Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dan the man doing great stuff - public housing (Read 988 times)
Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Dan the man doing great stuff - public housing
Nov 15th, 2020 at 9:59am

This is big.

Well done Dan.  Cool

'This will change lives': $5.3 billion social-housing construction blitz

By Jewel Topsfield and Royce Millar
November 15, 2020 — 5.30am

Victoria will pump $5.3 billion into building more than 12,000 homes within four years to tackle homelessness and create construction jobs in the biggest single spend on social housing in the state’s history.

After decades of under-investment, the number of households on the social-housing waiting list in Victoria had ballooned to 48,529 as of September 30, the equivalent of more than 100,000 people.

Construction of 9300 new social-housing homes – including replacing 1100 old public housing units – will be one of the cornerstones of this month's state budget.

Social housing includes both public and community housing and is provided to people on low incomes, with priority given to those who have experienced homelessness, family violence or mental health issues.

Victoria has the lowest proportion of social housing in Australia. Only 3.2 per cent of Victoria’s housing stock is social housing – about 81,000 dwellings – below the national average of 4.2 per cent.

The package is expected to generate $6.7 billion in economic activity and will boost the state’s social housing supply by 10 per cent within four years.

It also includes 2900 affordable homes, to be let at below-market rates, built to help people on low- to moderate incomes live closer to where they work.

A quarter of the $5.3 billion will be allocated to regional Victoria, where there is high demand for priority access to social housing in areas such as Geelong, Bendigo and Ballarat.

“This will change lives - giving thousands of Victorians the security and stability of a home and tens of thousands of Victorians a job,” Premier Daniel Andrews said.

The building industry has been urging the government to invest in social housing, with Master Builders Association of Victoria CEO Rebecca Casson saying almost 30,000 Victorian building and construction workers had lost their jobs since March.

Ten per cent of the work on the major housing projects will be done by apprentices, cadets and trainees and hundreds of jobs will be created for women, Aboriginal Victorians, people with a disability and social-housing tenants through social procurement targets.

In an interview with The SundayAge, Housing Minister Richard Wynne said the government would work with social-housing providers, the private sector and local government to deliver the housing.

“Without doubt this is the biggest commitment by any state government ever,” Mr Wynne said. “This makes a huge dent in the social housing waiting list.”

The first sites to be developed will be in West Heidelberg, Ascot Vale, Flemington, Hawthorn, Richmond and Ashburton.

Tenants of public housing are charged at no more than 25 per cent of their income and those in community housing, which is run by not-for-profit agencies, are charged no more than 30 per cent of their income.

Two thousand of the new social-housing homes will be allocated to people with mental illness, which accounts for a quarter of those on the priority waiting list.

Tenzin Laktso, who has post-traumatic stress disorder and cognitive depression, said public housing had made a huge difference to his life.

The 44-year-old has lived in public housing units since 2017. He spends 25 per cent of his disability pension on rent, which he says is manageable.

“Accommodation is the foundation for everything, for wellbeing, for going out and looking for jobs,” Mr Laktso said.

A new government agency, Homes Victoria, has been established to deliver and manage public housing.

It will spend $948 million spot purchasing properties, as well as in-progress or ready to build projects, where social and affordable housing is urgently needed as well as building on vacant sites the government already owns.

Combined with new housing from existing investments such as the controversial Public Housing Renewal program and Social Housing Growth Fund, construction of more than 15,800 new homes will begin over the next four years.

The state opposition has called on the government to make a record investment in social housing in the budget.

Opposition housing spokesman Tim Smith said: “A recent report by the Productivity Commission found the Andrews government spends less than half the national average per person on social housing.”

Victoria's big housing build

Victoria's $5.3 billion Big Housing Build will construct more than 12,000 homes across metropolitan and regional areas for social housing.

More than 9000 new homes will be built, including replacing 1100 old public housing units.

Almost 3000 more homes will be built to help people on low- to moderate incomes live closer to where they work.

$6.7 billion in economic activity is forecast, underwriting 10,000 jobs a year over the next four years.

www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/this-will-change-lives-5-3-billion-social-ho...

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Re: Dan the man doing great stuff - public housing
Reply #1 - Nov 15th, 2020 at 10:01am

Where's the money coming from?

IP Logged

Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #2 - Nov 15th, 2020 at 10:06am

Bobby. wrote on Nov 15th, 2020 at 10:01am:

0.1% interest rates.  Wink

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #3 - Nov 15th, 2020 at 10:27am

Captain Nemo wrote on Nov 15th, 2020 at 10:06am:

More borrowed money.
That's all the politicians have been doing since the GFC in 2008.
12 years of borrowing money.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #4 - Nov 15th, 2020 at 10:29am

Bobby. wrote on Nov 15th, 2020 at 10:27am:

More borrowed money.

Do you think homelessness should be tackled?

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #5 - Nov 16th, 2020 at 12:46pm

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Nov 15th, 2020 at 10:29am:

More borrowed money.

Spot

In the bush they call it happy camping and freedom.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Nov 16th, 2020 at 1:58pm

Well done to Dan ... for to long now state governments have been ignoring this issue hoping it would go away

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #7 - Nov 16th, 2020 at 2:14pm

The time you screw up hotel quarantine and put millions of people out of work who can't pay their mortgage and end up homeless so you build them free houses.

IBI

IP Logged

Belgarion
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Nov 16th, 2020 at 2:56pm

Thanks  to Chairman Dan there are 800 vacant beds in Victoria right now.

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Voltaire.....(possibly)

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Nov 16th, 2020 at 3:38pm

Quote:
The Australian’s Newspoll shows 62 per cent of Victorian voters agree the Premier has handled the health crisis well despite failures in hotel quarantine causing much of the state’s COVID-19 cases.

Separately, 61 per cent of voters around Australia, including 57 per cent of Coalition voters, said the restrictions, which have locked Victorians at home, were appropriate.

Grin Grin

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #10 - Dec 5th, 2020 at 4:51pm

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Nov 15th, 2020 at 10:29am:

More borrowed money.

Spot

I just want some honesty.
I want Dan to say that -

"because of me we're already way over our heads in debt
and I'm going to put us in even more debt -
so much so that - children not even born yet
will be paying it off for all of their lives."

IP Logged

Belgarion
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Dec 22nd, 2020 at 3:45pm

More expressions of support from Chairman Dan's masses.....https://www.3aw.com.au/premiers-electoral-office-targeted-in-another-graffiti-at...

Note the action of the Andrews apparatchik who tried to stop a photo being taken.

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Voltaire.....(possibly)

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Dec 22nd, 2020 at 4:37pm

Belgarion wrote on Dec 22nd, 2020 at 3:45pm:
More expressions of support from Chairman Dan's masses.....https://www.3aw.com.au/premiers-electoral-office-targeted-in-another-graffiti-at...

Note the action of the Andrews apparatchik who tried to stop a photo being taken.

I wonder who Murdick hired to do that?

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Belgarion
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Dec 23rd, 2020 at 9:55am

But wait, there's more....https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-22/victoria-cornavirus-hotel-quarantine-inqu...   

Or perhaps Murdoch is influencing the ABC as well?  Roll Eyes

Voltaire.....(possibly)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print