Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
I genuinely hope this isn't true... (Read 1028 times)
Mix_Master
Gold Member

Australian Politics

I genuinely hope this isn't true...
Dec 2nd, 2020 at 12:05pm

Quote:
Washington: The US Justice Department is investigating a potential crime related to funneling money to the White House in exchange for a presidential pardon, according to court documents unsealed in federal court.

US District Judge Beryl Howell has released a heavily redacted order that described what she called a "bribery-for-pardon" investigation.

https://www.theage.com.au/world/north-america/cash-for-pardon-prosecutors-probe-...

They wouldn't do that...would they?

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Re: I genuinely hope this isn't true...
Reply #1 - Dec 2nd, 2020 at 12:08pm

Mix_Master wrote on Dec 2nd, 2020 at 12:05pm:
Quote:
Washington: The US Justice Department is investigating a potential crime related to funneling money to the White House in exchange for a presidential pardon, according to court documents unsealed in federal court.

US District Judge Beryl Howell has released a heavily redacted order that described what she called a "bribery-for-pardon" investigation.

https://www.theage.com.au/world/north-america/cash-for-pardon-prosecutors-probe-...

I hate to be doing this ( defending Trump). Its possible he knows, just as possible its some grifter with access and he doesn't know about it.

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

Mix_Master
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Dec 2nd, 2020 at 12:30pm

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Dec 2nd, 2020 at 12:08pm:
Quote:

I hate to be doing this ( defending Trump). Its possible he knows, just as possible its some grifter with access and he doesn't know about it.

Fair enough.

Still, from the same article...

Quote:
Separately The New York Times reports that Trump has discussed with advisers whether to grant pre-emptive pardons to his children, to his son-in-law and to his personal lawyer Rudolph Giuliani.

I'll admit to a little confusion, here...

I mean, if they've done nothing wrong, why would they need to be pardoned...?

*shrugs*

IP Logged

SadKangaroo
Gold Member

#FightStupid

Mianjin (Brisbane)
Reply #3 - Dec 2nd, 2020 at 12:42pm

Let's say this happened to Obama, the Republicans and the right would demand, even if he didn't know, he signed the order, the buck stops with him.

I don't see why it should be any different for Trump.  His team set the rules on the playing field.

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #4 - Dec 2nd, 2020 at 1:22pm

SadKangaroo wrote on Dec 2nd, 2020 at 12:42pm:
Let's say this happened to Obama, the Republicans and the right would demand, even if he didn't know, he signed the order, the buck stops with him.

I don't see why it should be any different for Trump.  His team set the rules on the playing field.

I do agree with that.

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #5 - Dec 2nd, 2020 at 2:01pm

Quote:

Humpty's pardon of Flynn is corrupt, and has quid pro quo stamped all over it.

There is an expression I have come across.  It is 'The Pardon Kiosk.'  It is open for business.  You roll up, get a bargain price, a mere Million in a brown paper bag handed to Humpty, for a full pardon.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Dec 2nd, 2020 at 2:01pm

Didn't know you guys were into conspiracy theories

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

Mix_Master
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Dec 2nd, 2020 at 2:16pm

Bias_2012 wrote on Dec 2nd, 2020 at 2:01pm:

Which part is the conspiracy?

"Someone" investigated someone else because of potentially corrupt behaviour.

Another article I read says that no-one has been charged - yet - but that the investigation remains ongoing.

Hence the title of the thread "I genuinely hope this isn't true..."

No conspiracy theories. Just a mention of an article detailing a DOJ investigation into "possible criminal activity"...

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #8 - Dec 2nd, 2020 at 2:22pm

Not me.  I am not buying this stuff about election fraud in the hundreds of thousands of votes, you, Bias?

IP Logged

Mix_Master
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Dec 2nd, 2020 at 2:27pm

Aussie wrote on Dec 2nd, 2020 at 2:22pm:

Not me.  I am not buying this stuff about election fraud in the hundreds of thousands of votes, you, Bias?

Touche!

Grin

IP Logged

Anthony Claydon

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Dec 3rd, 2020 at 4:16am

Fraud is only the cover, there will be some but not enough.

Issue is signature matching on postal ballots, if they get a judge to force a review that can have a real impact.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #11 - Dec 3rd, 2020 at 6:35am

Quote:

Who said it was about Trump?  My first thought was it went back to the Clinton days....

The way it's worded - it's a load of hot air and doesn't even point the finger at Trump - just one of those things that happened to be aired at this time - how convenient.

We all hold Scomo (never thought I'd find myself defending him) for the unlawful killings in 2007 in Afghanistan.....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Dec 3rd, 2020 at 6:39am

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Dec 2nd, 2020 at 1:22pm:
SadKangaroo wrote on Dec 2nd, 2020 at 12:42pm:

I do agree with that.

Doesn't say it happened during his presidency.... just to be fair here.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Dec 3rd, 2020 at 6:40am

St_Biden.jpg (81 KB | 10 )
St_Biden.jpg

― John Adams

IP Logged

Mix_Master
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Dec 3rd, 2020 at 7:36am

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Dec 3rd, 2020 at 6:35am:
Quote:

Who said it was about Trump?  My first thought was it went back to the Clinton days....

The way it's worded - it's a load of hot air and doesn't even point the finger at Trump - just one of those things that happened to be aired at this time - how convenient.

We all hold Scomo (never thought I'd find myself defending him) for the unlawful killings in 2007 in Afghanistan.....

[quote]President Donald Trump dismissed the investigation conducted by his own administration as "fake news" in a tweet.[highlight]

I'm sure you can imagine Trump dismissing anything which might implicate a predecessor - esp. a Democrat predecessor - as "fake news"...Right?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print