Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Leaning tower of Mascot ... tourist attraction? (Read 699 times)
Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Leaning tower of Mascot ... tourist attraction?
Dec 14th, 2020 at 1:29pm

Could Australia's high rise buildings become tourist attractions like the leaning tower of Pisa?

It shames Australian engineering and Australian council oversight of buildings.

The problems have not been identified and solved in 18 months which implies the problems could be more serious than currently perceived to be.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-14/mascot-towers-leaning-and-unstable-letter...

Quote:
'Leaning and unstable' Mascot Towers poses 'genuine safety risk to public', letter claims
By Tim Swanston

Sydney's trouble-plagued Mascot Towers are "leaning" and remain so unstable, businesses in the building will no longer be accessible from Friday, a legal letter has revealed.

Key points:
The development was evacuated last year after cracks were found in support structures
Owners now face a multi-million-dollar repair bill
According to a legal letter, the building remains unsafe 18 months after the initial damage was found
Such is the risk to public safety, the owners of shops and restaurants on the building's ground floor have been told an exclusion zone will be set up around some areas next week.

The dangers were revealed in a letter from lawyers representing the building's Owners Corporation, which was sent to business owners last week.

"Our client has been advised by the engineers for 'Mascot Towers' building that the facades of the buildings are leaning and unstable and has identified a genuine safety risk to the public on both the Bourke Street and Church Street boundaries," the letter reads.

"On 4 November 2020 SafeWork NSW attended the site and acknowledged the advice of the engineers that the facades are an immediate safety concern for which an exclusion zone must be established.

"You should assume that as and from 18 December 2020 your lot will no longer be accessible.

"Owner occupiers and tenants will not be able to trade from the lot for an indefinite period of time from this date." 
« Last Edit: Dec 14th, 2020 at 1:35pm by Laugh till you cry »  

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Leaning tower of Mascot ... tourist attraction?
Reply #1 - Dec 14th, 2020 at 2:28pm

thats a shocker  I feel so much for those people....this is an engineers problem by the look of things.....who were the engineers on this project?    who passed it in the council??....unstable land.....so thats the owners fault???? Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

its a bloody disgrace and not the first for NSW......

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #2 - Dec 14th, 2020 at 3:02pm

No body responsible seems to want to ante up and pay the costs.... Caveat Emptor.....

... I didn't know there was a cave at Emptor - where is that?

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #3 - Dec 14th, 2020 at 3:20pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Dec 14th, 2020 at 3:02pm:
No body responsible seems to want to ante up and pay the costs.... Caveat Emptor.....

People are terribly undereducated on the risks of buying into a tower block and there's a very short list of great developers doing them in Sydney.

IBI

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Dec 14th, 2020 at 3:31pm

Gordon wrote on Dec 14th, 2020 at 3:20pm:

People are terribly undereducated on the risks of buying into a tower block and there's a very short list of great developers doing them in Sydney.

The Gold Rush is in full swing and they simply don't do all the homework... bad news when it turns into a disaster.

Them's the perils of becoming a Third World country - we can have the same building standards for blocks of homes as Turkey, the old USSR, Farkmanyistan and so forth.... one li'l ol' earthquake and down goes all before.... one li'l ol' mistake over the drainage and argh... she be leanin' t' port, Cap'n!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Dec 14th, 2020 at 4:35pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Dec 14th, 2020 at 3:31pm:

The Gold Rush is in full swing and they simply don't do all the homework... bad news when it turns into a disaster.

Them's the perils of becoming a Third World country - we can have the same building standards for blocks of homes as Turkey, the old USSR, Farkmanyistan and so forth.... one li'l ol' earthquake and down goes all before.... one li'l ol' mistake over the drainage and argh... she be leanin' t' port, Cap'n!

or just plain old fashioned  corruption at the top....

didnt Wollongong council have trouble making deals with developers....?????......so far I havent seen  one person who works for the Planning dept    face any form of questioning on this awful problem and it goes on and on.....shonky land sales... where do they start??????????????????....thats right at the top..

IP Logged

Mix_Master
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Dec 14th, 2020 at 10:00pm

All of which, while valid, leaves aside the risks of close by development work on another tower.

I remember reading about a place in - I think - Manhattan, the costs of which would make either of these developments look like Public Housing. $USD4M was, I recall, the minimum cost for a studio in that place.

It, too, took on a decided lean...

*cue all and sundry scurrying for financial cover*.

I feel for those in that situation. A mortgage still to pay. A completely unsaleable asset, which you can't live in or derive income from...and six figure "make good" bill on top.

Something to be said for solid, free-standing houses I reckon.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Dec 14th, 2020 at 10:03pm

cods wrote on Dec 14th, 2020 at 4:35pm:
Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Dec 14th, 2020 at 3:31pm:

or just plain old fashioned  corruption at the top....

didnt Wollongong council have trouble making deals with developers....?????......so far I havent seen  one person who works for the Planning dept    face any form of questioning on this awful problem and it goes on and on.....shonky land sales... where do they start??????????????????....thats right at the top..

Cods - I am impressed!  Now you are getting it right about 'city hall' in all of its manifestations.... come on over to the Bright Side of The Force!

I've seen some beauties passed by councils.... one house that the ex's daughter and then hubby bought didn't pass 'the old guy' test - the drainage was dastardly - water that collected in the back yard ran straight into an opening in the middle of the back wall and under the house - no pipes or anything there to take it away.... eventually they sold it because the floor had black mould and the kids were getting sick.  We (the oldies - I'm now the ex's daughter's sort of dad) offered to come down and help and lend expertise/experience to fix it - hubby wouldn't have a bar of it... He Didn't Work On The House On His Holidays!  Oh, well...  Roll Eyes

― John Adams

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Dec 15th, 2020 at 6:06am

Laugh till you cry wrote on Dec 14th, 2020 at 1:29pm:
Could Australia's high rise buildings become tourist attractions like the leaning tower of Pisa?

It shames Australian engineering and Australian council oversight of buildings.

The problems have not been identified and solved in 18 months which implies the problems could be more serious than currently perceived to be.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-14/mascot-towers-leaning-and-unstable-letter...

Quote:
'Leaning and unstable' Mascot Towers poses 'genuine safety risk to public', letter claims
By Tim Swanston

Sydney's trouble-plagued Mascot Towers are "leaning" and remain so unstable, businesses in the building will no longer be accessible from Friday, a legal letter has revealed.

Key points:
The development was evacuated last year after cracks were found in support structures
Owners now face a multi-million-dollar repair bill
According to a legal letter, the building remains unsafe 18 months after the initial damage was found
Such is the risk to public safety, the owners of shops and restaurants on the building's ground floor have been told an exclusion zone will be set up around some areas next week.

The dangers were revealed in a letter from lawyers representing the building's Owners Corporation, which was sent to business owners last week.

"Our client has been advised by the engineers for 'Mascot Towers' building that the facades of the buildings are leaning and unstable and has identified a genuine safety risk to the public on both the Bourke Street and Church Street boundaries," the letter reads.

"On 4 November 2020 SafeWork NSW attended the site and acknowledged the advice of the engineers that the facades are an immediate safety concern for which an exclusion zone must be established.

"You should assume that as and from 18 December 2020 your lot will no longer be accessible.

"Owner occupiers and tenants will not be able to trade from the lot for an indefinite period of time from this date." 

You could be a top story gargoyle.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Dec 15th, 2020 at 6:17am

Wasn't mascot towers built by John Elias
As a way to launder money from his drug operations
I seem to remember him being in cahoots with John Ibrahim
Who is a dodgy kings cross warlord
« Last Edit: Dec 15th, 2020 at 6:50am by aquascoot »  

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #10 - Dec 15th, 2020 at 8:29am

Wasn't it built on reclaimed land?

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #11 - Dec 15th, 2020 at 8:54am

Bobby. wrote on Dec 15th, 2020 at 8:29am:
Wasn't it built on reclaimed land?

Mascot, Botany, Homebush are so heavily polluted from heavy industry you'd have to be nuts to buy there.

IBI

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print