Send Topic Print
Accents (Read 2692 times)
The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Accents
Dec 3rd, 2020 at 3:19pm

As a kid I used to have contempt for people who spoke with a foreign accent. I used to think "why can't they speak properly?"

Now I respect people that speak with a foreign accent as it shows that they can speak more than one language.
Something that I have never been able to do

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Re: Accents
Reply #1 - Dec 3rd, 2020 at 5:17pm

People with a foreign accent probably think you cannot speak properly.

IP Logged

Mix_Master
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Dec 3rd, 2020 at 8:00pm

The_Barnacle wrote on Dec 3rd, 2020 at 3:19pm:
As a kid I used to have contempt for people who spoke with a foreign accent. I used to think "why can't they speak properly?"

Now I respect people that speak with a foreign accent as it shows that they can speak more than one language.

I listen to those who speak "broken English", and think "Their English is better than my <insert other language>.

Too many people here in Australia- a few of whom are on these boards - think their own "broken English" makes them somehow "superior" to those who actually have a second language.

At least you acknowledge that speaking a second language requires a degree of effort.*

*You may not have an "ear" for languages, but I wouldn't write-off your ability to learn one. As we (my Mrs and I ) get older, we're looking to learn at least one...to keep the brain active.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #3 - Dec 4th, 2020 at 6:18am

Mispronunciation is not accent. Take for instance the way people drop the R out of brought. "I bought my bag with me."
Here's another - amicha - for amateur. And they let people speak that way on TV.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

The Heartless Felon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Dec 4th, 2020 at 6:35am

Mix_Master wrote on Dec 3rd, 2020 at 8:00pm:
The_Barnacle wrote on Dec 3rd, 2020 at 3:19pm:

I listen to those who speak "broken English", and think "Their English is better than my <insert other language>.

Too many people here in Australia- a few of whom are on these boards - think their own "broken English" makes them somehow "superior" to those who actually have a second language.

At least you acknowledge that speaking a second language requires a degree of effort.*

*You may not have an "ear" for languages, but I wouldn't write-off your ability to learn one. As we (my Mrs and I ) get older, we're looking to learn at least one...to keep the brain active.

Have a look at Duolingo. Screen based, free, lot of languages and you go at your own pace...

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #5 - Dec 4th, 2020 at 8:46am

Australians (mostly in Cities) say ASS instead or Arse and JAIL instead of Gaol... like the Media does as well.
Americanised Australian English rules now.

But hey, Australia is populated by America and ruled by Britain. Roll Eyes That's what most of the world thinks.

One of my siblings learned many languages of his own accord. Portuguese is his favourite and he even married for a while and lived on the wonderful Azzores Islands among other things his language skills offered him. Not just language, but many other things about Cultures from afar.
Affords him a well paid job in Canberra.  Wink

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #6 - Dec 4th, 2020 at 12:38pm

LOVE: Swedish and German women speaking English.  Kiss

HATE: Lebbos/Slippery gypsies who say aks instead of ask
          Bogans who say Filum instead of film

IBI

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #7 - Dec 4th, 2020 at 2:00pm

I never begrudge people who 'try' to speak the as yet not 'official' international language (trunk of the tree) English. No matter how terrible, as long as they are making the effort.

It's the ones who can't be bothered to try and even try to fob off any attempt...
...as if their language is the superior - like the French Grin.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #8 - Dec 4th, 2020 at 2:28pm

I get annoyed by almost all Australian who can't even
pronounce the most simple words.

Example - the word - "people"

most people say poypull.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #9 - Dec 4th, 2020 at 2:32pm

Yes. The Australian 'accent' is like a precursor to things like Texting/SMS speak - both a very abbreviating language in itself. Shortening sayings like Good Day to G'day. Laziness? People in a hurry or busy 'doing' something?? Banging stones like a Convict in chains - too exhausted to talk much?

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #10 - Dec 4th, 2020 at 2:35pm

Jasin wrote on Dec 4th, 2020 at 2:32pm:
Yes. The Australian 'accent' is like a precursor to things like Texting/SMS speak - both a very abbreviating language in itself. Shortening sayings like Good Day to G'day. Laziness? People in a hurry or busy 'doing' something?? Banging stones like a Convict in chains - too exhausted to talk much?

It won't change while all out news announcers and
politicians speak the same incorrect way.
It comes from mispronouncing vowels.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #11 - Dec 4th, 2020 at 2:43pm

Bobby. wrote on Dec 4th, 2020 at 2:35pm:

Let alone calling our Gaols as 'Jails' the American way. Other 'un-australianised' use of words and sayings. A language usurpship? And a different mentality and culture to go with it? Media calls itself Australian as if its more important than anyone else in this then goes on and using words like Jail, Ass and other American words.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

The Heartless Felon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Dec 4th, 2020 at 2:43pm

Bobby. wrote on Dec 4th, 2020 at 2:35pm:

'Sup Bobby, got Irritable Vowel Syndrome?

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Dec 4th, 2020 at 3:46pm

The Tasmanian accent is pretty irritating.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #14 - Dec 4th, 2020 at 5:07pm

Johnnie wrote on Dec 4th, 2020 at 3:46pm:
The Tasmanian accent is pretty irritating.

How's that go J.D?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print