Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
$20 crayfish at Coles, snap em up (Read 1566 times)
Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: $20 crayfish at Coles, snap em up
Reply #15 - Dec 16th, 2020 at 6:51am

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Dec 15th, 2020 at 8:09pm:
Are these rock lobsters they're selling related to the rock spiders over in WA?  I always thought the rules were different and smaller lobsters were being taken over there - didn't realise they are a different size.

Do you need a licence to pot them here?  Our local lads are crazy - I've seen 'em going out in big waves in a 10ft tinny to check their lobster pots - three blokes in the boat.

Yes it's regulated Graps ..... all rules apply to everyone equally.  Grin Grin Grin Grin

Except if you're -

Quote:
Aboriginal cultural fishing
Protecting and promoting Aboriginal cultural fishing, along with recognition of native title rights, are part of fisheries resource management in NSW. In supporting Aboriginal people’s access to and use of fisheries resources, authorities (or permits) may be issued on occasions to ensure these activities can be lawfully undertaken in line with conditions. Activities approved from time to time may include the use of equipment that extends beyond what can be used recreationally (e.g. mesh and haul nets) and may include access to areas that are closed to certain activities. NSW DPI works with Aboriginal cultural fishing applicants to ensure the activities have minimal impact on the marine environment and that our fisheries resources are protected for continued use by all sectors.  Further information can be found on the cultural fishing pages.

Look at that even get to use mesh & haul nets illegal for everyone else.

In excerpt picture below - even allowed extended bag & possession limits.

They are NSW regulations Graps.

https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fishing/recreational/fishing-rules-and-regs

Western Australia too - only not as detailed as NSW but easy to see that they can use whatever equipment they want.

http://www.fish.wa.gov.au/Documents/customary_fishing/customary_fishing_policy.p...

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #16 - Dec 16th, 2020 at 7:38am

Gnads wrote on Dec 16th, 2020 at 6:51am:
Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Dec 15th, 2020 at 8:09pm:
Are these rock lobsters they're selling related to the rock spiders over in WA?  I always thought the rules were different and smaller lobsters were being taken over there - didn't realise they are a different size.

Do you need a licence to pot them here?  Our local lads are crazy - I've seen 'em going out in big waves in a 10ft tinny to check their lobster pots - three blokes in the boat.

Yes it's regulated Graps ..... all rules apply to everyone equally.  Grin Grin Grin Grin

Except if you're -

Quote:
Aboriginal cultural fishing
Protecting and promoting Aboriginal cultural fishing, along with recognition of native title rights, are part of fisheries resource management in NSW. In supporting Aboriginal people’s access to and use of fisheries resources, authorities (or permits) may be issued on occasions to ensure these activities can be lawfully undertaken in line with conditions. Activities approved from time to time may include the use of equipment that extends beyond what can be used recreationally (e.g. mesh and haul nets) and may include access to areas that are closed to certain activities. NSW DPI works with Aboriginal cultural fishing applicants to ensure the activities have minimal impact on the marine environment and that our fisheries resources are protected for continued use by all sectors.  Further information can be found on the cultural fishing pages.

Look at that even get to use mesh & haul nets illegal for everyone else.

In excerpt picture below - even allowed extended bag & possession limits.

They are NSW regulations Graps.

https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fishing/recreational/fishing-rules-and-regs

Western Australia too - only not as detailed as NSW but easy to see that they can use whatever equipment they want.

http://www.fish.wa.gov.au/Documents/customary_fishing/customary_fishing_policy.p...

A few were charged while was down the Far South Coast, for abalone taking.  They claimed in court it was 'traditional' and the court said so is this punishment traditional for the offence.... next ....

I've 'fished' inland with a Kaffir - he used an illegal gill net and a boat .... caught so many mullet in a lake you had to wonder what he'd do with them.  We got a couple and cooked 'em on the open fire in foil with butter and garlic... washed from the floodwater they were... nice ...

These... errrr.. 'mesh & haul nets' ... are they... errr.. hand made by any chance?   Lips Sealed    Grin

" NSW DPI works with Aboriginal cultural fishing applicants to ensure the activities have minimal impact on the marine environment and that our fisheries resources are protected for continued use by all sectors. "   

Maybe you should read that blurb I put from that Russian defector.... this sounds like that kind of 'reasoning' of the 'educated' in 'government' positions .... so if I go catch a nice Schnapper in a Marine Park, that single fish will have minimal impact just like a Kaffir's net, so it'll be kosher???

Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Reply #17 - Dec 16th, 2020 at 11:03am

freediver wrote on Dec 13th, 2020 at 8:05pm:
How much do they make JD?

Well I can answer that for you FD.

Last year at about this time crayfish were $140 each.

Today they are $20 each and they still make a profit.

That's how much they make.......!

You can thank globalization and free trade....... Wink Smiley

1. There has never been a more serious assault on our standard of living than Anthropogenic Global Warming..Ajax
2. "One hour of freedom is worth more than 40 years of slavery &  prison" Regas Feraeos

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #18 - Dec 16th, 2020 at 6:26pm

Ajax wrote on Dec 16th, 2020 at 11:03am:
freediver wrote on Dec 13th, 2020 at 8:05pm:
How much do they make JD?

Well I can answer that for you FD.

Last year at about this time crayfish were $140 each.

Today they are $20 each and they still make a profit.

That's how much they make.......!

You can thank globalization and free trade....... Wink Smiley

They only make $120?

How much profit do you think they make selling them for $20?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #19 - Dec 18th, 2020 at 4:24pm

Can't find the crayfish anywhere in the supermarkets. Crayfish will only show up on sale at the seafood stores.

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - Dec 18th, 2020 at 5:30pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Dec 18th, 2020 at 4:24pm:
Can't find the crayfish anywhere in the supermarkets. Crayfish will only show up on sale at the seafood stores.

The internet is saying that they have been flying off the shelf and have imposed a four per person limit, people must have been buying them by the trolley load.

You could try checking with your local coles/woolies to see when they restock.

They are called lobster by most.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #21 - Dec 18th, 2020 at 7:28pm

I noticed barra dirt cheap right in the middle of the covid lockdown. Got some for myself. Then rang someone and went back to get some more for them. Got the last few fillets. They were not flying off the shelf because of the customers, but because all the staff were buying it for themselves. I guess they do not want to create an expectation of cheap seafood.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #22 - Dec 23rd, 2020 at 7:45pm

What a ripoff, nobody can get them anywhere. i ended up getting two of them for 70 bux at the fish monger to save.

I will be eating the southern rock lobster on the day though, nothing but the best will do on special occasions.

People are furious and rightly so.

Apparently ute loads of these crays were seen flying out the backdoor of Coles.

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/shoppers-fuming-over-no-lobsters-coles-woolworths-06...

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #23 - Dec 24th, 2020 at 8:25am

I still cannot see peoples attraction to what amounts to be a salt water cockroach.

Prawns, lobsters and crabs feed off the offal on the seabed.

Basically cockroaches.

YUK

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #24 - Dec 24th, 2020 at 8:29am

Valkie wrote on Dec 24th, 2020 at 8:25am:
I still cannot see peoples attraction to what amounts to be a salt water cockroach.

Prawns, lobsters and crabs feed off the offal on the seabed.

Basically cockroaches.

YUK

Filter feeders in the main .....

and they taste great.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #25 - Dec 24th, 2020 at 11:03am

Prawns: Cockroaches of the Sea
Oysters: Snots of the Sea
Crayfish: Centipedes of the Sea

I hardly catch Crays for myself or others. I don't consider myself clever enough. Once got my hand jammed long ago by a cray. It pushed my hand over it up against a rock with such force I couldn't release and free myself. Panic did set in, as my breath hold was limited at just 5m deep. Somehow my hand slid out of the glove thankfully and I managed to surface with a bumhole that went from 50c to just 5c. Always been a bit shy of grabbing a Cray since then.

Also, Crays are etremely important to plant growth underwater - as they are one of the main predators of Urchins and keep urchin-barrens at bay.

Sydney Coastal waters have declined in habitation with many Urchin Barrens littering our waters. With Commercial and Recreational and Aboriginal 'pilfering' of Crays - hardly much Crays are keeping the Urchins down.
Even the Abalone Industry is up in arms as Kelp Forests and Meadows produce Abalone in oxygen rich waters - let alone a lot of other things. Urchin Barrens are empty dead zones.

Somehow Crays (Big Packhorse Crays) in New Zealand are still plentiful. As they 'rotate' taking zones for starters.

People should be pay $1,000 for a Cray. They are becoming very sparse along NSW's immediate coastline. The numerous Urchin Barrens are proof enough.

STOP BUYING CRAYFISH

Prawns are protesting in discrimination because they lose their eyes but Crayfish don't? Equal Rights for Prawns! Angry

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #26 - Dec 24th, 2020 at 11:08am

Also Australia. The more Kelp and other aquatic environments mean 'MORE FISH'! St Georges Basin was once a stripped environment from over-fishing and methods that turned it into one giant mud/silt zone of emptiness.

Having swum/dived around it. The Basin has recovered a lot with much Aquatic Plants returning. Vast fields of tall Sea-Grass becomes a Nursery for many species to breed. Australian record Tailor caught (day after I was fishing) and many more 'big ones' lately. All because of an oxygenated water zone thanks to plants. Things have improved.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #27 - Dec 24th, 2020 at 12:11pm

At SAMTASS in Adelaide they sometimes have cray from the Bahamas $10 each.

I love cray and oysters, don’t care for prawns.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #28 - Dec 24th, 2020 at 1:17pm

At SAMTASS in Adelaide they sometimes have cray from the Bahamas $10 each.

I love cray and oysters, don’t care for prawns.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #29 - Dec 24th, 2020 at 3:50pm

There is a breed of cockroach that grows pretty big.

You guys could breed them and eat them too if you like cockroaches.

Again

YUK

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print