Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
$15 Minimum Wage (Read 1209 times)
Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

$15 Minimum Wage
Nov 28th, 2020 at 8:47pm

One of the first policies of a Biden Administration should be to enact a national minimum wage of $15 and to allow the establishment of trade unions.

The Progressive President

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: $15 Minimum Wage
Reply #1 - Nov 28th, 2020 at 8:51pm

Pretty sure trade unions already exist in the US.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Nov 28th, 2020 at 10:49pm

rhino wrote on Nov 28th, 2020 at 8:51pm:

Pretty sure trade unions don’t get to set federal minimum wages. I’m pretty sure they’d need to convince Congress to do that.

You?

IP Logged

Mortdooley
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Texas Gulf Coast
Reply #3 - Nov 29th, 2020 at 2:10am

So you think every business can pay a doubled minimum wage and stay in business. All it will do is make automation a cheaper alternative! Your fast food will be ordered from a kiosk or over your phone, prepared by a machine and the only employee will be the person feeding the machine. Inflation will devalue wages until business can afford $15 per hour.

The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. ~Ecc. 10:2

IP Logged

Marla
Gold Member

I really hate you

Colorado
Reply #4 - Nov 29th, 2020 at 5:18am

Yes and no. Both Democrats and Republicans have been dismantling them - more so with Republicans

I am a kid in the nuthouse. I am a kid in the psycho zone. Psycho Therapy I am going to burglarize your home.

IP Logged

Marla
Gold Member

I really hate you

Colorado
Reply #5 - Nov 29th, 2020 at 5:21am

Mortdooley wrote on Nov 29th, 2020 at 2:10am:
So you think every business can pay a doubled minimum wage and stay in business. All it will do is make automation a cheaper alternative! Your fast food will be ordered from a kiosk or over your phone, prepared by a machine and the only employee will be the person feeding the machine. Inflation will devalue wages until business can afford $15 per hour.

Why not, morty torty? Seeing you never worked a day in your miserable life you can do better than Koch-funded propaganda strawman arguments.

I am a kid in the nuthouse. I am a kid in the psycho zone. Psycho Therapy I am going to burglarize your home.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #6 - Nov 29th, 2020 at 4:30pm

Donald Trump: "Alabama is different from New York...."

The Progressive President

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Nov 29th, 2020 at 8:50pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Nov 28th, 2020 at 10:49pm:

Pretty sure trade unions don’t get to set federal minimum wages. I’m pretty sure they’d need to convince Congress to do that.

You?
rarrrrr, in a mood are we dear?

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Nov 29th, 2020 at 8:51pm

what happens Mort is that people spend more if they earn more. Guess what that creates?

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Nov 29th, 2020 at 9:36pm

rhino wrote on Nov 29th, 2020 at 8:51pm:
what happens Mort is that people spend more if they earn more. Guess what that creates?

I'd say it creates demand for their products and services.

You?

IP Logged

Mortdooley
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Texas Gulf Coast
Reply #10 - Nov 29th, 2020 at 10:47pm

You almost have a point, if you pay less in taxes more income is available to spend and the economy benefits. If a business raises prices because of higher wages they usually lose sales. If it costs more for child care it may make more economic sense to quit a job to stay home. An employer would have to try to raise wages to keep those employees and become less competitive as a result.  In many ways a higher minimum wage will just price labor out of many markets, it will also contribute to monetary inflation.

Minimum wage is starting wage for the young to prove their worth, it was never intended for careers. If you never get paid more than minimum wage you know what your time is worth! If you want to get paid more, go someplace where you are worth more to an employer!

The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. ~Ecc. 10:2

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Nov 29th, 2020 at 11:22pm

Mortdooley wrote on Nov 29th, 2020 at 10:47pm:

You almost have a point, if you pay less in taxes more income is available to spend and the economy benefits. If a business raises prices because of higher wages they usually lose sales. If it costs more for child care it may make more economic sense to quit a job to stay home. An employer would have to try to raise wages to keep those employees and become less competitive as a result.  In many ways a higher minimum wage will just price labor out of many markets, it will also contribute to monetary inflation.

Minimum wage is starting wage for the young to prove their worth, it was never intended for careers. If you never get paid more than minimum wage you know what your time is worth! If you want to get paid more, go someplace where you are worth more to an employer!

Right. Go and flip burgers at some other joint. Better still, buy the restaurant and pay yourself more.

Don't come crying to us.

IP Logged

Mortdooley
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Texas Gulf Coast
Reply #12 - Nov 30th, 2020 at 1:15am

Mattyfisk wrote on Nov 29th, 2020 at 11:22pm:
Mortdooley wrote on Nov 29th, 2020 at 10:47pm:

Right. Go and flip burgers at some other joint. Better still, buy the restaurant and pay yourself more.

Don't come crying to us.

Minimum wage is starting wage, not a career choice! We don't even need a minimum wage, It the pay is too small no one will take the job! The market will decide what wages should be.

IP Logged

Marla
Gold Member

I really hate you

Colorado
Reply #13 - Nov 30th, 2020 at 2:03am

You have no clue as to how basic economics work, morty torty.

The Texuun educational system, everybody.

IP Logged

AiA
Gold Member

Reply #14 - Nov 30th, 2020 at 6:55am

Mortdooley wrote on Nov 30th, 2020 at 1:15am:
The market will decide what wages should be.

The Mexicans will take those low-wage jobs, Mortee. And Republicans just love to hire them too.

“Jerry, just remember: It’s not a lie … if you believe it.” George Costanza
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print