Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
$20 crayfish at Coles, snap em up (Read 1562 times)
issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Re: $20 crayfish at Coles, snap em up
Reply #30 - Dec 24th, 2020 at 5:09pm

No $20 crays at my Coles.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #31 - Dec 24th, 2020 at 5:54pm

Same here, havent seen them. Saw some rather small $27 dollar cooked ones outside  the fishmongers on iced trays crawling in blowflies though. No thanks. Not sure how they get away with that sh!t but common practise. health department needs to get involved. But no, the mythical 20 dollar Coles crayfish has been a unicorn hunt for me.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #32 - Dec 24th, 2020 at 6:55pm

Valkie wrote on Dec 24th, 2020 at 8:25am:
I still cannot see peoples attraction to what amounts to be a salt water cockroach.

Prawns, lobsters and crabs feed off the offal on the seabed.

Basically cockroaches.

YUK

Do you eat pigs?

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #33 - Dec 24th, 2020 at 7:49pm

issuevoter wrote on Dec 24th, 2020 at 5:09pm:
No $20 crays at my Coles.

Is catching crabs from a $20 hooker in a Woolworths car-park the same kinda thing?   Undecided

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #34 - Dec 24th, 2020 at 10:09pm

I worked in Halifax Canada in 1991 and in crayfish season restaurants had all you can eat for $20 and it kept coming.

Had a similar experience in Thailand in 1985 where I ordered a crayfish dish and I found it was meant for four people. Couldn't eat it all.

In both instances it was too much, and a turn-off and crayfish no longer interests me.

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #35 - Dec 25th, 2020 at 9:36am

Laugh till you cry wrote on Dec 24th, 2020 at 10:09pm:
I worked in Halifax Canada in 1991 and in crayfish season restaurants had all you can eat for $20 and it kept coming.

Had a similar experience in Thailand in 1985 where I ordered a crayfish dish and I found it was meant for four people. Couldn't eat it all.

In both instances it was too much, and a turn-off and crayfish no longer interests me.

Is that because you don't know the difference between crayfish & lobster?

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #36 - Dec 25th, 2020 at 9:41am

Valkie wrote on Dec 24th, 2020 at 8:25am:
I still cannot see peoples attraction to what amounts to be a salt water cockroach.

Prawns, lobsters and crabs feed off the offal on the seabed.

Basically cockroaches.

YUK

The attraction is 'flavour' . If cockroaches taste the same let me know,.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Laugh till you cry
Gold Member

In your happy place
Reply #37 - Dec 25th, 2020 at 9:51am

Gnads wrote on Dec 25th, 2020 at 9:36am:
Laugh till you cry wrote on Dec 24th, 2020 at 10:09pm:

Is that because you don't know the difference between crayfish & lobster?

You are correct. I should have said lobster. I wasn't aware there was a difference.

Please don't thank me. Effusive fawning and obeisance of disciples, mendicants, and foot-kissers embarrass me.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #38 - Dec 25th, 2020 at 10:33am

It's a bait (no pun intended) and switch scam.

When Colesworth announced they would have sushimi grade tuna I asked the lady at the seafood counter if the had any. She said no sorry, I pressed her and asked what day and time it comes in. She said they get 500gr once or twice a week.

IBI

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #39 - Dec 25th, 2020 at 11:16am

They should ban recreational catching of Crays.
(A lot sold under the table to restaurants)

Must take all available measures to make Crays more abundant along the shallow Coastal fringes where many species rely on Kelp Forests to protect 'eggs' towards maturity and growth.
Urchin Barrens litter the coastline in an ever thinning environment.
Less Crays - means a less of everything else, except Urchins.

Xmas as an excuse for a frenzy on Crays? No way.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #40 - Dec 25th, 2020 at 8:24pm

I am lobsterd out , i have managed to save enough for a lobster sandwich tomorrow.

There should be an investigation into this Coles/Wollies lobster scam.

The cray boats are doing overtime in the West i hear so lobsters maybe plentiful soon.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #41 - Dec 26th, 2020 at 6:54am

Jasin wrote on Dec 25th, 2020 at 11:16am:
They should ban recreational catching of Crays.
(A lot sold under the table to restaurants)

Must take all available measures to make Crays more abundant along the shallow Coastal fringes where many species rely on Kelp Forests to protect 'eggs' towards maturity and growth.
Urchin Barrens litter the coastline in an ever thinning environment.
Less Crays - means a less of everything else, except Urchins.

Xmas as an excuse for a frenzy on Crays? No way.

Why? It's not banned in NZ. Heavily regulated just like here.

The number of amatuers/recreational that can/are able or should I say game to dive to get the odd cray is not the worry.

That is unless you count the organised groups who illegally plunder all sorts of seafood resources around our coastlines. They're the ones black market supplying restaurants.

Diving & catching/spearing crays isn't that easy for everyone.

I used to go out with a mate & his father when I was a kid in FNQ in the late 60's early 70's..... if he got 4 or 5 for the day that was a good day.

They never tried to take too many.

As for sea urchins destroying kelp forests(tasmania & southern states) you can thank the modern shipping trade & ships captains not caring where they dump their ballast water.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #42 - Dec 26th, 2020 at 9:41pm

New Zealanders are smarter than Aussies. They rotate their spearfishing zones to allow recovery. They worked out a lot of fish 'leave' areas of active spearfishing (and line fishing) due to stress also.

It's got to the point where there is so much more 'recreational' activity on and in the water these days, that it could be having a heavy impact like Commercial did ages ago. I've seen spots hammered by over 50 spearos in various groupings during holiday periods. The place is pulverised and many just left dead on the sand bottom - killed just for the hit, more than the feed.

One year 76 Aboriginals were caught using their 'traditional rights' to sell fish to many restaurants/fishn'chip shops under the table. Nothing happened to them though.

I'm sure shipping dumpings contribute to the cause.
Sydney Harbour Kelp still looks more sickly than kelp further away from the city.

No Crays.
No Kelp.
No everything else.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #43 - Dec 28th, 2020 at 7:28am

Jasin wrote on Dec 26th, 2020 at 9:41pm:
New Zealanders are smarter than Aussies. They rotate their spearfishing zones to allow recovery. They worked out a lot of fish 'leave' areas of active spearfishing (and line fishing) due to stress also.

It's got to the point where there is so much more 'recreational' activity on and in the water these days, that it could be having a heavy impact like Commercial did ages ago. I've seen spots hammered by over 50 spearos in various groupings during holiday periods. The place is pulverised and many just left dead on the sand bottom - killed just for the hit, more than the feed.

One year 76 Aboriginals were caught using their 'traditional rights' to sell fish to many restaurants/fishn'chip shops under the table. Nothing happened to them though.

I'm sure shipping dumpings contribute to the cause.
Sydney Harbour Kelp still looks more sickly than kelp further away from the city.

No Crays.
No Kelp.
No everything else.

If Kiwis are so smart & it's so good over there how come 568,000/2.3% of Aust population are here? Including you.

NSW Govt Fisheries have regulations for Traditional/Customary for Aboriginals & it doesn't include them selling to restaurants unless they are a registered commercial fishing business.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print