Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Top End Tax Cuts Fail Economy Boost Inequality (Read 862 times)
Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Top End Tax Cuts Fail Economy Boost Inequality
Reply #15 - Dec 30th, 2020 at 9:42am

Captain Nemo wrote on Dec 21st, 2020 at 7:39am:
The USA example of massive tax cuts saw a reduction in unemployment and a booming economy - sadly, COVID 19 put an end to that for a while.

What goes on in the US is not always applicable here.

For example the (Fred)Hilmer Report - a plagerised  document based on the US experience into competition & business rationalisation has done nothing to increase competition, productivity & employment or to reduce prices.

In fact here it did the exact opposite to the US example.

It increased unemployment, made those working work longer hours for less & prices kept going up & up.

It also had the opposite affect on breaking down monopolies.

e.g in the Rail Industry one company(Pacific National) has over 90% of all container freight on the east coast of Australia & across to WA & up from Adelaide to Darwin.

It now has 100% of the container freight in QLD....which has only taken a bit over 10 years to achieve.

Where's the competition there for customers?

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #16 - Dec 30th, 2020 at 10:21am

There were countless other factors involved in the US experience - not least Forrest Trump and his insistence on US first...

Anyway - let's see how this helps:-

https://www.thebalance.com/job-creation-by-president-by-number-and-percent-38632...

There are, of course - some contradictions here - e.g. stating that Clinton reduced 'welfare recipients' from 12m to 4 (aroundabout) is shooting fish in a barrel when you consider that after two years a person was cut off.  Of course the number will decline of RECIPIENTS when you cut them off....

Meantime - "His Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1993 raised the top tax rate from 28% to 36% for high-income earners.  He increased the top corporate tax rate from 34% to 35%. He created the earned income tax credit for low-income families and raised the gas tax by 4.3 cents per gallon."  How say you to this?  RAISING the top bracket and company tax lowered unemployment.....

Once more - lowering the tax rate for the top enders who already do not anywhere near pay tax on the total incomes will do nothing but give them more luxury for overseas trips and fancy cars and such - not have them flooding to put their money into new ventures that always carry an element of risk ...  It's an old New England Yankee principle - Never Lose Your Capital!

....... and without investment in new ventures (which carry a hazard of risk) there can be no genuine upsurge in the economy, since all the other areas are now Gone With The Wind.....

.....There was a land of Cavaliers and Cotton Fields and steel works called Old America... Here in this pretty and polluted world Gallantry and mutual prosperity took its last bow.. Here was the last ever to be seen of Knights and their Ladies Fair, of Master and Slave on a good wage... Look for it only in books, for it is no more than a dream remembered. A Civilization gone with the wind...

Tovarisch - here is global economy work-ing - today is receiving parcel with custom declare - "O'ZBEKISTON POCHTASI" - good comrade parcel!! Family ex-wife from Russkiye - from Russkiye with Christmas Love?
« Last Edit: Dec 30th, 2020 at 10:34am by Grappler Truth Teller Feller »  

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #17 - Dec 30th, 2020 at 12:25pm

Correlation is not causation. You will be forever confused until you stop this nonsense of picking 2 observations and insisting one must have caused the other.

You also have a knack for taking a very simple logical fallacy and making it absurdly longwinded.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - Dec 30th, 2020 at 1:49pm

freediver wrote on Dec 30th, 2020 at 12:25pm:
Correlation is not causation. You will be forever confused until you stop this nonsense of picking 2 observations and insisting one must have caused the other.

You also have a knack for taking a very simple logical fallacy and making it absurdly longwinded.

That sort of interpretation covers all ways to Rome... there is a vast world of difference between  observations, and examples... I merely offer a small amount - and it is YOU who are relied upon to read the entire article and draw conclusions ...

Why is it, do you think, that some claim, with zero foundation, that lowering tax rates for the top end will result in greater employment, but when an example is given of the opposite result, that second example is not valid?

Wouldn't be ideological blindness, would it?

As for long-winded - hardly my fault that many here suffer Anglolinguaphobia - either pathological or 'learned behaviour' kind - though I understand Yale is leading the way by embracing Inclusivity nowadays - they are accepting White Straight Non-ethnic English-speaking Men for a change...
(how dare they?)

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #19 - Dec 30th, 2020 at 1:59pm

Quote:
That sort of interpretation covers all ways to Rome... there is a vast world of difference between  observations, and examples... I merely offer a small amount - and it is YOU who are relied upon to read the entire article and draw conclusions ...

For someone with nothing to offer, you have a lot to say.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - Dec 30th, 2020 at 2:35pm

freediver wrote on Dec 30th, 2020 at 1:59pm:
Quote:

For someone with nothing to offer, you have a lot to say.

Ah - so you fail to see that what you accused me of is also (if indeed it is) a serious fault of the 'other' side of the coin?

I cannot save you..... I've given example of where raising the high end tax rate superficially caused a rise in employment.... someone else said that cutting penalty rates, purported to cause a rise in employment, did nothing of the sort, which indicates that the experiment of giving more to the top does not work.... there are NO examples of lowering the high end tax rate causing a jump in employment.... and I did say that the entire exercise is built on many different inputs... not just one.

One of us has a lot to say but nothing to say....  you simply can't follow.... that's why I'm the professor and you are an ideological bloodhound seeking some light.....

― John Adams

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #21 - Dec 30th, 2020 at 3:05pm

Quote:
Ah - so you fail to see that what you accused me of is also (if indeed it is) a serious fault of the 'other' side of the coin?

I see it. I just don't care. There is more than enough meaningful analysis if you care to open your eyes. Blaming others for sprouting what you know to be crap is just a lame copout.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #22 - Dec 31st, 2020 at 1:17am

freediver wrote on Dec 30th, 2020 at 3:05pm:
Quote:

I see it. I just don't care. There is more than enough meaningful analysis if you care to open your eyes. Blaming others for sprouting what you know to be crap is just a lame copout.

Aha!  The true ideologue!  You don't CARE.

Every revolutionary movement has the same virtue - it utterly fails to consider the impact of its progress on others.....

Many eggs must be broken to attain the final solution, neh?  And alles is gut as long as those eggs are not your own.... neh?

I alluded to that in my response to LTYC's inane comment on yadda disappearing and being a Mossad agent etc....

I have a vacancy for a concentration camp guard..... interested? It's all for the greater good of the Mother/Fatherland..... duties include sweeping out the gas chambers..... but you wouldn't care about that.......

― John Adams

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Dec 31st, 2020 at 7:04am

freediver wrote on Dec 30th, 2020 at 12:25pm:

And you have the knack of making one or two line statements ..... with no substance of truth.

Simply your blinkered & biased view in putting up a bait.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #24 - Dec 31st, 2020 at 7:29am

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Dec 31st, 2020 at 1:17am:
Quote:

Every revolutionary movement has the same virtue - it utterly fails to consider the impact of its progress on others.....

Many eggs must be broken to attain the final solution, neh?  And alles is gut as long as those eggs are not your own.... neh?

I alluded to that in my response to LTYC's inane comment on yadda disappearing and being a Mossad agent etc....

I have a vacancy for a concentration camp guard..... interested? It's all for the greater good of the Mother/Fatherland..... duties include sweeping out the gas chambers..... but you wouldn't care about that.......

You are a hypocrit Grapps. You post things you know are crap, and justify them because the "other side" does the same, then complain I don't criticise them also. So we have two groups spewing crap at each other, and they don't even believe what they say themselves, but anyone who points this out to them is the 'ideologue' because they don't take the time to evenly measure their criticism of liars. Why not just grow up and stop lying, instead of whining about whether you get more or less criticism than the other liars?

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #25 - Dec 31st, 2020 at 10:15am

freediver wrote on Dec 31st, 2020 at 7:29am:
Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Dec 31st, 2020 at 1:17am:
Quote:

You are a hypocrit Grapps. You post things you know are crap, and justify them because the "other side" does the same, then complain I don't criticise them also. So we have two groups spewing crap at each other, and they don't even believe what they say themselves, but anyone who points this out to them is the 'ideologue' because they don't take the time to evenly measure their criticism of liars. Why not just grow up and stop lying, instead of whining about whether you get more or less criticism than the other liars?

What? a bigger liar than you?

Is that an admission that you are posting crap?

I know where the hypocrisy lies.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #26 - Dec 31st, 2020 at 2:10pm

Anyway - cutting taxes to the top end is a proven failure.... does nothing for the economy and increases inequality... just separates the 'deserving rich' further from the 'undeserving poor'.

That's where revolutions are born......

― John Adams

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #27 - Dec 31st, 2020 at 7:04pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Dec 31st, 2020 at 2:10pm:
Anyway - cutting taxes to the top end is a proven failure.... does nothing for the economy and increases inequality... just separates the 'deserving rich' further from the 'undeserving poor'.

That's where revolutions are born......

He's a pretend academic wanker

heavy emphasis on the wanker

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #28 - Dec 31st, 2020 at 7:41pm

Quote:
cut taxes for high income earners may increase inequality and fail to boost productivity

What a load of rubbish, what do you mean may fail to boost productivity ? It is a dead certainty, How is giving wealthy people more money for doing nothing ever going to increase productivity ?

Rewarding the mates is not about productivity they couldn't give a rats arse about productivity.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #29 - Dec 31st, 2020 at 7:48pm

Captain Nemo wrote on Dec 21st, 2020 at 7:39am:
The USA example of massive tax cuts saw a reduction in unemployment and a booming economy - sadly, COVID 19 put an end to that for a while.

Looks great until you find out that the economy and employment performed better under Obama with no tax cuts at the top end.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print