Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Calendar Reform (Read 2402 times)
Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Calendar Reform
Dec 15th, 2020 at 6:24pm

Like my predecessor, Augustus Caesar, I think it's time to implement calendar reform in Australia.

There are several proposals, which I will list below.

World Calendar
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Calendar

This is a good proposal. The first day of the year, 1st Jan is always on a Sunday (as it should be). Each quarter begins on Sunday and ends on a Saturday.

There is an extra day at the end of the year called 'Wordsday' which doesn't belong to any one day and is between the 31st December and 1st January. During leap years, there is an additional day after June which also doesn't belong to any day.

Symmetry454

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symmetry454

This one is not too bad. Each quarter follows a 4-5-4 structure. 4 weeks, 5 weeks then 4 weeks. This ensures that every day falls on the same day and that weeks are equal.

The only downside to this calendar is that during every leap year there is an additional 'week' tagged on at the end of December (making 35 days instead of 28 days). Whilst this isn't an issue per se, would a person whose born in the last week of a leap year celebrate their birthday in the first of January in the off months? And would this accurately reflect their age?

International Fixed Calendar
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Fixed_Calendar

This one is my favourite! 13 months with 28 days per month. At the end of each year there is an extra day called 'Year Day' which is intercalendary (doesn't fall on any day). In a leap year there is an additional intercalendary day.

The extra month would need to be placed before March in order to preserve the naming order of the old Roman Calendar.

The Progressive President

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Re: Calendar Reform
Reply #1 - Dec 15th, 2020 at 6:39pm

Thirteen months of 28 days and a public holiday on No Day .....

We'll call the new month Grapplerary .... in honour of the saint of OzPol trying to reach out and teach you all....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #2 - Dec 15th, 2020 at 7:45pm

Next you will be asking for the imperial measurement system be replaced by some metric system or other.

It's madness I tell you madness.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #3 - Dec 16th, 2020 at 6:07pm

Valkie wrote on Dec 15th, 2020 at 7:45pm:
Next you will be asking for the imperial measurement system be replaced by some metric system or other.

Why is it madness?

Why should the first day of the year NOT be a Sunday?

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #4 - Dec 16th, 2020 at 6:22pm

Auggie wrote on Dec 16th, 2020 at 6:07pm:

Why is it madness?

Simply because Monday is the first day of the week.

It's in the big book.

"And on the seventh day (sunday) God rested."

That means Sunday is the seventh day and Monday is the first.

SIMPLES.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #5 - Dec 16th, 2020 at 7:45pm

Valkie wrote on Dec 16th, 2020 at 6:22pm:

Why is it madness?

It's in the big book.

SIMPLES.

Well, why shouldn't the first day of the year be a monday?

Let's try again.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Dec 16th, 2020 at 9:26pm

What happened to the proposal for Grapplerary, the 13th Month?   I thought that was hewn from living rock....

If you're going to be picky - then make it Grappluary... jeez - can't please some...

... and on the Eighth Day he woke up wondering what he had done over the past seven days..... man... what a wild party......

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Dec 16th, 2020 at 9:45pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Dec 16th, 2020 at 9:26pm:
What happened to the proposal for Grapplerary, the 13th Month?   I thought that was hewn from living rock....

If you're going to be picky - then make it Grappluary... jeez - can't please some...

... and on the Eighth Day he woke up wondering what he had done over the past seven days..... man... what a wild party......

I liked yours best grap....as long as it marks in all the holidays..with double time and a half of course....no point otherwise....

I am ok with  Jan 1st  being  a Monday as long as the 31.Dec is a Sunday.....

its too confusing otherwise....

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Dec 17th, 2020 at 1:06am

cods wrote on Dec 16th, 2020 at 9:45pm:

I liked yours best grap....as long as it marks in all the holidays..with double time and a half of course....no point otherwise....

I am ok with  Jan 1st  being  a Monday as long as the 31.Dec is a Sunday.....

its too confusing otherwise....

Dang - kids finished school today - tomorrow and onwards will be hell... amazing how many of the kids at the high school across the road have cars... I was lucky to afford the school bus..... three pence, a windfall if you could 'skip the duc' and not pay for the trip by slipping past him in the crowd.   Smiley

― John Adams

IP Logged

The Heartless Felon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Dec 17th, 2020 at 4:31am

The French Revolutionary Calendar (or Republican Calendar) was officially adopted in France on October 24, 1793 and abolished on 1 January 1806 by Emperor Napoleon I. It was used again briefly during under the Paris Commune in 1871. The French also established a new clock, in which the day was divided in ten hours of a hundred minutes of a hundred seconds - exactly 100,000 seconds per day.

The calendar was adopted more than one year after the advent of the First Republic (there was no year 1), after a long debate involving the mathematicians Romme and Monge, the poets Chénier and Fabre d’ Eglantine and the painter David. The mathematicians contributed equal month division, and a decimal measures of time. The poets contributed the name of the days, choosing the names of plants, domestic animals and tools; the months rhyme three by three, according to the "sonority" of the seasons.

Hmmm...

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #10 - Dec 17th, 2020 at 5:49pm

It's a bit of mouthful on the tongue. The 13th day of Grappluary....

The original name for the 13th month was 'Sol' which fell between June and July. However, I would add a new month before March. This is because the months September, October, November and December actually means 7, 8, 9 and 10. You see, the original Roman calendar was 10 months, with the first month being March and December being the last month. The Romans then added two additional months prior to March.

So, in order to retain the Roman tradition, March to December shall remain the same, but any additional month shall be inserted before March.

So, in your case, it would be January, February, Grappluary, March, April....

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #11 - Dec 17th, 2020 at 6:59pm

The Heartless Felon wrote on Dec 17th, 2020 at 4:31am:
The French Revolutionary Calendar (or Republican Calendar) was officially adopted in France on October 24, 1793 and abolished on 1 January 1806 by Emperor Napoleon I. It was used again briefly during under the Paris Commune in 1871. The French also established a new clock, in which the day was divided in ten hours of a hundred minutes of a hundred seconds - exactly 100,000 seconds per day.

The calendar was adopted more than one year after the advent of the First Republic (there was no year 1), after a long debate involving the mathematicians Romme and Monge, the poets Chénier and Fabre d’ Eglantine and the painter David. The mathematicians contributed equal month division, and a decimal measures of time. The poets contributed the name of the days, choosing the names of plants, domestic animals and tools; the months rhyme three by three, according to the "sonority" of the seasons.

Hmmm...

An even older French calendar, pre-roman, when the day started at nightfall. At least they are practiced in it.

Perhaps we should use the Mayan calendar, we are living in the afterlife and the world ended in 2012. Although I've always wondered how a circular thing, calendar in this case, has a beginning and an end.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Dec 17th, 2020 at 7:17pm

Some 'mystics' will tell you the 13th month was Arachne - The Spider - midway between
Taurus and Gemini and allegedly with enormous powers.  Bob Dylan is one such.

Grappluary do?  13th of Grappluary rolls off the tongue a bit... easier than Jan-U-Ary or Febry...

Grapptober?  Not Grappmember.... brrr.. shades of Austin Powers...

Grappmember - he's the man, the man with the ironic touch,
Sarcastic touch (da doom, da doom da doom da doo)
Golden words he will pour in your ear,
But your ears can't define what is clear,
blah, blah, blah..

― John Adams

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #13 - Dec 17th, 2020 at 7:23pm

Auggie wrote on Dec 16th, 2020 at 7:45pm:

Why is it madness?

It's in the big book.

SIMPLES.

Well, why shouldn't the first day of the year be a monday?

Let's try again.

Let's try one more time, why does it matter what day the year starts on? Who gives a F? Why not in that case do away with names altogether and just use numbers. 1/1/1/1, first day of the first week in the first month of year 1.

IP Logged

The Heartless Felon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Dec 18th, 2020 at 5:35am

Why is it madness?

It's in the big book.

SIMPLES.

Not everyone reads the same book...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print