Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
FD, have you ever admitted when you've been wrong? (Read 5342 times)
Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Re: FD, have you ever admitted when you've been wrong?
Reply #15 - Dec 1st, 2020 at 8:07am

IBI

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #16 - Dec 1st, 2020 at 9:07am

Everyone is right all the time - I'm positive in my own judgement on that!!

Are we talking core or non-core correct here?  Maybe they should all just go out and get a good correctness...... avter orl, der gorrect egonomy iss boomink unter der Liperal Kovernment vile I vly aboud Europe ad your egspence!  Now zmoke your zigar!!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Dec 1st, 2020 at 9:08am

Jasin wrote on Dec 1st, 2020 at 7:19am:
Somebody has to be right all the time.
Might as well be the boss.

I on the other hand, seek to be wrong and apologise often.
It's when I'm right, that I seem to annoy everyone.  Cheesy

Ummmmmmm................................ yes!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Reply #18 - Dec 1st, 2020 at 9:10am

Smiley

"Masks are sand in the gears of the economy" - some f-wit pollie or big business CEO.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #19 - Dec 1st, 2020 at 9:11am

Monk, Aussie, Smith and Peccary want to take over the Forum from FD. Usurpers!  Grin

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - Dec 1st, 2020 at 9:16am

Jasin wrote on Dec 1st, 2020 at 9:11am:
Monk, Aussie, Smith and Peccary want to take over the Forum from FD. Usurpers!  Grin

Well - we surpers won't take that!!

Word for today - surper (proper n).

Either you or me or some other who wishes to surp the authority of the Big Man On The Block; (alt) someone who can't eat soup without sound....

You Surper - often used as a term of derision and denouncement.  e.g. you bloody surper!!!
Me Surper (not to be confused with Middle East surpers) - when 'I' wish to take over the reins of discussion and run it my way (we just want to do things our way, eh?). 
We Surpers - a gaggle of surpers.

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody sees if flatten a car, could it be said this was trees on?  Do a Google usurp on that...

― John Adams

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #21 - Dec 1st, 2020 at 9:24am

Apparently I'm a sycophant for not trying to tear the Boss down.  Roll Eyes John Smith the Union Rep wants money from Members to make FD spend more of his money on this Forum - the way John Smith likes it to be, being a Union Rep.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Mix_Master
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #22 - Dec 1st, 2020 at 9:48am

Meaning what, exactly?

That you need to apologise more, and you are not annoying people as much as you should be?

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #23 - Dec 1st, 2020 at 9:56am

Mix_Master wrote on Dec 1st, 2020 at 9:48am:

Meaning what, exactly?

That you need to apologise more, and you are not annoying people as much as you should be?

Grin funny

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #24 - Dec 1st, 2020 at 12:46pm

freediver wrote on Nov 30th, 2020 at 9:25pm:
I once conceded that it is theoretically possible for me to be wrong. Gandalf took this as an admission that I was lying about something. Forget what. He went on about it for quite some time though.

The context:

Taking stereotyping and the 'othering' process to a whole new level, FD made the bold claim that "all muslims support genocide"

FD came up with the impeccable logic that the claim is simultaneously both "true" and "theoretically wrong".

His rationale seemed to have been "its true while ever you can't disprove it"

FD logic at its finest.

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #25 - Dec 1st, 2020 at 12:56pm

cods wrote on Dec 1st, 2020 at 7:55am:
well he was a greenie in the early days.....and they are very much in the left boat... dont you agree.?

Only because the idiocy of identity politics deems it so.

The need for action on climate change is a simple matter of scientific fact. Its about our very survival as a species. Grandstanding against it just to 'stick it to the lefties/greenies' is the height of stupidity.

Credit to FD as one of the few remaining free market 'true believers' who actually recognises the need to act on climate change.

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #26 - Dec 1st, 2020 at 1:01pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Dec 1st, 2020 at 12:46pm:
freediver wrote on Nov 30th, 2020 at 9:25pm:
I once conceded that it is theoretically possible for me to be wrong. Gandalf took this as an admission that I was lying about something. Forget what. He went on about it for quite some time though.

The context:

Taking stereotyping and the 'othering' process to a whole new level, FD made the bold claim that "all muslims support genocide"

FD came up with the impeccable logic that the claim is simultaneously both "true" and "theoretically wrong".

His rationale seemed to have been "its true while ever you can't disprove it"

FD logic at its finest.

Sounds more like feminism to me - although it's more usual to see 'wrong' but 'theoretically true'...... you know ... like taking a very wide sweep at saying 'women are forced into heterosexual relationships' (yardle) but that somehow doesn't imply that their natural state is in 'other than heterosexual relationships'.... well double plus yardle....

... or like saying that while women are paid the same hourly rate as men for the same job etc - and then some given their extra perks - women still are paid less than men...... yardle yardle double triple plus yardle...

Easy meat on a quiet Tuesday....

― John Adams

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #27 - Dec 1st, 2020 at 1:12pm

there really isnt much point in admitting error on the internet.

in face to face communications , the nuance is possible but online , people dont get any ackowledgment for admitting error and especially not for apologising.

in fact, the haters will just use an admission of error as an excuse to "pile on".

its why the internet is a force of polarisation.

what would help would be if , the more people posted, the more they were sent commentary that disagreed with them

but facebook twtter google and youtube do the exact opposite, they want you in an echo chamber where everyone agrees with you because that feels nice and who doesnt want to feel nice.

its why , when trump won the 2016 election, many of the intellectuals on twitter were dumbfounded.
they would say things like "i have 10,000 followers and not one of them voted for trump" Grin Grin

and if 10,000 people agree with you , then you are probably unlikely to admit you were "wrong'.
so your brain makes up some story about russiand collusion to keep it from frying.

the same thing is happening to trump supporters this time round.
they only know and interact with 10,000 other trump supporters online.
so their brain has to make up a story about election rigging.

at least freedivers forum does not divide everyone off into little cults.

imagine gweg and smith and the marsupial and karnal just talking to each other for weeks on end.  they are deranged already but such a scenario would make them much worse. we of the noble right , have a duty to try to educate them out of their "ideological possession"

IP Logged

Mix_Master
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #28 - Dec 1st, 2020 at 2:49pm

aquascoot wrote on Dec 1st, 2020 at 1:12pm:
there really isnt much point in admitting error on the internet.

in face to face communications , the nuance is possible but online , people dont get any ackowledgment for admitting error and especially not for apologising.

in fact, the haters will just use an admission of error as an excuse to "pile on".

its why the internet is a force of polarisation.

what would help would be if , the more people posted, the more they were sent commentary that disagreed with them

but facebook twtter google and youtube do the exact opposite, they want you in an echo chamber where everyone agrees with you because that feels nice and who doesnt want to feel nice.

its why , when trump won the 2016 election, many of the intellectuals on twitter were dumbfounded.
they would say things like "i have 10,000 followers and not one of them voted for trump" Grin Grin

and if 10,000 people agree with you , then you are probably unlikely to admit you were "wrong'.
so your brain makes up some story about russiand collusion to keep it from frying.

the same thing is happening to trump supporters this time round.
they only know and interact with 10,000 other trump supporters online.
so their brain has to make up a story about election rigging.

at least freedivers forum does not divide everyone off into little cults.

imagine gweg and smith and the marsupial and karnal just talking to each other for weeks on end.  they are deranged already but such a scenario would make them much worse. we of the noble right , have a duty to try to educate them out of their "ideological possession"

This already happens, in practice.

I mean, think about it this way...

The more you post, the more posts which disagree with you magically "appear".

In years to come, the social scientists will label it "the aquascoot phenomenon".

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #29 - Dec 1st, 2020 at 7:39pm

Mix_Master wrote on Dec 1st, 2020 at 7:51am:
cods wrote on Dec 1st, 2020 at 7:41am:
arent we all selective correct in our own minds... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

fd is a lefty and it is their god given right to be always right no matter what.

they dont care what anyone else thinks... Wink Wink

Um, OK then.

A "lefty" who starts thread after thread decrying the Union movement. A "Lefty" who decries Superannuation. One whose posts are very much "pro business" and "pro free market".

No, I think it's more you having an issue with "the left", and in typically binary fashion conflates someone who always believes they are "right", with the hated "left".

You could say that FD is a "right", who always thinks he's "right"?

Question:

Can two "rights" make a "wrong"?

Cods is right. I am a lefty. All of those positions are well founded in traditional left wing principles.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print