The Bull Moose

Re: Calendar Reform
Reply #30 - Dec 18th, 2020 at 7:33pm

Setanta wrote on Dec 18th, 2020 at 7:26pm:
Auggie wrote on Dec 18th, 2020 at 7:25pm:
Setanta wrote on Dec 18th, 2020 at 7:23pm:
Auggie wrote on Dec 18th, 2020 at 7:12pm:
Gordon wrote on Dec 18th, 2020 at 7:09pm:
Would we neee to retrospectively rename all the past playboy bunnies?

This is miss July

No, I think we should call the 13th month after an indigenous name and insert it between February and March in order to preserve the Roman naming system.

An indigenous name?  Grin

Of what indigenous people? So the 13th month could have thousands of names depending on where you come from? Or perhaps you see this as an Australian only venture? That is the stupidest thing said in this thread so far but shows your problem with logic and willingness to bow to PC to a tee.

Frankly, you can call the extra month whatever you want if it makes you feel better.

Now I get to choose? What happened to the indigenous name?

If you think having 13 months of 4 equal weeks each is a bad idea, then why don't you just say so?

The Progressive President

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #31 - Dec 18th, 2020 at 7:37pm

Auggie wrote on Dec 18th, 2020 at 7:33pm:

This is miss July

No, I think we should call the 13th month after an indigenous name and insert it between February and March in order to preserve the Roman naming system.

Of what indigenous people? So the 13th month could have thousands of names depending on where you come from? Or perhaps you see this as an Australian only venture? That is the stupidest thing said in this thread so far but shows your problem with logic and willingness to bow to PC to a tee.

Frankly, you can call the extra month whatever you want if it makes you feel better.

If you think having 13 months of 4 equal weeks each is a bad idea, then why don't you just say so?

Because I was addressing the stupid virtue signalling PC crap about an indigenous name without any though that there were any beyond Aboriginals.

Beyond that I would say it's not worth the time to change what we call time.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #32 - Dec 18th, 2020 at 7:41pm

Setanta wrote on Dec 18th, 2020 at 7:37pm:

This is miss July

Because I was addressing the stupid virtue signalling PC crap about an indigenous name without any though that there were any beyond Aboriginals.

Was it worth the time to change how we measure things? Why did we adopt the metric system?

The 13 month calendar is the metric system of the calendar.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #33 - Dec 18th, 2020 at 7:56pm

Auggie wrote on Dec 18th, 2020 at 7:41pm:

This is miss July

Was it worth the time to change how we measure things? Why did we adopt the metric system?

I learned both systems at school, I have no problem with either. We changed money when I was almost 7 and the metric system came in about half way through my schooling. In fact I seem to infuriate my kids when I talk in inches etc...

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #34 - Dec 18th, 2020 at 8:04pm

Setanta wrote on Dec 18th, 2020 at 7:56pm:

This is miss July

I learned both systems at school, I have no problem with either. We changed money when I was almost 7 and the metric system came in about half way through my schooling. In fact I seem to infuriate my kids when I talk in inches etc...

So, learn the new calendar and get used to it.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #35 - Dec 18th, 2020 at 8:04pm

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #36 - Dec 18th, 2020 at 8:06pm

Auggie wrote on Dec 18th, 2020 at 8:04pm:

This is miss July

But why? For what purpose? Just so it looks neat for you? What would the cost be and who would bear it?

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #37 - Dec 18th, 2020 at 8:15pm

Setanta wrote on Dec 18th, 2020 at 8:06pm:

This is miss July

But why? For what purpose? Just so it looks neat for you? What would the cost be and who would bear it?

What was the purpose of adopting the metric system or adopting decimalized currency? Why have a currency system where there's 100 cents in a dollar and we have 5, 10, 20, 50c etc...

Why not stick to the old shilling, farthing, threepence, sixpence, half penny etc.

The answer is because it's easier and more logical, and makes sense in a modern day economy.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #38 - Dec 18th, 2020 at 8:22pm

Auggie wrote on Dec 18th, 2020 at 8:15pm:
Setanta wrote on Dec 18th, 2020 at 8:06pm:

This is miss July

What was the purpose of adopting the metric system or adopting decimalized currency? Why have a currency system where there's 100 cents in a dollar and we have 5, 10, 20, 50c etc...

Why not stick to the old shilling, farthing, threepence, sixpence, half penny etc.

The answer is because it's easier and more logical, and makes sense in a modern day economy.

As I've said, I've lived with both, no difference. You work with what you have to. There was no need of a change but there was a change. People travel along regardless. On the other hand why make things change just because you think it's a good idea? A rose by any name...

If society was starting from scratch, you may have many points in all the things you propose but that is not where we are...

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #39 - Dec 19th, 2020 at 11:02am

My major issue is these "intercalendary" days that seem to be in every one of your scenarios

- What would be the date of birth of someone who was born on one of these days?
- would people get paid for working on this day given that it actually lengthens the week?
- how would you date any document you signed on that day?

These intercalendary days would create more inconvenience than any alleged benefit from having days matching dates which for most people is a non issue

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #40 - Dec 19th, 2020 at 11:06am

Auggie wrote on Dec 15th, 2020 at 6:24pm:
Like my predecessor, Augustus Caesar, I think it's time to implement calendar reform in Australia.

There are several proposals, which I will list below.

World Calendar
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Calendar

This is a good proposal. The first day of the year, 1st Jan is always on a Sunday (as it should be). Each quarter begins on Sunday and ends on a Saturday.

There is an extra day at the end of the year called 'Wordsday' which doesn't belong to any one day and is between the 31st December and 1st January. During leap years, there is an additional day after June which also doesn't belong to any day.

Symmetry454

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symmetry454

This one is not too bad. Each quarter follows a 4-5-4 structure. 4 weeks, 5 weeks then 4 weeks. This ensures that every day falls on the same day and that weeks are equal.

The only downside to this calendar is that during every leap year there is an additional 'week' tagged on at the end of December (making 35 days instead of 28 days). Whilst this isn't an issue per se, would a person whose born in the last week of a leap year celebrate their birthday in the first of January in the off months? And would this accurately reflect their age?

International Fixed Calendar
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Fixed_Calendar

This one is my favourite! 13 months with 28 days per month. At the end of each year there is an extra day called 'Year Day' which is intercalendary (doesn't fall on any day). In a leap year there is an additional intercalendary day.

The extra month would need to be placed before March in order to preserve the naming order of the old Roman Calendar.

I like the 13 month Calendar. Also known as the 'Moon' Calendar.

Australia is still running a Calendar that's like driving a very old out-dated car.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #41 - Dec 21st, 2020 at 5:43pm

The_Barnacle wrote on Dec 19th, 2020 at 11:02am:
My major issue is these "intercalendary" days that seem to be in every one of your scenarios

- What would be the date of birth of someone who was born on one of these days?
- would people get paid for working on this day given that it actually lengthens the week?
- how would you date any document you signed on that day?

These intercalendary days would create more inconvenience than any alleged benefit from having days matching dates which for most people is a non issue

So, the two intercalednary days are 'Year Day' and 'Leap Day'.

Simple answer is: we can have a specific date notation for that day, i.e. YD/2021 or LD/2021. Regarding work and pay, those two days would be considered public holidays, so people would get paid at the public holiday rate.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #42 - Dec 21st, 2020 at 5:47pm

Just reset from Day Zero.... she'll be right......

Grapplember has a nice ring to it......

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #43 - Dec 21st, 2020 at 7:30pm

Christmas day would be on 25th December, which would be a Thursday (if Monday was the first day of the week). Friday would be Boxing Day; Sunday would be December 28, then Year Day (public holiday), then Jan 1 (which we would also make a public holiday).

That's a 6 day weekend!

What's not to love about that!

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #44 - Dec 21st, 2020 at 8:24pm

Auggie wrote on Dec 21st, 2020 at 7:30pm:
Christmas day would be on 25th December, which would be a Thursday (if Monday was the first day of the week). Friday would be Boxing Day; Sunday would be December 28, then Year Day (public holiday), then Jan 1 (which we would also make a public holiday).

That's a 6 day weekend!

What's not to love about that!

Hate to piss on your parade, bro... but wake me up when we've worked out DST. Zzzzz

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print