced Poor Quality Cheap Food culture.

Australia: Land of the High Quality Small Business Expensive Food culture.

Meat has already experienced increases in Price and god knows how much Seafood has increased since 2000.

...the Customer will pay the pay increase for Fruit Picking.

I don't know why Business doesn't want to set up here in Australia - where the Worker gets to rip-off the Customer without the need for a tip. Business would do well, if your workers are doing well out of it too.  Wink

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Reply #8 - Dec 29th, 2020 at 5:01pm

Jobseeker payments to be cut from January 1   Sad

Nine News.
Dec 29, 2020

Families being helped by Centrelink supplements will see payments slashed in the next few days.
From January 1, the Centrelink coronavirus JobSeeker supplement will be cut by $100 a fortnight with payments down to $150.
Around two million people on benefits will be affected.
Some people in the outer suburbs of Sydney and Melbourne will be worst hit.

Places such as Fairfield and Ashcroft in west and south-west Sydney and Broadmeadows and Narre Warren in Melbourne have more than 10 per cent of their populations living on JobSeeker or Youth Allowance.
At the height of the coronavirus pandemic, the coronavirus supplement was $550 a fortnight, reduced to $250 in September and now $150 until the end of March.
Related

The Federal Government has always said it was a temporary measure, which began in March during the nationwide lockdown.
Opposition MP Bill Shorten said on Today it was too soon to cut the cash payments.
"People should remember that before this allowance of the money people were living on $40 a day," he said.   Sad
"The problem is, in Australia, there is well north of a million people unemployed.
"There is just not the jobs out there at the moment.
"The other thing is, we are going to see more insolvencies next year in 2021.
"These cuts are just too tough."   Sad

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #9 - Dec 29th, 2020 at 5:36pm

Plenty of work in the Medical industry and Aged Care sector.
Must be bludgers if they can't work doing even that.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Dec 29th, 2020 at 5:58pm

aquascoot wrote on Dec 29th, 2020 at 12:48pm:
incorrect

NQ farmers report  crop losses of more than $22 million as fruit and vegetables continue to rot in fields. a representative said there would be 26,000 vacant farm worker jobs by March next year.

then maybe they should pay their workers properly

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Dec 30th, 2020 at 12:17am

Bam wrote on Dec 29th, 2020 at 10:42am:

incorrect

Queensland farmers reported $11 million of crop losses across a variety of commodities including on banana, strawberry and vegetable farms.

Southern Queensland farmer Nathan Baronio lost more than $500,000 when he had to leave a paddock of strawberries, containing 130,000 plants, unpicked as a result of not having enough workers.

"We were working as much as we could, but we weren't able to keep up," Mr Baronio said.

"The fruit was coming in overripe and we were unable to pack it straight away, which was deteriorating the product.

"It just sucked."

dont tell lies Bammy  Cry Cry Cry

Well - it's tough for everyone including those looking for work when you've got all these lockdowns... I'm assuming the farmers will be copping government handouts for retaining the staff they don't have, like many another business?

Meanwhile my carrots in the garden are just coming in and are tasty as hell....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Dec 30th, 2020 at 12:21am

John Smith wrote on Dec 29th, 2020 at 5:58pm:
incorrect

then maybe they should pay their workers properly

Market forces, innit?  Shortage of workers due to no backpackers and many potential workers unable to travel/cross borders etc..... means that wages should go up to attract needed workers, eh?

Am I right here?  Isn't that always the rationale for cutting wages - the opposite I mean - when there is a glut of workers available, wages go down??  Isn't that the theory?

So why don't they go up to attract the needed workers?

Pure propaganda from the farmers and whining in the expectation of a handout...... poor buggars... they might have to go on the dole queue and see how they get on with that....   Grin  Grin  Grin

― John Adams

IP Logged

whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Reply #13 - Dec 30th, 2020 at 8:45am

DECEMBER 30 2020
Renewed call for JobSeeker increase
Canberra Times
Welfare groups are calling for a permanent increase in JobSeeker payments to bring people above the poverty line as the federal government moves to reduce COVID-19 benefits.   Sad

The Morrison government plans to lower the JobSeeker unemployment supplement by $100 a fortnight from Friday, January 1, and the JobKeeper payment by $200 on Monday.

The new rates will be $150 a fortnight for Jobseeker and $1000 for JobKeeper and are effective until the end of March.

The Australian Council of Social Service says the move will see vulnerable people trying to get by on $50 a day.

The agency has called for a permanent increase of JobSeeker to $65 a day to bring people above the poverty line.

"As 2021 begins and everyone tries to put 2020 behind them, people without paid work will be trying to get by on just $50 a day, which simply isn't enough to cover housing, food, transport and bills," ACOSS CEO Cassandra Goldie said.

"The number of people on JobSeeker doubled to 1.5 million during the pandemic and is expected to rise still more when JobKeeper ends in March."

JobSeeker is scheduled to revert to its pre-coronavirus rate of an "unliveable" $40 a day, and the Youth Allowance will be $33 a day, Dr Goldie said.

"People and the economy need security to be able to rebuild - virtually every dollar of the coronavirus supplement goes straight back into the local economy, helping to keep other people in employment."

The federal government has always said the increased payments were a temporary measure which began in March during the nationwide lockdown. They have been extended in staggered reductions.

Federal Labor warned it is too early to reduce the payment.

"We are not out of the woods yet with this pandemic and the economic effects, they (are) reverberating around the economy, especially in regional towns and suburbs where there is a lot of casual workers who have borne the biggest brunt," Labor's Bill Shorten told Nine's Today Show on Tuesday.

"For the less well off, we shouldn't be cutting their circumstances at this point in time."

"The government should reconsider it.

IP Logged

whiteknight
Gold Member

Australian Politics

melbourne
Reply #14 - Dec 30th, 2020 at 8:52am

"As 2021 begins and everyone tries to put 2020 behind them, people without paid work will be trying to get by on just $50 a day, which simply isn't enough to cover housing, food, transport and bills," ACOSS CEO Cassandra Goldie said.  Yes very well said Dr Goldie, there needs to be a long overdue fair increase for people on jobseeker.   Wink

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print